Ammo waterproof experiment [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Ammo waterproof experiment

toshbar
12-02-2011, 23:01
I just tossed one of my Federal 180 grain .40sw HiShoks, along with a random one of my 175 grain lead reloads into my toilet tank.

The idea here is to see if they are waterproof. I'm going to leave them in there for a week or so and then see if any water got in.

Anyone have any predictions? I'll update with what I find.

Doughnutman_923
12-02-2011, 23:08
Good experiment...

Keep us in the loop!

I believe good quality ammo has good quality primer sealant and therefore may not be affected by the water. We'll see!

Bucky89
12-02-2011, 23:17
If they do get wet, I'd be interested in the results of you letting them dry off for a few days and then trying to shoot them.

Scared_of_zombies
12-02-2011, 23:38
I had a box of 9mm under rain water on the boat for six months (was under a porthole). All fired perfectly.

PS: Never trust a sample size of one each.

G19ftw
12-03-2011, 00:24
I predict a squib.

ElrodCod
12-03-2011, 02:32
In before the lock.

zorro49
12-03-2011, 03:08
Hollow points will leak, ball ammo less of chance, another reason military uses ball ammo, nah just kidding. Will be interesting to see results. zorro49

JuneyBooney
12-03-2011, 03:12
I think it would have already leaked if it was going to leak. I don't really think a week is going to make a difference.

kashdaddy
12-03-2011, 03:15
should fire fine..........its a 50/50 chance.

nyycanseco33
12-03-2011, 04:06
Finally I get to do this instead of someone doing it to me lol...

IBTL!!!

4 glocks
12-03-2011, 06:47
You are not going to flush your toilet for a week and the retreive the 2 rounds.
Anyone have any predictions? You and your Glock will smell like SH#!.

ComeAndGetThem
12-03-2011, 06:49
should fire fine..........its a 50/50 chance.

If it should fire fine, then the odds are greater than 50/50. :supergrin:

21Carrier
12-03-2011, 06:52
You better hope they don't get sucked down the drain when you flush! Couldn't you have put them somewhere that wouldn't potentially result in a live round stuck in your toilet's passages? Maybe a bowl of water?

I once took my G29 tubing with me. It was loaded with some handloaded 175gr Silvertips. It was underwater (UNDERwater, not just wet) for about 4 hours. I tested the rounds on the way home, they were fine. With most commercial ammo being sealed, I'm predicting they fire just fine.

Unfortunately, we will never hear your results, because this thread will be locked in a minute. IBTL, biatches!

4 glocks
12-03-2011, 07:02
Stop pissing your ammo away. :rofl:

Bruce M
12-03-2011, 07:14

:rofl::rofl:

nyycanseco33
12-03-2011, 07:26
stop pissing your ammo away. :rofl:

lol!!!

Doughnutman_923
12-03-2011, 09:01
Oh yeah, wrong forum, almost forgot!

IBTL!!!!

125K9
12-03-2011, 09:02

That's on par with: "Do not eat the yellow snow!"

ron59
12-03-2011, 09:18
Military ammo is made to special requirements to increase waterproofness. Crimped primer pockets, plus a sealant around the primer. Also the sealant is applied around the case mouth.

I don't know of any commercial ammo made to these requirements. It might be okay, might not.

Neither your reloads nor those Federals are made to be waterproof, so not exactly sure what you're testing. And I agree... a sample size of 1 is insufficient. Do 100 each and leave them in there for a week.

Bren
12-03-2011, 09:26
Finally I get to do this instead of someone doing it to me lol...

IBTL!!!

Why would there be a lock?

Granted, I don't understand the nervous nancy mentality of this forum in the last few years, but lock a thread about testing ammo?

nyycanseco33
12-03-2011, 09:48
Why would there be a lock?

Granted, I don't understand the nervous nancy mentality of this forum in the last few years, but lock a thread about testing ammo?

This topic is informative but just doesn't belong in the general glocking forum but there are other spots on this forum where it does belong... Trust me I got that message and a whole lot more after I was banned earlier last week for speaking out about locking my posts... Plus it's a fun little contest to IBTL lol

cowboy1964
12-03-2011, 16:23
Most boards actually move threads to their proper forum but for some reason GT just locks threads. Not only does that end any usefulness of the thread but it ends up leaving it in the wrong forum.

WiskyT
12-03-2011, 16:49
If you get any failures to fire, keep the muzzle downrange for a good 30 seconds and clear the gun carefully. Don't expose yourself to the ejection port while clearing it. A hangfire is a low probability, but I had a very old and poorly cared for round go off just as I was reaching to open the slide.

Glockbuster
12-03-2011, 20:53
I predict there will be at least some loss in velocity and possibly total failure. A week is a long time and I have never done it. Most I've done is a one hour swim and a 12 hour dunk. The one hour swim was no problem. The 12 hour dunk yielded lower velocities but no failures in ten rounds.

toshbar
12-03-2011, 21:06
I'm glad the thread was moved instead of locked. Thanks to whoever helped out there.

If they do get wet, I'd be interested in the results of you letting them dry off for a few days and then trying to shoot them.
There is a keg of 4895/Garand powder that has been underwater since the '40s. Every 5 years or so they take a little out, let it dry, and load it. It has always ignited.
I predict a squib.
You are going on the presumption that I'll try to fire them. I may elect to pull the bullets and see. If I attempt to fire them and they go off, I'll not know if any moisture got into the case.
You are not going to flush your toilet for a week and the retreive the 2 rounds.
Anyone have any predictions? You and your Glock will smell like SH#!.
Toilet tank. It's where the water gets stored before it flushes through the bowl. The bowl is below you when you sit down. The tank is pretty much sanitary. I'd drink out of it in a hurricane.

Texas357
12-04-2011, 03:18
There is a keg of 4895/Garand powder that has been underwater since the '40s. Every 5 years or so they take a little out, let it dry, and load it. It has always ignited.

I'd like to hear more about that.

Markasaurus
12-04-2011, 04:25
Don't see any reason it will not fire. Wipe it down and shoot it. If you hear anything funny on firing, drop a cleaning rod or look down the barrel to make sure a bullet didn't get stuck before firing the next one. But i don't think this will happen. Bullets nowadays are sealed pretty well after all. If you really want an experiment, leave it in salt water for a month. Or better yet, leave about 20 of them soaking in WD-40. Now THAT would be a video.

KennyFSU
12-04-2011, 04:30
I did this experiment with .45 LC hollow points (submerged for 1 month) and all fired perfectly fine!

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b41/LSntegra/DSC00205.jpg

nyycanseco33
12-04-2011, 04:47
Don't see any reason it will not fire. Wipe it down and shoot it. If you hear anything funny on firing, drop a cleaning rod or look down the barrel to make sure a bullet didn't get stuck before firing the next one. But i don't think this will happen. Bullets nowadays are sealed pretty well after all. If you really want an experiment, leave it in salt water for a month. Or better yet, leave about 20 of them soaking in WD-40. Now THAT would be a video.

That is some of the worst advice that I have ever heard someone give regarding gun operation and safety... Just look down the barrel huh? Throw caution to the wind and disregard all safety precautions to look down a barrel to make sure a bullet didn't get stuck?! And soaking live rounds in WD-40?! I'm gonna be nice and just leave it at that cause I'm already on the GT naughty list...

OP please don't take this advice, stick to your values and practice safe handling of your weapon at all times, if you do experience a problem OT something is not performing to standard then I highly suggest seeking a professional gunsmith to check your weapon instead of you... Would hate for you to pull the trigger and have a hang fire or other complication that could prove to be costly or even lethal

Blast
12-04-2011, 05:18
That is some of the worst advice that I have ever heard someone give regarding gun operation and safety... Just look down the barrel huh? Throw caution to the wind and disregard all safety precautions to look down a barrel to make sure a bullet didn't get stuck?! And soaking live rounds in WD-40?! I'm gonna be nice and just leave it at that cause I'm already on the GT naughty list...

OP please don't take this advice, stick to your values and practice safe handling of your weapon at all times, if you do experience a problem OT something is not performing to standard then I highly suggest seeking a professional gunsmith to check your weapon instead of you... Would hate for you to pull the trigger and have a hang fire or other complication that could prove to be costly or even lethal
This^^

Also, OP mentioned he would remove bullets from case and check powder. Stay with that.
Plus, you can test fire empty case to see if primers are dry.

WiskyT
12-04-2011, 05:29
I'd like to hear more about that.

Hercules, okay Alliant:upeyes:, has a jar of Unique stored in water. It's from one of, if not the first, original batches of Unique. Every few years they pull some of it, dry it, and use it as a control against current production. I have a PDF with a picture of it but I can't find a link to it. AFAIK Alliant still has it.

It kind of blows a big hole in the "new Unique is faster BS" too.

toshbar
12-04-2011, 22:07
I think I'll actually fold them into a shirt soaked in jet fuel and see if it lights on fire when I touch a match to it....

I might even stick my eyeball as close to the match as I can when I light it to see if any phosphorus gets stuck to the striking strip on the box.

:rofl:

vis_pacem
12-04-2011, 22:43

pretty sure u can take the barrel out of the slide and look down it.........

nyycanseco33
12-05-2011, 04:47
pretty sure u can take the barrel out of the slide and look down it.........

Yes I'm aware of that but in that case you really should seek a professional if there is a plugged barrel.

vis_pacem
12-05-2011, 09:04
Yes I'm aware of that but in that case you really should seek a professional if there is a plugged barrel.

if you know the barrel is plugged why do u need to look to see if it is? the whole idea of looking down the bore is to check for an obstruction prior to firing another round. its not hard to remove a slug from a bore, you just have to use something that isnt going to damage the bore. i normally use a hard wood dowel and a rubber mallet. ive done it maybe 3 times and never had an issue. each time was while using subsonic ammo in a rifle

dkf
12-05-2011, 10:32
Yeah really. Taking the gun to a "professional" for a squib which lodges a bullet in a barrel.:upeyes: Removing the bullet and inspecting the barrel is easy, fairly quick and you can keep shooting after its removed. I swear some people get all warm and fuzzy preaching safety on forums, even if they don't know what they are talking about.

PS. There are two ends of the barrel, you don't have to look in the end which the bullet comes out of.

Leigh
12-05-2011, 11:01
The myth of WD-40 breaking down primers was debunked several years ago.

nyycanseco33
12-05-2011, 11:07
Yeah really. Taking the gun to a "professional" for a squib which lodges a bullet in a barrel.:upeyes: Removing the bullet and inspecting the barrel is easy, fairly quick and you can keep shooting after its removed. I swear some people get all warm and fuzzy preaching safety on forums, even if they don't know what they are talking about.

PS. There are two ends of the barrel, you don't have to look in the end which the bullet comes out of.

I'd rather be extra cautious than ignorant, ignorance eventually gets people hurt of killed, it's people like you that I treat every year for stupid firearms mistakes either in the home or out in the woods... Thanks for the job security...

toshbar
12-05-2011, 11:34
If you think a ball of lead in the middle of an open-ended steel pipe is suddenly going to zoom out the end which you are looking into, we might need to revisit 9th grade fluid dynamics class.:faint:

Back on topic: The rounds are still in the toilet tank, I just checked. So, 4 glocks, there is no poop in the tank. I didn't put the glock in there with them, so neither are going to smell like it.

dkf
12-05-2011, 12:46
I'd rather be extra cautious than ignorant, ignorance eventually gets people hurt of killed, it's people like you that I treat every year for stupid firearms mistakes either in the home or out in the woods... Thanks for the job security...

LOL. "People like me". Get off your high horse and stop being a clueless lecturing fool. Its obvious to me (and others) you have NO clue what your talking about when it comes to a squib.

Back on topic: The rounds are still in the toilet tank, I just checked. So, 4 glocks, there is no poop in the tank. I didn't put the glock in there with them, so neither are going to smell like it.

You could always do an ammo torture test that involves putting the rounds in poop.:whistling:

toshbar
12-05-2011, 15:30
You could always do an ammo torture test that involves putting the rounds in poop.:whistling:
Or puke........THE ACIDS WILL EAT THROUGH THE BRASS AND CAUSE NUKULARRRR REAKTSHUNS!!!!!:uglylol: