Me and my G-19s [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Me and my G-19s

starfleet
12-02-2011, 12:36
I made an interesting observation today about my G-19s and how I shoot them. I have 2, a gen 2 model I've had since 1989, and a gen 3 I picked up a couple years ago. Both have 5 lb. connectors, tritium sights and Wolff recoil springs with stainless steel guide rods.

I can shoot both of these weapons pretty well in that my groups are pretty tight. However, when slow firing, I tend to shoot both guns to left of center, using a 2 handed grip, thumbs forward. Even off a soft rest, the groups are slightly left.

The interesting part is that as I increase my rate of fire to about 2 rounds per sec, which is about as fast as I can reacquire the front site and fire again, my groups are not substantially larger, but they are more centered, and perhaps just a hair to the right. So, effectively, I can shoot these guns fast more accurately than I can slowly.

I've read other people ask "is it me, or the gun"? That's not the pertinent question here. It's me. There is nothing wrong with these guns. Would anyone care to speculate what I'm doing differently. I cannot point to anything specific, so whatever the difference, it must be pretty subtle. Any instructers out there care to take a crack at this?

Oh, and it may be relevent or not, but often the web of my strong hand will get scraped by the underside of the slide during recoil in my normal, comfortable grip.

Thanks for your feedback.

madAB
12-02-2011, 12:45
What part of your trigger finger are you using? Just the end pad? an easy thing to try first is to move more of your finger into the trigger when pulling the trigger (closer to the first nuckle). Sometimes when you use just the tip of your finger you can kind of push the gun left as your pull the trigger. This is assuming that you are right handed.

Sometime I find the harder i try to aim, the worse I am. (mind f-ing myself)

starfleet
12-02-2011, 12:54
I hear that. Yes, the finger pad. I've tried to move more of my finger on the trigger, but to do so, I find I'm rotating my entire hand around the grip. Feels unnatural.

jwhite75
12-02-2011, 12:59
You are definitely "milking" the trigger IMO. I did it for awhile. The fact that I am cross dominant from my shooitng hand to my dominant eye only made it worse.

I qualified with one of the local depts recently and they have soem EXCELLENT shooters. I held my own and even beat some of the better shooters. They were stunned I was using my left eye to shoot my gun right handed.

You just need to work on what part of you finger is on the trigger and work until you find whats right for you and commit it to muscle memory.

starfleet
12-02-2011, 13:14
Can you please describe "milking"?

jwhite75
12-02-2011, 13:29
Can you please describe "milking"?

I know I wont say this exactly right basically when you are slow firing you are "over thinking" the trigger. I gave a link to an article that I think explains it pretty well.

http://www.personaldefensenetwork.com/articles/handguns/dealing-with-the-double-action-trigger/

IT0
12-02-2011, 14:32
I have the exact same issue with my G19 and my trainer swears it is trigger control...

G19, LW SS guide, and 3.5# Connector.

Lord
12-02-2011, 16:17
I have the same issue with my G19 and it's how I manipulate the trigger. We have a chart on the wall that tells where the bullet strikes relevant to how one pulls the trigger. Following that guide helps.

starfleet
12-02-2011, 17:10
I have no doubt it's trigger control. There is nothing wrong with my guns Interesting. So milking is essentially gripping the trigger with the trigger finger to maintain control. And in rapid fire, it is less likely to happen, which is why my groups are more centered. Seems to make sense. I'll have to pay more attention until the muscle memory is there.

Thanks!