Practice Ammo [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Practice Ammo

xtremetj
12-03-2011, 09:22
I come accross some Ultramax ammo at my local Sportsman's Warehouse. What's the general consensus with this brand? Anyone shooting it or have any experience with it or am I better off staying away from it?

Thanks.

captcurly
12-03-2011, 10:27
I shoot an indoor range and the vent system is very good. A few months ago I was firing and there was a shooter in the stall next to me. As I was firing I notice a very large clould of smoke in front of this shooter. Every other shooter was looking at this guy. I wanted to know what the hell this guy was shooting. The young man told me that he went cheap on the ammo (Ultramax -remade ammo)and would never do it again. His weapon (Springfield XD) and his shooting hand looked like he dipped into a barrel of black soot. In all my years of shooting I never more filthy ammo than this. It was later learned that the range does not even sell Ultramax. Maybe this was a batch of bad stuff. I am sure there will other replies to defend Ultramax. Using cheap ammo is like putting re-cycled engine oil in a BMW.

glock2740
12-03-2011, 10:57
Buy it. Shoot it.

jb1911
12-03-2011, 11:05
It's garbage. Ultragarbage.

JaPes
12-03-2011, 11:05
I buy whatever practice is the cheapest. I don't expect it to be clean shooting. All I want it to do is go bang.

The least expensive ammo I can find in my area is TulAmmo. Works just fine.

longrange24
12-03-2011, 11:07
How cheap?

JaPes
12-03-2011, 11:14
How cheap?

Dont' know if you're asking me ...

At my local Wal-Mart, it's $9.43 per box of 50. I like shooting steel cases because it doesn't set off my OCD about picking up my brass.

My friends & I will aggregate our ammo orders, and place one large order at Cheaper Than Dirt (CTD) to save on shipping costs. We order a bunch of different ammo to stock up every 6 months.

At CTD, TulAmmo 9mm 115gr is $8.49 per box of 50 before shipping.

JBP55
12-03-2011, 11:20
I prefer 124 NATO, 124 American Eagle, 124 Lawman.

kashdaddy
12-03-2011, 11:22
at under $10 per 50 rounds (9mm luger), you can get at least six different manufacturer choices of ammo........you can even get some better ones that tulAmmo and ultramax such as magtec, GA arms, Atlanta Arms and lawman.

unit1069
12-03-2011, 12:20
I've never shot any remanufactured ammo or steel-cased ammo in any of my handguns, but I'd shoot the steel before I'd shoot the reloads.

With the various Internet ammo dealers selling first-run brass FMJ ammo at around $10/box of 50 it makes little sense to me to gamble on the reloads.

JBP55
12-03-2011, 13:22
I've never shot any remanufactured ammo or steel-cased ammo in any of my handguns, but I'd shoot the steel before I'd shoot the reloads.

With the various Internet ammo dealers selling first-run brass FMJ ammo at around $10/box of 50 it makes little sense to me to gamble on the reloads.

What he said.

collim1
12-03-2011, 14:36
I buy whatever practice is the cheapest. I don't expect it to be clean shooting. All I want it to do is go bang.

The least expensive ammo I can find in my area is TulAmmo. Works just fine.

This. Ammo is too expensive nowadays to be picky. Every time I pull the trigger in my .45's I am throwing almost $.40 down range.

I buy Tulammo for practice now. It is smokey and dirty but my P220 eats it reliably so I shoot it and spend a few extra minutes cleaning the gun afterwards.

Remington UMC~$.42/round
Tulammo~.$28/round

No brainer IMO.

tonymctones
12-03-2011, 16:29
I bought some Winchester white box 115 fmj bc it was .50 cents cheaper if I bought a hundred than my normal practice federal champion 115 fmj. So not worth it my trigger finger was black not to mention the front half of my gun. Federal champion is 10.97 a box I personally haven't found anything better that's combination of cheap and clean. You have to decide if it's worth it to you to shoot dirty ammo if it's cheaper my glock can take I just prefer not to even though it's a little more.

beforeobamabans
12-03-2011, 17:32

A good reman operation is the same as "factory" once the brass is reconditioned. I shot thousands of rounds from Precision Cartridge out of Hobart, IN (Chicago area) when ammo was short in '09. This ammo is so much better than steel case Russian, its not funny. Buy and shoot with confidence.

xtremetj
12-03-2011, 23:12
How cheap?

They have Ultramax 357 Sig for $17.99/box 50.

Tarant
12-04-2011, 00:41
Take this with a grain of salt, because i have only shot Ultramax in .223.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/Tarant/Ultramax55grFMJReman.jpg

That is a 100yrd 5 shot group(the group that is being measured) with Ultramax 55gr FMJ, So not handgun ammo but DAMN, it shoots great for cheap stuff in my 700. I have found the quality and consistency to be very good(have tried several boxes and lots) much better than the HSM Reman that Sportsmans sells. So I would figure the quality would be the same for other calibers.