Red Dot advice for shotgun [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Red Dot advice for shotgun

Mr.Reignman
12-02-2011, 21:53
Okay check it out...... I just purchased an NC Star 1x42mm red dot...... Three, THREE rounds into sighting it, it **** the bed....

any advice for a "budget" red dot sight? Perhaps a reflex style?

Victoriagotagun
12-02-2011, 22:37
The Primary Arm's red dots are very good but don't know how well they would do on a shotgun.

cyphertext
12-02-2011, 22:42
Cabela's had the Bushnell TRS-25 on sale for $69 in the store a couple of weeks ago and there is a $30 rebate available. (Rebate does not list this model, but people on forums have claimed that it was accepted.)

officerjohnson
12-02-2011, 22:46
My advice is not to use one on a shotgun.

Aceman
12-03-2011, 06:28
Budget red dot on sg is a bad idea.

I'm a huge fan of "take a chance and see how it goes" but you need to be ready to eat the cost.

I'm thinking I'd go Truglo with their ....can't think of the name? But it has 4 reticules, one of which is a circle dot (which RULES for sg!!!!). It's about 100 dollars.

Or Eotech...

MarkCO
12-03-2011, 07:57
SpeedBead from Burris!

ScrappyDoo
12-03-2011, 15:02
Absolutely love a red dot on a shotgun but realize it is the biggest baddest boom you'll probably be making in your hands ever. Not much has the punch and power of a 12 gauge especially factored into the little sight on the top.

So you gotta use some sense and some money wisely. I have a M930Spx with premium expensive brand name Ghost Ring Sights and has no real need of a red dot. I happen t have my second brand new Aimpoint Micro R-1 sitting there Witout a mount for my AR - and the M930 happened to have the factory rail and I said , what the he'll? Waste not want not even if its just for a bit. Once installed it was like pulling the sword from the stone - I got that weapon in my Hand, pointed it and the light started shining. Absoluely AMAZING to shoot - picking up targets blasting away super accuacte super quick. I mean it raises your ability and skill just so fast !

But the Aimpoint is the best if not one of the say top 3 brands if red dot sights - it can handle the recoil. I have had two NcStar sights and both broke within 6 months. One on a 7.62 Ak and fhe other on a damn 22 so - I have lo opinion on NcStar and realize fhe shotgun will brake anytrjing not ready for the recoil and is the least forgiving weapon

Even if you get you one of those little $50 holosivht red dots for Airsoft - do you really wanna waste it ? Yu don't have to drop $600 on an Aimpoint / EoTech / Trijicon but you should do a little research and spend as much money AS YOU CAN COMFORTABLY to keep your future expenses out of the equation.

MrMurphy
12-03-2011, 16:09
There are Aimpoints, which work.

Burris makes the Speedbead specifically for shotguns, it also works, though it's not as tough for dings and smacks.

Not much else really does work right.

Bello
12-03-2011, 16:35
if you need a red dot on a defensive shotgun you got problems! :upeyes:

MarkCO
12-03-2011, 17:08
The nice thing about the SpeedBead, and it is the only one with the benefit, you can still see the rib/bead/factory sight with it mounted. A lot of 3 gunners use them, and if you have seen how their shotguns get abused, i think you will not be worried much about durability.

WoodenPlank
12-03-2011, 20:50
Okay check it out...... I just purchased an NC Star 1x42mm red dot...... Three, THREE rounds into sighting it, it **** the bed....

any advice for a "budget" red dot sight? Perhaps a reflex style?

NC Star makes airsoft garbage. I;m surprised it took 3 shots for it to go bad.

My advice is not to use one on a shotgun.

This would be my suggestion. Stick to a bead sight, and learn to run the gun. While a RDS can be useful in some situations, it's not needed on a shotgun, and can be awkward to use, depending on stock, mount, and optic configuration.

Edit to add: Either way, there's nothing for a "budget" red dot that I have worked with that I would feel comfortable using on a shotgun.

plouffedaddy
12-03-2011, 20:55
You said budget red dot. So, I'm assuming under 100... Here's my 870 with a truglo. It holds zero with no issues. Looks a little funny but functions 100%.
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l178/tiffani33/Guns/IMAG0583.jpg

muscogee
12-03-2011, 21:50
IIRC, the Aimpoint was originally designed for a shotgun.

RWROD
12-04-2011, 00:39
I have had good luck with the ITAC red dot. It's kind of an Aimpoint clone made in Israiel. It has the same mounting pattern as the H1's. I've used it on a couple of 870's for work and it rides on my duty shotgun now. There usally under $200. Also the SIG red dot is the same thing with a differant name on the side. Of course battery life is alot shorter than an Aimpoint. It's rated for 2000 hours on a low setting.

ScrappyDoo
12-04-2011, 04:20
See i Hate to call a dooshbag a dooshbag but why do people insist on trying to look cool and experienced by knocking something someone else wants likes etc ? Really dude do you think you're cool? The man asked a valid question , people who actually know what they're talking about and have solid experiece answer. And some people add useless insults.

For the record - just cause u scraped some dough together to buy the most expensive shotgun around doesn't make you cool. We get it dude you got a Benelli M4 after you pestered me to help you get a M930SPX. now you're knocking peoples choice in sights ? Wow. You are a real classu winner.

-gunut-
12-04-2011, 11:10
A beed is a good option for a shotgun but a red dot does have advantages. Both eyes open, better field of view, and it's far superior in low-light/night situations. Why not? Anyone? Any real valid reason?

Aceman
12-04-2011, 16:32
Indoors - if it's in the tube/window, it's getting hit.

Still, as you take it out a ways, the 6.5 MOA is a great indicator for pattern if you have a rough range idea.

And the dot is EXCELLENT for work with slugs.

muscogee
12-04-2011, 17:25
A beed is a good option for a shotgun but a red dot does have advantages. Both eyes open, better field of view, and it's far superior in low-light/night situations. Why not? Anyone? Any real valid reason?

What range do you sight it in and do you use slugs, buckshot, or something else?

Louisville Glocker
12-04-2011, 20:28
I've got an Eotech on my Saiga 12, and it works great. Very accurate with slugs,

I know you're "spraying" with shot, but it doesn't hurt to have it centered on whatever you're aiming for! And with an Eotech, you can acquire your target very rapidly. Great for the ranges where your shotgun is effective.

MarkCO
12-04-2011, 21:36
What range do you sight it in and do you use slugs, buckshot, or something else?

Typically, 50 yards with slugs. Then confirm the pattern is centered at 10 and 25 yards with shot and buck. Depending on what your uilization is, you might choose to adjust slightly from the 50 yards slug zero.

plouffedaddy, I think you need a spare TruGlo (meaning I have one in my "no longer needed" bucket)...

PlasticGuy
12-04-2011, 22:32
On a range toy, buy whatever you want.

For a fighting shotgun, my choice is Aimpoint. I have a T-1 on my Benelli M4. Anybody who says a red dot doesn't have a place on a shotgun has not tried this set up. It's a game changer.

Bullman
12-05-2011, 13:56
A long time ago I had something called an Occluded Eye Gunsite (sorry if I didn't spell it right). Armson still makes one I think, their website is still up anyway. I have always thought it might be the perfect sight for a shotgun, but I could be wrong and probably am. When Trijicon had dealings with them they could be had with Tritium too, don't know if you can get that anymore.

MrMurphy
12-05-2011, 15:35
The Armson OEG was one of the first 'red dots', except you didn't look through it, but at it.

You can still the this with an Aimpoint turned up bright with the front cover on. Kind of old school now, but in some situations (jumping out of a warm vehicle into a cold night and having the lens fog, which has happened to me on a response a few times) it can still work.

WoodenPlank
12-05-2011, 17:42
Kinda interesting that Aimpoint has somewhat brought the concept back with the PRO. The window in the rear flip-up cover lets you use it as a OEG if you are in a fat hurry.

mingaa
12-07-2011, 18:11
1X red dot help - I'm having good luck with a Vortex SPARC Red Dot Sight SPRC that was on sale for about $200 at Optics Planet. It's on my SKS (against conventional wisdom, I know but I'm making it work and smiling a lot) - I dropped $$ on some lower priced units - 1X red dots and they had one severe weakness or another - mostly they performed poorly in bright light. Does anyone have recommendations for 1X red /green dot sights that they like ( a lot!) below the $200 mark. The next project is a Mossberg 930 12 g. I start next week.

Bullman
12-07-2011, 19:26
Well, the nice thing about the armson OEG is that the brighter it is, the brighter the dot is, it is powered by sunlight or any light for that matter. Darkness may be a bit of a problem though without tritium, I dont' know how much an on board flashlight will do if it is mounted forward of the sight.

Deployment Solu
12-07-2011, 20:56
I have an ATI green dot (under $100.00) sight on my Rem 1100. It has performed flawlessly. Makes for quick shots and precision shots(slug) much faster. I am very happy with it.

fasteddie565
12-11-2011, 08:27
I am an old school iron sight guy and am still trying to get used to the red dots. I did shoot some cheaper flashlights apart off of my Benelli M4. Now I have a Surefire. Remember, when deciding whether or not you should buy good gear, its only your life you are protecting....

G21H30
12-11-2011, 10:21
Well, the nice thing about the armson OEG is that the brighter it is, the brighter the dot is, it is powered by sunlight or any light for that matter. Darkness may be a bit of a problem though without tritium, I dont' know how much an on board flashlight will do if it is mounted forward of the sight.

The Armson OEG does have a tritium powered dot. I bought my first OEG at a gun show in 1983 and mounted it on a Dan Wesson .44 revolver. It's is still useable(although not a bright as when new). I also use to run them on a couple of AR's and a Marlin .44 mag lever action. Although there are better options now a days "old school" still works.If you will notice in the lower photo the OEG was made in South Africa and imported by Trijicon and had a tritium dot.

http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i420/G21H30/IMG_1013.jpg

http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i420/G21H30/IMG_1012.jpg

Buffering
12-11-2011, 12:03
I use an Armson OEG on my AR to this day. I replaced the tritium about 4 years ago and and I think the first set lasted about 12 years.

Last time I took it to the range a lot of the instructors and student sneered at the Happy Days sight however when it came to shooting time, few people were faster. I didn't have to dick around with "dialing" the intensity or co-witness issues. Uber quick and uber reliable. The OEG is old school and I couldn't be happier.

Bullman
12-11-2011, 13:35
The Armson website now says they don't have tritium capability since the split with Trijicon, but that they were working on that. They are definetly a fast sight, you just need two eyes to run one.

mstennes
12-11-2011, 14:54
On a range toy, buy whatever you want.

For a fighting shotgun, my choice is Aimpoint. I have a T-1 on my Benelli M4. Anybody who says a red dot doesn't have a place on a shotgun has not tried this set up. It's a game changer.
I agree, I'm running a Insight MRDS, with the shroud, low and faster than the sights ever can be, I'm looking at a T1 on my other M4.

rudeboy3
12-11-2011, 14:59
See i Hate to call a dooshbag a dooshbag but why do people insist on trying to look cool and experienced by knocking something someone else wants likes etc ? Really dude do you think you're cool? The man asked a valid question , people who actually know what they're talking about and have solid experiece answer. And some people add useless insults.

For the record - just cause u scraped some dough together to buy the most expensive shotgun around doesn't make you cool. We get it dude you got a Benelli M4 after you pestered me to help you get a M930SPX. now you're knocking peoples choice in sights ? Wow. You are a real classu winner.

Offtopic but "dooshbag"?

Bello
12-13-2011, 06:48

This is hilarious coming from a guy who had to scrape up 299 for a mossberg semi auto shotgun and who writes paragraph abound paragraph of nothingness about a crap gun that 99.9 % of people complain about :rofl:

p.s. i will side by side my gun collection to your garbage anyday son.

David_Ely
01-10-2012, 15:16
I'm thinking about a Burris Fastfire II. Optics Planet has them on sale for $199 right now. Anybody use this optic on their shotgun?

Aceman
01-12-2012, 20:12
This is hilarious coming from a guy who had to scrape up 299 for a mossberg semi auto shotgun and who writes paragraph abound paragraph of nothingness about a crap gun that 99.9 % of people complain about :rofl:

p.s. i will side by side my gun collection to your garbage anyday son.

While this may be true, he was right. Can't argue against the red dot on the SG:

It's faster
It's better situation awareness

The issue isn't do you need it. You probably don't need the SG, let alone a semi, or whatever it is your collection.

If you like your bead, fine. But the red dot is a superior sighting system to the bead, with the one exception that it is electronic/glass and can fail. And as I pointed out, at indoor social ranges, the frame of the sight will work just fine, and is also faster than the bead.

So smart off to Scrappy if you want, but don't think I see anything but an old fool who doesn't know what he is talking about, regardless of the fact that you may have a closet full of premium weapons and shoot like Wild Bill Hickock.

I have a light, a dot and a laser on all my AK's. And every one of those things:
a) Gives me an advantage over you
b)Comes off with a quick release to exquisitely zeroed, and regularly practiced irons

You should never depend on those things or forego basic skill. But you would be a fool to deny the advantage they bring to any shooter, particularly newer ones.

Glolt20-91
01-15-2012, 23:33
I have a night vision compatible C-MORE on my FNH SLP, love it, especially nighttime flash shooting.

Taurus851
01-18-2012, 07:09
The Armson OEG does have a tritium powered dot. I bought my first OEG at a gun show in 1983 and mounted it on a Dan Wesson .44 revolver. It's is still useable(although not a bright as when new). I also use to run them on a couple of AR's and a Marlin .44 mag lever action. Although there are better options now a days "old school" still works.If you will notice in the lower photo the OEG was made in South Africa and imported by Trijicon and had a tritium dot.

http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i420/G21H30/IMG_1013.jpg

http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i420/G21H30/IMG_1012.jpg

Is this a Dan Wesson?

Roddy
01-18-2012, 22:05
1X red dot help - I'm having good luck with a Vortex SPARC Red Dot Sight SPRC

I really like my two SPARCs but I find them to be just a bit small to look through. You can lose track of the dot and they block your vision a bit. Great sight, that's my only complaint about it.

I like the looks of that Truglo plouffedaddy has on his as it looks a bit bigger. I'm going to have to try one I think. Shotgun optics take a pounding so if you find a cheap one that works that's great. I have an NCStar has lasted about 100 rounds so far but it doesn't surprise me that the OPs broke after three shots.

glockenturm
01-19-2012, 03:45
I've got an Eotech on my Saiga 12, and it works great. Very accurate with slugs,

I know you're "spraying" with shot, but it doesn't hurt to have it centered on whatever you're aiming for! And with an Eotech, you can acquire your target very rapidly. Great for the ranges where your shotgun is effective.

How do you have it mounted?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine