Sig P220 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Sig P220

Madmax1010
12-02-2011, 07:13
Hey all

Does anyone have info about departments that issue or officers choosing to carry Sig sauer P220's for duty weapons?

Thanks

acpd541
12-02-2011, 09:27
It is our issued duty weapon. It has been our issued service weapon for at least the last 18 years. It is a solid service weapon that holds up well to abuse. The only other service weapon I carried was the Glock 19.

Here's a link to an article from PoliceMag less than a year old regarding the carry and compact versions of the P220 if that helps.
http://www.policemag.com/Channel/Weapons/Articles/2010/12/SIG-Sauer-P220-Compact-Pistols.aspx

razdog76
12-02-2011, 09:39
I have heard that Pickerington PD (Ohio) recently adopted them.

MeefZah
12-02-2011, 10:24
I carried the 220 DAK for a couple of years. Good gun, I liked it quite a bit. What do you want to know?

razdog76
12-02-2011, 11:01
I forgot to add that I my duty pistol is a P220 carry elite. My agency allows personally owned guns. Of those that carry Sigs, about half use the P220.

Madmax1010
12-02-2011, 12:56
I carried the 220 DAK for a couple of years. Good gun, I liked it quite a bit. What do you want to know?

I'm curious because thats my choice for carry. And I take a lot of sh... because it only holds 9 rds.
And the civilian mentality seems to be have a gun with 15 20 rds in the gun.

The sig with 9rd 230 gr 45 works for me.

jwhite75
12-02-2011, 13:03
I worked with a Chief Deputy US Marshal several years ago when they could still carry personal weapons. He was on his second one...he supposedly "wore out" the first one. Sounded like an excuse to the wife to buy another one to me.

They are supremely accurate right out of the box and a great choice for a fighting .45.

That Chief was former Army SF and Marshal's Service SOG (SWAT).

The ones I have handled were sweet and I wouldnt hesitate to carry one on duty.

jdh31313
12-02-2011, 13:08
Newton County, S.O. (Georgia) had them up until last year when they discontinued use of the Sig P-220 and went with something higher capacity.

msu_grad_121
12-02-2011, 13:21
My first agency went from te P226 in 9mm to the 220 in .45. The guys that switched said they loved it, even with like, half the rounds. I of course bucked the trend and went with a Para 7.45 LDA, which made a few guys drool, so while they shot mine, I shot theirs. Nice guns, as all Sigs are, but for my tastes, the grip felt just a touch too big. Hard to miss with that thing, though!

Madmax1010
12-02-2011, 13:49
It is our issued duty weapon. It has been our issued service weapon for at least the last 18 years. It is a solid service weapon that holds up well to abuse. The only other service weapon I carried was the Glock 19.

Here's a link to an article from PoliceMag less than a year old regarding the carry and compact versions of the P220 if that helps.
http://www.policemag.com/Channel/Weapons/Articles/2010/12/SIG-Sauer-P220-Compact-Pistols.aspx

Good article. thanks

blueiron
12-02-2011, 13:55
Arizona DPS and Arizona Game and Fish carried them for years. It was also an optional weapon with the Maricopa County Sheriff's Office.

I had one through much of the 1990s and have regretted selling it.

The originals were great pistols, though I do not care for American made SiGs and their rather strange affectation for beavertails, tricked out options, and the spotty QC of recent manufacture.

MeefZah
12-02-2011, 14:05
I'm curious because thats my choice for carry. And I take a lot of sh... because it only holds 9 rds.
And the civilian mentality seems to be have a gun with 15 20 rds in the gun.

The sig with 9rd 230 gr 45 works for me.

Well, I had no concerns with capacity. I don't think any person who is a proficient shooter would sneer at a guy carrying a 8 round .45; thus those who do must be incompetents.

I carried it with the normal 2 spare mags on my belt, one spare mag in a Galco Ankle glove, and 5 spare mags in my "go bag". I also had a Hogue non-finger groove grip for it; I really never liked the slick feeling factory stocks.

It was accurate, reliable, comfortable to shoot. The only reasons I got rid of it were to carry a smaller, lighter gun (Glock 19); which shot a less expensive round, so I could practice more.

If I were to go to another 220, I'd get the standard version (non-DAK). The double action only was actually pretty light, but I prefer a exposed hammer on a gun like that. The DAK also took a slightly different duty holster which was not available at most retailers, since the DAK was an uncommon variant.

collim1
12-02-2011, 18:59
We are issued P226's but I have a personally owned P220R with a weaponlight attached. If I went to an agency that I could provide my own duty gun the P220 would be my choice.

I shoot the 220 much better than the .40 P226.

The capacity doesn't bother me, but I am also a big fan of revolvers, and there is very little revolver love these days, except for the pocket guns. Alot of the guys I work with give me crap about the capacity and brag about their PX4's and XDM's that tote 20 rounds of 9mm.

Capacity is one factor of about a dozen when picking a gun for SD. I think the 220 is a great duty gun.

Steve in PA
12-02-2011, 20:01
I own and carry two P220's, one for duty and one is my range gun. I've been carrying them for several years now and I never once felt "under gunned" because of magazine capacity.

Bodyarmorguy
12-02-2011, 20:24
I had never been a big Sig fan, had a P228 and a couple of 225's ver the years. I always complained of the loooonnnnng reset between each single action shot. Enter the Short Reset Trigger (SRT). I tried a friends P220 Carry with the SRT and really liked it. I took delivery on my own 220 Carry with SRT this afternoon. Hopefully I will get some range time with it this weekend.

Madmax1010
12-02-2011, 20:26
Thanks for all the replies I was beginning to think I was only that carried a gun
with 8 rd mags these days.
If I don't depend a sig p220 then I carry 1911 I get old fashion for that and I love it.

AngryBassets
12-02-2011, 20:33
Gloucester and Camden County Sheriff Departments in NJ.

(I think Camden Co. still carries them, anyway)

car541
12-02-2011, 23:39
Louisiana State Police issued P-220's for years.

New Hampshire SP issued the P220ST and got rid of them for M&P45's.

The old folded carbon steel slide P-220's were basically flawless, it was virtually impossible to get one to malfunction. The later stainless slide pistols with the internal extractors were more troblesome as the extractors seemed to fall out of adjstment very quickly. The newest ones have an external extractor like a P-226-40. I have not actually shot one of those, but I have heard good anecdotal reports on their performance

razdog76
12-03-2011, 00:16
I have read several times that the majority of police engagements are decided in six or less rounds. If capacity seems like an issue, there are several companies that make quad magazine holders.

The P220 for me is both mechanically accurate, and very easy to shoot. I started 15 years ago with a S&W 4506, and carried a Glock 22 for ten years too, so every once in a while I think about capacity, but not enough to change back.

golls17
12-03-2011, 00:26
My former department carried them. Very nice guns. I didn't care for the low round count, but I shot it really well. I'd rather have a gun with 9 rounds that I can shoot accurately than a gun with 15+ rounds that I can't...

SCSU74
12-03-2011, 13:45
Hey all

Does anyone have info about departments that issue or officers choosing to carry Sig sauer P220's for duty weapons?

Thanks

its on our approved duty gun list, but most opt for the Glock 21 instead... Just got the extension for mine allows me to carry 10 more rounds than the P220. Up to 17+1 now.

kayl
12-03-2011, 14:26
My former dept. also carried them. I love the 220, only issue is capacity. If I'd have had my way, I'd have carried 3 or 4 extra mags instead of just 2 :)

maddog3241
12-03-2011, 16:05
Edit: Sorry wrong thread.

scottydl
12-03-2011, 16:18
I carried a P220 (single-double action, hammer style) as my duty weapon at my first agency. On the range when shooting plates (the metal ones that fall down and pop back up) I always loved when my .45 would knock them out on the first shot, and others' 9mm and .40 rounds would be bouncing off the plate and it would just sit there. Think of that as a car windshield or other item you might be trying to shoot through to get to a BG.

I loved the P220 and still own it, with it being transferred to my home defense gun now. Current agency issues P229's so I'm still in the ballpark. Hate to say it (since this is Glocktalk after all), but both Sig's are much smoother shooting than any Glock I've ever tried. My personal carry is a G27 so I certainly don't dislike them. But I do like Sig's an awful lot.

gunsgunsgunsgun
12-04-2011, 01:21
I went from carrying a glock as a citizen for a few years to a sig as an LEO. I really liked the glock and shot it well.

At first I could not shoot my 226 (9mm) very well; off to the left alot. After a few hundred or thousand rounds the gun became very accurate and the trigger improved. I have now sinced switched from the 226 to the 220R3 (carry model with SRT). The 220 is just as easy to shoot as my 226 and the preceived recoil is the same (for me).

I really like my 220 alot and I am suprisingly accurate with it. It is reliable and I would trust my life with it(actually do every day). The only negitave is the recoil spring. I have less than 2000 round through the 220 carry and am on my second recoil spring. Sig told me the first spring was a defective and mailed me new one free. But then again I had the department replace the recoil spring on my 226 around 5000 rounds. Though five thousand is the life expectance.

With all thing said though the 220 is a great gun for all purposes. I have shot more than a few of them with the same result; accurate and reliable.

BTW the more you shot a sig the better the trigger and action feel.

CJStudent
12-04-2011, 11:29
I had a conversation with an NPS LE Park Ranger at Mammoth Cave back in September; it looked like that was what he carried.