300 Blackout - stuck my toes in the water! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 300 Blackout - stuck my toes in the water!

hickok45
12-02-2011, 05:35
Call it "Middle Age Crazy," or in MY case, "Old Age Crazy," but I just like what I've read about this cartridge. I've been talked out of getting an upper in 7.62X39 for my AR many times over the years, due to unreliable magazines, etc. I just like these intermediate rounds and thoroughly enjoy the AK immensely. Always thought it would be fun to shoot the same round in an AR.

Anyway, I just received my Advanced Armament upper last night and am anxious to pop it on my Bushmaster and try out some of these dollar-a-shot rounds this weekend.

I don't keep up with the AR world that much, but I just don't see how this round is not going to be fairly successful over the next few years, which will assist greatly in making less expensive ammo available. If I'm wrong, I'll just get some reloading dies and roll my own - might do it anyway.

First thing I did was load up a magazine with the sixty rounds I do have just to confirm that they fit fine in existing AR magazines. They do, of course. Pretty cool.

I know UMC is supposed to be offering less expensive ammo soon. Has anybody seen any of it available yet anywhere?

Thanks,
Hickok45

IGotIt
12-02-2011, 05:46
Not yet. Supposedly, Remington UMC is currently loading the lower cost ($12.99 msrp) supersonic ammo this week and expected distribution to retailers will be following the 2nd week this month.

I just bought some Gunn ammo from AIM. Prices were $14.95 to $16.95 for 125 gr, 130 gr, (supersonic) and 220 subsonic.

I think this 300 BLK, is going to be the cat's meow when all gets up and running. There will be a lot more manufacturers getting into it.

mjkeat
12-02-2011, 10:01
I'm hoping so. I don't have a lot invested in it but I really like the round. It shoots smooth and is perfect for what I like to do w/ my AR.

M1A Shooter
12-02-2011, 11:02
Gunn ammo is generally getting great reviews.

Fwdftw
12-02-2011, 12:55
Load up some hickock! Blk out dies and make your own brass!

wdphillips
12-02-2011, 13:23
No change to the lower, the 7.62x39 runs in a standard 5.56x45 magazine, and just add the appropriate upper?:wow:

Is this true of just the "Advanced Armament upper" or will any 7.62x39 upper work this way?

I will anxiously await the YouTube post!

IGotIt
12-02-2011, 13:38
No change to the lower, the 7.62x39 runs in a standard 5.56x45 magazine, and just add the appropriate upper?:wow:

Is this true of just the "Advanced Armament upper" or will any 7.62x39 upper work this way?

I will anxiously await the YouTube post!

Not 7.62.39, that's the AK round and the case is too long. It's actually closer to 7.62x35.

Other than having to replace the barrel to 300BLK, everything else on a standard AR will work with the new 300 BLK round. Same upper and lower, same bcg, same mag.

IGotIt
12-02-2011, 13:46
The three on the left are 300 Blk's, then the .223, then a 7.62x39. Notice the length of the cases and the bullets.

boomhower
12-02-2011, 17:05
I like what I am seeing, but I'm going to be waiting until the price of ammo comes down.

shadow65
12-02-2011, 22:28
Cheapest I've found it was $12.95 per 20.
I did a review on a CMMG 9" suppressed upper. I love it. Ran suppressed, unsuppressed with both high velocity and sub sonics.
Very accurate at 50 yards. That was as far as I've shot it so far.
Dave N

Texas357
12-02-2011, 22:29
Wasn't there another .30 caliber cartridge from a blown-out .223, for essentially the same purpose? Was that one just too trade-marked or something?

AK_Stick
12-02-2011, 22:33
I just don't see 300 becoming much more popular than 6.8.

Its a neat round, with potential, but I just don't see a huge market for it.

Cole125
12-02-2011, 22:50
Cool. Look forward to seeing a video about it. :cool: 300 blackout looks like a promising round, if ammo comes down in price to $.50 or less a round I'll buy a upper.

CMMG also sells 300 blackout ammo as well.

hickok45
12-03-2011, 06:59
I think if a person is not that attracted to the 7.62X39 round and never HAS been, then this is not necessarily anything that would get his attention; however, if you enjoy these intermediate rounds in the AK and would like about the same thing in an AR, it's hard to argue with, EXCEPT for the price of ammo right now.

Not much chance of picking up those cases of cheap surplus ammo either, as with the AK round. :-)

Austrian_Glocker
12-03-2011, 07:38
I just don't see 300 becoming much more popular than 6.8.

Its a neat round, with potential, but I just don't see a huge market for it. I do.

Well, maybe not a huge market but it has tremendous support from the industry compared to 6.5 and 6.8.

Donīt forget: with 300BLK, all you need is a new barrel for the AR. Everything else fits. 300BLK is SAAMI spec. Every Ammo producer can make it. In my book, 12$ for factory ammo of what essentially has been a wildcat not so long ago, is outstanding.

One huge Plus in my book is that you can shoot 220gr subsonics, suppressed if you want and can and your AR will still run in Semi Mode. Or Full Auto for that matter, if you own a M16 Reciever.

For me, it is the catīs meow. I feel like itīs getting a lot more support all around then 6.8 or similar ever did, and a lot more people getting into it.

I for one will buy a 300BLK barrel as soon as they are available (and for a reasonable price at that) in my Country. I can still plink with cheap 55gr. 5.56 but can put the 300BLK upper on the same host and launch subsonics from there.

I could even build the barrel myself as iīm a machinist, i have an extra T/C Contender barrel in .30-30 that i no longer use. Iīm afraid the rate of twist will not be ideal for 300BLK though. I donīt know what ROT it has currently.

All in all, i think itīs here to stay :supergrin:

Of course itīs not for everyone and will probably never be, but more so then itīs predecessors.

ETA: Hickock, you gotta put up a video ASAP... pwetty pwease! :-D

Austrian_Glocker
12-03-2011, 08:14
Oh, and letīs not forget:

itīs .308 .... FTMFW!!!

No need to get into new "calibers" as far as reloading goes. You can pretty much choose from an existing line of .308 cal. bullets that are already in production, have been for a long time....

They are cheaper now then anything 6.5 or 6.8 will ever be, with a lot wider range of weights and bullet styles to choose from et cetera.

Iīve read of people whoīd never in their life considered either 6.8 or 6.5. But since they already reload .308, theyīre all over 300BLK.

rjrivero
12-03-2011, 13:26
I have really enjoyed my 300 BLK upper over the last year. I have started loading the round using NOE's #311 Mold (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=126867) putting out 247gr cast lead boolits at a nice subsonic pace.

Really makes shooting this round a LOT cheaper as well.

AK_Stick
12-03-2011, 13:28
I do.

Well, maybe not a huge market but it has tremendous support from the industry compared to 6.5 and 6.8.

Donīt forget: with 300BLK, all you need is a new barrel for the AR. Everything else fits. 300BLK is SAAMI spec. Every Ammo producer can make it. In my book, 12$ for factory ammo of what essentially has been a wildcat not so long ago, is outstanding.

One huge Plus in my book is that you can shoot 220gr subsonics, suppressed if you want and can and your AR will still run in Semi Mode. Or Full Auto for that matter, if you own a M16 Reciever.

For me, it is the catīs meow. I feel like itīs getting a lot more support all around then 6.8 or similar ever did, and a lot more people getting into it.

I for one will buy a 300BLK barrel as soon as they are available (and for a reasonable price at that) in my Country. I can still plink with cheap 55gr. 5.56 but can put the 300BLK upper on the same host and launch subsonics from there.

All in all, i think itīs here to stay :supergrin:

Of course itīs not for everyone and will probably never be, but more so then itīs predecessors.

I disagree on all counts. Its far easier to get 6.5 or 6.8 ammo than 300, there's FAR more industry support for 6.8 currently. With over a dozen companies turning out 6.8 stuff. You can also buy 6.8 firearms in most stores, where as I've yet to see much 300 BLK hit the stores.

If you want to shoot sub sonic, with a supressor, the 300 has some merit. But thats about it, and thats why I don't ever see it achieving more than second rate, like the 6.8 and 6.5's. They'll never go away, but its never going to go all that far either.

Minnow
12-03-2011, 16:09
I just don't see much of a market for it except with suppressor owners. The military will probably will never touch it because it's not 556 or 762. It also doesn't have the legs of the 6.8 or 6.5's to add any type long range capability for hunters of man/critter. It's just another caliber to throw into the already flooded ar market, not that that's a bad thing.

mjkeat
12-03-2011, 16:39
I think it's great for what it was designed for (as I understand it), an easily suppresed, SBR, CQB rifle that is familiar to most of us and won't require a complete overhual on the users loadout/gear.

I purchased one because I wanted a .308 and had everything except a barrel for a 5.56 in the parts box and wanted something to kill hogs.

Randolph da man
12-04-2011, 07:46
I disagree on all counts. Its far easier to get 6.5 or 6.8 ammo than 300, there's FAR more industry support for 6.8 currently. With over a dozen companies turning out 6.8 stuff. You can also buy 6.8 firearms in most stores, where as I've yet to see much 300 BLK hit the stores.

If you want to shoot sub sonic, with a supressor, the 300 has some merit. But thats about it, and thats why I don't ever see it achieving more than second rate, like the 6.8 and 6.5's. They'll never go away, but its never going to go all that far either.

Stick,
I dont think you realize the Blitzkrieg Robert Silvers and The Freedon Group are undertaking. They have totally abandoned the 6.8 in favor of the 300BLK, mostly in their effort to get .mil contracts. If the contracts fall thru, you'll see the 300blk fall off the map.

93GT
12-04-2011, 11:21
I have been kicking around the idea of getting an AR in 300 Whisper for over a decade. The 300 BLK and the head of steam building behind it in a short period of time caused me to go order an upper. Personally I can't wait for this to come out. All I own at the moment is 5.56 and 7.62x51 ARs. I can see myself owning a few of these in varying barrel lengths.

Disregarded9-side
12-04-2011, 13:28
I'll be buying or building an upper in 300BLK. I want it for hunting.
Multiple LGSs around me have had 300BLK uppers and/or rifles; as well as the Remington supersonic 125gr cartridges. The support is there because the demand is there en mass. I think it has the potential to be a major law enforcement cartridge.

The attraction is being able to use EVERYTHING aside from the barrel.

I agree that the round is limited by its lack of velocity and range. I don't have any interest in a suppressor, but if I did, I'd already have an upper in the mail.

AK_Stick
12-04-2011, 14:15
Stick,
I dont think you realize the Blitzkrieg Robert Silvers and The Freedon Group are undertaking. They have totally abandoned the 6.8 in favor of the 300BLK, mostly in their effort to get .mil contracts. If the contracts fall thru, you'll see the 300blk fall off the map.

No, I do. I think the issue here is the lack of ability to get emotion across the internet.

I like the 300, its a very useful, capable cartridge, within its design intent. My point was never to discourage the 300, or talk bad about it.

I'm a fan of the 6.8, the 6.5 and the 300, for what they were designed to do. I just honestly don't see the 300 ever getting more popular than the 6.8. Because at the end of the day, the 300, is in the same category as the 6.8. Its a niche cartridge, with a very niche role.

Unless you're shooting with a suppressor, there really is no draw to the 300, over the other calibers. And NFA, while becoming more popular all the time, is still a very, very little part of the AR market.

In anything aside from a supressor, or a SBR, the 300, has no advantage over the 6.8 or 6.5. And they have advantages over the 300.

But like I said, don't take this to mean I don't like it, or that it doesn't have a job that its not very good at, because I do, and it does. I just think its popularity will peak around the same area the 6.8 did. Both have some limited military trials/deployments. And may or may not (still/are) serve(ing) in some limited SOF capablity :whistling: But unless it somehow becomes a military standardized loading, I just don't see it becoming huge.

mgs
12-04-2011, 17:35
I have a Colt 7.62x39 and it runs great.....the .300 should be great also. Colt used .308 barrels and mines a tack driver. You have to use steel magazines with the 7.62x39 because the larger diameter of the case swells the aluminum mags after 6 rounds...even in a 30. I run USA steel mags, 20 & 30rd, and have never had a problem. They are real banana clips! .30 in the AR just works and I think the .300 will do just fine since it can use factory alum or magpul mags, Mike.

offsidewing
12-04-2011, 21:09
Hickok - the 300BLK is my first venture into the AR platform too. The 556 NATO is good to shoot people and paper and never really got my interest - the 300BLK adds a viable hunting dimension and versatility at ranges up to 300 yards. I've got the press in the work shop pumping out 300BLK ammo like crazy! I'm a 10mm and 300blk guy now - go figure!

rsilvers
12-04-2011, 22:21
I just don't see much of a market for it except with suppressor owners. The military will probably will never touch it because it's not 556 or 762.

That is the opposite of true. The round exists because the military put out several solicitations requesting it.

rsilvers
12-04-2011, 22:25
I'm a fan of the 6.8, the 6.5 and the 300, for what they were designed to do. I just honestly don't see the 300 ever getting more popular than the 6.8. Because at the end of the day, the 300, is in the same category as the 6.8. Its a niche cartridge, with a very niche role.

There are a few things that held 6.8 back.

1. High ammo cost.
2. Required special bolts and magazines.
3. Infighting on chamber standards and twist.

300 BLK has much cheaper ammo than 6.8. Brass is just 10 cents a case for reformed, or 25 cents a case for new/primed:

http://www.allweatherarms.com/1000-Pieces-Processed-300-AAC-Blackout-Brass-1000-Pcs-Processed-300-Blackout.htm

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/2923270375/advanced-armament-co-aac-brass-300-aac-blackout-762x35mm-primed

Also, because it is made from 223, it cannot stop being available. And, even if it did, you would only be out what you could resell your barrel for, as the rest of the rifle is identical. The risk to getting into this is very low.

rsilvers
12-04-2011, 22:28
Stick,

There is absolutely no connection between 6.8 marketing /support and 300 BLK marketing / support. AAC is driving 300 BLK.

I cannot make 300 BLK fall off the map. In one year over 70 companies have joined in:

http://www.300blktalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=128&t=63922

* AAC - uppers, rifles, silencers, and ammunition.
* Adams Arms - rifles and uppers.
* All Weather Arms - brass processing.
* AR-Stoner - barrels.
* Atlanta Arms - ammo.
* Barnes Bullets - ammo, bullets.
* BFG Cartridges - Savage barrels.
* Black Hole Weaponry - barrels.
* Brad's Warehouse - converted brass.
* Bushmaster Firearms - uppers and rifles.
* BWE Firearms - rifles, uppers, and suppressors.
* CMMG - barrels, uppers, and ammo.
* Compass Lake Engineering - AR barrels.
* Cor-Bon - ammo
* Core15 - rifles, uppers.
* Delta Company Arms - rifles, barrels, uppers.
* Dillon Precision - reloading conversion kits.
* Double Tap - ammo.
* DPMS - rifles and uppers.
* DS Arms - rifles and uppers.
* Forster - reloading dies.
* Grim Reaper Tactical - barrels and uppers.
* Gunn - ammo.
* Hornady - ammo, dies, brass.
* Kel-Tec - SU16C.
* Kiss Tactical - lowers.
* Lee - reloading dies.
* L.E. Wilson - case gauges.
* Lewis Machine and Tool - barrels, uppers, rifles.
* Loki Weapon Systems - uppers/rifles.
* Lone Star Armory - 300 AAC BLACKOUT marked lowers.
* Lothar Walther - barrels.
* LWRCI - rifles.
* Match Grade Machine - Thompson barrels.
* McGowen Barrel - Savage and other barrels.
* McCourt Munitions - ammo.
* Model 1 Sales - AR barrels/uppers
* Montana Rifleman - barrels.
* Noveske - rifles and uppers.
* Olympic Arms - rifles and uppers.
* One Shot - ammo.
* Pac-Nor - barrels.
* Pacific Tool and Gauge - reamers and gauges.
* PalmettoStateArmory - uppers.
* PNW Arms - ammo.
* Primary Weapons Systems - rifles and uppers.
* Rainer Arms - barrels.
* Raven Armament Company - ammo and uppers.
* Redding - dies.
* Remington - ammunition.
* Right 2 Bear Ammo - ammunition.
* Robarms - XCR Micro rifle.
* Ron Williams - barrels.
* RUAG - ammo.
* Satern Custom Machining, Inc. - barrels.
* Savage - rifles.
* Selph Arms LLC - barrels, uppers, re-chambering, and rifles.
* SI Defense - barrels.
* Sig Sauer - rifles.
* Smith & Wesson - rifles, uppers.
* Sierra - bullets.
* SilencerCo - silencers.
* Southern Ballistic Research - ammo.
* Southwest Ammunition, LLC - ammo.
* Spike's Tactical - uppers and rifles.
* Summit - ammo.
* Surefire - 300 BLK sound suppressor.
* The Bullet Works - bullets and ammunition.
* Triton Arms - AR barrels.
* Ultra Tech - ammo (Australia)
* Umlaut Industries - 300 BLK caliber marked Rifles, Upper and Lowers. 16" and 10" Factory Title II.
* White Oak Precision - AR barrels.
* Wilson Combat - rifles, hunting and self defense ammunition.

rsilvers
12-04-2011, 22:29

6.8 has how many companies in 9 years vs that list of companies I just posted for 300 BLK in 1 year? The difference is the rate of adoption. 300 BLK will pass 6.8 within two years - maybe one.

rsilvers
12-04-2011, 22:31
Both of these begin loading this week:

Barnes ammo:

http://www.300blktalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=151&t=78043

UMC ammo:

http://www.300blktalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=151&t=78104

Cole125
12-04-2011, 22:41
I think the 300 is really going to take off, mainly because all you need is a new barrel and your 5.56 AR is converted.

Looks like a great deer and pig round too.

gumby223
12-05-2011, 06:36
Disregard, I got down to post #24. :)

gumby223
12-05-2011, 06:39
I think it's great for what it was designed for (as I understand it), an easily suppresed, SBR, CQB rifle that is familiar to most of us and won't require a complete overhual on the users loadout/gear.

I purchased one because I wanted a .308 and had everything except a barrel for a 5.56 in the parts box and wanted something to kill hogs.

This!...exactly!

Jumper
12-05-2011, 06:47
Rsilvers - Thanks for your development work on this caliber! I'll probably have an upper chambered for it eventually as suppressors were just recently authorized here in MI.

IGotIt
12-05-2011, 06:48
Both of these begin loading this week:

Barnes ammo:

http://www.300blktalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=151&t=78043

UMC ammo:

http://www.300blktalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=151&t=78104

Thanks for the update. I have an open spot ready on in my ammo closet.

Minnow
12-05-2011, 15:03
That is the opposite of true. The round exists because the military put out several solicitations requesting it.

That is true, but that has happened many times with what are now very limited use items. The shooting sports industry is full of products that were requested for development by the military, but never went prime time. Time will tell on this one. No disrespect met.

rsilvers
12-05-2011, 15:23
Yes, like 4.6mm MP7 is an example.

cowboy1964
12-05-2011, 19:06
They are cheaper now then anything 6.5 or 6.8 will ever be, with a lot wider range of weights and bullet styles to choose from et cetera.

Just did some quick Google shopping. Looks to me like 6.5, 6.8, and 300 AAC are all roughly in the same ballpark price wise. 6.5 should be getting much cheaper now that Wolf is making it and the Grendel trademark has been given up.

I won't be shooting mass quantities of any of those calibers until the price gets competitive with 5.56. I hope Hornady starts making the TAPs in this caliber. Should be quite a load.

AK_Stick
12-05-2011, 19:11
I don't think we'll see that for quite some time.

rsilvers
12-05-2011, 19:58
I won't be shooting mass quantities of any of those calibers until the price gets competitive with 5.56.

That is just impossible - a 110 grain bullet can never cost the same as a 55 grain bullet. Really, that is like saying "I will buy a V8 when the price gets competitive with a V4." It will never. More costs more. 300 AAC BLK is for people who want more - but yet still want reasonable.

300 BLK is cheaper than any brass-cased US made 7.62x39mm - that says something about how Remington is trying hard for a low price on some loads, like the UMC.

Look up American Eagle 7.62x39mm, for example: http://www.midwesthuntersoutlet.com/item/3077_Federal_Ammunition_FED_AM_EAGLE_762X39_124GR_FMJ_20_500.aspx?&w=pq%2bjdyolrqe%3d

The lowest price anywhere is $15.99. 300 BLK UMC will probably be $10.80 within a few months. That is almost 40% cheaper - and, it is an OTM - not a FMJ. A good value.

But no, there will not be steel-cased corrosive surplus 300 BLK for $3 a box. Though Bill Alexander, who got 6.5 steel cased made, said that he is planning to get 300 BLK steel cased made.

mjkeat
12-05-2011, 21:47
That is just impossible - a 110 grain bullet can never cost the same as a 55 grain bullet. Really, that is like saying "I will buy a V8 when the price gets competitive with a V4." It will never. More costs more. 300 AAC BLK is for people who want more - but yet still want reasonable.

300 BLK is cheaper than any brass-cased US made 7.62x39mm - that says something about how Remington is trying hard for a low price on some loads, like the UMC.

Look up American Eagle 7.62x39mm, for example: http://www.midwesthuntersoutlet.com/item/3077_Federal_Ammunition_FED_AM_EAGLE_762X39_124GR_FMJ_20_500.aspx?&w=pq%2bjdyolrqe%3d

The lowest price anywhere is $15.99. 300 BLK UMC will probably be $10.80 within a few months. That is almost 40% cheaper - and, it is an OTM - not a FMJ. A good value.

But no, there will not be steel-cased corrosive surplus 300 BLK for $3 a box. Though Bill Alexander, who got 6.5 steel cased made, said that he is planning to get 300 BLK steel cased made.

This would be great for the round.I'm really looking forward to this materializing. Cheap FMJ please.

mixflip
12-06-2011, 02:33
Hey Hickock, did you should get the blackout ammo for free since you are giving them such great exposure and reviews.

I need to endorse ammo in my videos!!! I could really use an ammo sponsor lol.

BlackPaladin
12-06-2011, 02:35
My build gets sent out for final assembly on Wednesday. I don't care what the opposition says, I think this round will be far more popular that the other options available that will fit into a 5.56 lower.

rsilvers
12-06-2011, 08:12
Aimpoint Micro with no magnification at 100 yards. 5 shots. 9 inch upper.

http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/9564/img7117urlsmall.jpg

rhino673
12-06-2011, 09:07
VERY interested in this round. I love that it uses the existing mags for 5.56

Austrian_Glocker
12-06-2011, 10:34
Just did some quick Google shopping. Looks to me like 6.5, 6.8, and 300 AAC are all roughly in the same ballpark price wise.

Sorry, my fault. I think i had some older 6.5 and 6.8 prices in mind still, or from vendors that are not competitive.

From what i had in mind, 12.99$ MRSP for a box of 300BLK sounded good.

ri.ben
12-06-2011, 11:56
the mag thing is a big one.a good price on an upper and cheap steel case ammo and it will become more of a why not than a why.

rsilvers
12-06-2011, 15:40
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/547535/remington-umc-ammunition-300-aac-blackout-762x35mm-115-grain-full-metal-jacket-box-of-20

cowboy1964
12-06-2011, 17:15
Sorry, my fault. I think i had some older 6.5 and 6.8 prices in mind still, or from vendors that are not competitive.

From what i had in mind, 12.99$ MRSP for a box of 300BLK sounded good.

$12.99 is better but still hard to swallow when compared to $6-7 for XM193. Sounds like the 300 AAC will be popular though and will continue to decrease in price. 6.5 and 6.8 have been out for longer and the price on that stuff just ain't dropping enough.

rsilvers
12-06-2011, 18:05
XM193 is $10.58 MSRP.

AK_Stick
12-06-2011, 19:18
$12.99 is better but still hard to swallow when compared to $6-7 for XM193. Sounds like the 300 AAC will be popular though and will continue to decrease in price. 6.5 and 6.8 have been out for longer and the price on that stuff just ain't dropping enough.

Maybe a buck or two while it gets introduced, but it will never get too much cheaper.

Camu Mahubah
12-07-2011, 06:07
What's the recoil like? I shot a DPMS .308 and the recoil was punishing in the AR platform...

Fwdftw
12-07-2011, 06:27
What's the recoil like? I shot a DPMS .308 and the recoil was punishing in the AR platform...

My buddys has a very normal 556 recoil , using the aac 51t brake..I just don't like the drop off of the round ..but it wasn't made to shoot long distances

rsilvers
12-07-2011, 09:36
It will be hard for 300 BLK to get below $8 a box for a few reasons:

1. No corrosive surplus, rejected by a 3rd world country for their own needs, will be available.

2. 308 bullets have at least 2x the lead and more than 2x the copper - so they just can't be as cheap as varmint bullets.

45 ACP costs more than 9mm. Same thing.