New addidtion to the family! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : New addidtion to the family!

razdog76
12-02-2011, 23:08
I stopped at a local pawnshop that does not report to leadsonline to see if two dirtbags took their grandmother's jewelry there. I spot what looks like an Ithaca DS Police Special on the rack...

Outside of this forum, I am an Ithacaphile. Since the store owners know me by first and last name, they let me field strip to ensure nothing was too boogered up, some haggling, I walked out with it for $150.

It still has the original pistol grip stock set marked Ithaca, 8 round magazine, and rifle sights. The front sight assemble is MIA, but still has the retainer screw stuck in there. I was thinking mid 70's, and after I checked the serial number I confirmed it was made in 1976, and probably has no disconnector.

While the inside of the barrel has no pitting, the outside has been spray painted black. There are quite a few places where the paint flaked off exposing white metal, so I am pretty sure this is a blued model.

For about $60 worth of parts it will be good to go. Maybe this winter I will spring for a can of carb cleaner, and send it to Ithaca Gun, or Sycamore Hill Designs for a good bluing to finish the restoration.

Ajon412
12-02-2011, 23:18
Good find and best of luck with it. I just sent my Ithaca M37 Homeland Security barrel back to Ithaca for repair. Their customer service is outstanding and turn around time was less than a week. I dealt with Jeremiah and he couldn't have been more accommodating.....:wavey:

razdog76
12-02-2011, 23:35
Do you have an Ohio production gun, or one from the original company(s)?

I am very happy the company was salvaged, and successful enough to make it the past couple of years through this economy. I have 3 870's, plus an issued one, but there is just something about the M37.

I just wish they were able to develop a 3.5" inertia based auto.:wow:

Cochese
12-03-2011, 00:15
Pics dammit.

razdog76
12-03-2011, 01:14
Just finished taking it completely apart. It is also missing a yoke assembly, but no big deal, I can still get all the parts for less than a c-not delivered. I may have to find out who the previous owner was, so I can kick'em straight in the junk for not cleaning it at all... still, no pitting so restoration will be easy.

Unfortunately, no slam fire. Still, if I could pull this out of my cruiser, and yell just once, "Hippies disperse," it would make my career.

Cochese, I'll get some pics posted soon.

DaBigBR
12-03-2011, 03:38
Cool!

Ajon412
12-03-2011, 09:08
Do you have an Ohio production gun, or one from the original company(s)?

I am very happy the company was salvaged, and successful enough to make it the past couple of years through this economy. I have 3 870's, plus an issued one, but there is just something about the M37.

I just wish they were able to develop a 3.5" inertia based auto.:wow:

It's an original Ithaca M37 (Homeland Security Edition) from the Ithaca (NY) factory. Purchased it in 2001 and the original Ithaca Gun went "under", IIRC,in 2005 or 06...I carried an Ithaca M37 on my prior department and just fell in love with it.

As info, Surefire made a replacement Forend Weapon Light for the M37 (Model 624) and I was just lucky enough to find one out there. Choate also has a basic Weapon light platform as well. It's a replacement synthetic forend with a small picatinny mount for a light. I found the Streamlight M3 works better with this system than a 2 cell Surefire.

Also, you may want to check the "weld" on forend tube where the action bar is connected. There was a problem with this part (the "weld") and the former Ithaca Gun Company was aware of it. You can either have the "weld" reinforced or just a buy a new forend tube from the new company. I found this out the hard way when I was attending a Tactical Shotgun Course. I was completing a course of fire when my shotgun sustained a "catastrophic failure". It seems that the "weld" failed where the action bar is attached to the forend tube.

Ajon412
12-03-2011, 09:14
Just finished taking it completely apart. It is also missing a yoke assembly, but no big deal, I can still get all the parts for less than a c-not delivered. I may have to find out who the previous owner was, so I can kick'em straight in the junk for not cleaning it at all... still, no pitting so restoration will be easy.

Unfortunately, no slam fire. Still, if I could pull this out of my cruiser, and yell just once, "Hippies disperse," it would make my career.

That was one of the "interesting" features of the M37.....:whistling:

nyycanseco33
12-03-2011, 09:20
Good find and best of luck with it. I just sent my Ithaca M37 Homeland Security barrel back to Ithaca for repair. Their customer service is outstanding and turn around time was less than a week. I dealt with Jeremiah and he couldn't have been more accommodating.....:wavey:

Ithaca gun company is still in service?! I live in upstate NY about 30 miles north of Syracuse and I always thought the company had closed down but never really checked into it. My first deer was shot with an Ithaca Deerslayer 2 3/4 inch chamber. I love that gun but have since upgraded to other models and 3 inch rifled slugs, still have the Ithaca Deerslayer though, I'll never get rid of her... Anyways can someone confirm for me if it is still open and producing guns or not? You would think I'd know this since I'm in NY lol, heck we had a Remington plant here too but I have no clue if it's still open lol

Ajon412
12-03-2011, 09:49
Ithaca gun company is still in service?! I live in upstate NY about 30 miles north of Syracuse and I always thought the company had closed down but never really checked into it. My first deer was shot with an Ithaca Deerslayer 2 3/4 inch chamber. I love that gun but have since upgraded to other models and 3 inch rifled slugs, still have the Ithaca Deerslayer though, I'll never get rid of her... Anyways can someone confirm for me if it is still open and producing guns or not? You would think I'd know this since I'm in NY lol, heck we had a Remington plant here too but I have no clue if it's still open lol

Yup, they're back in business, now in Upper Sandusky (OH) and as mentioned, their customer service is outstanding.....:wavey:

http://www.ithacagun.com/

razdog76
12-03-2011, 12:11
That was one of the "interesting" features of the M37.....:whistling:

Meh, it is very difficult to be able to actually hit anything, except by accident while slam firing. I now have a 1960 20ga Deerslayer and the 1976 DS Police Special made in Ithaca, and a late production DSII made in King Ferry. My DSII can deliver 3 Winchester Platinum Tip slugs into 1.25" at 100 yards from the bench.

I find the simplicity of the design, delivery of any slug I shoot within Minute Of Deer, how it feels lighter, is better balanced, and points better then the 870 the interesting features of the gun.:supergrin:

Last night I just wiped some of the grime off the inside of the receiver. It is going to be a bear to clean it up. The inside of the receiver has no pitting or rust, just grime, and dried oil, but the flash made it look that way.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h269/razdog76/Ithaca/DSPoliceSpecial001.jpg
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h269/razdog76/Ithaca/DSPoliceSpecial002.jpg
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h269/razdog76/Ithaca/DSPoliceSpecial004.jpg
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h269/razdog76/Ithaca/DSPoliceSpecial005.jpg

Ajon412
12-03-2011, 13:10
WOW...Not to shabby for $150....

razdog76
12-03-2011, 13:32
WOW...Not to shabby for $150....

Here is a pic of the trigger group screw, lifter and lock screws, with the lifter and a shell stop taking a carb cleaner bath after 5 minutes.
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h269/razdog76/Ithaca/DSPoliceSpecial003.jpg

The Browning designed trigger group, so simple, and yet so crusty. Fortunately it is all surface, and is soaking in CLP before it gets disassembled.
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h269/razdog76/Ithaca/DSPoliceSpecial0012.jpg

I sure hope none of you have felt compelled to make internal parts of a gun Krylon tacticool black. If you think the glint of metal on the shell lifter will give away your position from inside the gun, you may need some more duct tape to hold your SAPI plates on.

Dragoon44
12-03-2011, 13:41
Jeez I feel old. I remember when Ithaca was THE police shotgun to have.

Another good oldie no longer made to keep an eye out for is the S&W 3000.

SpoiledBySig
12-04-2011, 16:27

In 1985, Our Department sold me one of their old Ithaca Model 37 Deer Slayer's for $50.00, because they went to S&W 3000's in the late 1970's. The S&W 3000's were great shotguns also (a Xerox copy of a Remington 870, it seemed).

The Ithaca was/is a, "Slam fire" and that's why I really like it. The department still has S&W 3000's for those who don't opt to carry an AR15.

Still have that Ithaca (here's a photo, sorry for the yellowish glow).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v313/evilon/Spoiled%202/IMGP0080.jpg

Snafu
12-04-2011, 16:45
Sounds and looks to be a good deal. What really got my attention though is the following:

Still, if I could pull this out of my cruiser, and yell just once, "Hippies disperse," it would make my career.

Are you my long lost brother???

razdog76
12-12-2011, 08:11
Well, $80 worth of parts is enroute to my house, including to a new front sight assembly, magazine tube, and a magazine end cap.

I talked to "Jeremy" at the Ithaca plant that told me I would not have to worry about the paint at all, since it would be easily removed in their polishing process.

Last step before refinishing will be to detail strip the trigger group. I just hope that the CLP is going to allow those pesky retaining pins to budge.

G27Chief
12-12-2011, 21:59

Exactly what I thought, still wm sentimental about a
37!

Ajon412
12-12-2011, 22:24
Well, $80 worth of parts is enroute to my house, including to a new front sight assembly, magazine tube, and a magazine end cap.

I talked to "Jeremy" at the Ithaca plant that told me I would not have to worry about the paint at all, since it would be easily removed in their polishing process.

Last step before refinishing will be to detail strip the trigger group. I just hope that the CLP is going to allow those pesky retaining pins to budge.

Is the refinish gonna be blue or parkerized?

razdog76
12-12-2011, 22:53
Is the refinish gonna be blue or parkerized?

Funny you should mention that. I was showing it off to my best friend today, and I noticed that all of the exterior exposed metal was still bright white, and that the paint came off pretty easily with my fingernail in some areas leaving the fame color metal... looks like I scored a nickel DS Police Special!

Now I have to figure out how to get the paint off, which I believe is an epoxy finish. Acetone, and turpentine has no effect, and brake cleaner evaporates after discoloring it a little. I'm skeptical, but it looks like aircraft paint remover will do the job.

Additionally, I need to figure out who will do the best job at applying a nickel finish to the replacement parts.

Ajon412
12-12-2011, 22:59
Funny you should mention that. I was showing it off to my best friend today, and I noticed that all of the exterior exposed metal was still bright white, and that the paint came off pretty easily with my fingernail in some areas leaving the fame color metal... looks like I scored a nickel DS Police Special!

Now I have to figure out how to get the paint off, which I believe is an epoxy finish. Acetone, and turpentine has no effect, and brake cleaner evaporates after discoloring it a little. I'm skeptical, but it looks like aircraft paint remover will do the job.

Additionally, I need to figure out who will do the best job at applying a nickel finish to the replacement parts.

Who the heck in their right mind would spray paint over a nickel finish??....Blasphemy, I say.......:rofl:

razdog76
12-12-2011, 23:03
Who the heck in their right mind would spray paint over a nickel finish??....Blasphemy, I say.......:rofl:

Clearly someone with confidence issues.:supergrin:

Ajon412
12-12-2011, 23:06

Now, you have two reasons......:rofl:

razdog76
12-12-2011, 23:16
Course, if I was to pull it out of my cruiser, with the nickel finish people might think I pulled out a light sabre.:thumbsup:

4949shooter
12-13-2011, 04:56
Good find! This should make a nice restoration project. I was given a model 37 Deerslayer by my parents when I was in high school. The damn thing killed quite a few deer until it was stolen out of my room, probably by someone we knew. The suspect is deceased at this time.

I was at a gunsmith around 15 years ago, and there was a green parkerized model 37 with full length magazine tube and wood furniture. I should have snatched it up.

Ajon412
12-13-2011, 11:20
Course, if I was to pull it out of my cruiser, with the nickel finish people might think I pulled out a light sabre.:thumbsup:

:rofl:...You have to get us before and after pictures of this project once complete.....

Ajon412
12-13-2011, 11:22
Good find! This should make a nice restoration project. I was given a model 37 Deerslayer by my parents when I was in high school. The damn thing killed quite a few deer until it was stolen out of my room, probably by someone we knew. The suspect is deceased at this time.

I was at a gunsmith around 15 years ago, and there was a green parkerized model 37 with full length magazine tube and wood furniture. I should have snatched it up.

Gee, what a coincidence.....:whistling:

razdog76
12-13-2011, 12:38
:rofl:...You have to get us before and after pictures of this project once complete.....

I got the parts in the mail today. The new magazine is a pristine blued version, waiting to be plated...

I posted the before. I just sprayed paint stripper on the mag tube that needs to be replaced anyways to see if it will hurt the nickel underneath.

I'm hoping the citrus stuff will be strong enough to do the job, so I won't have to use the stuff containing methylethylnastybadstuff in my house. It says it will dissolve epoxy paint, we will see in about 20 more minutes.

Ajon412
12-13-2011, 12:43
Did you check with the folks at Ithaca to see if they could re-plate it for you??? You really don't see too many nickle plated "anything" these days...

Ajon412
12-13-2011, 12:48
I got the parts in the mail today. The new magazine is a pristine blued version, waiting to be plated...

I posted the before. I just sprayed paint stripper on the mag tube that needs to be replaced anyways to see if it will hurt the nickel underneath.

I'm hoping the citrus stuff will be strong enough to do the job, so I won't have to use the stuff containing methylethylnastybadstuff in my house. It says it will dissolve epoxy paint, we will see in about 20 more minutes.

You must have done pretty well in high school chemistry....I don't remember seeing this on the Periodic Table. Now that I think about it, I don't remember high school......:rofl::rofl:

razdog76
12-13-2011, 13:16
You must have done pretty well in high school chemistry....I don't remember seeing this on the Periodic Table. Now that I think about it, I don't remember high school......:rofl::rofl:

I learned about methylethylnastybad**** from clandestine lab training. Methylethylnastybadstuff, is its slightly less toxic derivative.:supergrin:

To anyone in coptalk land, if you should happen to find a John Mason "Black Warrior" pistol grip for a 12ga M37 in good shape, I would certainly pay for it + shipping, and maybe even be your best friend for a while to get it!

Ajon412
12-13-2011, 13:48
I learned about methylethylnastybad**** from clandestine lab training. Methylethylnastybadstuff, is its slightly less toxic derivative.:supergrin:

To anyone in coptalk land, if you should happen to find a John Mason "Black Warrior" pistol grip for a 12ga M37 in good shape, I would certainly pay for it + shipping, and maybe even be your best friend for a while to get it!

Aftermarket M37 accessories are scarce these days and have been since about 2001ish, sorta like hens teeth...Even Speed Feed doesn't offer replacement stocks anymore..

Take a look at this...Not sure if this is what you're looking for:

http://www.riflestock.com/catalog_page.cfm?PCID=2&MID=17&PSCID=248&Lev=S3

Good article: http://www.tactical-life.com/online/guns-and-weapons/ithaca-model-37-defense-12-ga/

razdog76
12-13-2011, 14:39
It worked great, but instead of burnt powder and CLP, it smells like oranges.

Some before pics...
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h269/razdog76/Ithaca/Image12132011145834.jpg
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h269/razdog76/Ithaca/Image12132011145906.jpg

Some after pics...
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h269/razdog76/Ithaca/Image12132011161529.jpg
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h269/razdog76/Ithaca/Image12132011161516.jpg

You can't really see it in the pics, but the previous owner tried to prepare it by hitting it with sandpaper. Certainly did a better job than what was done to the magazine tube with the cutoff wheel, and flattening the checkering on the magazine nut.:brickwall:

The nickel is still intact, just has scratches. I think it will probably take two more cleanings to get it looking good, and then I will have to decide whether to get the whole gun refinished, or if it looks better with character.

Ajon412, the Choate stock is very similar, except the John Mason one has the pistol grip rubberized along with the detachable stock.

Ajon412
12-13-2011, 16:03
WOW, a diamond in the rough....What a find.....I guess Christmas came early....:wavey:

4949shooter
12-13-2011, 16:51
Gee, what a coincidence.....:whistling:

The undersigned has no knowledge of the above. :whistling: :supergrin:

WOW, a diamond in the rough....What a find.....I guess Christmas came early....:wavey:

Yep it looks good.

MeefZah
12-13-2011, 17:33
That's awesome, and I had no idea they were in business, and in Ohio of all places.

razdog76
12-13-2011, 19:23
That's awesome, and I had no idea they were in business, and in Ohio of all places.

Seem to be doing fairly well by improving the production processes, and in this economy no less have been able to expand the product line from just fixed barrel deerslayer II's and III's to a scaled down M37 28ga, and a 1911 line.

I ordered the parts, and received them in 3 days just like the guy said, and they were perfect. I even got to talk to real people when I called customer service.

Kadetklapp
12-14-2011, 07:01
Seem to be doing fairly well by improving the production processes, and in this economy no less have been able to expand the product line from just fixed barrel deerslayer II's and III's to a scaled down M37 28ga, and a 1911 line.

I ordered the parts, and received them in 3 days just like the guy said, and they were perfect. I even got to talk to real people when I called customer service.

Excellent. Love this project.

Texas357
12-14-2011, 11:11
That's the problem with the occasional good find at a pawn shop; you know you are supporting a shop that is in all likelihood supporting thieves.

I can't say I don't want that gun, though.

Ajon412
12-14-2011, 13:23

I've got my eye on the 8 shot M37 Defense Gun......

http://www.ithacagun.com/defense37s.html

....and the 1911 looks promising....

http://www.ithacagun.com/firearms.html