I brought home a new Colt Delta Elite today!!! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : I brought home a new Colt Delta Elite today!!!

21Carrier
12-01-2011, 17:03
So, after much debate and waiting, I finally had the time and money to go buy myself an early Christmas present: a new-in-box Colt Delta Elite. I have been lusting after this gun since I first saw it. I know some aren't the biggest fans, but to me, a new, stainless, Colt 1911 chambered in 10mm is pretty damn awesome. I'm not a fan of buying used guns unless it is no longer produced. I have been looking for a new Delta for a while, but they are only released in batches, and hard to find. So, when I walked into my local gun shop and saw this one sitting there (next to a perfect used one), I knew I had to have it. I quickly pushed the local used S&W 1076 out of my mind, and went for the Delta. Here it is:

http://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/h329/21Carrier/Colt%20Delta%20Elite%20Pictures/IMG_2148.jpg

http://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/h329/21Carrier/Colt%20Delta%20Elite%20Pictures/IMG_2151.jpg

http://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/h329/21Carrier/Colt%20Delta%20Elite%20Pictures/IMG_2155.jpg

http://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/h329/21Carrier/Colt%20Delta%20Elite%20Pictures/IMG_2152.jpg

http://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/h329/21Carrier/Colt%20Delta%20Elite%20Pictures/IMG_2159.jpg

http://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/h329/21Carrier/Colt%20Delta%20Elite%20Pictures/IMG_2160-1.jpg

4949shooter
12-01-2011, 17:06
She's a beauty. :thumbsup:

Congrats!

21Carrier
12-01-2011, 17:06
A few more:

http://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/h329/21Carrier/Colt%20Delta%20Elite%20Pictures/IMG_2144.jpg

The new family member meets its brothers (G29 and G20LS/21SF):
http://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/h329/21Carrier/Colt%20Delta%20Elite%20Pictures/IMG_2146.jpg

http://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/h329/21Carrier/Colt%20Delta%20Elite%20Pictures/IMG_2162.jpg

http://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/h329/21Carrier/Colt%20Delta%20Elite%20Pictures/IMG_2163.jpg

http://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/h329/21Carrier/Colt%20Delta%20Elite%20Pictures/IMG_2166.jpg

http://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/h329/21Carrier/Colt%20Delta%20Elite%20Pictures/IMG_2168.jpg

Angry Fist
12-01-2011, 17:07
:rock:

4949shooter
12-01-2011, 17:09
How did the other one look, Carrier? No takedown scratch? Any wear scratches on the barrel hood?

21Carrier
12-01-2011, 17:10
She's a beauty. :thumbsup:

Congrats!

Thanks! Damn! I meant to take pictures of the used one up there for you. I got excited and forgot. If you're still interested in it, I'll go take some pics Saturday. It's only a mile or two from my house, and I might go shoot at their new indoor range. It looks perfect, though. I didn't see if the left side has the so-called "idiot scratch", but I don't think so.

By the way, I got a pretty good deal on it. I talked them down to $917 (or something like that, $1,000 out the door) from $975. I haven't seen a new one that cheap ANYWHERE. I was happy with that. I think the lowest I've seen was $925 on the internet, so that's fine with me. I'll be shooting it extensively this weekend, so I'll have a detailed report on it.

4949shooter
12-01-2011, 17:25
Thanks! Damn! I meant to take pictures of the used one up there for you. I got excited and forgot. If you're still interested in it, I'll go take some pics Saturday. It's only a mile or two from my house, and I might go shoot at their new indoor range. It looks perfect, though. I didn't see if the left side has the so-called "idiot scratch", but I don't think so.

By the way, I got a pretty good deal on it. I talked them down to $917 (or something like that, $1,000 out the door) from $975. I haven't seen a new one that cheap ANYWHERE. I was happy with that. I think the lowest I've seen was $925 on the internet, so that's fine with me. I'll be shooting it extensively this weekend, so I'll have a detailed report on it.

Thanks Bro. Don't go out of your way, I will let you know when and if I am ready. I was wondering if they would be willing to talk on price. I mean now that the new one is gone, if they would be interested in coming down to $900 or so on the used one. An idiot scratch would most likely be a deal killer for me though.

dsb1829
12-01-2011, 17:25
Verynice.

G29SF
12-01-2011, 17:29

I have one on order (I too have been lusting over a stainless 1911 Delta Elite -- I actually owned an early blued model in the late 80s but sold it... dumb, dumb, dumb :brickwall: ) but have not been thinking about it lately... until now!

They are sexy aren't they?

4949shooter
12-01-2011, 17:30

They are sexy aren't they?

Yep. :cool:

Taterhead
12-01-2011, 17:57
WOOOOHHHHOOOOOO! Awesome. I want one too. Some day. Some day. Of course looking forward to the range report!

Have fun. Should be a nice pistol.

_The_Shadow
12-01-2011, 18:00
Damn Carrier! You got me itchin' for a Delta...Have fun and enjoy that fine piece of American workmanship! On the 100th year of the 1911 too...:cool:

Taterhead
12-01-2011, 18:15
Have you selected a choice round of ammo for its maiden voyage? Something worthy, I presume.

JimIsland
12-01-2011, 18:29
You got the new one....cool but now I'm Jealous!!! That is one sexy piece brother:wow:

ModGlock17
12-01-2011, 18:35
Wow. Very nice.

I'd keep it virgin for awhile.

agtman
12-01-2011, 18:43
Yep, that's real nice looking! Congrats!

Let us know how it shoots. :cool:

twisted1
12-01-2011, 18:50
Dang she's beautiful! How it shoots?

Crosseyed Shooter
12-01-2011, 19:17
Good decision. I got mine last month and have no regrets.

arushus
12-01-2011, 21:09
Congrats man! Ive got some catching up to do! First a longslide, then a delta!

oceanbob
12-01-2011, 21:35
Wow, what a piece of ARTWORK....extremely crisp and handsome. Go buy the used one and shoot that. Save this one for the safe. $

( I know....it's only money..)

:supergrin:

have fun..

You will notice much more recoil on this puppy. But they are very accurate.

Be well, Bob

B.Reid
12-02-2011, 00:02
Very nice!

21Carrier
12-02-2011, 00:12
Thanks Bro. Don't go out of your way, I will let you know when and if I am ready. I was wondering if they would be willing to talk on price. I mean now that the new one is gone, if they would be interested in coming down to $900 or so on the used one. An idiot scratch would most likely be a deal killer for me though.

I'm sure they will come down on the price. Especially if you tell them you know me, and know that I just bought a NEW one for $917. A used one for $1050 doesn't make much sense. Plus, the guy was a total pushover. I wish I had started lower. I said, "I want it, and will buy it for $1000, out the door. Can you make that happen?" He went to the computer for a minute, then came back and said yes. I was expecting at least a LITTLE debate. I'll go back up there this weekend and take pictures of the other one for you.

Damn Carrier! You got me itchin' for a Delta...Have fun and enjoy that fine piece of American workmanship! On the 100th year of the 1911 too...:cool:

That is pretty cool that it's on the 100th anniversary. I like that.

Have you selected a choice round of ammo for its maiden voyage? Something worthy, I presume.

It will not be weak, that's for sure. However, I don't want a repeat of the G20LS near KB. I'll probably load up some full power 155gr and 180gr XTPs with Blue Dot. I'll start about .5gr below what I know is safe in the Glocks, then bring a workup. I'll make sure to bring at least 100 of the full-power stuff to give it a good workout and check for support. By the way, the support looks a little better than the Glocks, but it exposes more of the base. I mean, the unsupported area doesn't go as far up the case, but extends around it further. So, a Deltasmile would look like a Glocksmile, but about 1/2 the way around the case (instead of just in the feed ramp). We will see what it can handle. Maybe an aftermarket barrel will be in its future.

Wow. Very nice.

I'd keep it virgin for awhile.

If you mean stock, I will. If you mean unfired, not a chance. I will baby the everliving hell out of this gun, but it's gonna get shot, and hard. I will be cautious of scratches and such, but I'm gonna put it through its paces.

Wow, what a piece of ARTWORK....extremely crisp and handsome. Go buy the used one and shoot that. Save this one for the safe. $

( I know....it's only money..)

:supergrin:

have fun..

You will notice much more recoil on this puppy. But they are very accurate.

Be well, Bob

I know, I almost feel guilty about shooting it. ALMOST. I'm expecting the recoil to be a bit stiffer. It's funny noticing all the differences between the 1911 and Glock. When I go to aim at something, I find myself looking at the hammer, not the sights. It's not so much a grip angle thing, but rather because the bore axis is so much higher. The sights are MUCH higher above my hand than with a Glock. Also, the SA trigger is really sweet. The trigger setup on my G20LS is about perfect for a Glock, but there's nothing like a single action pull.

21Carrier
12-02-2011, 01:03
By the way, I now see why 1911s are so accurate, and why people who shoot 1911s accurately struggle when converting to Glocks. I was doing some dry-firing with the Delta, and I was AMAZED at how the sights absolutely do not move AT ALL when the trigger breaks. With the Glock, you really have to focus on holding them still. It's almost like the 1911 is idiot-proof. Now, mind you, I haven't fired it yet, but all you have to do is hold the sights on target. It seems you don't even have to worry about screwing up the pull. I can't wait to put some rounds through it!!!!!

Reboot
12-02-2011, 01:15
There's something alluring about the Colt Delta Elite that makes me want it even though I think it's a plain looking 1911. Maybe it's the red delta on the grips or maybe it's because it's a 1911 that shoots the more powerful 10mm round. i don't know but I know I want one!

Congratulations. I want to read your shooting impressions after you've spent time with it. I'd like to hear your thoughts when comparing the Delta Elite with your G20SF.

Glock Master
12-02-2011, 05:29
Congratulations on the Colt Delta Elite 10MM:perfect10:.

nickE10mm
12-02-2011, 06:59
By the way, I now see why 1911s are so accurate, and why people who shoot 1911s accurately struggle when converting to Glocks. I was doing some dry-firing with the Delta, and I was AMAZED at how the sights absolutely do not move AT ALL when the trigger breaks. With the Glock, you really have to focus on holding them still. It's almost like the 1911 is idiot-proof. Now, mind you, I haven't fired it yet, but all you have to do is hold the sights on target. It seems you don't even have to worry about screwing up the pull. I can't wait to put some rounds through it!!!!!

Here's what I've noticed about 1911's.... pulling the trigger is great, ONCE... LOL. Then your hand will start to grip harder and harder due to flinch/recoil and that nearly outweighs the better trigger. You will still have to practice quite a bit. There are nuances you will discover with 1911's. One of the important advantages with the Glocks in 10mm is their wide, polymer grip. Most overlook this aspect. Its almost an accuracy 'enhancer' due to the dampening of recoil.

That being said, I still prefer my 1911's over Glocks. :)

Let us know how it shoots .... FULL REPORT, my friend. That is once beautiful pistol. Only thing wrong with it is that you haven't put any rounds through it. WOOHOO!!

Jitterbug
12-02-2011, 08:13
Congratulations 21, fine looking pistol and I'm glad for you that you have a 2011 model, I think soon enough that will enhance the value of the pistol and in more ways then one...a lot slimmer eh?

I find the 1911 more ergonomically fitted to my hand/grip then the Glock, I have not handled a SF so that could change my mind. But something about a 1911 say's this is what a pistol should feel like in hand, no other handgun compares.

I've always been a trigger snob, got that way as a kid shooting long distance rifle, the 1911 will give the best trigger, some may require some tweaking, but you can get them there.

I'd break it in easy 21, watching that recoil assembly (I'd be curious to know what it is) and keeping that young Colt well lubed, I use FP10 and TWR25 on mine. I wouldn't go more then 100 rounds first time out and I'd bring some FP10 or other good gun oil and put a drop on the rails a time or two in between.

Clean, lube and shoot and repeat.

I'm sure you've already broken it down and cleaned, lubed and inspected before you shoot it.

As far as scratches and dings, my Dan Wesson has more then a few since it's a working gun, gives it character in my mind, however a Scotch brite pad along the grain every now and again goes a long way to cleaning those up, even the obligatory idiot scratch I put on mine. First time I tried it I was blown away with the excellent and easy results.

I don't find 10mm recoil especially troublesome, but I found the G29 more abusive, darn thing bit my trigger finger with hot loads, of course recoil is subjective.

Nice 10mm collection you got going there.

21Carrier
12-02-2011, 10:38
Congratulations 21, fine looking pistol and I'm glad for you that you have a 2011 model, I think soon enough that will enhance the value of the pistol and in more ways then one...a lot slimmer eh?

I find the 1911 more ergonomically fitted to my hand/grip then the Glock, I have not handled a SF so that could change my mind. But something about a 1911 say's this is what a pistol should feel like in hand, no other handgun compares.

I've always been a trigger snob, got that way as a kid shooting long distance rifle, the 1911 will give the best trigger, some may require some tweaking, but you can get them there.

I'd break it in easy 21, watching that recoil assembly (I'd be curious to know what it is) and keeping that young Colt well lubed, I use FP10 and TWR25 on mine. I wouldn't go more then 100 rounds first time out and I'd bring some FP10 or other good gun oil and put a drop on the rails a time or two in between.

I'm sure you've already broken it down and cleaned, lubed and inspected before you shoot it.

As far as scratches and dings, my Dan Wesson has more then a few since it's a working gun, gives it character in my mind, however a Scotch brite pad along the grain every now and again goes a long way to cleaning those up, even the obligatory idiot scratch I put on mine. First time I tried it I was blown away with the excellent and easy results.

I don't find 10mm recoil especially troublesome, but I found the G29 more abusive, darn thing bit my trigger finger with hot loads, of course recoil is subjective.

Nice 10mm collection you got going there.

It's funny that you say that about 1911s being more fitted to your hand. I'm the opposite way. Glocks, and especially the bigger Glocks, feel like they were made for my hand. I think it's just from shooting them so much. It will take a while to get used to the 1911, but it does feel good. I did break the gun down and clean it as soon as I got home. I'll post some pictures of the recoil assembly later tonight. It is a plastic guide rod with dual springs. I'll make sure to keep it lubed well. It is pretty wet as it sits. Thanks for the advice, Jitterbug.

nickE10mm
12-02-2011, 11:02

+100 on FP-10. Clean, shoot and repeat.

cigarman454
12-02-2011, 12:03
CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR NEW 10MM! Hope yours is better than mine was. I had a early model when they first came out. Wouldn't feed hollow points and was inaccurate. That was until I did a little work on it. Changed the angle on the feed ramp ever so slightly, welded the barrel lug that locks into the slide and reground it, chromed up the barrel bushing and jig ground it. Wow what a difference, nice gun after that. This was one I wish I never would of parted with.

alwaysshootin
12-02-2011, 12:40
That is flat out a beautiful firearm! Congrats on adding it to your 10MM collection. I am jealous, because a Delta has been on my wish list for a few years now, and can never seem to find one. One thing I would like to mention, is, I can't believe that 1911 doesn't come with a high rise beaver tail. If ever there was a caliber where it was needed. Glad my Kimber came with one!:wavey:

CanyonMan
12-02-2011, 12:45
So, after much debate and waiting, I finally had the time and money to go buy myself an early Christmas present: a new-in-box Colt Delta Elite. I have been lusting after this gun since I first saw it. I know some aren't the biggest fans, but to me, a new, stainless, Colt 1911 chambered in 10mm is pretty damn awesome. I'm not a fan of buying used guns unless it is no longer produced. I have been looking for a new Delta for a while, but they are only released in batches, and hard to find. So, when I walked into my local gun shop and saw this one sitting there (next to a perfect used one), I knew I had to have it. I quickly pushed the local used S&W 1076 out of my mind, and went for the Delta. Here it is:

http://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/h329/21Carrier/Colt%20Delta%20Elite%20Pictures/IMG_2148.jpg

http://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/h329/21Carrier/Colt%20Delta%20Elite%20Pictures/IMG_2151.jpg

http://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/h329/21Carrier/Colt%20Delta%20Elite%20Pictures/IMG_2155.jpg

http://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/h329/21Carrier/Colt%20Delta%20Elite%20Pictures/IMG_2152.jpg

http://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/h329/21Carrier/Colt%20Delta%20Elite%20Pictures/IMG_2159.jpg

http://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/h329/21Carrier/Colt%20Delta%20Elite%20Pictures/IMG_2160-1.jpg

Amigo. I wish you'd stop posting these pics ! Every where I go on GT here is this DE starring at me ! haha.

Man I am happy as can be for ya, but your making me really want one more than I already wanted one. We drove in to Dallas over the weekend to a gun show there and I came real close, but just could not shell out that kinda $$$$ for it yet.

Now I keep seeing these pics every where, and wish I would have just 'made it happen.' haha. I love 1911's, no secret around here, and been wanting one of these " in a 10mm" for a long time, OR something like it at least, in 1911 platform.

Some day ! Some day !

Very nice. Enjoy it Pard.

CM

JPP
12-02-2011, 13:00
I am not a 1911 fan, but your DE looks very, very nice.
Congrats!

CanyonMan
12-02-2011, 13:15
BTW....

I just noticed in those pics, how Glock got his nasty little nose "rubbed in the dirt," buy using the barrel to help show off that new DE !! :rofl:

Man I got to stop looking at your pics... :supergrin:

CM

nickE10mm
12-02-2011, 13:31

CM

Uh, oh.... I see a new Delta in CM's future! ;)

CanyonMan
12-02-2011, 13:55
Uh, oh.... I see a new Delta in CM's future! ;)

This has been a absolutely lousy do nothing "for me," day today out here, so I got caught up on GT this morning... Ha. And your right as rain man. It is coming ! In fact, rather than get off my butt and truly 'find (plenty) I could do,' I been sitting around figuring out how to squeeze out all the $$$ I need to call those folks up from the Dallas gun show we went to and get that DE !!!

I don't need it. I just flat want it ! :supergrin:

At least I'm honest about it ! :whistling: :whistling: Well maybe I "need it." :cool:

Thanks for helping me out Nick ! ha !

CM

nickE10mm
12-02-2011, 13:58
This has been a absolutely lousy do nothing "for me," day today out here, so I got caught up on GT this morning... Ha. And your right as rain man. It is coming ! In fact, rather than get off my butt and truly 'find (plenty) I could do,' I been sitting around figuring out how to squeeze out all the $$$ I need to call those folks up from the Dallas gun show we went to and get that DE !!!

I don't need it. I just flat want it ! :supergrin:

At least I'm honest about it ! :whistling: :whistling: Well maybe I "need it." :cool:

Thanks for helping me out Nick ! ha !

CM

HA! I know the sound of gun lust.... :) Heard that tune many times... and its probably way worse in that you could probably do it if you wanted... and you're undoubtedly rationalizing that "you could sell it anyday" and "you went easy last Christmas so this time its okay" or "you didn't get a birthday present this year" or "your cat has gray eyes" and so on and so forth.

Just do it. :) LOL!! sorry i had to say it

CanyonMan
12-02-2011, 14:23
HA! I know the sound of gun lust.... :) Heard that tune many times... and its probably way worse in that you could probably do it if you wanted... and you're undoubtedly rationalizing that "you could sell it anyday" and "you went easy last Christmas so this time its okay" or "you didn't get a birthday present this year" or "your cat has gray eyes" and so on and so forth.

Just do it. :) LOL!! sorry i had to say it

What I hate is, the part about what you just "had to say" is ALL TRUE !!!!!!!!!

Except I hate cats ! :tongueout:

Again Nick, I can't thank ya enough for your continued help, and building a grand stand and sitting on it to cheer me on in this ! :supergrin: :faint:

Later amigo !

CM

Jitterbug
12-02-2011, 15:23
I rationalized my last gun purchase by telling my wife her Mother has Grizzly bears...get creative man!

Need a .44 for those Grizzer's.

nickE10mm
12-02-2011, 15:37
What I hate is, the part about what you just "had to say" is ALL TRUE !!!!!!!!!

Except I hate cats ! :tongueout:

Again Nick, I can't thank ya enough for your continued help, and building a grand stand and sitting on it to cheer me on in this ! :supergrin: :faint:

Later amigo !

CM

That's what I'm here for, brother! (and for what its worth, I don't like cats either, haha)

CanyonMan
12-02-2011, 16:08
That's what I'm here for, brother! (and for what its worth, I don't like cats either, haha)

You'll be the FIRST to know Nick ! :thumbsup:

Stay safe amigo !

Gotta run for now..

CM

ModGlock17
12-02-2011, 17:09
Here's one if you feel the urge:

http://floridaguntrader.com/index.php?a=2&b=134470

CanyonMan
12-02-2011, 17:39
I rationalized my last gun purchase by telling my wife her Mother has Grizzly bears...get creative man!

Need a .44 for those Grizzer's.

Well as you know, I bought a "new" 44 to play with all the others I got, and as you also know amigo, it has been back at the factory longer than I've had it ! (S&W btw)

So, I deserve to use that for an excuse to get the DE. Is that creative enough ? haha.

CM

danattherock
12-02-2011, 21:24
Hope you enjoy yours. Got one a few weeks back and love it. Take it and my G20 out often in recent weeks and enjoy both, but they are apples and oranges. Very different guns for sure. Sending my Delta Elite to Robar soon for NP3, trigger job, beavertail, etc... Can't wait.

Got these grips from the 1911-grips.com. He has some nice stuff for the Delta Elite and can make about anything I suspect. These are VZ grips with the medallions.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7009/6444731591_aa89250ce7.jpg

-Dan

21Carrier
12-02-2011, 21:47
That is flat out a beautiful firearm! Congrats on adding it to your 10MM collection. I am jealous, because a Delta has been on my wish list for a few years now, and can never seem to find one. One thing I would like to mention, is, I can't believe that 1911 doesn't come with a high rise beaver tail. If ever there was a caliber where it was needed. Glad my Kimber came with one!:wavey:

Thanks! I have been in the same boat. I have wanted one since I first saw one, but I never really had the money (probably could have made it work), and could never find a new one. I found a used one a while back, and it REALLY got to me, but I never thought I'd be truly happy having a gun with scratches (no matter how small) that someone else had made. This gun is flawless. So, if it gets scratched, I put it there. I can live with that. It's tough to find a new one, and when one fell in my lap, I had to get it. About the beavertail, no kidding, right?! I'm worried this one is going to hurt my hand. I guess we'll see. Maybe not. If I get a wider beavertail for it, it will likely be a drop-in type that will not require cutting the frame (so I can return it to stock). I think Wilson makes such a part.

By the way, if anyone else wants one (Canyon Man, I'm talking to you :supergrin:), here's a website I found that says the have one. Who knows if it's sold, but it's worth a try, and it's at a decent price ($925):

http://www.felandgunsmith.com/firearms_for_sale.htm

Also, if you go to Novak's website (yes, the sight company), it says they are a Colt dealer, and they say they have a Delta (or maybe a few). All are new.

Amigo. I wish you'd stop posting these pics ! Every where I go on GT here is this DE starring at me ! haha.

Man I am happy as can be for ya, but your making me really want one more than I already wanted one. We drove in to Dallas over the weekend to a gun show there and I came real close, but just could not shell out that kinda $$$$ for it yet.

Now I keep seeing these pics every where, and wish I would have just 'made it happen.' haha. I love 1911's, no secret around here, and been wanting one of these " in a 10mm" for a long time, OR something like it at least, in 1911 platform.

Some day ! Some day !

Very nice. Enjoy it Pard.

CM

I'm sure you will get one someday. I can't wait to give my shooting impressions, but I think I'm really going to like it. I LOVE the grips, and especially the part in the front. The new texture (vs. the old Delta texture) is really aggressive and really locks it in your hand. But since it's rubber, it shouldn't rub you raw. I'm about to post MORE pictures for you. :tongueout:

BTW....

I just noticed in those pics, how Glock got his nasty little nose "rubbed in the dirt," buy using the barrel to help show off that new DE !! :rofl:

CM

Yeah, I had to prop it up with something, and the G21SF slide was sitting right there. I figured I would use the .45ACP barrel. Just another way of showing how the 10mm makes the .45ACP its *****.

Hope you enjoy yours. Got one a few weeks back and love it. Take it and my G20 out often in recent weeks and enjoy both, but they are apples and oranges. Very different guns for sure. Sending my Delta Elite to Robar soon for NP3, trigger job, beavertail, etc... Can't wait.

Got these grips from the 1911-grips.com. He has some nice stuff for the Delta Elite and can make about anything I suspect. These are VZ grips with the medallions.

-Dan

Thanks for the link. Those look nice as hell. I'll probably keep the stock ones, at least for a while. I really like the front part of the grips. To me, it feels even better than front strap checkering.

I'll be loading up a bunch of rounds tomorrow, and shooting either tomorrow afternoon or Sunday. Also, I'm about to detail strip the gun and take pictures (to show the recoil assembly for Jitterbug, and for fun). I'll have them up in a minute. I always had the impression that 1911s were really complicated. They aren't. The slide is less complicated than a Glock, even being a Series 80. They aren't quite as simple as a Glock, but they aren't that bad, either.

alwaysshootin
12-02-2011, 22:05
Any part going on a 1911 gets fitted to the gun!!!!! The firearm gets "no" changes in dimension. Any part you pull off, has been fitted to the gun, and once you figure how to take off the beaver tail, you will see/know what has to be done to fit the new one. It's not real hard!

With that low of a tail, it's going to have some muzzle jump, and just a little more perceived recoil, but you will really appreciate the high ride. It is a very very worthwhile mod to any caliber 1911 IMHO. Again congrats, it's top on my want list.

THE PUNISHER
12-02-2011, 22:08
man first it was the long slide and now the 1911....whats next?....man you've got it bad and I bet it feels GOOD!

lets us know how it shoots and watch the "idiot" make.

21Carrier
12-02-2011, 22:17
Any part going on a 1911 gets fitted to the gun!!!!! The firearm gets "no" changes in dimension. Any part you pull off, has been fitted to the gun, and once you figure how to take off the beaver tail, you will see/know what has to be done to fit the new one. It's not real hard!

With that low of a tail, it's going to have some muzzle jump, and just a little more perceived recoil, but you will really appreciate the high ride. It is a very very worthwhile mod to any caliber 1911 IMHO. Again congrats, it's top on my want list.

That's true with 99% of parts, but not with THIS gun and beavertails. The Delta (and other GI type 1911s, I think) has the standard flanges near the beavertail. They are pointed, and do not have the radiused cut. To install a wide beavertail on a Delta, you have to cut the tips off of the back of the frame. You have to use a .25" radius jig to make the cut. Just look at the rear of my frame compared to a 1911 with a wide beavertail and you'll see what I'm talking about.

CanyonMan
12-02-2011, 22:23
Thanks! I have been in the same boat. I have wanted one since I first saw one, but I never really had the money (probably could have made it work), and could never find a new one. I found a used one a while back, and it REALLY got to me, but I never thought I'd be truly happy having a gun with scratches (no matter how small) that someone else had made. This gun is flawless. So, if it gets scratched, I put it there. I can live with that. It's tough to find a new one, and when one fell in my lap, I had to get it. About the beavertail, no kidding, right?! I'm worried this one is going to hurt my hand. I guess we'll see. Maybe not. If I get a wider beavertail for it, it will likely be a drop-in type that will not require cutting the frame (so I can return it to stock). I think Wilson makes such a part.

By the way, if anyone else wants one (Canyon Man, I'm talking to you :supergrin:), here's a website I found that says the have one. Who knows if it's sold, but it's worth a try, and it's at a decent price ($925):

http://www.felandgunsmith.com/firearms_for_sale.htm

Also, if you go to Novak's website (yes, the sight company), it says they are a Colt dealer, and they say they have a Delta (or maybe a few). All are new.

I'm sure you will get one someday. I can't wait to give my shooting impressions, but I think I'm really going to like it. I LOVE the grips, and especially the part in the front. The new texture (vs. the old Delta texture) is really aggressive and really locks it in your hand. But since it's rubber, it shouldn't rub you raw. I'm about to post MORE pictures for you. :tongueout:

Yeah, I had to prop it up with something, and the G21SF slide was sitting right there. I figured I would use the .45ACP barrel. Just another way of showing how the 10mm makes the .45ACP its *****.

Thanks for the link. Those look nice as hell. I'll probably keep the stock ones, at least for a while. I really like the front part of the grips. To me, it feels even better than front strap checkering.

I'll be loading up a bunch of rounds tomorrow, and shooting either tomorrow afternoon or Sunday. Also, I'm about to detail strip the gun and take pictures (to show the recoil assembly for Jitterbug, and for fun). I'll have them up in a minute. I always had the impression that 1911s were really complicated. They aren't. The slide is less complicated than a Glock, even being a Series 80. They aren't quite as simple as a Glock, but they aren't that bad, either.

Hey amigo thanks for the heads up. I will check out the link. You sure are making this sound attarctive ! haha.

Enjoy it man... I know ya will. ;)

CM

21Carrier
12-02-2011, 22:24
man first it was the long slide and now the 1911....whats next?....man you've got it bad and I bet it feels GOOD!

lets us know how it shoots and watch the "idiot" make.

I know. I've got it bad. What's worse is that I'll probably buy this local S&W 1076 in a month or so if it's still there (which it probably will be). After that, I will probably let the collection rest for a while. I think 5 guns (6 including the G20LS conversion) would be a good start, especially with four being 10mm. I really wanted the Smith until I ran across the NIB Delta. I knew I couldn't let it slip away, so I had to put the S&W on the back burner. The sad part is that I really NEED a small carry gun, but I am buying 10mm guns that I DON'T need. It's bad. I need a G26/33 or maybe a small 9mm like a Kahr CM9 for carry at work. I've been carrying my G29 in my boot, and it's annoying. I'm used to it, but it's heavy if I have to run or jump, and the draw would take AT LEAST 3-4 seconds, probably more.

I went into the local pawn shop (where the 1076 is) to rub it in that I just bought the Delta. I was trying to let them know that I was serious about buying guns, but I would keep passing on the 1076 until they come down on the price. I made that clear, and it seemed to work. Then, I noticed a Ruger LC9 that looked great for a great price. If both are still there in a little while, I might have to try and make a package deal. I bet I could get both for a great price.

Did you mean to say "idiot MARK"? If so, trust me, I've been VERY careful. This gun will never have such a mark. I'm SO glad I learned about it BEFORE I bought the gun.

alwaysshootin
12-02-2011, 22:41
That's true with 99% of parts, but not with THIS gun and beavertails. The Delta (and other GI type 1911s, I think) has the standard flanges near the beavertail. They are pointed, and do not have the radiused cut. To install a wide beavertail on a Delta, you have to cut the tips off of the back of the frame. You have to use a .25" radius jig to make the cut. Just look at the rear of my frame compared to a 1911 with a wide beavertail and you'll see what I'm talking about.

My best bud fitted one to my Mil-Spec Springer, not sure if the Delta has a different frame configuration, and not sure if it is a "wide" as you speak of, but it sure helped to do the things I mentioned they benefit.

Reboot
12-02-2011, 23:42

-Dan

Those. Are...AWESOME!!!

Glock40man
12-02-2011, 23:58
Congrats on a beautiful Colt 21 Carrier.:cool:

nickE10mm
12-03-2011, 06:32
I know. I've got it bad. What's worse is that I'll probably buy this local S&W 1076 in a month or so if it's still there (which it probably will be). After that, I will probably let the collection rest for a while. I think 5 guns (6 including the G20LS conversion) would be a good start, especially with four being 10mm. I really wanted the Smith until I ran across the NIB Delta. I knew I couldn't let it slip away, so I had to put the S&W on the back burner. The sad part is that I really NEED a small carry gun, but I am buying 10mm guns that I DON'T need. It's bad. I need a G26/33 or maybe a small 9mm like a Kahr CM9 for carry at work. I've been carrying my G29 in my boot, and it's annoying. I'm used to it, but it's heavy if I have to run or jump, and the draw would take AT LEAST 3-4 seconds, probably more.

I went into the local pawn shop (where the 1076 is) to rub it in that I just bought the Delta. I was trying to let them know that I was serious about buying guns, but I would keep passing on the 1076 until they come down on the price. I made that clear, and it seemed to work. Then, I noticed a Ruger LC9 that looked great for a great price. If both are still there in a little while, I might have to try and make a package deal. I bet I could get both for a great price.

Did you mean to say "idiot MARK"? If so, trust me, I've been VERY careful. This gun will never have such a mark. I'm SO glad I learned about it BEFORE I bought the gun.

We have joked around about "idiot marks" for years and I know people have been talking about them for even longer than I've been around.... but there are also guys on the forum that will tell you "they don't trust a man without an idiot mark on their pistol" LOL!! I always got a good laugh when I hear that one. My point is, you may give your pistol one, you may not. I'll be honest, I had a bad one on my first 1911, a Norinco .45 ... didn't bother me too much. I ALMOST put one on my longslide because it is fitted so tightly and I was being rushed to finish reassembly.... but no marks as of yet. And when I say fitted tightly, I mean, it was TOO tight in a few areas (not for fuction but rather for maintenance / disassembly / reassembly). Anyways, its smoothed out after many field strips... but just be aware, it can happen. I've kept all of my 1911's free of this mark (except my first, MANY years back) and I plan on keeping it that way.... but if it does happen, don't kill yourself over it. Its not the end of the world and can even be fixed if you wish.

I"m anxious to see how you like it. Put some rounds through that puppy!

arushus
12-03-2011, 14:54
what is an idiot mark?

_The_Shadow
12-03-2011, 15:19
Idiot marks are things like scratches or nicks from user mistakes.
example; the slide lock lever scratching the frame while removing or putting the slide stop back in the gun.

Banging the slide against the frame rails, dropping the slide on to the frame leaving character marks.

Then there are the do it yourself screw driver jockeys, where the screw driver damages the screw or slips to scratch up things.

21Carrier
12-03-2011, 15:51
what is an idiot mark?

While there may be many different types, the one to which I was referring, and the one generally accepted as "THE idiot mark", is under the slide release or slide stop lever. On a 1911, the slide release lever has a pin that goes through the frame rails and through the barrel link. This holds the slide/barrel onto the frame. When reassembling it after a field strip, you have to push the slide stop lever almost all the way in, then push it up while pushing it in to get it around the safety plunger on the side of the gun. Some people apparently push it all the way against the slide, then push it up and under the safety plunger. When you do that, the back of the slide stop lever scratches the frame. It's usually pretty bad. It's takes a bit of practice to learn how to get it back in without scratching the frame. Here's a picture of one:

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQRC8ZOouRahQeNTYCrfzU3NUA86TlwP9U1jwY2nn9C2eVLzOIbgXpaJUQh7A

21Carrier
12-03-2011, 16:31
By the way, I never realized Colt had such an allure among 1911 guys. I know Colt has an amazing history and all, but I never realized how much people like them. I went to a local gun shop today (not where I bought it) to get reloading supplies and a holster for the Delta. I decided to bring the Delta in (in the box) to test fit some holsters. People were all over me asking to see my Colt. It was weird. This one older gentleman behind the gun counter actually started yelling at me when I was heading up to the front to pay. He motioned for me to come over. I thought I was in trouble for bringing it in or something. He asked what it was, and said he just had to see it since he saw that blue Colt case. He had never seen a Delta, and played with it for a minute. They all came over and were drooling over it.

I just thought it was funny. I guess I never realized how the Colt brand really captivated people. Also, I detail stripped it last night, and cleaned/lubed everything well. I did it because there was a bit of grit in the trigger. Now it feels perfect. I think it was just dirty or had some metal filings in it. Here are some pictures of the recoil spring assembly and the insides of the gun.

http://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/h329/21Carrier/IMG_2170.jpg

http://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/h329/21Carrier/IMG_2171.jpg

You can see that there are two little metal bushings on either side of the plastic guide rod end cap.
http://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/h329/21Carrier/IMG_2172.jpg

http://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/h329/21Carrier/IMG_2173.jpg

Also, I talked to another 10mm fan for about 30 minutes. He was an employee there, and we talked about loads and all for a while. He helped me find a holster for it. He said he has a G20 and S&W 610. I always like meeting 10mm fans. I'm about to load up about 400 rounds for tomorrow. I can't wait!!!

4949shooter
12-03-2011, 16:38
Here's a picture of one:

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQRC8ZOouRahQeNTYCrfzU3NUA86TlwP9U1jwY2nn9C2eVLzOIbgXpaJUQh7A

That is horrendous.

Back when I went through firearms instructor school at my LE agency, the instructor asked us to bring in some firearms other than the Sig we carry. This was to get the new instructors familiar with other platforms. Like an idiot, I brought in my pristine Colt XSE Combat Commander. The "familiarization weapons" were all on a table, and I "thought" one of the course instructors was watching them. Sure enough, when I went to retrieve my Colt, there was an idiot scratch on the frame. Someone had broken my Colt down without my permission and scratched it. I was pissed. I went to the lead instructor of the course and demanded to know how this happened. He was sympathetic, but of course no one owned up to it.

I ended up contacting Colt. They agreed to fix it for me. I sent it back to them, and they repolished the entire gun. It came back looking better than it had before it was damaged. What did Colt charge me for the work? $0.00. All I had to pay for was shipping. Colt is a great company, with excellent customer service.

Here she is on the left:

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh289/4949shooter/Gun%20Pics/040.jpg

nickE10mm
12-03-2011, 18:56
Shadow ... I've never seen a mark like that pic u posted. Must have been a REALLLL IDIOT! Hahahah!! Just kidding. But wow. Bad. I'd probably punish myself if I did that. Hope it's nobody you know. <snicker> most of the marks I see are really superficial but DO stick out to 1911 guys.

_The_Shadow
12-03-2011, 20:00
Nick, I didn't post that pic, I believe Carrier did, but it was nasty to say the least!

alwaysshootin
12-03-2011, 20:38
Quote from 21 carrier! "I just thought it was funny. I guess I never realized how the Colt brand really captivated people".

When it comes to 1911's, there's Colt, and everyone else!!!:cool:

21Carrier
12-03-2011, 21:20
Quote from 21 carrier! "I just thought it was funny. I guess I never realized how the Colt brand really captivated people".

When it comes to 1911's, there's Colt, and everyone else!!!:cool:

Apparently so. It just took me by surprise. I wasn't expecting that at all. It was like I was carrying around a briefcase of gold.

bac1023
12-03-2011, 23:25
Very nice

Congrats! :cool:

ragsflh
12-04-2011, 08:10
congrats, have one of first ones out.still best shooter i have

nickE10mm
12-04-2011, 08:59
Nick, I didn't post that pic, I believe Carrier did, but it was nasty to say the least!

Ah, sorry. Either way.... yes, quite nasty! :wow: haha

Jitterbug
12-04-2011, 09:02
Another new D.E. owner....

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=341905

4949shooter
12-04-2011, 09:55

I m hoping I can find one at the right price when I get the $$. My pistol permit expires in February, though I can get an extension on it if I need to.

alwaysshootin
12-04-2011, 10:18
Well 21carrier, we're waiting!!!

It's almost noon, and know you have 400 rounds ready to go. We are waiting for a range report. No excuse will be tolerated!!!!!!

21Carrier
12-04-2011, 19:47
Well 21carrier, we're waiting!!!

It's almost noon, and know you have 400 rounds ready to go. We are waiting for a range report. No excuse will be tolerated!!!!!!

Funny you say that. I stayed up all night loading. I was supposed to go shoot with GTRhino at about 10am. At about 7:30am, I finished reloading, and decided to get a few hours of sleep. I succeeded. I slept through three alarms, and 17 phone calls. I didn't wake up until 6pm. FML!!!!! I can't even explain how incredibly pissed I am. I've been waiting to own and shoot a Delta Elite for over a year, and I slept through my first chance!!! I guess that's what I get for staying up all night loading. I'm going to TRY to go early tomorrow morning before work. If I don't wake up, it will be Wednesday (my next off-day). I can't believe I did that.

alwaysshootin
12-04-2011, 20:10
Did the very same thing Saturday, last day of gun season for deer, before the rains hit again today. Slept way too late to get out.:crying: Good news is in less than two weeks get a two day extension, so it ain't over yet. Just razzing you is all. With the way you shoot, you'll have it wore out before years end!:supergrin:

_The_Shadow
12-04-2011, 20:11
That's why you don't shoot all your ammo up! Hey stuff happens! :(

21Carrier
12-06-2011, 02:51
I'll be going Wednesday. I'm really itching to fire this thing. I can't even explain how pissed I was.

arushus
12-06-2011, 09:57

That is interesting! What is really crazy is there are a lot of the same sign in names on that forum as their are here! Crazy stuff...guess the guys over on the 1911 forum think the same way a lot of the guys here do!

OR, maybe, just maybe, theyre the same people?!?! hmmm....nah!

harrygunner
12-06-2011, 20:08
Very nice gun.

Richard Heine's cool quote as he spoke of his 1911 in 10mm: "Mine is the one gun I would never get rid of."

Feel the same way about mine. Congrats.

Taterhead
12-06-2011, 20:48
:shocked:
I just can't even comprehend the concept of a pistol permit. The last gun I purchased, I just ran out during my lunch hour. Pointed to a Glock and said that I'd take that one. Quick call for the background check while I waited. Whole thing took about 10 minutes. Out the door. Hopefully will do that with a Delta before too long.

I m hoping I can find one at the right price when I get the $$. My pistol permit expires in February, though I can get an extension on it if I need to.

Taterhead
12-06-2011, 20:58
That's why you don't shoot all your ammo up! Hey stuff happens! :(

Good call on that. I totally agree. I like to keep a minimum of 1000 rounds unhand. Usually about 4-500 rounds, at least, of good sd stuff. The rest will be range fodder.

You never know when opportunities present themselves for shooting.

Opie 1 Kenopie
12-06-2011, 22:30
I just can't even comprehend the concept of a pistol permit. The last gun I purchased, I just ran out during my lunch hour. Pointed to a Glock and said that I'd take that one. Quick call for the background check while I waited. Whole thing took about 10 minutes. Out the door. Hopefully will do that with a Delta before too long.

I hear ya! And I'm writing from behind the Granola Curtain! Even here in the United Socialist State of Kalifornia we are free to buy guns over the counter. I thought we had it bad! As LE I can walk in and out in about 30 minutes with any gun AND high cap (regular capacity) magazines. Definitely the coolest perk on this job, aside from the paycheck. Can't imagine waiting on a permit just to BUY a gun. And then the GD thing expires?!?!? And no hollowpoint ammo back there either?!?! WTF? Well, I don't see myself traveling to New Jersey anytime soon, so I guess I'll be OK kommrads.

4949shooter
12-06-2011, 22:47

I hear ya! And I'm writing from behind the Granola Curtain! Even here in the United Socialist State of Kalifornia we are free to buy guns over the counter. I thought we had it bad! As LE I can walk in and out in about 30 minutes with any gun AND high cap (regular capacity) magazines. Definitely the coolest perk on this job, aside from the paycheck. Can't imagine waiting on a permit just to BUY a gun. And then the GD thing expires?!?!? And no hollowpoint ammo back there either?!?! WTF? Well, I don't see myself traveling to New Jersey anytime soon, so I guess I'll be OK kommrads.

Yeah this state is horrible when it comes to guns. We even need a firearms ID card just to buy ammo here now. We can buy as much as we want on line though. :whistling:

arushus
12-06-2011, 23:42
Yeah this state is horrible when it comes to guns. We even need a firearms ID card just to buy ammo here now. We can buy as much as we want on line though. :whistling:

Im sure all of these measureshave led to a dramatic drop in gun related crime though, right?!?!? :whistling:

21Carrier
12-07-2011, 02:34

I really is SO nice living in a free-ish state. The entire Delta buy took about 15 minutes. About half of that time was the guy trying to find the gun in his computer to see if he could drop the price from $975 to $917. The background check takes three minutes, about 5 including filling out the paperwork. I was shocked when I bought my first pistol. I thought ALL states had some sort of waiting period on pistols. I guess I watched too much TV/movies. When I bought my first pistol (G21SF), they said I would be leaving with the pistol in 10 minutes, I about danced right there.

I would LITERALLY move. I would take a pay cut of almost 10k a year to move from NJ. I couldn't deal with that.

Im sure all of these measureshave led to a dramatic drop in gun related crime though, right?!?!? :whistling:

Duh! It still amazes me that lay people and politicians actually believe that criminals source their guns legally and obey the GUN laws. They don't mind killing people, breaking and entering, stealing, raping, etc., but they won't DARE break a GUN law! What a joke.

leeward419
12-07-2011, 04:36
Duh! It still amazes me that lay people and politicians actually believe that criminals source their guns legally and obey the GUN laws. They don't mind killing people, breaking and entering, stealing, raping, etc., but they won't DARE break a GUN law! What a joke. <!-- / message -->
None of those laws are aimed at criminals, they are aimed at you the gun owner. The have just conned everyone into thinking that they are aimed at criminals

21Carrier
12-07-2011, 13:10
None of those laws are aimed at criminals, they are aimed at you the gun owner. The have just conned everyone into thinking that they are aimed at criminals

I wonder about that. In their secret meetings, do you think they gather like thieves in the night and say, "OK, let's scare the general public until they let us make guns illegal. Then, they'll be defenseless when we throw out the constitution and enslave them." OR, do you think they are more akin to bumbling idiots that just honestly can't think something all the way through, "Well, let's see. If we make a LAW, the criminals will listen. Laws will stop gun violence. You wait and see. Criminals are scared of laws."

I tend to think it's the second. I believe they have convinced EVERYONE (including themselves) that gun control affects criminals, even if it's total nonsense that an unbiased 4th grader could dismantle. The other option is scarier, but I don't think politicians are that smart or have so much foresight. Also, it SOUNDS good to the voters when a politician can talk about reducing gun violence. His actions don't have to actually WORK as long as he passed laws. Sure, he will lose us (the gun owners), but he will gain support from the masses that fail to see the fallacy in using LAW to control the LAWLESS and are scared of being shot by some thug. Poor things. If only people would realize that the politicians don't care about you and yours. Nor do the police. It's up to YOU to arm and protect yourself/your family.

B.Reid
12-07-2011, 13:45
I wonder about that. In their secret meetings, do you think they gather like thieves in the night and say, "OK, let's scare the general public until they let us make guns illegal. Then, they'll be defenseless when we throw out the constitution and enslave them." OR, do you think they are more akin to bumbling idiots that just honestly can't think something all the way through, "Well, let's see. If we make a LAW, the criminals will listen. Laws will stop gun violence. You wait and see. Criminals are scared of laws."

I tend to think it's the second. I believe they have convinced EVERYONE (including themselves) that gun control affects criminals, even if it's total nonsense that an unbiased 4th grader could dismantle. The other option is scarier, but I don't think politicians are that smart or have so much foresight. Also, it SOUNDS good to the voters when a politician can talk about reducing gun violence. His actions don't have to actually WORK as long as he passed laws. Sure, he will lose us (the gun owners), but he will gain support from the masses that fail to see the fallacy in using LAW to control the LAWLESS and are scared of being shot by some thug. Poor things. If only people would realize that the politicians don't care about you and yours. Nor do the police. It's up to YOU to arm and protect yourself/your family.

I think the ones writing the laws are in the first camp there are a lot of Marxists in government. The rest are just lemmings and are mostly idiots.

ModGlock17
12-07-2011, 15:48
21, can you post you target result shooting the Glock and that of the Delta?

I'd like to see accuracy comparison. Thx.

21Carrier
12-07-2011, 17:31
21, can you post you target result shooting the Glock and that of the Delta?

I'd like to see accuracy comparison. Thx.

Yeah. I'm about to leave to go shoot. I'm going to a new indoor range right down the street from my house. Once I warm up, I'll shoot three targets as best I can: One with the G29, one with the G20LS, and one with the Delta.

arushus
12-07-2011, 17:36
Yeah. I'm about to leave to go shoot. I'm going to a new indoor range right down the street from my house. Once I warm up, I'll shoot three targets as best I can: One with the G29, one with the G20LS, and one with the Delta.

You lucky mother****in son of a *****! Youre the luckiest ****ing bastard I know! Getting to ****ing shoot three ****ing 10mm's?!?! Are you ****tin me?

4949shooter
12-07-2011, 18:00
My buddy has a line on a 15 to 20 year old Delta, supposedly never fired. I talk to him about a Delta and he goes out and finds one.

I tell ya... some guys have all the luck and $$. He also just picked up a gen 4 G19 and G21.

Anyhoo, I tried to get him to join here but he won't. Maybe I'll email this thread to him. :wavey: Jimbo!

21Carrier
12-07-2011, 20:29
Well, I went and shot it. It is awesome! I put about 150 rounds through it, and not one issue. Actually, I kept riding the slide stop lever (like I do on my G29), so the slide didn't lock back several times, but that's no big deal, and my fault. It seemed to shoot a tad low at first, but that was me. Recoil is not bad, but I didn't really run anything nuclear through it. With full-powerish loads, recoil seems about like a G20, but you can feel the difference in the thinner steel grip. It hits your hand with a little more authority, but not any harder. The Glocks' polymer really does absorb recoil.

I shot some mild 180gr loads, some full-power 155gr XTPs, and some full-power 180gr FMJ through it. All functioned flawlessly, but I didn't get to examine the brass well for support issues. The range I went to is new, and REALLY nice. However, the jackass range officer wouldn't let me pick up my brass. NONE of it. Not even the stuff I was standing on, well behind the line. I asked him who owned the brass. He seemed stumped, so I not-so-gently reminded him that I owned it. It is MY brass. He said, "sorry, that's our policy." I told him to go get his manager, because he was gonna have to kick me out. I then turned around and started picking up my brass. I'll never go back. No way will I pay $23 to lose my brass. **** that. I lost about 200-250 pieces.

Ok, enough of the bad. Everything was great. I shot about 300 rounds through all of them combined, and below is an unprofessional accuracy challenge between the three guns. All guns used the same ammo (180gr FMJ, 6.0gr Unique, CCI 300s, COAL 1.260"), and these were my first rounds of the night. The target was around 15 yards, shooting was done free hand, and I was not REALLY concentrating. I was going to wait until I was warmed up, but I didn't. It wasn't my best shooting, but it pretty well represented how I shoot each gun. I got much better with the Delta later on. Later, I put a 16 round group in the 9 and 10 rings, and about 8-10 rounds were in a big, ragged hole in the center yellow. So, it's accurate.

http://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/h329/21Carrier/IMG_2179.jpg

As you can see above, I'd say the G20LS won (given that 10 of the 15 rounds were in the yellow). The G29 group is 10 rounds, the G20LS is 15 rounds, and the Delta groups are 8 rounds each.

To break it down into percentages, the percentage of 10 ring hits were as follows:

G20LS: 66.6%
G29: 50.0%
Delta Elite: 37.5% (same for both mags, top target has a three in yellow; one is a double hit)

I give the edge to the G20LS, for now. However, I got MUCH better with the Delta, and I think it would be at or above 50% if I had waited until I got used to it.

On another interesting side note. After much dry-firing and handling the Delta, I'm starting to understand the whole grip angle thing. Before the Delta, when I would present a Glock on target, I would find the sights lined up perfectly. My muscle memory was about perfect. Now, when I line up a Glock, I find myself aiming high. I'm not sure which I like better, but it would SEEM that the Glock angle is actually the more ideal setup. It seems to flatten your wrist more, and make limp-wristing less likely. The way I see it, the flatter your wrist, the harder it should be for recoil to push it up.

4949shooter
12-07-2011, 21:37
It can take some getting used to when going back and forth from a Glock to a 1911. Funny thing, when I shot my first mag from my G20SF, I had a low right hit like on your first target with the Delta.

As far as limp wristing goes, the 1911 design is the ONLY semi auto platform I could not get to fail by intentionally limpwristing. This includes Glocks, H&K's, and Smiths. I have never intentionally limp wristed my duty Sig.

Bummer about the range. I really wonder if that was the range policy or that particular range master's policy. I never heard of anyplace not allowing brass pickup behind the line. Maybe he shoots a 10MM. :whistling:

_The_Shadow
12-07-2011, 21:53
Shooting looks good Carrier, having to leave your brass is the $h!aT! :shocked:

ModGlock17
12-07-2011, 22:29
Thanks for posting the target result. It may be a bit premature for the DE because it may need upwards of 200 rounds to smooth out. There are micro-burrs due to machining and rifling that need to polish out.

Since the Glock handle is more flatten, as if the golfer gripping the club addressing the ball, it makes sense that DE would go low, initially.

A note on grouping. An individual's ability to group changes from day to day, like a golfer being on his game one day vs another. So I was fishing for "relative" grouping by comparing two guns, rather than absolute grouping. I think you already know that and pulled out all three guns for relative comparison. Good job.

I am curious enough about the DE that I stopped by a local store to see one. It was priced at $1009, probably negotiable to tens of dollars below that, but unlikely to the level that you got yours. Nice. Rough around the edges (new). Seems small and thin for my grip. The sales guy, who sees me often enough, shared that if you were to take aim at something naturally, the sights should line up without much vertical correction. For him, the 1911 style is natural. I tried, and sure enough, it goes low every time so Glock grip is natural for me. Or may be I just got used to it.

I do remember that when I had the Sig P226 9mm I tend to shoot low all the times. Sig's grip is more right-angled, comparable to 1911, than the flatter Glock grip.

How's the Frog lube working on the DE ? Sliding surface seems rough and new.

Most in-door range around where I live prohibit the use of reloads for fear of injuring people next stall. They post all that. I think posting such things is enough to avoid liability but enforcing it will drive away customers. Other than that, if they have to rely on recycling brass to turn a profit then they have a lousy business plan. You're better off elsewhere.

BTW, I noticed that when I pull the DE trigger, front sight doesn't have the propensity to move like a Glock. There's your accuracy.

robert91922
12-08-2011, 02:54
Well, I went and shot it. It is awesome! I put about 150 rounds through it, and not one issue. Actually, I kept riding the slide stop lever (like I do on my G29), so the slide didn't lock back several times, but that's no big deal, and my fault. It seemed to shoot a tad low at first, but that was me. Recoil is not bad, but I didn't really run anything nuclear through it. With full-powerish loads, recoil seems about like a G20, but you can feel the difference in the thinner steel grip. It hits your hand with a little more authority, but not any harder. The Glocks' polymer really does absorb recoil.

I shot some mild 180gr loads, some full-power 155gr XTPs, and some full-power 180gr FMJ through it. All functioned flawlessly, but I didn't get to examine the brass well for support issues. The range I went to is new, and REALLY nice. However, the jackass range officer wouldn't let me pick up my brass. NONE of it. Not even the stuff I was standing on, well behind the line. I asked him who owned the brass. He seemed stumped, so I not-so-gently reminded him that I owned it. It is MY brass. He said, "sorry, that's our policy." I told him to go get his manager, because he was gonna have to kick me out. I then turned around and started picking up my brass. I'll never go back. No way will I pay $23 to lose my brass. **** that. I lost about 200-250 pieces.

Ok, enough of the bad. Everything was great. I shot about 300 rounds through all of them combined, and below is an unprofessional accuracy challenge between the three guns. All guns used the same ammo (180gr FMJ, 6.0gr Unique, CCI 300s, COAL 1.260"), and these were my first rounds of the night. The target was around 15 yards, shooting was done free hand, and I was not REALLY concentrating. I was going to wait until I was warmed up, but I didn't. It wasn't my best shooting, but it pretty well represented how I shoot each gun. I got much better with the Delta later on. Later, I put a 16 round group in the 9 and 10 rings, and about 8-10 rounds were in a big, ragged hole in the center yellow. So, it's accurate.

http://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/h329/21Carrier/IMG_2179.jpg

As you can see above, I'd say the G20LS won (given that 10 of the 15 rounds were in the yellow). The G29 group is 10 rounds, the G20LS is 15 rounds, and the Delta groups are 8 rounds each.

To break it down into percentages, the percentage of 10 ring hits were as follows:

G20LS: 66.6%
G29: 50.0%
Delta Elite: 37.5% (same for both mags, top target has a three in yellow; one is a double hit)

I give the edge to the G20LS, for now. However, I got MUCH better with the Delta, and I think it would be at or above 50% if I had waited until I got used to it.

On another interesting side note. After much dry-firing and handling the Delta, I'm starting to understand the whole grip angle thing. Before the Delta, when I would present a Glock on target, I would find the sights lined up perfectly. My muscle memory was about perfect. Now, when I line up a Glock, I find myself aiming high. I'm not sure which I like better, but it would SEEM that the Glock angle is actually the more ideal setup. It seems to flatten your wrist more, and make limp-wristing less likely. The way I see it, the flatter your wrist, the harder it should be for recoil to push it up.
Ask those range idiots if you drop YOUR wallet on THEIR range floor who is the owner of that wallet ?????
And what about revolver shooters? How do they force them to drop spent cases on the floor, not into own range bag???
I would never go back to that indoor range, even with my 22lr guns.
Morons. I became angry as soon as I read that :steamed:
My brass is mine !!!
P.S.: I bought my 10mm brass from Germany, I paid 0,25/piece = 0.33$ :shocked:

Jitterbug
12-08-2011, 08:52
Nice report 21, I'm glad the D.E. ran well for you. And I appreciate your previous photos of the guide rod/recoil assembly, that's an interesting setup Colt uses.

Shooting it and getting comfortable with it will take some time, but I think you'll enjoy it and if not I doubt if you'll loose much if anything in a sale. G.B has helped me get max value for many guns I've had to sell in the past 4 years.

Unless you're going to be a one gun guy, then one needs to get used to transitioning from platform to platform, the more often you do this, the more natural it will become.

I go from a S&W 442 to a Kahr PM9 to a 4" 629 with the 1911's in the middle, not to mention shooting carbines/rifle and shotgun.

I can draw from concealment and shoot them all quickly and pretty well. Some better then others of course and this ability comes from many years of shooting.

Often I'll carry two or three different pistols on any one given day, it just depends on what I'm doing, where I'm going and what I'm willing to dress around.

Fishing in Moose country in the morning and having a nice dinner in town later in the day, and a ball game in the big city at night, not to mention the drive in-between, which is often many miles.

For accuracy testing, I'm using an Excel file, and shoot 3-10 shot groups from a bench, most of the time I won't shoot all 3-10 shot groups on a given day, this helps to average out the bad day, good day thing.

In excel I have a running average going for each gun, so at a glance I can quickly see my "average" group size and how this compares to any given load workup.

Sometimes I use an 8 shot average or whatever depending upon the magazine capacity, so then I'll go 4-8 shot groups, or 5-6 shot groups, but the 30 bench rested shots is enough data to give you a very good idea of the accuracy potential of a given load/platform.

It's a PIA dealing with public ranges, they have to do whatever it is they do and being a small business owner I can appreciate that, but I don't like going to them, especially indoor ranges. But when I have to I tolerate them and go out of my way to get along with the R.O.'s. I have a couple within 20 minutes of the house and sometimes it's convenient and I'm glad they are there...beats the alternative.

Out in the field my current setup is 2 large coolers, (my bench) with a Millet Pistol rest, a towel or rolled up fleece shirt and my distance is 12.5 yards. I chose 12.5 yards because, my eyes are going in my old age and in the winter when I can't get up into the mountains due to snow I have to use a public range which is only 12.5 yards.

I make certain to rest the pistol on the frame just forward of the trigger guard to maintain consistency.

Once I have enough data built up I can then fiddle around with distance and shooting offhand, but the goal is to build a sufficient data base to determine average accuracy then focus on particular load workups. As you know it can vary considerably from gun to gun, even those of the same make and model.

I'll try to run at least 3-5 "benched" groups each shooting session, and I'm finding if I'm careful with the chrono I can kill two birds with one stone. Then I can go on and get to other practice sessions.

I hope you enjoy that new Delta.

nickE10mm
12-08-2011, 08:58
...A note on grouping. An individual's ability to group changes from day to day, like a golfer being on his game one day vs another....

100% correct....

alwaysshootin
12-08-2011, 09:52
That's some nice shooting will all three 10's. Kind of curious how far the Delta threw your brass?

I know, I know, far enough to reach the range owners pocket! :supergrin:

pistolpete10mm
12-08-2011, 10:12
However, the jackass range officer wouldn't let me pick up my brass. NONE of it

That range officer is insane, your brass is your property, don't mess with another guys property, especially if he's holding a 10mm pistol with the smoke clouds still coming out :supergrin:

At my range people pick up my 10mm brass all the time. However, they don't try to steal it, they bring it back to me and while handing over my brass they say something like "oh man, your empty cases fly so far (15ft), and they look so long, what pistol are you shooting?". I find it great, since most of the time I don't have to look for my empty 10mm cases. That's why I basically only shoot 10mm when there are other people on the range, because there is always that one guy who feels like picking up my brass and bringing it back to me like a good little puppy :supergrin: I than let him show what kind of mighty beast I'm shooting: Glock 20 with near max Accurate n7 loads.

By the way, interesting range report on the Delta Elite, a friend of mine has one in like new condition (he bought it in the early nineties). He may sell it one of these days since he is selling quite a bit from his collection lately. If it is one that has the left slide rail reworked so the frame won't crack I would have a hard time ignoring it if the price is right. I don't really need it, but there's just something mythical about those Delta Elites.

leeward419
12-08-2011, 17:51
I tend to think it's the second. I believe they have convinced EVERYONE (including themselves) that gun control affects criminals, even if it's total nonsense that an unbiased 4th grader could dismantle. The other option is scarier, but I don't think politicians are that smart or have so much foresight. Also, it SOUNDS good to the voters when a politician can talk about reducing gun violence. His actions don't have to actually WORK as long as he passed laws. Sure, he will lose us (the gun owners), but he will gain support from the masses that fail to see the fallacy in using LAW to control the LAWLESS and are scared of being shot by some thug. Poor things. If only people would realize that the politicians don't care about you and yours. Nor do the police. It's up to YOU to arm and protect yourself/your family. <!-- / message -->
I dont beleive that for a second. We are talking about guns for law abiding citizens. The definition of law abiding precludes them from being ciminals. SO why do they mix stats for legal use of arms in with criminal use of arms? Because they dont care; to them there is no difference. For politicians to not under stand the difference between law abiding and non law abiding would make them too dumb to drive, hardly the case. Your use of guns to protect yourself undermines the power of the state.
It is not up to the government toprotect you, even according to the supreme court, government obligaton to generaly preserve law and order in society, not specifically to protecty you.
To many of the politcians now are self proclaimed marxists, there are 50 or 60 of these in congress now. If you doubt this, go to CPUSA website and tell me the difference between the goals of the communitst party and democratic party. Explain to me why marxists will not let anyone have guns? Its not fear, its cunning

21Carrier
12-09-2011, 03:51
Thanks for posting the target result. It may be a bit premature for the DE because it may need upwards of 200 rounds to smooth out. There are micro-burrs due to machining and rifling that need to polish out.

A note on grouping. An individual's ability to group changes from day to day, like a golfer being on his game one day vs another. So I was fishing for "relative" grouping by comparing two guns, rather than absolute grouping. I think you already know that and pulled out all three guns for relative comparison. Good job.

How's the Frog lube working on the DE ? Sliding surface seems rough and new.

BTW, I noticed that when I pull the DE trigger, front sight doesn't have the propensity to move like a Glock. There's your accuracy.

I actually smoothed all the edges on the pistol before ever shooting it. It is definitely a rough-edged, "production" gun. All the right angles were very sharp, and some edges had burrs. I took two knife sharpening stones (fine and extra fine), and radiused all the edges. You can't SEE that I did it, unless you were using magnification, but it made a big difference in feel. Also, I smoothed all the contact points on the sear and hammer (VERY lightly, with extra fine hone) which made a BIG difference in trigger feel. The trigger now feels awesome. The action is now really smooth. The spring makes it feel a little gritty, but without the spring in the gun, it's smooth as glass. I actually can't believe I messed with the sear and hammer before I ever fired it, but I guess that's just me. Always tinkering. Luckily, my work usually turns out well. Most people would probably think I'm crazy for filing on a new gun.

My groupings were decent on that day. They have been much better, but that's about average. When I shoot more often they are tighter.

The Frog Lube has worked well. I disassembled and cleaned/lubed the gun with FL on day one. It seems to be working perfectly, and I still love its cleaning ability, non-toxic nature, and pleasant smell. I was actually just smelling the Delta a minute ago. :supergrin:

Ask those range idiots if you drop YOUR wallet on THEIR range floor who is the owner of that wallet ?????
And what about revolver shooters? How do they force them to drop spent cases on the floor, not into own range bag???
I would never go back to that indoor range, even with my 22lr guns.
Morons. I became angry as soon as I read that :steamed:
My brass is mine !!!
P.S.: I bought my 10mm brass from Germany, I paid 0,25€/piece = 0.33$

Exactly. That was MY brass. I paid for it. They need to have that rule posted. I will not go back until they start renting out full-auto weapons. That should be fun. WOW! Thirty-three cents apiece is EXPENSIVE!!! That brass is like gold.

That's some nice shooting will all three 10's. Kind of curious how far the Delta threw your brass?

I know, I know, far enough to reach the range owners pocket!

If your question was at all serious, I'm not sure. They had the barriers up at the range. However, I did notice that it throws them to the 2 o'clock position. I think that's normal, though. I've seen others talk about that.

That range officer is insane, your brass is your property, don't mess with another guys property, especially if he's holding a 10mm pistol with the smoke clouds still coming out.

I agree.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By the way, guys, I have a few new things to share. I found a REALLY cool way to modify the slide stop lever so that you don't make an idiot mark. I actually thought about doing something similar to this, but was scared to do it before shooting the gun. It didn't LOOK like it would affect function, but I figured I'd wait. Then, GT member Faawrenchbender told me about it in the 1911 forum. So, I went ahead. It works like a charm.

http://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/h329/21Carrier/IMG_2185.jpg

http://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/h329/21Carrier/IMG_2184.jpg

I used a small triangle file to make a groove in the slide stop lever. That way, when assembling the gun, you just position the groove right over the plunger, and push down. It pops right in. There's no need to move it up and under the plunger.

Also, I have a problem. I actually noticed this the first day I got the gun, but didn't worry about it. I thought it was copper jacketing in the barrel or something (from the test rounds at the factory), but it's not. Under closer inspection, it appears that the reamer used to cut my barrel had a flaw in it. One of the six grooves in my barrel has a rough strip all the way down the barrel. It looks like either the reamer was messed up, or it was not properly lubed, and caused galling. I'm wondering what to do about it. I REALLY don't want to send the gun to Colt, but I guess I need to call them about it. What do you guys think? By the way, I looked at it under magnification, and it's definitely galling/scarring, not some deposit from a bullet. It's cut down into the barrel (very shallow), not deposited on top.

http://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/h329/21Carrier/IMG_2183.jpg

http://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/h329/21Carrier/IMG_2181.jpg

leeward419
12-09-2011, 04:03
First, the range the pictures are taken at is beautiful...
I had a barrel with similar defect from storm lake, sent it back and they recut it.
I dont know if marks like that will affect accuracy, but when the pistol leaves the factory, it should not be like that. I would contact colt and send them the photo. They should replace and refit a barrel for you

nickE10mm
12-09-2011, 09:32
By the way, guys, I have a few new things to share. I found a REALLY cool way to modify the slide stop lever so that you don't make an idiot mark. I actually thought about doing something similar to this, but was scared to do it before shooting the gun. It didn't LOOK like it would affect function, but I figured I'd wait. Then, GT member Faawrenchbender told me about it in the 1911 forum. So, I went ahead. It works like a charm.

I used a small triangle file to make a groove in the slide stop lever. That way, when assembling the gun, you just position the groove right over the plunger, and push down. It pops right in. There's no need to move it up and under the plunger.

Hey 21... that's not a "new" mod, per se, as people have been doing it for a while. I think there are even a few smiths who do this to the pistols they sell. Anyways, yes, it works well. Good deal.

http://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/h329/21Carrier/IMG_2183.jpg[/IMG]

I wouldn't worry about the barrel chatter unless it affects accuracy or function.... but that's just me.

21Carrier
12-10-2011, 01:16
First, the range the pictures are taken at is beautiful...
I had a barrel with similar defect from storm lake, sent it back and they recut it.
I dont know if marks like that will affect accuracy, but when the pistol leaves the factory, it should not be like that. I would contact colt and send them the photo. They should replace and refit a barrel for you

That range is REALLY nice. It's brand new. It just opened about 3 weeks ago. However, them keeping my property (my brass) is not cool with me. I won't go back. Plus, indoor shooting ranks just above dry-firing on my fun scale. I'm thinking about calling Colt, but I probably won't for a while. I want to shoot the gun. If I notice accuracy issues, then I'll send it in.

Hey 21... that's not a "new" mod, per se, as people have been doing it for a while. I think there are even a few smiths who do this to the pistols they sell. Anyways, yes, it works well. Good deal.

http://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/h329/21Carrier/IMG_2183.jpg[/IMG]

I wouldn't worry about the barrel chatter unless it affects accuracy or function.... but that's just me.

Yeah, I figured it wasn't a new idea, but it's still pretty cool, and no one mentioned it while we were talking about the "idiot mark", so I figured not everyone knew about it. It only took about 5 minutes to do. That's great given it will guarantee I never scratch the gun.

I think I'll just hold off on sending in the barrel for now. I don't want to have to send it in. Like you said, if it causes problems, I'll send it in.

Jitterbug
12-10-2011, 08:29
New guns that aren't what we expect them to be are somewhat of a disappointment, I have a new 4" 629-6 S&W revolver in .44 Magnum and the cylinder sticks on 2 chambers, I've taken it to two different gunsmiths and of course they both say two different things...both minor and easily fixed, but our local gunsmith are backlogged up to 6 weeks or more, it also has some weird cuts in the barrel that looks like long triangles just after the forcing cone.

So far it's just been a minor irritation, but on a gun that cost me about $875 out the door the cylinder shouldn't stick, especially on a Smith.

Yet I put over 600+ rounds of fun through it and and I'm getting 6 shot groups in the 1" range at 12.5 yards, which isn't too bad for what I want the gun to do. I figure that extrapolates out to 2-3" at 25 yards.

Smith has a somewhat sketchy rep on service, but one of these days soon I'll get around to shipping it to them, now that it's winter and I have less need of it. They do provide free door to door shipping which is a big plus, still a PIA though.

There is a Colt guy over on the 1911forum.com forum, his name is Bret or Brent, but if you go visit the Colt forum over there you'll find him and if it were me I'd send him that photo and get his opinion.

Like Nick say's it's probably nothing to be concerned about, it the pistol will hold about 3" at 25 yards from a rest with it's favorite load that's about as good as it gets from a standard factory gun. But it would be interesting to see what Colt says about it. Otherwise you could probably call Colt and get an email address and sent them the photo and see what they say.

I've never had to deal with Colt (owned 3) but from what I've heard they are really good about service and from what I've read it's not uncommon for them to add a nice bonus for your troubles.

As far as the range, did you talk to the owner/manager?

I would and nicely explain to them that my 10mm brass is an investment in my gun/shooting that I make and as long as it's safe to do so I'd like to retrieve it. If it were me I'd go right to the top and politely discuss it with the owner/manager before I'd right them off.

I had a crusty old fart of a range officer that my younger shooting buddies couldn't stand, I made friends with him (probably because I'm closer to being a crusty old fart myself) but in the end he's now a good friend and my personal FFL, he's saved me some big bucks over the past 4-5 years, he's especially handy for shipping a handgun in for service through the Post office rather then using Fedx, $28 verses $60, not to mention that he has a really nice, close by private range that I have a standing invitation to shoot with him on any Thursday of the week.

All the ranges I shoot on allow me to pick up my brass if it's behind the line, one even over the line during cease fires.

TDC20
12-10-2011, 10:30
Awesome Delta, Carrier! That was the pistol I had my eye on for some time when I wanted to get into 10mm and 1911's. Things were dry at the time and all I could find were used ones, then I stumbled onto a Gen3 G20 on a clearance sale at the LGS and bought it on the spot. Still longing for a 1911 and a Delta Elite, though. It's a beauty!

I'm fairly certain that the minor barrel defect isn't going to cause any issues in accuracy, but it will tend to foul with copper or lead (if you shoot cast boolits) in those recesses. That will make it harder to clean "to bare steel." That wouldn't go over well with me, cause I like to keep my barrels clean like that. In the case of lead fouling especially, once the lead fills up the cavities, it will continue to build up in that spot, and it's going to be a pain to keep it clean and free from fouling because of that. For that reason, if it were mine, I would send it back.

I have rifles with factory barrels and ones with custom made barrels. I even have some old, not-too-well-cared-for WW2 CMP rilfes with original barrels. There's a big difference in cleaning a hand-lapped smooth barrel, vs. a factory barrel full of microscopic tool marks, vs. a lightly pitted barrel. I can fire 100 rds through the hand-lapped barrel and get almost no copper out of it when cleaning, but fire 5 rounds out of a barrel with a minor amount of pitting and have to clean a penny out of it. One of the rifles with minor pitting is still a 1MOA shooter, so it doesn't necessarily affect accuracy (precision). But it's a PITA to clean.

So, precision wouldn't be my concern here, just the extra time it will take every time you want to clean it good. Especially if you shoot cast through it, I think those spots are going to foul like crazy.

Can't wait to see what your groups look like once you get used to shooting that SA trigger!

21Carrier
12-10-2011, 17:47
I've never had to deal with Colt (owned 3) but from what I've heard they are really good about service and from what I've read it's not uncommon for them to add a nice bonus for your troubles.

As far as the range, did you talk to the owner/manager?

I would and nicely explain to them that my 10mm brass is an investment in my gun/shooting that I make and as long as it's safe to do so I'd like to retrieve it. If it were me I'd go right to the top and politely discuss it with the owner/manager before I'd right them off.

I had a crusty old fart of a range officer that my younger shooting buddies couldn't stand, I made friends with him (probably because I'm closer to being a crusty old fart myself) but in the end he's now a good friend and my personal FFL, he's saved me some big bucks over the past 4-5 years, he's especially handy for shipping a handgun in for service through the Post office rather then using Fedx, $28 verses $60, not to mention that he has a really nice, close by private range that I have a standing invitation to shoot with him on any Thursday of the week.

All the ranges I shoot on allow me to pick up my brass if it's behind the line, one even over the line during cease fires.

I will probably send it back to Colt, just not right now. I have also heard about Colt's tendency to send back free goodies. Sounds good to me!

I really should go talk to the range owner. I know there are a few 10mm fans up there, and it really chaps my ass to know they will be shooting my brass. Maybe they will let me sort through all the pick-ups.

Awesome Delta, Carrier! That was the pistol I had my eye on for some time when I wanted to get into 10mm and 1911's. Things were dry at the time and all I could find were used ones, then I stumbled onto a Gen3 G20 on a clearance sale at the LGS and bought it on the spot. Still longing for a 1911 and a Delta Elite, though. It's a beauty!

I'm fairly certain that the minor barrel defect isn't going to cause any issues in accuracy, but it will tend to foul with copper or lead (if you shoot cast boolits) in those recesses. That will make it harder to clean "to bare steel." That wouldn't go over well with me, cause I like to keep my barrels clean like that. In the case of lead fouling especially, once the lead fills up the cavities, it will continue to build up in that spot, and it's going to be a pain to keep it clean and free from fouling because of that. For that reason, if it were mine, I would send it back.

I have rifles with factory barrels and ones with custom made barrels. I even have some old, not-too-well-cared-for WW2 CMP rilfes with original barrels. There's a big difference in cleaning a hand-lapped smooth barrel, vs. a factory barrel full of microscopic tool marks, vs. a lightly pitted barrel. I can fire 100 rds through the hand-lapped barrel and get almost no copper out of it when cleaning, but fire 5 rounds out of a barrel with a minor amount of pitting and have to clean a penny out of it. One of the rifles with minor pitting is still a 1MOA shooter, so it doesn't necessarily affect accuracy (precision). But it's a PITA to clean.

So, precision wouldn't be my concern here, just the extra time it will take every time you want to clean it good. Especially if you shoot cast through it, I think those spots are going to foul like crazy.

Can't wait to see what your groups look like once you get used to shooting that SA trigger!

I know what you're talking about with barrels. I notice the difference when cleaning Glock barrels vs. my LWD or Colt barrels. The smooth Tenifer treated Glock barrels are VERY easy to clean. After using Frog Lube in them for a few months, I don't even get copper fouling anymore. I can just pass the nylon Glock brush through it a few times, and it looks brand new. The untreated, steel barrels are not the same.

4949shooter
12-11-2011, 05:31
I am thinking (sort of), that if you put around a thousand rounds through that Colt barrel, those odd marks will disappear.

Edit: I just checked the barrel on my stainless Colt Commander. After about two thousand rounds, it looks like there are remnants of similar types of marks in one of the grooves of my barrel, nearer to the muzzle end. As an aside, I have had people come up to me at the range and ask me if this particular gun was a Gold Cup (which it is not) or if I had the gun worked on (which I didn't) due to the accuracy it has displayed. Not to worry. Though, I am curious to see what Colt would have to say about it, and if the marks do indeed "smooth out" after a couple thousand rounds.

Good luck!

21Carrier
12-15-2011, 02:00
So, I went and put another 200 rounds or so through the Delta yesterday. Now, I'm up to almost 400 rounds. The accuracy was GREAT. I did another G20LS vs Delta comparison, but waited until my last target, and the Delta (with nothing but hot loads) had beat up my hand a bit. I started flinching. It was about a draw, but I think the Delta would have won if I did the comparison earlier. As before, the gun had ZERO failures. It worked perfectly. However, the white piece of plastic in the front sight flew out during recoil. That's pretty crappy, but no big deal. I filled it in with nail polish, and it looks even better now. Also, I found out that 155gr Gold Dots will not fit in the magazine when loaded to 1.260". I could only get 3 in before they would lock up. I guess I'll have to back them up a bit.

Also, I did a work-up with some 155gr XTPs loaded with 12.5-12.9gr of Blue Dot (CCI 300s, COAL 1.260"). Everything was fine until 12.9gr, then I got one decent bulge out of fire rounds. I had left my chronograph on, so the battery was dead. I was pissed. I would expect about 1400-1450fps from that load and barrel. Below are some pics, and I'll post a link to a video I made later on, when I upload it.

Front sight missing white part:
http://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/h329/21Carrier/Colt%20Delta%20Elite%20Pictures/IMG_2202.jpg

Fixed front sight with white nail polish:
http://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/h329/21Carrier/Colt%20Delta%20Elite%20Pictures/IMG_2206.jpg

Brass marks from ejection:
http://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/h329/21Carrier/Colt%20Delta%20Elite%20Pictures/IMG_2205.jpg

Anyone know how to remove these brass marks without damaging the bead-blasted finish? I tried using some copper solvent, which helped a little, but I was afraid to leave it on too long.

The target below shows how well I was shooting with the Delta. I was shooting at these little sub-1" targets at the bottom of my target. I didn't think I would hit them, but I hit 5 of 8. I called the three that I missed. After four hits, I got fast and cocky, and pulled a few. When I shoot it well, damn, it shoots good! This was from 15 yards. I added red arrows to show where the stray shots were intended.

http://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/h329/21Carrier/IMG_2197.jpg

I put two DEAD CENTER! I swear, if I hadn't gotten fast and cocky, I would have hit all 8. This gun is sweet. To reemphasize, these targets are barely visible at 15 yards. I've also found that at under 25 yards, I slightly cover the target with the sight. When I do that, the magic happens.

Below is the same exercise with the G20LS. Now, to be fair, these were the last shots of the day, and I was tired. However, I wasn't even CLOSE. Just look:

http://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/h329/21Carrier/IMG_2200.jpg

I notice that I have started to lift the muzzle when I get tired with the Glocks. Instead of dipping the muzzle during a flinch, I lift it. Odd.

Now, here's the Delta vs. G20LS battle part 2. Part 3 will be done when I'm warmed up but not worn out. It should be the best comparison yet. For what it's worth, here are the results. The G20LS was used for the left targets, Delta Elite on the right targets. Both guns used 8 rounds for each target, and were shot from about 18 yards.

http://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/h329/21Carrier/IMG_2199.jpg

Adding up the scores, using 10 points for each center hit, 9 for each red ring hit, then 8, 7, 6 and so on, for each successive ring, we get the following (80 points is a perfect run):

G20LS:
Target #1 (top-left): 72 points
Target #2 (bottom-left): 76 points
Average: 74 points

Delta Elite:
Target #3 (top-right): 75 points (it's hard to tell, but I think it's 5 10s, 2 9s, and one 7)
Target #4 (bottom-right): 73 points
Average: 74 points

***Borderline hits were given the lower ring score

So, it seems this round was a tie. The groups were very similar. I called that one flyer with the Delta. It pisses me off, because it was a good group until that (the last shot).

nickE10mm
12-15-2011, 07:06

Super glad your pistols is running well. That's been my experience with the venerable 10mm 1911's I've owned. Also, great shooting. Flinching will happen no matter what, especially nearing the end of a range trip.

As for your sight popping out, its okay. Easy fix. :) I don't think the people who make the Delta's realize that lots of high power ammo will be fired through them nowadays (unlike the last 10 years or so)... Also, the brass ejection marks have happened on EVERY 1911 10mm I've ever owned. Its just part of the personality of the design I suppose, although some might argue that it "could" be corrected....I'd hate to mod my ejector and then have it not RUN 100%.

Nice writeup. As we've shown time and time again, the biggest contributor to accurate shots on target is the shooter, not the weapon. :cool:

_The_Shadow
12-15-2011, 11:14
The the brass character accents of 1911's is attributed to the extractor's tension and the slide port. 1911's have an extractor that is a one piece of spring steel and is bent (in a special fixture/jig) to apply the proper tension. The ejector's length provides timing to kick the spent casing out, but as you see on your slide the markings are from the brass bouncing around as the slide is returning to battery.

As for cleaning, maybe baking soda and tooth brush? With the blasted finish most anything you use will start to polish the surface smooter and shine some. I think they use some sort of soda to do the blast finish.

I took a stainless steel brush and baking soda, to one of my S&W's pushing it into the surface rather than brushing, which did a nice job of restroing an area that had holster wear.

Another nice range report and best of luck!

Taterhead
12-15-2011, 12:03
Great writeup Carrier. Thanks for bringing us along with you. A lot of us would love to have a Delta, so living a bit vicariously.

20SFLV
12-17-2011, 12:15
I picked up a Delta Elite a few days ago. Have you been able to find any extra magazines for a reasonable price? Probably will get a few extra since they only hold 8 rounds. Also having a hard time opening the gun up to clean it up before shooting it for the first time. I try to use my thumb to rotate the retention guide to start the process, but it isn't working well. Any suggestions?

Thank you.

nickE10mm
12-17-2011, 12:20
I picked up a Delta Elite a few days ago. Have you been able to find any extra magazines for a reasonable price? Probably will get a few extra since they only hold 8 rounds. Also having a hard time opening the gun up to clean it up before shooting it for the first time. I try to use my thumb to rotate the retention guide to start the process, but it isn't working well. Any suggestions?

Thank you.

You will need a bushing wrench most likely. They come with the pistols when you buy them new...

Metalform 8rd (rounded followers) and the old Colt 8rd Delta mags worked great for me.

arushus
12-17-2011, 12:34
I saw several mags on gunbroker for halfway decent prices a few weeks back, you should check gunbroker every few days. I saw one that was only $10...

4949shooter
12-17-2011, 13:06

Thank you.

You will need a bushing wrench most likely. They come with the pistols when you buy them new...

Metalform 8rd (rounded followers) and the old Colt 8rd Delta mags worked great for me.

Or, you can try pushing down on the recoil spring plug (the knurled part), and twisting the barrel bushing while holding the recoil spring plug down. The barrel bushing, once it is to the side, will release the recoil spring plug. Then you can ease it out under pressure. Just watch your eyes, or wear eye protection, because if you let go it will fly out with 23 pounds of force.

Once the plug is out, the bushing will be able to removed only twisted to one side. So, if you can't remove it, twist it the other way.

JimIsland
12-17-2011, 13:10
Damn nice groups. Kudos to the pistols and the trigger man!!

20SFLV
12-17-2011, 17:49

I did buy it new, but not too sure I see the wrench. The only thing that I can think of that could be it is the bright orange slide item.

20SFLV
12-17-2011, 17:50
I saw several mags on gunbroker for halfway decent prices a few weeks back, you should check gunbroker every few days. I saw one that was only $10...

I have been looking on gunbroker, and there are quite a few blue ones available. I have a stainless model, and the stainless mags are more expensive. I will keep looking there though.

nickE10mm
12-17-2011, 18:19
I did buy it new, but not too sure I see the wrench. The only thing that I can think of that could be it is the bright orange slide item.

It would be a nylon tool that was included. Check the box again. If you didn't get one Kimber will probably send you one for free.

arushus
12-18-2011, 00:55
It would be a nylon tool that was included. Check the box again. If you didn't get one Kimber will probably send you one for free.

You do mean Colt, right?

TACLOAD
12-18-2011, 03:43
I have been looking on gunbroker, and there are quite a few blue ones available. I have a stainless model, and the stainless mags are more expensive. I will keep looking there though.

Check with CDNN out of Abilene Texas. They have them in stock.

21Carrier
12-18-2011, 04:54

Thank you.

That little orange thing is a chamber flag (I think that's what it's called). It's to put in the gun when you're taking it into a shop or at a shooting event. Basically, the two-pronged part slides into the chamber, and the single end sticks up and out of the breech. It shows that the chamber is unloaded.

I don't think Colts come with bushing wrenches. Mine didn't, but you shouldn't need one. You just need to use more force. It helps if the hammer is down, which holds the slide in place. Just set the gun's butt on a table (muzzle up), and use your thumb or index finger of your left hand to push down on the knurled end of the recoil spring cap. It's hard, but you can do it. Turn the bushing (which should turn easily) clockwise. Sometimes, I'll have to just turn it partway, then release the spring, and do it a second time. That spring is serious, and it hurts. You will get the hang of it. I can do it easily now.

I would recommend fully disassembling the gun and cleaning it thoroughly. My trigger felt somewhat gritty at first, but felt MUCH better after cleaning/relubing it. I think the lube was dirty, or there were metal shavings in there from manufacturing.

Damn nice groups. Kudos to the pistols and the trigger man!!

Thanks!

swinokur
12-18-2011, 07:04
I have bought 3 Delta's brand new. None had bushing wrenches, It does make take down easier

20SFLV
12-18-2011, 19:53
Check with CDNN out of Abilene Texas. They have them in stock.

They have the blue ones in stock, but not the stainless mags.

20SFLV
12-18-2011, 20:00
That little orange thing is a chamber flag (I think that's what it's called). It's to put in the gun when you're taking it into a shop or at a shooting event. Basically, the two-pronged part slides into the chamber, and the single end sticks up and out of the breech. It shows that the chamber is unloaded.

I don't think Colts come with bushing wrenches. Mine didn't, but you shouldn't need one. You just need to use more force. It helps if the hammer is down, which holds the slide in place. Just set the gun's butt on a table (muzzle up), and use your thumb or index finger of your left hand to push down on the knurled end of the recoil spring cap. It's hard, but you can do it. Turn the bushing (which should turn easily) clockwise. Sometimes, I'll have to just turn it partway, then release the spring, and do it a second time. That spring is serious, and it hurts. You will get the hang of it. I can do it easily now.

I would recommend fully disassembling the gun and cleaning it thoroughly. My trigger felt somewhat gritty at first, but felt MUCH better after cleaning/relubing it. I think the lube was dirty, or there were metal shavings in there from manufacturing.

Thanks!

I was finally able to break down the gun, and cleaned it today. What a pain in the neck! I got the two springs out, and moved on to pull retaining pin. This part reminded me of my CZ 75B where you have to line everything up, and use an object to push the pin out. I had a hard time removing the pin, but got it out.

I lubed the gun except for the barrel since I haven't gotten my bore snake for it yet. How do you remove the barrel? I was able to get the slide off, and but never figured out how to get the barrel out of the slide. I removed the plastic spring retainer, but just couldn't get the barrel out.

Putting it back together was a little easier though I had a problem with the retaining pin. The right side didn't want to go in due to that little piece of metal that compresses. I finally got it all back together, but I can see this gun will take some time to break apart to clean.

B.Reid
12-18-2011, 21:01
I was finally able to break down the gun, and cleaned it today. What a pain in the neck! I got the two springs out, and moved on to pull retaining pin. This part reminded me of my CZ 75B where you have to line everything up, and use an object to push the pin out. I had a hard time removing the pin, but got it out.

I lubed the gun except for the barrel since I haven't gotten my bore snake for it yet. How do you remove the barrel? I was able to get the slide off, and but never figured out how to get the barrel out of the slide. I removed the plastic spring retainer, but just couldn't get the barrel out.

Putting it back together was a little easier though I had a problem with the retaining pin. The right side didn't want to go in due to that little piece of metal that compresses. I finally got it all back together, but I can see this gun will take some time to break apart to clean.

The barrel comes out real easy. Google fieldstriping the 1911.

21Carrier
12-18-2011, 23:17

Stop, slow down, and read the manual! The Colt manual is decent at describing how to break it down. If that fails to clear it up, there are thousands of YouTube videos on the subject. First, the barrel comes out the FRONT, not like the Glocks. You have to remove the springs, rotate the barrel bushing back counter-clockwise, remove it, flip the little black barrel link (little black thing attached to barrel) over toward the front, then slide the barrel straight out the front. It will come right out. Be VERY careful when you're reinstalling the slide stop lever. It can be tricky to reinstall. If you push it all the way in against the frame, then slide it up and under the plunger, you will scratch the frame causing the dreaded "idiot scratch". Just be careful not to let the slide stop lever contact the frame. Also, with a triangle file and about 5 minutes, you can modify your slide stop to make reassembly VERY easy. I did it to mine, and it's great. You just file a little notch that allows you to just press the slide stop lever right down on the plunger. Here are pics:

B.Reid
12-19-2011, 10:06

Thank you.

Colt Delta Elite mags are on sale at Brownells, they has blued and stainless in stock.

danattherock
12-21-2011, 19:26
Thanks for the heads up. Heading over there now to buy a few. These 8 round mags are lacking. Otherwise, I am loving this gun. Got one a few weeks back. Apples and oranges to my G20. Love them both, but different as night and day.

-Dan

danattherock
12-21-2011, 21:02
FYI,

The Colt stainless delta elite 8 round mags were $50 at Brownells.

Found them for $38 at Midway USA.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/657595/colt-magazine-colt-1911-delta-elite-10mm-auto-8-round-stainless-steel

4949shooter
12-22-2011, 04:37
Midway is a great company..

nickE10mm
12-22-2011, 06:49

One of the best of all time.

Jitterbug
12-22-2011, 08:00
Tripp's 9 Round Cobra Mag works really well in my Dan Wesson.

broncobuddha1
12-22-2011, 10:31
Ugly. Grips. Change. Now! Lol.

For some reason, I've always loathed looking at Deltas. I think I've narrowed that distaste to the grips.

Congrats on the 1911!

21Carrier
12-24-2011, 02:42

One of the best of all time.

No doubt. MidwayUSA is, in my opinion, the best gun-related company out there. If MidwayUSA has a part, I will spend a few extra dollars to order from them. I get fast shipping, and INCREDIBLE service. Returns are "no questions asked".

For some reason, I've always loathed looking at Deltas. I think I've narrowed that distaste to the grips.

Congrats on the 1911!

I like the grips. They are actually one of my favorite parts. I guess it's because I like to shoot my guns, not stare at them. The checkered rubber grips really lock it in my hands. I'll take function over beauty any day (at least when we're talking guns).

21Carrier
12-24-2011, 02:43
By the way, here's the short video I made of me shooting it. I was having problems uploading it, then tonight, it uploaded in like 20 seconds. Odd.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDCmbYxO4lw

arushus
12-24-2011, 03:07
By the way, here's the short video I made of me shooting it. I was having problems uploading it, then tonight, it uploaded in like 20 seconds. Odd.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDCmbYxO4lw

Good video!

By the way, did you scare the **** outta your cameraman with that first shot? He made a noise and it looked like he about dropped the camera! I kinda laughed a little...

21Carrier
12-24-2011, 03:30
Good video!

By the way, did you scare the **** outta your cameraman with that first shot? He made a noise and it looked like he about dropped the camera! I kinda laughed a little...

Yeah, it was because the person holding the camera was to the side of the muzzle. You get a lot of blast from the side. It was pretty funny.

4949shooter
12-24-2011, 05:31
I often load seven rounds when shooting my (45 ACP) 1911's, even in my 8 round mags. It must be because God, with input from John Moses Browning, intended for the 1911 mags to hold seven rounds.

Good video Carrier! It's cool the way we see the muzzle flash before we hear the shot.

21Carrier
12-24-2011, 06:04
I often load seven rounds when shooting my (45 ACP) 1911's, even in my 8 round mags. It must be because God, with input from John Moses Browning, intended for the 1911 mags to hold seven rounds.

Good video Carrier! It's cool the way we see the muzzle flash before we hear the shot.

Yeah, my camera (iPhone 4) cuts out the sound during the actual shot. I guess it has a feature that limits distortion by cutting out loud sounds. So, all you really hear is the echo.

danattherock
12-24-2011, 11:22

Congrats on the 1911!

Just put my VZ grips on. They feel great.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7014/6564855435_6156b8468a.jpg

broncobuddha1
12-25-2011, 08:51
No doubt. MidwayUSA is, in my opinion, the best gun-related company out there. If MidwayUSA has a part, I will spend a few extra dollars to order from them. I get fast shipping, and INCREDIBLE service. Returns are "no questions asked".

I like the grips. They are actually one of my favorite parts. I guess it's because I like to shoot my guns, not stare at them. The checkered rubber grips really lock it in my hands. I'll take function over beauty any day (at least when we're talking guns).

No worries. You liking them is the important thing. I like shooting them too. I like the grip of the stock cocobolos on my DW but I may get something different.

21Carrier
12-30-2011, 18:23
I bought a holster for my CDE online at Amazon. I didn't realize it was not actually from Amazon, but one of their "marketplace" dealers called Big T Products. The one I ordered was a Don Hume H715M just like the one I have for my G21SF/29. When I got the holster, it was for a Colt .380 Government. Needless to say, it was TINY. After calling the place every day for a week, and sending many emails, I got no response. No one would even answer the phone. Eventually Amazon credited me back the money. I still have the holster if anyone wants it. They never asked me to send it back, and it's been almost a month. Don't use Big T Products.

Anyway, I went to some local gun shops today just messing around, and I decided to look for an IWB holster for the Delta. One of the local shops (actually, where I bought the Delta) has a good selection of Don Hume holsters, so I asked if they had one for a full-size 1911. Nothing. They must have a thousand DH holsters, but not a SINGLE ONE for a full-size 1911. How can that be? Anyway, right before giving up, I noticed a Blackhawk! LEATHER holster. I didn't even know they made leather holsters, but I asked the lady to check it. Sure enough, it was perfect.

I really like it. It's very similar to my G29's holster (which I love), but it has a body shield, which is pretty necessary for a 1911. It fits the gun well, and looks pretty good. It's also very comfortable. Now I see what everyone means about 1911s being so slim. Even though the Delta is WAY bigger than my G29, it feels much smaller. I bet a G26 would just disappear IWB. Anyway, I'm not gonna start carrying the Delta anytime soon, so I'm not even sure why I bought the damn thing. I just figured I "needed" one. It seems like Blackhawk! makes a decent leather holster. Here are some pics:

http://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/h329/21Carrier/Colt%20Delta%20Elite%20Pictures/IMG_2239.jpg

http://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/h329/21Carrier/Colt%20Delta%20Elite%20Pictures/IMG_2240.jpg

http://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/h329/21Carrier/Colt%20Delta%20Elite%20Pictures/IMG_2241.jpg

http://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/h329/21Carrier/Colt%20Delta%20Elite%20Pictures/IMG_2242.jpg

JimIsland
12-30-2011, 20:40
That looks very high quality......sweet!!