G21 instead of G20 ? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : G21 instead of G20 ?

ALBin517
12-02-2011, 11:16
Iíve been saving for a G20SF. I figure I would then need to buy an aftermarket barrel to shoot deer loads.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p> </o:p>
But now Iím starting to wonder Ė why not buy a G21SF with a 45-to-10 conversion barrel?
<o:p> </o:p>
I donít presently own a 45ACP.
And the cost would be the same.
Am I missing something?

coachg
12-02-2011, 11:42
I had a G21 SF and wanted to shoot some 10mm. I bought the conversion barrel from KKM and it's worked out well. I had some problems with mangled brass after using a 22# recoil spring but with the standard everything is fine.

I guess the only down side is that I don't think you can run a 40 or 357 Sig conversion out of the G21.

ALBin517
12-02-2011, 11:55
Thanks

I thought about the 10mm conversions but I already have a G23.

B.Reid
12-02-2011, 11:57
You don't need an aftermarket barrel to shoot deer loads. I have shot some heavy loads in my G20 and have killed 2 mule deer with it. The after market barrels are needed if you are going to shoot lead bullets but, you don't want to push lead bullets that fast anyway.

awdxtc
12-02-2011, 12:02
My question is why would you want to shoot 45 acp when you can shoot 10mm? With the G20 you have many more choices of calibers you can shoot.

CanyonMan
12-02-2011, 12:09
You don't need an aftermarket barrel to shoot deer loads. I have shot some heavy loads in my G20 and have killed 2 mule deer with it. The after market barrels are needed if you are going to shoot lead bullets but, you don't want to push lead bullets that fast anyway.

Got to diagree with your not shooting LEAD bullets through the stock barrels on the Glock. If it were not for me 'hand loading' my own, and 'shooting lead' through these suckers, I'd really be broke by now. Man I have put a ton of lead through stock Glock barrels. Not only has there been NO issues, but at 100yds the G20 with a Bear Tooth 200gr Cast Lead bullet at 1250 & 1300 fps is a very accurate deer load.

It is a really myth about the NO LEAD in the stock barrels. My friend, and owner of Hunter Supply Bullets sent me 2, 500 rounds of Cast Lead, 500 each in 5 different calibers of a new design of his to test out. These will eventually be added to the number of all the other lead over a long span of years going through my Glock barrels... I don't even have any major fouling problems either. Due in part to the particular type of alloy and BHN of the lead used..

No bad situations here Pard.

EDIT NOTE

OP, BTW, I would just go with the G20 if your going to hunt up to deer size game with it amigo, but the choice is yours. ;)

CM

alwaysshootin
12-02-2011, 12:19
Am I missing something?

If you go the conversion route, the one thing you are missing, is having around $200 invested in just a conversion barrel, one magazine, and shipping charges. With any of the manufactured 10MM ammo, it will sufficiently do, what a .45 ACP will, for carry, or, home protection. My biggest concern, with the KKM barrel conversion, is not that it's rampant, by any means, but, have heard of some, having problems, and not being 100% reliable.

It seems quite a few, who go the conversion route, go with the complete upper/slide change out to complete the transformation from 45 to 10MM. It is pricier, but most feel it's the way to go. Especially, if one goes with the longer barrel/slide, assisting in maximizing the 10's potential velocity wise, with the longer barrel. Not to mention the added sighting plain with the longer slide. If this is a consideration, send me a PM, I know where that setup can be had for a reduce price.

leeward419
12-02-2011, 17:31
I just got a g20 and still want a 21

B.Reid
12-02-2011, 17:36
Got to diagree with your not shooting LEAD bullets through the stock barrels on the Glock. If it were not for me 'hand loading' my own, and 'shooting lead' through these suckers, I'd really be broke by now. Man I have put a ton of lead through stock Glock barrels. Not only has there been NO issues, but at 100yds the G20 with a Bear Tooth 200gr Cast Lead bullet at 1250 & 1300 fps is a very accurate deer load.

It is a really myth about the NO LEAD in the stock barrels. My friend, and owner of Hunter Supply Bullets sent me 2, 500 rounds of Cast Lead, 500 each in 5 different calibers of a new design of his to test out. These will eventually be added to the number of all the other lead over a long span of years going through my Glock barrels... I don't even have any major fouling problems either. Due in part to the particular type of alloy and BHN of the lead used..

No bad situations here Pard.

EDIT NOTE

OP, BTW, I would just go with the G20 if your going to hunt up to deer size game with it amigo, but the choice is yours. ;)

CM

That is true, hardcast bullets usually will not lead a barrel. So there really is no need for an aftermarket barrel.

CanyonMan
12-02-2011, 17:41
that is true, hardcast bullets usually will not lead a barrel. So there really is no need for an aftermarket barrel.

Yep. ;)

AM's are great for saving brass for reloading though... 'Sometimes'.

Stay safe !

CM

cm

21Carrier
12-02-2011, 22:03
Here is why I have beef with converting a G21 to 10mm. It's all about slide mass. The G21 slide's walls are about HALF as thick as a G20's. That means the G20 slide is much stronger, and, more importantly, heavier. That GREATLY helps to reduce recoil and reliability. Also, it will keep you from having to use excessively heavy springs to control the slide speed. There's also the chance of poor reliability. Supposedly, LWD quit making that barrel due to poor reliability. I've now heard of two people that have it with good reliability, but who knows. I would rather have a gun that works 100%.

About the aftermarket barrel, it is NOT necessary to shoot hot loads. I have 10,600 rounds through my G29's STOCK barrel. About 10,000 were reloaded by me, about 8,000+ of them were within .5gr of book max or higher (some over max), and I've reloaded some of that brass 16 times. Until I got my LWD 6" barrel for my G20LS project, I had Glocksmiled only TWELVE pieces of brass in over 9,000 rounds! Honestly, I PREFER the Glock barrels. In fact, I'm about to send my LWD barrel back and swap it for a Glock barrel (still haven't done it). I was not impressed with the support in it, and I would MUCH rather be able to see and measure my brass expansion. With aftermarket barrels, the chambers are too tight to allow any expansion. That means my primary method of safely working up a load (brass expansion measurement) is gone. Glock barrels are also 10x easier to clean, and supposedly yield more velocity.

Maybe I just got a bad barrel, and it left a bad taste in my mouth, but I can't imagine ANY benefit of an aftermarket barrel being worth the loss in brass measurement. As a reloader, and one that likes to push it, measuring brass expansion is EVERYTHING to my safety and maximizing performance.

Finally, what's a G21 going to do for you that a G20 won't? Do you already have a bunch of .45ACPs or something? If not, why the desire for it? I'd get a G20 and buy a .40S&W barrel. By the way, I bet you will be shocked at how smooth the .40S&W goes through the G20. I bet it will be MUCH better than your G23.

Reboot
12-03-2011, 00:15
I started off doing the conversion barrel route. I shot mine with little issues and I liked it so much I sold the conversion barrel and bought a G20SF. Now I don't have much desire to shoot my G21SF. I won't get rid of it but I see myself spending more time with the 10mm.

arushus
12-03-2011, 03:49
Here is why I have beef with converting a G21 to 10mm. It's all about slide mass. The G21 slide's walls are about HALF as thick as a G20's. That means the G20 slide is much stronger, and, more importantly, heavier. That GREATLY helps to reduce recoil and reliability. Also, it will keep you from having to use excessively heavy springs to control the slide speed. There's also the chance of poor reliability. Supposedly, LWD quit making that barrel due to poor reliability. I've now heard of two people that have it with good reliability, but who knows. I would rather have a gun that works 100%.

About the aftermarket barrel, it is NOT necessary to shoot hot loads. I have 10,600 rounds through my G29's STOCK barrel. About 10,000 were reloaded by me, about 8,000+ of them were within .5gr of book max or higher (some over max), and I've reloaded some of that brass 16 times. Until I got my LWD 6" barrel for my G20LS project, I had Glocksmiled only TWELVE pieces of brass in over 9,000 rounds! Honestly, I PREFER the Glock barrels. In fact, I'm about to send my LWD barrel back and swap it for a Glock barrel (still haven't done it). I was not impressed with the support in it, and I would MUCH rather be able to see and measure my brass expansion. With aftermarket barrels, the chambers are too tight to allow any expansion. That means my primary method of safely working up a load (brass expansion measurement) is gone. Glock barrels are also 10x easier to clean, and supposedly yield more velocity.

Maybe I just got a bad barrel, and it left a bad taste in my mouth, but I can't imagine ANY benefit of an aftermarket barrel being worth the loss in brass measurement. As a reloader, and one that likes to push it, measuring brass expansion is EVERYTHING to my safety and maximizing performance.

Finally, what's a G21 going to do for you that a G20 won't? Do you already have a bunch of .45ACPs or something? If not, why the desire for it? I'd get a G20 and buy a .40S&W barrel. By the way, I bet you will be shocked at how smooth the .40S&W goes through the G20. I bet it will be MUCH better than your G23.

I couldnt agree more with carrier, there is nothing the .45 will do thatthe 10mm wont do better! And if you are worried about ammo availability and cost, get a .40sw conversion barrel. I did, and it has been absolutely perfect in my g20sf!!! It handles the .40 round very well! It helps tame it quite a bit also, from what Ive heard it can be "snappy"...im not convinced that it is all that bad, but ive only shot it through my conversion barrel in my 20...A lot of times, if im just going plinking, ill buy the cheapest ammo walmart has, tulammo, and it has always run perfect, it has always either been tulammo or wwb, and ive never had one single failure...
I really encourage you to get the 20sf, you wont regret it, I promise, this gun is up there with Glock's best IMO, with the 29sf, 26, and 19....

21Carrier
12-03-2011, 07:47
Another thing to add to my previous post is that I have a G21SF. It was my first handgun. I LOVED that gun, until I bought my G29. Once I tasted 10mm, the G21SF just got shot less and less. Now, I barely even reload or shoot .45ACP anymore. I haven't shot it in a few range trips. It's just pretty boring. I like being able to shoot .45ACP, and I think that attracts many 10mm potential buyers, but the reality is that once you shoot 10mm, that goes away.