Looking of Cold Weather Undershirt Recommednations [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Looking of Cold Weather Undershirt Recommednations

bigzebra
12-02-2011, 19:11
As the title says I'm looking winterish long-sleeved undershirts.

I've never had Under Armour Coldgear stuff, but I'd imagine that's what I'm looking for.

Currently I have some cheap UA knock-off from target which I really like. The problem is that the bottom (waist) part is not long enough. They won't stay tucked in and it really frustrates me.

The other part is I am an avid cyclist and I've been recently running more. I would also like to use these products as a base layer for these activities. Again these shirts would work, but they're much too short and won't stay down.

What say you CT? I like the specs of UA on paper, but they seem rather expensive at ~$50 apiece.

Thanks!

Breadman03
12-02-2011, 21:23
You already know the answer. UA is the best I've found.

WilyCoyote
12-02-2011, 22:27
Long sleeve cotton turtleneck...UA will make you sweat and feel swampy, even in cold weather.

bigzebra
12-02-2011, 22:40
Long sleeve cotton turtleneck...UA will make you sweat and feel swampy, even in cold weather.

I should have mentioned- I have eczema on my back. If I wear ANYTHING cotton under a vest I get it. BAD. I HAVE to wear a synthetic (I haven't tried smart wool) garmet under the ol' vest.

I also now wear synthetic as an undershirt almost all of the time even off duty. I also don't wear cotton socks anymore either.

OXCOPS
12-02-2011, 23:13
I like my cold gear from UA.

CanIhaveGasCash
12-03-2011, 06:30
I work in a pretty cold environment, lows in the single digits tonight. I like the Under Armour stuff, but it seems to run pretty small. For serious cold weather I break out my north face fleece lined stuff, but it's not cheap. The under armour 3.0 stuff is pretty warm.

Agent6-3/8
12-03-2011, 07:16
UA Cold Gear for me. Cotton is horrible under a vest, IMO. Bunches up, holds sweat, and freezes you to death. YMMV, but I'm a big UA fan.

lawman800
12-03-2011, 16:51
I have underamour ColdGear and it works pretty well but I would say it's not the warmest out there because I have worn it in temperate/warm weather and it doesn't overheat me like true long johns would... or maybe that is a testament to how well it breathes... but for light cold weather like in SoCal when it goes to like the 40s, it would work fine.

COLOSHOOTR
12-03-2011, 18:06
It's 20 deg. here right now and I'm still rocking short sleeves (Under light jacket) but when it gets colder I'll wear the UA Cold gear stuff. Not the warmest stuff ever but it's decent. If you're really getting cold go to an outdoor shop like REI and look at some of the base layers they have for winter Hiking/Mountaineering. Just FYI that stuff isn't cheap but you'll be nice and warm in the coldest of weather.

bigzebra
12-03-2011, 21:53
Thanks all for your replies.

Any ideas on where the most reasonable place to get UA stuff is?

socalchuckster
12-04-2011, 14:50
Thanks all for your replies.

Any ideas on where the most reasonable place to get UA stuff is?

I know LAPolicegear just had a sale on their UA coldgear stuff, $10 off if I remember. Sucks for me as I had just bought some from them last month. They seem to always have good prices on stuff like that and usually always have deals on free shipping or other free stuff.

Dinky
12-04-2011, 15:59
I like my cold gear from UA.

Only because it keeps you warm, while Patricia shovels the drive :wavey:

OXCOPS
12-04-2011, 18:20
Only because it keeps you warm, while Patricia shovels the drive :wavey:

I know how to delegate. I'm ready to be a chief.

Newcop761
12-04-2011, 19:57
Have you looked at any of the deals on ProMotive.com ?

Under Armour isn't listed but there are other options:

Minus 33
Redram MSRP = $57 LE price $29
I/O Merino = expensive

Hollywood D
12-06-2011, 17:23

I don't care for the regular UA either. It does the same thing to me. I have to get the 'fitted' ones or 'metal'. Something about the material on them is different and my back doesn't sweat like a pig. I hate the regular ones.

PuroMexicano
12-06-2011, 17:44
I like the Target UA knockoffs you talk about, I don't have the untucking problem you say.

Ethereal Killer
12-06-2011, 19:26
Smartwool is my new hands down favorite for cold weather undergarments. the mid weight will serve well and not get too hot or wear too quickly.

I dont have any experience with it under body armor, but I do remember wearing polypro under body armor and it was too much.

bonus is you dont get the polypro funk.

for the record I do wear and love the polypro,underarmor synthetics and love them, but they dont breathe as well as the smartwool.

you get what you pay for here.

lawman800
12-07-2011, 01:37
I used to wear long johns or polypro or that silk under garment stuff... but they all were more bulky and tended to bind on the uniform material. Nothing beats UA and similar items for being nicer to move around in without binding on the armor and uniform pants, especially.