.40 with titegroup update [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : .40 with titegroup update

dvrdwn72
12-01-2011, 19:32
I've been loading for awhile now and figured I'd post an update so here goes, .40 mixed brass, 1-2x's fired, 4.3 grain tg, precision delta 180 grain fmj, 1.126 +/- .001 oal, glock 35. This load feels good and not to much recoil, easy to follow the front sight for Uspsa and idpa. This has been on a stock set up by the way. I have found a good load that is easy to manage and feels like it makes major power factor of 165. I am now going to throw in a 14 lb. Spring and steel rod to see how it does. Chrono results will follow in the next week or so.
I used bullseye for some loads but it just didn't feel as good as the titegroup, and titegroup is readily available where I am. If my current load is close to what I need, I should be able to adjust the oal. I welcome any "tips" or advice.

XDRoX
12-01-2011, 19:45
I'm glad you're having good luck.

Just want to point out that more guns have been kaboom'd using TG in 40 than any other round on earth.

Not that you will fall victim, just so you are aware. I don't mean to sound cynical, just that every kaboom I read about mentions TG and 40.

dvrdwn72
12-01-2011, 20:34
I've heard the same. I'm trying to be very careful with it, checking and double checking every round. I keep the loads under 4.5grain, and an oal of 1.126 or greater. I have had great luck following the Manuel. If I could readily get universal or power pistol here I'd try it.

Steve Koski
12-01-2011, 20:58
Right on. Be careful and you'll never have a problem. Double charge one and you'll have a problem.

D. Manley
12-01-2011, 21:20
I've been loading for awhile now and figured I'd post an update so here goes, .40 mixed brass, 1-2x's fired, 4.3 grain tg, precision delta 180 grain fmj, 1.126 +/- .001 oal, glock 35. This load feels good and not to much recoil, easy to follow the front sight for Uspsa and idpa. This has been on a stock set up by the way. I have found a good load that is easy to manage and feels like it makes major power factor of 165. I am now going to throw in a 14 lb. Spring and steel rod to see how it does. Chrono results will follow in the next week or so.
I used bullseye for some loads but it just didn't feel as good as the titegroup, and titegroup is readily available where I am. If my current load is close to what I need, I should be able to adjust the oal. I welcome any "tips" or advice.

I don't use a lot of TG but 3.5 grains under a 180 grain FP @ 1.130 is one of my absolute favorite .40 loads. Shoots soft, runs the gun great and is very accurate.

dvrdwn72
12-01-2011, 23:30
I actually have 10 rounds of 3.5 loaded to try. I'm also going to try 3.8 and 4.0. All loaded at 1.126 oal for starters. I hope to get ahold of a chrono in the next week. I'm also going to load up the same loads but with 1.128, 1.130 oal. I'll know in the morning how the 14# rsa spring works.

MrVvrroomm
12-02-2011, 07:34
I don't use a lot of TG but 3.5 grains under a 180 grain FP @ 1.130 is one of my absolute favorite .40 loads. Shoots soft, runs the gun great and is very accurate.
This is a great 40 minor load

dvrdwn72
12-02-2011, 12:24
Well today I ran 10 rounds of 3.0 grain with the 14lb spring and everything functioned like it should. It was soft recoil, accurate at 15 yards, and felt good. I also ran another 100 rounds of 4.3 grain and the 35 felt real good during fast steel shooting. Next Friday I will have a chrono so I can see where all these different loads fall.

SlammedDime
12-03-2011, 14:00
I've been using TG for my .40 since I started reloading years ago... I love it!

I use Longshot for my .40 carry loads though. No chance of a double charge and I get a nice long burn with high velocity.

unclebob
12-03-2011, 14:26
Try 4.0 Titegroup 180 gr plated bullet. At 1.135 850 FPS.

cysoto
12-03-2011, 21:27
...3.5 grains (of Titegroup) under a 180 grain FP @ 1.130 is one of my absolute favorite .40 loads. Shoots soft, runs the gun great and is very accurate.
Agreed! This is my wife's USPSA Production load. It easily makes Minor PF and it is very accurate. The only drawback to TG is that it is a somewhat dirty powder but most of the sooth that it leaves behind is easily wiped off.

BTW, 4.6gr of TG behind a 180gr bullet will most likely make Major PF.

dvrdwn72
12-04-2011, 16:04
I got a few different loads made. Friday ill chrono them.

D. Manley
12-04-2011, 16:57
Well today I ran 10 rounds of 3.0 grain with the 14lb spring and everything functioned like it should. It was soft recoil, accurate at 15 yards, and felt good. I also ran another 100 rounds of 4.3 grain and the 35 felt real good during fast steel shooting. Next Friday I will have a chrono so I can see where all these different loads fall.

I load them at 3.2 grains for my wife. She prefers my G35 using this load to her own G26 with anything.

dvrdwn72
12-04-2011, 19:56
I've got some 3.2 gr. To chrono. On Friday I ran 10 of each, 3.0, and 3.2. I have more loaded up for Friday. Now 3.8 gr. Felt very good at last months idpa match,and that was with the factory rsa. I now have a 14# spring and steel rod so I'm gonna run them again in Friday's chrono/ practice. I also have varying oal's with the different grains of powder. This is actually kinda fun, searching for the perfect .40 load.

D. Manley
12-05-2011, 11:07
I've got some 3.2 gr. To chrono. On Friday I ran 10 of each, 3.0, and 3.2. I have more loaded up for Friday. Now 3.8 gr. Felt very good at last months idpa match,and that was with the factory rsa. I now have a 14# spring and steel rod so I'm gonna run them again in Friday's chrono/ practice. I also have varying oal's with the different grains of powder. This is actually kinda fun, searching for the perfect .40 load.

You may enjoy reading THIS ARTICLE (http://www.handgunsmag.com/2010/09/24/ammunition_40lite_091806/).

Murphy's Law
12-05-2011, 14:37
Anyone ever try 165gr/TMJ bullet with Titegroup and if so how much powder?

D. Manley
12-05-2011, 15:25
Anyone ever try 165gr/TMJ bullet with Titegroup and if so how much powder?

3.9 | 4.0 grains under a 165 runs very good in my G-35 whether a 165 grain Zero JHP or Rainier FP.

shotgunred
12-05-2011, 22:35
I'm glad you're having good luck.

Just want to point out that more guns have been kaboom'd using TG in 40 than any other round on earth.

Not that you will fall victim, just so you are aware. I don't mean to sound cynical, just that every kaboom I read about mentions TG and 40.

No that would be AA#5.

But playing with major power factor and TG is asking for trouble.

dvrdwn72
12-08-2011, 10:19
Ok, here's an update. I have a few rounds loaded up for chrono. Everything from 3 grains up to 4.5. I also just got some power pistol powder in just now.

Crosshair_84
12-09-2011, 12:58
I've been using TG for my .40 since I started reloading years ago... I love it!
Same here. I use the Lee 180 grain TC mold for by bullets. I was using the "Soup can" SWC before, but my Ruger PC-40 wouldn't feed them. (My Hi-Point 4095 would eat them all day though.:rofl:)

fredj338
12-09-2011, 13:35
No that would be AA#5.

But playing with major power factor and TG is asking for trouble.

Agree, I hear guys all the time saying they safely make major using TG. Then I hear so many guys blowing their 40s up using, uh TG for major. So If you really want to use TG, iIMO, use it for what it was designed for, bunnyfart minor loads.

dvrdwn72
12-09-2011, 19:43
Well only had time to chrono the 3.5 grain tg, which came in at an ave. 780 fps. I did chrono the power pistol, just 5, 5.4 and 5, 5.7 grain. The 5.4 came in at an avg 880 fps and the 5.7 came in at an avg. 940. All out of a 5.32" barrel. The 5.7 grain gave me a calculated 171.1 power factor. I do seem to like the pp a bit better. All rounds were all at a 1.128 oal.More chrono to come soon.

WiskyT
12-10-2011, 07:49
Agree, I hear guys all the time saying they safely make major using TG. Then I hear so many guys blowing their 40s up using, uh TG for major. So If you really want to use TG, iIMO, use it for what it was designed for, bunnyfart minor loads.

916fps with a lead bullet and Bullseye is easy. People blow up guns all the time using powders other than TG. They blow their guns up because they are dumb.

There is something about the personality of amature competitors that I can't really articulate. They are very impulsive, fadish if that's a word. They flit from one thing to another to get an advantage. Anything but train better or accept their limitations. If they paid more attention to WTF they were doing, in general, they would shoot better and blow up less guns. If they latest guru grows a pencil thin mustache, withing a month, all of the amatures will be looking like Cesar Romero.

TG is one of those fads. It's just a fast powder, best suited for launching wadcutters at 700fps, but it's just a fast powder. It is part of the fadish culture in the weekend ninja associations. So you have a million middle aged men running around concetrating on what socks to wear (nomex) while ignoring the basics like making sure you advance the shellplate on your 550.

dvrdwn72
12-10-2011, 11:16
No that would be AA#5.

But playing with major power factor and TG is asking for trouble.well, I can't help the fact that most blow up their guns. Mabye, just Mabye if they used what the lord gave em' they wouldn't. Pay the $%#@ attention when you load. I can't for the life of me figure out how someone can double charge a load of 4 grains of tg and not see it as its obvious when looking in the case! How dumb are people for saying " well I heard this, I read that, you'll blow up your gun!

dvrdwn72
12-10-2011, 11:19
916fps with a lead bullet and Bullseye is easy. People blow up guns all the time using powders other than TG. They blow their guns up because they are dumb.

There is something about the personality of amature competitors that I can't really articulate. They are very impulsive, fadish if that's a word. They flit from one thing to another to get an advantage. Anything but train better or accept their limitations. If they paid more attention to WTF they were doing, in general, they would shoot better and blow up less guns. If they latest guru grows a pencil thin mustache, withing a month, all of the amatures will be looking like Cesar Romero.

TG is one of those fads. It's just a fast powder, best suited for launching wadcutters at 700fps, but it's just a fast powder. It is part of the fadish culture in the weekend ninja associations. So you have a million middle aged men running around concetrating on what socks to wear (nomex) while ignoring the basics like making sure you advance the shellplate on your 550.well said,

dvrdwn72
12-10-2011, 11:27
People, use whatever powder you like. Just check, double check, and check everything, again, and you will be good. Titegroup,bullseye, aa, power pistol, whatever. Titegroup at major pf in your glock will not make it blow up, just be careful. And case gauge everything.

fredj338
12-10-2011, 23:33
well, I can't help the fact that most blow up their guns. Mabye, just Mabye if they used what the lord gave em' they wouldn't. Pay the $%#@ attention when you load. I can't for the life of me figure out how someone can double charge a load of 4 grains of tg and not see it as its obvious when looking in the case! How dumb are people for saying " well I heard this, I read that, you'll blow up your gun!

IT's not dumb, **** happens & some of us just report. Regardless of how careful you are, usign tools & techniques that are more challenging is just creating more opportunity for a mistake. For noobs, you don' tneed that. Most of these comments are geared to stearing noobs into safe reloading habits/techniques. That starts w/ proper powder choice, TG is NO the proper powder choice for running major in the 40 for all the previously stated reasons.
As Wisky notes, it isn't the powder, but handicapping yourself to be in the fad group using this or that is just foolsih when yo ucan use other "safer" powder choices.

WiskyT
12-11-2011, 10:38
IT's not dumb, **** happens & some of us just report. Regardless of how careful you are, usign tools & techniques that are more challenging is just creating more opportunity for a mistake. For noobs, you don' tneed that. Most of these comments are geared to stearing noobs into safe reloading habits/techniques. That starts w/ proper powder choice, TG is NO the proper powder choice for running major in the 40 for all the previously stated reasons.
As Wisky notes, it isn't the powder, but handicapping yourself to be in the fad group using this or that is just foolsih when yo ucan use other "safer" powder choices.

I'm with dvrdwn72. It's not the powder AT ALL. Some people just have no business reloading. Usually they are the same people that have no business driving. People who can't drive and talk on the phone shouldn't be driving at all.

dvrdwn72
12-11-2011, 20:22
Even when I was a noob, I started out with titegroup. I did what I was taught, checked everything over and over. pay close attention don't drink a 6 pack, jam out to some ozzy. Watch what you are doing!!! And guess what???? You glock won't explode or disintegrate. Titegroup is a great powder. It's clean, low muzzle flash if any, and makes major power factor easily, and is available almost everywhere. Keep your oal at a minimum of 1.126. Inspect your brass, primer depth, and make sure you case gauge everything. It's that simple. If you have a kaboom, you failed to do something.

dvrdwn72
12-11-2011, 20:30
As Wisky notes, it isn't the powder, but handicapping yourself to be in the fad group using this or that is just foolsih when yo ucan use other "safer" powder choices. how's is a fad?? Vv320 would be the fad, that's what the big dogs use???? I use tg, several police depts around me use tg, Yup most of the training ammo they use are reloads. In a glock none the less. Don't be stupid with it and it will serve you well. Tg is on almost every shelf, everywhere you go. It goes a lot further than a lot of other powders making it worth the money.

cysoto
12-11-2011, 22:13
how's is a fad?? Vv320 would be the fad, that's what the big dogs use????
I strongly agree with your statement!! I too fell victim to the N320 Kool-Aid 'cause that's what all the kewl-kids use and I thought it to be nothing more than EXPENSIVE. There is no magic accuracy or unbelievable recoil control that can be attributed only to N320. This powder is little more than a fad for those that think that if "I spend a lot of money in my powder I will shoot like Sevigny" crowd.

Titegroup is affordable, easy to find and accurate. I have been using it for a while in 9mm and .40 Minor and I have tried it with good results in .40 Major though I still prefer Solo 1000 for this application.

dvrdwn72
12-11-2011, 22:17
:thumbsup:I strongly agree with your statement!! I too fell victim to the N320 Kool-Aid 'cause that's what all the kewl-kids use and I thought it to be nothing more than EXPENSIVE. There is no magic accuracy or unbelievable recoil control that can be attributed only to N320. This powder is little more than a fad for those that think that if "I spend a lot of money in my powder I will shoot like Sevigny" crowd.

Titegroup is affordable, easy to find and accurate. I have been using it for a while in 9mm and .40 Minor and I have tried it with good results in .40 Major though I still prefer Solo 1000 for this application.

:thumbsup:

fredj338
12-12-2011, 10:31
how's is a fad?? Vv320 would be the fad, that's what the big dogs use???? I use tg, several police depts around me use tg, Yup most of the training ammo they use are reloads. In a glock none the less. Don't be stupid with it and it will serve you well. Tg is on almost every shelf, everywhere you go. It goes a lot further than a lot of other powders making it worth the money.

Well, I talk to a lot of noob reloaders. They almost all get the "use TG" recomendation form the local gun clubs or gunshops. SO while maybe not fad, certainly ill informed recommendation for many applications. Sure, as noted, it's always on the reloader, but why make it more diff to save 1/3c per round, to what gain? I say little to none.:dunno: Obviously, for the exp reloaders, please feel free to ignore my thoughts, the anti TG rant is no tmeant for you. It's meant for the nob looking to reload safely & w/ as few problems as possible. Especially wehn loading large cases or small high pressure rounds. :wavey:

unclebob
12-12-2011, 10:53
Why is it that if a person uses a certain powder that all of a sudden it is a fade now? Just because Dave Sevigny uses it. Or some other big shooter uses it. I could care less. I use what I have found that works for me for the application that Iím using it for. I donít need a powder that if I double charge it will over flow the case. I learned many years ago to get off my butt when loading and stand so that I can look inside each and every case using a good light shining inside the case, and I also use a powder check as a backup. It took me 49 years out of 50 to get a squib load, And never a double charge. I had a squib only because I got distracted short stroked the press, and disregarded the low powder warning going off thinking it was the low primer warning going off. That did go off when I raised the handle. But when I did do a case check because it was for a match. I found a case that was not crimped. So I knew somewhere in that 500 rds. was a squib load. That ammo went to the practice range with a brass rod and hammer. And I had to load 500 more.

dvrdwn72
12-12-2011, 12:13
I don't get this " accidently " double charging with tg. I went out to the bench, got a case and put 4.3 grn in one, and 8.6 grn in another. It was more than obvious one was double charged. I'm not pro or anti titegroup. I actually use w231 and power pistol more. But I am anti " Ohhhh, I just screwed up, blew up my gun, its the powders fault"!!!!. Like I said, most "big" dogs use vv320 or 340.

dvrdwn72
12-12-2011, 12:20
Moral of the thread is. Take a class, learn first hand from experienced reloaders. Use any components you wish. Follow the rules and have fun. I've got a lot of good data using tg, it WILL make 165 power factor safely only if your safe about loading it.

fredj338
12-12-2011, 13:57
Moral of the thread is. Take a class, learn first hand from experienced reloaders. Use any components you wish. Follow the rules and have fun. I've got a lot of good data using tg, it WILL make 165 power factor safely only if your safe about loading it.

Just for giggles, what is your "safe" TG/40 major load? Yes you can just get to major in a longer bbl w/ TG, but you are riding the edge, that isn't safe IMO. Weak case, bullet setback powder measure off by as little as 0.1gr & it isn't going to be fun. Use the right tools for the right job. I can open a can of paint w/ a screwdriver or kill fys w/ a hammer, but there are better tools for those jobs just like there are better powder choices for certain applications.:dunno:

Colorado4Wheel
12-12-2011, 14:15
From Hodgons website....

180 GR. HDY XTP Hodgdon Titegroup .400" 1.125" 4.2 877 fps 26,500 PSI 4.7 978 fps 33,300 PSI

877 fps + 978fps/2 = 930fps
170 PF = 170000/180= 944 fps.

It's right about a midrange load as far as Hodgdon is concerned.

dvrdwn72
12-12-2011, 14:29
From Hodgons website....

180 GR. HDY XTP Hodgdon Titegroup .400" 1.125" 4.2 877 fps 26,500 PSI 4.7 978 fps 33,300 PSI

877 fps + 978fps/2 = 930fps
170 PF = 170000/180= 944 fps.

It's right about a midrange load as far as Hodgdon is concerned.Yup, I run 4.4 grn. 3.8 grain is perfect for steel matches. What's a glock barrel good for?? 35,000 psi

dvrdwn72
12-12-2011, 14:31
Well, I talk to a lot of noob reloaders. They almost all get the "use TG" recomendation form the local gun clubs or gunshops. SO while maybe not fad, certainly ill informed recommendation for many applications. Sure, as noted, it's always on the reloader, but why make it more diff to save 1/3c per round, to what gain? I say little to none.:dunno: Obviously, for the exp reloaders, please feel free to ignore my thoughts, the anti TG rant is no tmeant for you. It's meant for the nob looking to reload safely & w/ as few problems as possible. Especially wehn loading large cases or small high pressure rounds. :wavey: agreed.

dvrdwn72
12-12-2011, 14:38
Just for giggles, what is your "safe" TG/40 major load? Yes you can just get to major in a longer bbl w/ TG, but you are riding the edge, that isn't safe IMO. Weak case, bullet setback powder measure off by as little as 0.1gr & it isn't going to be fun. Use the right tools for the right job. I can open a can of paint w/ a screwdriver or kill fys w/ a hammer, but there are better tools for those jobs just like there are better powder choices for certain applications.:dunno:
My gun, 4.4 grain tg. Spent caseings look good too. And oh yes, stock barrel. I avg. 931-950 fps which should be a pf of around 171ish. So, I can safely reload tg at 4.3 gr. At say 1.128 oal in a stock barrel. WOW. Best of all, the guy behind the counter selling it said????? Be safe!

D. Manley
12-12-2011, 16:16
I've shot a variety of TG loads in 9MM, .40 and .45 ACP. I'm sorta' ambivalent on most of them but in light .40 loads, it's very close to my favorite. I say close only because there's a VV N-310 load that is incredibly sweet in every respect for a range load but, it's not published and 310 makes TG look slow in comparison. There is a TG load range in 9MM that has proven very accurate for me and if that's all I had, I'd be perfectly satisfied. Oddly, a max load of TG in .45 has provided as tight a groups as I've seen with any bullet/powder combination but that said, I really dislike shooting it...very "snappy" and I find it not pleasurable at all to shoot. I think one of the reasons TG has the KB reputation is as much it's so immensly popular and easily available as it is the burn rate and small case density. There are many other powders at or faster than the TG burn rate that you hear very little about. I suspect this is where popular usage comes in and it is somewhat easier to detect overcharges in some of the bulkier alternatives. That said, significant overcharges of TG are visually detectable in most (but not all) caliber's...case in point, you'd be hard pressed to see an overcharge in a .38 Special case on a lot of machines. Bottom line IMHO, TG is just another powder as far as experienced reloaders go, if you like it, use it. For the beginner, I'd tend to agree with Fred to the point that there are safer alternatives to learn to reload with.

fredj338
12-12-2011, 21:21
For the beginner, I'd tend to agree with Fred to the point that there are safer alternatives to learn to reload with.
I teach reloading classes & my primary focus is to get noobs off & reloading on a safe footing. Starting out w/ less than desireable components for the wrong uses is only asking for trouble. Once they have 1500+ rounds under their belt, a better understanding of the process & pitfalls, they'll gravitate to find their own favorites. Yes, I can cobble safe ammo together using a jar of unknown WTF powder but I would not recommend it to a noob reloader.:grouphug: