Do certain rounds give issues? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Do certain rounds give issues?

MotoGlock
12-02-2011, 00:16
Hello everyone. New to the forum and bought my first gun a mount ago. Glock 23. I LOVE this gun! Love it. :embarassed: Still learning a lot. Watching a lot of vids. Mas Ayoob, I like his vids.

Well here is the issue I had tonight. I've shot about 300 rounds through my 23 already. First box I forget the brand, it was purchased from the range. I then purchased a bunch of ammo from Wallmart (ok it's the cheapeast) I did several hunder rounds of the Federal 180gr FMJ without a single problem. Gun is flawless.
Tonight I had a box of the Winchester 180gr JHP personal protection. (attached picture) It caused my gun to jam every single time I loaded with it! every time. I made sure I wasn't limp wristing it. I'm sure I wasn't at least I don't think so. Bullet woult fail to go into the barrel and be stuck. When I switched to the Federal FMJ, no problem - perfect. Switch back to Winchester JHP, jams.

Is there something I am doing wrong? Or does my gun not like this particular type or brand of ammo?

Thanks

9mm +p+
12-02-2011, 02:11
Every gun is different, it seems yours does not like those JHP's. Try another brand of them and see if that fixes it. Strange though I've never heard of a Glock that wouldn't feed anything you crammed in it?

MotoGlock
12-02-2011, 14:21
Thanks for the reply. I'm a noob to Glocks.
This particular JHP had a smaller opening at the cavity compared to others.
The round would get stuck right befre it tried to enter the barrel. I don't know if that is a cause of limp wristing? Going to trya a different brand tomorrow.

Still curious if anyone here experienced isses with this brand ? Thanks

MotoGlock
12-02-2011, 16:17
This vid I found he has similiar issues with particural rounds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCeBS6dzJs4

9mm +p+
12-02-2011, 16:48
Thanks for the reply. I'm a noob to Glocks.
This particular JHP had a smaller opening at the cavity compared to others.
The round would get stuck right befre it tried to enter the barrel. I don't know if that is a cause of limp wristing? Going to trya a different brand tomorrow.

Still curious if anyone here experienced isses with this brand ? Thanks

Is your feed ramp smooth? I've run Ranger T's, Gold dots and plain old Winchester bulk JHP's in my 45 and 9 Glocks and never had an issue. Limp wristing in my experience would probably be a FTE not a FTF? I'm surprised no one else has come in on this ?

packinaglock
12-02-2011, 16:59
I had 7 Glocks before the boat accident and never found a brand of ammo that they would not eat.

barth
12-02-2011, 17:53
My G27 is ravenous and will eat anything.
I did put a G33 barrel/mags in it and had problems with Speer GDHP 155 duty.
Ran through boxes of Federal Tactical Bonded with no troubles.

Switched back to G27 barrel and mags and presto!
Any 40, any manufacturer, and weight,
double tap, rapid fire, 22 round big sticks - yum yum yum.

I agree with whoever said all guns are unique.
Find out what she likes to run and use that.

Mine's a 40 blasting machine and I'm good with that - LOL!
https://www.t-mobilepictures.com/myalbum/photos/photo36/75/e7/023e438368d9__1320531336000.jpg

unit1069
12-03-2011, 11:23
I had 7 Glocks before the boat accident and never found a brand of ammo that they would not eat.

I lost all my firearms in a boating accident too. Last night, as a matter of fact.

MotoGlock
12-04-2011, 00:10
When to the range tonight. Three times I experience failure to feed within 150 rounds. Once this time with FMJ.
Starting to loose faith in Glock. Now this has happened with three different types of rounds. (sigh)

I explained to one of the guys that work and the range and he was surprised. Asked me to show him the gun if it happened again. ehh

I stripped the gun and checked everything. Looked at the feed ramp on the barrel. No bumps or rough spot I can notice. ?

I don't know what else to do if it happens next time.

MotoGlock
12-04-2011, 01:06
P.s. I think I'll try and polish the feed ramp of the barrel.

Tiro Fijo
12-04-2011, 03:01
P.s. I think I'll try and polish the feed ramp of the barrel.

DON'T!!!

You'll null & void any warranty.

1. Have you owned and/or shot a Glock before?
2. Are you a relatively new shooter?
3. Have you let another "seasoned" Glock shooter shoot your gun with the suspect ammo to replicate said problem?

No offense, but I'm thinking it's the Indian & not the arrow here. It looks like a classic case of "limp wristing" which is not uncommon with Glocks and especially with NEW Glock shooters.

MotoGlock
12-04-2011, 11:36
DON'T!!!

You'll null & void any warranty.

1. Have you owned and/or shot a Glock before?
2. Are you a relatively new shooter?
3. Have you let another "seasoned" Glock shooter shoot your gun with the suspect ammo to replicate said problem?

No offense, but I'm thinking it's the Indian & not the arrow here. It looks like a classic case of "limp wristing" which is not uncommon with Glocks and especially with NEW Glock shooters.

I haven't done it yet. Didn't think lightly polishing the barrel feed would void warranty. Thanks for the advise. My "Internet" research , for what it's worth Found that failure to feed or chamber can be caused by the feed ramp not being smooth enough hence the polishing. Seemed to have worked for some. Believe me this is a ****ty feeling. I purchased a glock because of all the great reviews and the constant reports of it's reliability. I am not happy with it right now.

It's not a limp wrist thing.

Aux Bear
12-04-2011, 12:21
I suggest you take it and your ammo to a Glock Armorer. He can check the rounds and the weapon. Your Glock should run anything. I've put several hundred rounds of that ammo through my G22 and G27 without an issue. Have someone qualified check out your weapon. It may also be you. Follow the above suggestions and have another experieinced shooter try out the weapon / ammo combination. If it repeats then the Armorer is your best choice to get the situation corrected. It shouldn't happen. Good Luck.

MotoGlock
12-04-2011, 12:46
I suggest you take it and your ammo to a Glock Armorer. He can check the rounds and the weapon. Your Glock should run anything. I've put several hundred rounds of that ammo through my G22 and G27 without an issue. Have someone qualified check out your weapon. It may also be you. Follow the above suggestions and have another experieinced shooter try out the weapon / ammo combination. If it repeats then the Armorer is your best choice to get the situation corrected. It shouldn't happen. Good Luck.

Thanks for the advise. I've been brainstorming trying to figure if it's something simple so I can avoid sending my gun to glock and being apart from it for several months.
Again the gun was flawless for 300 to 400 rounds until I put in those winch hollow points. Yesterday I even experienced it with the FMJ. I cleaned it yesterday, even the extractor. I marked the mags to see if it occurs with a particular magazine. I'll see what happens during the next shooting session.

This is not fun.

3000fps
12-04-2011, 13:08
My G23 has failed a few times on me as well. I've had better results with the M&P 9mm..

MotoGlock
12-04-2011, 14:07
My G23 has failed a few times on me as well. I've had better results with the M&P 9mm..

Lol, sir this does not inspire confidence in me with glocks. A week and a half ago I was in love with my G23. I was all giddy like a school boy with a new toy. Even planning on my next glock purchase. Now, no.

9mm +p+
12-04-2011, 14:29
It sucks to say the least BUT not all of them are like that, I've owned many Glocks over the years and have carried them on/off the job. I can honestly tell you that I've NEVER had any issue with any of them, they feed any and all ammo that I've put in them and they go BANG every time I pull the trigger and the bullet goes where I aim. All that one can ask from a firearm. Sadly you might just have a dud.

May I ask what gen it is? 3 or 4?

fredj338
12-04-2011, 15:55
GLocks are not the uberreliable gun that everyone thinsk. They are a pice of mechanical equip, they will fail from time to time. All ammo is not created equal, In your guns case, it doesn't like those rounds, so find something else.

Glockbuster
12-04-2011, 16:36
He said it did it also with FMJ. I'm suspecting something amiss here. Are you certain the gun is assembled correctly ?

No offense, but you mentioned you are a new gun owner, not just a new Glock owner. Before you go on, I suggest you get together with a seasoned Glock shooter who knows the guns and it will be of great benefit to you.

MotoGlock
12-04-2011, 16:48
It sucks to say the least BUT not all of them are like that, I've owned many Glocks over the years and have carried them on/off the job. I can honestly tell you that I've NEVER had any issue with any of them, they feed any and all ammo that I've put in them and they go BANG every time I pull the trigger and the bullet goes where I aim. All that one can ask from a firearm. Sadly you might just have a dud.

May I ask what gen it is? 3 or 4?

Gen 3.

MotoGlock
12-04-2011, 16:56
He said it did it also with FMJ. I'm suspecting something amiss here. Are you certain the gun is assembled correctly ?

No offense, but you mentioned you are a new gun owner, not just a new Glock owner. Before you go on, I suggest you get together with a seasoned Glock shooter who knows the guns and it will be of great benefit to you.

Glockbuster, believe me I would love to figure out what is happening.
I am acctually hoping it's something I'm doing wrong. It happened only once with a FMJ.

I'm not a seasoned veteran of shooting but have shot a few thousand rounds before I purchased this gun (rentals and friend's guns)

Everything appears to be assemble correctly. I'll go shooting again and see. If it happens again, I'm calling Glock.

MotoGlock
12-04-2011, 17:58
Please forgive me for the excessive questions, but I was told limpwristing wont cause failure to feed yet here is a vid that says otherwise:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7kZx7g-Xm8

Glockbuster
12-04-2011, 18:13
We're here to help you. But it is kind of hard without actually seeing the gun, hence my suggestion.

OK, is this gun brand new out of the box ? how about the magazines ? are the followers in the mags nice and neat with no sign of tampering ? what about the strength in the springs ? are the magazines clean ? when you have the failure to feed properly are the shots in the mags nicely stacked ? any nose dipping of the cartridges inside the mags ? do you have this failure with all magazines or just one ?

these are all questions to answer then we can go on to others. We'd be glad to help.

MotoGlock
12-04-2011, 19:07
We're here to help you. But it is kind of hard without actually seeing the gun, hence my suggestion.

OK, is this gun brand new out of the box ? how about the magazines ? are the followers in the mags nice and neat with no sign of tampering ? what about the strength in the springs ? are the magazines clean ? when you have the failure to feed properly are the shots in the mags nicely stacked ? any nose dipping of the cartridges inside the mags ? do you have this failure with all magazines or just one ?

these are all questions to answer then we can go on to others. We'd be glad to help.

Thank you. :)

Yes gun was bought new a month ago. As of last night about 550 rounds fired. I am assuming the magazines are new. They better be. The followers look good. No wear I can see. The two mags that came with have the folowers with the number 1 stamped on it. I checked both magazines and didn't feel like the rounds were nosediving. The strength of the springs both feel the same to me.

I marked the magazines so next is for me to test and determine if one is causing the failure or both. I will do this tomorrow and give update.

This glock owner has the same issue and his cause seems to be the mags. Hmmm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PW_0eQ8gn9c&feature=related

MotoGlock
12-04-2011, 19:24
Took a pic of the barrel feed. A litle bit of wear but seems normal.

tjpet
12-04-2011, 19:58
More then likely the feedramp has to be smoothed out a bit. Take a dremel tool with a soft, felt polishing wheel and a dab of Flitz then hit the ramp for a few seconds until it shines. There's a good chance the problem will be gone.

Tiro Fijo
12-04-2011, 23:17
I have owned & shot Glocks since 1986 and NEVER seen one that needed the feed ramp polished. Nary a one.

MotoGlock
05-14-2012, 11:07
UPDATE:

So several months back I returned the gun (the G23C) back to Glock. They paid for the pick to and back. I got the gun back 2 weeks later with the paper written - inspected, meets factory spec. As I inspected the gun I noticed dings on the rear sight, and the rear edge of the slide and the trigger. Honestly if the gun was fixed I wouldn't cared at all even though they could have slapped a new rear sight.
Went to test it. same problems. I was furious.
Called them back and asked for a supervisor. I explained my frustration. I basically said I've had it, take it back - don't want that particular one.
They offered to replace it.

SO they did! They replaced it with a new one. I sent the old one back. They paid for shipping again and I didn't mind paying to DROS the new one again. (people suggested that Glock should have paid for that too, haha)

This weekend I took the new G23 to the range and put over 450 rounds through her.
PERFECT! That's what I'm talking about! I even did one handed shooting, no issues.
Again, there is that one in a million odd chance something happened to the one I returned. I don't know. One thing I did notice with the returned one was that the tip of the bullet hit the feed ramp towards the left slightly and the other glocks don't do that. I don't know. I'm happy Glock took care of it and happy with their service.