Brand New G20 (test fired @ factory 11-16-11) [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Brand New G20 (test fired @ factory 11-16-11)

glock20c10mm
12-01-2011, 19:10
Very happy!:supergrin: Yeah, just test fired 15 days ago. Can't get much fresher than that. Wasn't sure if I was going to post pics or not, since a bone stock G20 on its own isn't much of a poser. But in comparison picks to my G29 seemed like an okay thought for others who haven't bought either yet and are trying to decide which one. So without futher adoo, here they are:

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s271/glock20c10mm/12-01-11%20New%20G20/P1060305.jpg

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s271/glock20c10mm/12-01-11%20New%20G20/P1060302.jpg

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s271/glock20c10mm/12-01-11%20New%20G20/P1060307.jpg

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s271/glock20c10mm/12-01-11%20New%20G20/P1060304.jpg

Noticed the newer type finish on the G20 right away. Kind of feels like very very very fine grit sandpaper. Not sure how I like it yet. We'll see after some wear and tear I guess. Kind of think I like the older smooth finish though. Otherwise, 15 rnd mags (2) and copper stuff to clean out of the slide rails (I know, the owners manual says leave it on there, but that just doesn't gel with me and the owners manual says its only benefit is long term protection anyway...)...what else is there to say....except that neither of my two 10mm Glocks are the SF models (might try out an SF someday, but the original grip fits me fine).

4949shooter
12-01-2011, 19:26
My 20 SF was test fired 8-26-11. It looks like it has the same finish, but the barrel definately looks more grey than the slide does.

Taterhead
12-01-2011, 20:00
Congrats. It is kind of hard do tell from the photos, but the slide color looks good to me.

But then again, it is a Glock. They will never win any beauty contests.

Have a lot of fun with it. You would be hard pressed to find a newer specimen anywhere in the world.

oceanbob
12-01-2011, 21:30
Fantastic.....you own one of the best handguns in the world. :supergrin: Nothing better.

Be well, Bob

Beanie-Bean
12-01-2011, 21:38
Congrats! Looks like Santa arrived early at your place.

21Carrier
12-02-2011, 01:00
Nice! I still don't own a G20. I'm probably going to wait for the Gen4 to come out. Since my G20LS sort of fills the role of a G20 (for now), I have a few others in line ahead of it. I still want a S&W 10XX, and I NEED some sort of small 9mm. I am thinking about a Ruger LC9 or similar. Or maybe I'll go with a G33. I have even been thinking about a G39. Any of those small ones would just be used for carry while at work. I just need something more suitable to deep concealment than my G29 for work.

nickE10mm
12-02-2011, 07:05
Nice! I still don't own a G20. I'm probably going to wait for the Gen4 to come out. Since my G20LS sort of fills the role of a G20 (for now), I have a few others in line ahead of it. I still want a S&W 10XX, and I NEED some sort of small 9mm.

Understood, I agree....

I am thinking about a Ruger LC9 or similar. Or maybe I'll go with a G33. I have even been thinking about a G39. Any of those small ones would just be used for carry while at work. I just need something more suitable to deep concealment than my G29 for work.

I've got my eye out for a good, SMALL 9mm someday, too. Look at the Ruger LC9 (value) or the Kahr CM9 (value), or the Kahr PM9 (nicer). I looked at and held the SigP290 a while back and really didn't like it compared to the Ruger and Kahr. Just FYI

arushus
12-02-2011, 07:30
Nice! I still don't own a G20. I'm probably going to wait for the Gen4 to come out. Since my G20LS sort of fills the role of a G20 (for now), I have a few others in line ahead of it. I still want a S&W 10XX, and I NEED some sort of small 9mm. I am thinking about a Ruger LC9 or similar. Or maybe I'll go with a G33. I have even been thinking about a G39. Any of those small ones would just be used for carry while at work. I just need something more suitable to deep concealment than my G29 for work.

Understood, I agree....

I've got my eye out for a good, SMALL 9mm someday, too. Look at the Ruger LC9 (value) or the Kahr CM9 (value), or the Kahr PM9 (nicer). I looked at and held the SigP290 a while back and really didn't like it compared to the Ruger and Kahr. Just FYI

Im in the same boat as both of you, cant make up my mind. Im considering a G26, or a G33, I dunno why but Im somewhat averse to the G27. And I know the 27 and 33 are pretty much interchangeable with conversion barrels, but Id rather have a stock 33...or a 26, haha. If I can find an OD 26, I would probably jump on it, otherwise, Im holding out for a gen 4 g33. That's just the glocks im considering for CC.
I really like the Ruger LC9 also, especially since crimson trace makes a badass laser for it now that fits on the trigger guard! Try not to laugh real hard, but I really want a S&W Bodyguard380, I think it would be the perfect BUG in maybe a ankle holster or something similar...Loaded with hornady's FTX bullets, it would be a pretty decent defensive firearm. I watched some youtube vidoes of people testing hornady's 380ftx rounds and they opened up perfectly and penetrated ~10-11 inches in ballistic gelatin...I was real impressed!

_The_Shadow
12-02-2011, 11:36
Congradulations, nothing says lovin' like a poppin' fresh G-20! :)

leeward419
12-02-2011, 17:14
Hi
do you have a g19 or 26 to compare that with, Im thinking g29/g30 (just got my first 10mm a couple of weeks ago its a g20)wondering size
If not ok anyhow just wondering
Thanks
and congrats on the new one..!! Id would be interested in your observations on the difference between the g29 and g20 in a few weeks after you have had a chance to shoot for a while
I noticed what felt like more friction due to the new finish on the slide when racking, dry fireing etc too.
Love the 10MM

glock20c10mm
12-02-2011, 19:03
Hi
do you have a g19 or 26 to compare that with, Im thinking g29/g30 (just got my first 10mm a couple of weeks ago its a g20)wondering size
If not ok anyhow just wondering
Thanks
I've never owned a G19, but here's my G29 next to a G19 -

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s271/glock20c10mm/G29/G29-9-1-07022.jpg

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s271/glock20c10mm/G29/G29-9-1-07023.jpg

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s271/glock20c10mm/G29/G29-9-1-07030.jpg

and congrats on the new one..!! Id would be interested in your observations on the difference between the g29 and g20 in a few weeks after you have had a chance to shoot for a while
I noticed what felt like more friction due to the new finish on the slide when racking, dry fireing etc too.
Love the 10MM
Thanks. I notice the new finish creating more friction too when I rack the slide. May be a while before I actually get out to shoot it though. Been splurging quite a bit lately and it's left me a bit short on ammo. Have a few boxes left, but hanging on kind of tight to them right now.

arushus
12-03-2011, 02:54
I noticed a lot of friction also...but it goes away with use, my g20 is very smooth now

glock20c10mm
12-04-2011, 04:31
To those of you that brought up the micro 9s, I've been looking into them myself for when I want a carry something smaller than the G29. Been checking out the manufacturers websites, YouTube vids, and Google shopping for prices.

I've decided on staying away from the Kahr PM9 and CW9 all together. Too many of them just don't hold up and there's no excuse at the price point they're at (~$600). Just spend a few minutes in the Kahr forum here on GT and that becomes a no brainer, especially with so many other good options available.

http://cdn.armslist.com/images/posts/634388502134153225veesu0mm.jpg

The Ruger LC9 seems decent and seems to be a fair shooter, but I have no interest in the manual safety that sticks out beyond the side of the slide, nor the loaded chamber indicator along the top of the slide that is so oversized it's ridiculous! Otherwise the street price is pretty fair ~$360. Also, after seeing the demonstrations on YouTube, you have to have the trigger waaaay back before it releases the striker, and more than one person commented that by the time it finally breaks you're pulling your shots until after some good practice with it.

http://www.ruger.com/products/lc9/images/3200.jpg

The KelTec PF9 seems to be the most decent of what's available at the lowest price point. ~$260 street price. Trigger releases the striker sooner than on the Ruger LC9, and if you're interested in very low weight the KelTec PF9 is about 3 oz lighter too. I would personally choose the PF9 over the LC9.

http://www.impactguns.com/data/default/images/catalog/535/kel_9mm_blue_black.jpg

The Kimber Solo I kind of shyed away from right away after mention of failures to feed. Don't know the details, but I for one am just not going their when other perfectly good options are available. Even Kimbers website says it's only designed to shoot 124gr and 147gr. Plus they're over $600. Nuff said.

http://www.kimber1911pistols.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/kimber-solo-carry-12.jpg

Right now my interest is in the new Beretta Nano 9mm. Price is middle-of-the-road at ~$400. Compared to the Kahr PM9, the Nano is less than " longer and less than " taller. They are equal in thickness at .90". But this Nano is a beefy little thing weighing in at over 1 pound (17.67 oz) and I suspect it will tame recoil better than the rest. Plus the Nano's slide is machined from a solid piece of steel and the polymer frame has a stainless steel liner in it. And the Nano was first designed around the 40S&W and then later refit for 9mm that is being sold now, with it coming out in 40S&W in the future. Plus you can go to Beretta's website where they take a Nano, completely degrease it so no lubrication is left, and then run 1000 rounds of mixed ammo through it without any malfunctions (3 different guys did the shooting). I for one am not ready to buy yet, but will be keeping a close eye on future Nano reviews (it's brand new, there aren't many reviews out there yet), and suspect the Beretta Nano will probably be the micro 9 I end up with.

http://www.homedefenseweapons.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Beretta-Nano-BU-9-9mm-Subcompact.jpg

Really don't see a reason to even consider the 380s anymore.

cowboywannabe
12-04-2011, 07:50
well sports fans, im keeping my Colt Delta Elite First Edition Stainless, but i put my G20 and G29 up for swaps for similar G21 and G30.

i just dont shoot the 10mm as much any more and when i do its with my CDE.

GotFour
12-04-2011, 11:58
[QUOTE=glock20c10mm;18240350]To those of you that brought up the micro 9s, I've been looking into them myself for when I want a carry something smaller than the G29. Been checking out the manufacturers websites, YouTube vids, and Google shopping for prices.

I've decided on staying away from the Kahr PM9 and CW9 all together. Too many of them just don't hold up and there's no excuse at the price point they're at (~$600). Just spend a few minutes in the Kahr forum here on GT and that becomes a no brainer, especially with so many other good options available.

http://cdn.armslist.com/images/posts/634388502134153225veesu0mm.jpg

Well I must be one lucky sumbeech cause my Kahr PM9 is 100% ......as is my G36 :supergrin: How can this be?????

oh, this is the 10 Ring forum, my G20 is 100% too!!!

glock20c10mm
12-04-2011, 13:17
Well I must be one lucky sumbeech cause my Kahr PM9 is 100%
Glad you got a good one. Seems like most do. Then there are the nightmares for others, too many others IMHO. I'm not telling anyone not to buy a PM9. Just posted what I've observed (over the case of years relating to the Kahr's specifically) and my personal opinion(s). Certainly I would expect others will do their own research and not make a decision based solely on my post above.

Do you or have you owned any other micro-9s? If so, what were your thoughts on them?

How many rounds do you have through it?

What do you use for range ammo and what have you found to be a reliable carry load for your PM9?

How old is the gun?

Any +P/+P+?

A Kahr owner posted that it would help to have a few extra hands while being able to see both sides of the gun at the same time to field strip it if you don't have the wedge thingy to hold the slide open that Kahr doesn't supply with the guns that some people jury rig themselves. Do you see truth in that?

SolidBrass
12-04-2011, 18:31
well sports fans, im keeping my Colt Delta Elite First Edition Stainless, but i put my G20 and G29 up for swaps for similar G21 and G30.

I'd swap my gen 3 G21 (brand new) for a gen 3 G29 if we could work out the shipping.

GotFour
12-04-2011, 18:50
Glad you got a good one. Seems like most do. Then there are the nightmares for others, too many others IMHO. I'm not telling anyone not to buy a PM9. Just posted what I've observed (over the case of years relating to the Kahr's specifically) and my personal opinion(s). Certainly I would expect others will do their own research and not make a decision based solely on my post above.

Do you or have you owned any other micro-9s? If so, what were your thoughts on them?

How many rounds do you have through it?

What do you use for range ammo and what have you found to be a reliable carry load for your PM9?

How old is the gun?

Any +P/+P+?

A Kahr owner posted that it would help to have a few extra hands while being able to see both sides of the gun at the same time to field strip it if you don't have the wedge thingy to hold the slide open that Kahr doesn't supply with the guns that some people jury rig themselves. Do you see truth in that?

Bought mid-year 2009, don't keep round count (pocket rockets aren't meant to be range pistols), Win. 115 grn White Box gave/gives me flawless function (note break-in target 100 rounds, zero failures, very accurate), For carry Hornady 115 grn Personal Defense has been flawless........I don't shoot +p in the mini guns. I love Glocks but my G26 feels like a brick compared to the Kahr for pocket carry. I carry an extra mag in a nylon pocket knife holster.....disappears in your pocket. I would not hesitate to buy another Kahr if I were in the market for a pocket nine.

attrapereves
12-04-2011, 19:02
I bought a Kahr CW9 for a summer carry gun. I considered the CM9, but I prefer the larger grip on the CW. I've got about 500 rounds through it with only one FTF during the first 25 rounds.

I highly recommend the CW9, but it seems that Kahr has had some issues with their other products (mostly the P380).

My G29 and 30 have been flawless since day one. The G19 had a few FTF which surprised me (might have been the reloaded USAAmmo).

cowboywannabe
12-04-2011, 19:25
wasnt this thread about 10mms?

GotFour
12-04-2011, 19:52

Mission creep :supergrin:

glock20c10mm
12-05-2011, 20:01
Bought mid-year 2009, don't keep round count (pocket rockets aren't meant to be range pistols), Win. 115 grn White Box gave/gives me flawless function (note break-in target 100 rounds, zero failures, very accurate), For carry Hornady 115 grn Personal Defense has been flawless........I don't shoot +p in the mini guns. I love Glocks but my G26 feels like a brick compared to the Kahr for pocket carry. I carry an extra mag in a nylon pocket knife holster.....disappears in your pocket. I would not hesitate to buy another Kahr if I were in the market for a pocket nine.
Sounds good. I like your carry choice of the 115gr Hornady Personal Defense.

glock20c10mm
12-05-2011, 20:13
:rofl: Well.......yeah.......ummm.......feel more than free to turn it back around toward 10mms if you like.:supergrin: Little bit of micro-9 talk never hurt anything.

So um, when's Glock coming out with that single stack micro-10? Anyone hear anything on that? Something about a fully supported barrel in conjunction with a 25# recoil spring and I think maybe a 2.75# trigger pull with 5+1 capacity...? Think an extended barrel will be available? Hoping it comes with 3 mags.:dunno:

I'ld buy one!!!:thumbsup:

4949shooter
12-05-2011, 20:20
I think somebody on this forum, or maybe the 1911 forum, is converting a
Detonics into a ten millimeter. That ought to have a little spank to it.

glock20c10mm
12-05-2011, 20:27
I think somebody on this forum, or maybe the 1911 forum, is converting a
Detonics into a ten millimeter. That ought to have a little spank to it.
Just got done googling the now defunct Detonics. Interesting. Hope they post over here in the "10 Ring" how it turns out if it turns out.

4949shooter
12-05-2011, 20:35
Just got done googling the now defunct Detonics. Interesting. Hope they post over here in the "10 Ring" how it turns out if it turns out.

I wish I could remember who. I'll jump over to the 1911 forum and see if i can dig something up.

4949shooter
12-05-2011, 20:50
Here is an old thread on it from the 10 Ring:

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1299539

I don't know if this is the same GT member who posted about it more recently. I couldn't find anything on the 1911 forum.