New MagPul stocks - STR and ACS-L [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : New MagPul stocks - STR and ACS-L

Airborne Infantryman
12-03-2011, 11:59
Check'em out- the STR is replacing my CTR on my SBR lower; I'll be able to store a copy of my Form 1 in there. The STR is UGLY, but looks functional. :supergrin:

http://store.magpul.com/product/MAG470/171

ACS-L

http://store.magpul.com/product/MAG378/170

M&P15T
12-03-2011, 12:10
I get a laugh out of the marketing used to sell their products. I was looking at the MIAD grip, which "allow the end user to adjust the grip for hand size as well as dynamic mission requirements."

Dynamic mission requirments indeed!!:rofl::rofl:

Airborne Infantryman
12-03-2011, 12:11
I get a laugh out of the marketing used to sell their products. I was looking at the MIAD grip, which "allow the end user to adjust the grip for hand size as well as dynamic mission requirements."

Their marketing is funny, but you gotta admit; their stuff is pretty functional. :supergrin:

M&P15T
12-03-2011, 12:13
Their marketing is funny, but you gotta admit; their stuff is pretty functional. :supergrin:

Hell-to-the-yes-ya'll.....

Both of those new stocks look sweet. I just don't know if my mission is dynamic enough.:supergrin: Us arm-chair commandos are rough on our stuff.

Airborne Infantryman
12-03-2011, 12:24
Hell-to-the-yes-ya'll.....

Both of those new stocks look sweet. I just don't know if my mission is dynamic enough.:supergrin: Us arm-chair commandos are rough on our stuff.

I plan on taking a LOT of stuff to Afghanistan to see if it holds up......I need to start a pool to see what people want me to take over there and "test"....

Infantrymen can break anything, and when you throw in being at 5000 feet + altitude in the mountains, only the truest of the true will survive. Thinking about taking a Trijicon AccuPoint 1-4x over there to see how well it holds up....:supergrin:

AaronZR2
12-03-2011, 12:29
I must not be dynamic enough, I couldn't stand the MIAD grip, swapped for Ergo

faawrenchbndr
12-03-2011, 12:51
I plan on taking a LOT of stuff to Afghanistan to see if it holds up......I need to start a pool to see what people want me to take over there and "test"....

My Son-in-Law took PMags,......used them exclusively!
Take what works for YOU, A'stan is not a place to "test" crap for people!

Airborne Infantryman
12-03-2011, 12:56
My Son-in-Law took PMags,......used them exclusively!
Take what works for YOU, A'stan is not a place to "test" crap for people!

Well of course I'm not gonna take junk....:supergrin:

All I use is PMags....

I'm gonna take an optic that I trust; but at the same time, needs to be wrung out. As for using what works for me; if it has a dot, crosshairs or a chevron, it works for me. I've used every optic you can imagine, with one exception being an Elcan SpecterDR (which will change here soon). I'd honestly use Iron sights if they would let me; but that is a no-go. About the only optic I dislike is the Aimpoint. They are OK, but nothing great.

I've been to Afghanistan before; I know what to expect, and what to not take risks/compromises on.

raven11
12-03-2011, 12:58
Good looking stocks, not to bad price either

faawrenchbndr
12-03-2011, 13:13
Well of course I'm not gonna take junk....:supergrin:

Guess I should have added a smilie,........I know a bit of your history.
And I do know you have NO interest in junk, you do very well at only
buying quality products!
I've been using a Comp M2 for years now,.....love the thing!

Airborne Infantryman
12-03-2011, 13:21
Guess I should have added a smilie,........I know a bit of your history.
And I do know you have NO interest in junk, you do very well at only
buying quality products!
I've been using a Comp M2 for years now,.....love the thing!

No harm, no foul, good sir. :wavey:

The reason I dislike Aimpoints is because I am all jacked up; you see, I am left-eye dominant, but right handed. The thing is, I have an astigmatism in my right eye, so when I shoot with an Aimpoint, its a big blob instead of a dot if I'm not wearing my glasses. I have 20/20 vision, but the glasses I seldomly wear correct my astigmatism. I don't like wearing glasses because it feels so unnatural to me. :faint:

M&P15T
12-03-2011, 13:40
How are you able to take different stuff like optics and stocks with you, instead of issue stuff?

Wouldn't some occifer get all bent out of shape?

Airborne Infantryman
12-03-2011, 14:00
How are you able to take different stuff like optics and stocks with you, instead of issue stuff?

Our unit doesn't care as long as we are using good quality stuff. If you attempted to use something like UTG or something like that, you'd get drop-kicked in the front ESAPI plate. :supergrin:

The name of the game in my unit is, unless its Trijicon, Aimpoint, EOTech or Leupold, don't bother putting it on your rifle. There are exceptions to this, of course.

Stocks, rail panels, and pistol grips aren't as big of an issue, but the armorers get pissed when people loose their safety detent spring while changing pistol grips. :rofl:

M&P15T
12-03-2011, 14:05
Our unit doesn't care as long as we are using good quality stuff. If you attempted to use something like UTG or something like that, you'd get drop-kicked in the front ESAPI plate. :supergrin:

The name of the game in my unit is, unless its Trijicon, Aimpoint, EOTech or Leupold, don't bother putting it on your rifle. There are exceptions to this, of course.

Stocks, rail panels, and pistol grips aren't as big of an issue, but the armorers get pissed when people loose their safety detent spring while changing pistol grips. :rofl:

Where are you going? What are you going to be doing?

I'm freakin' old and jelous.:supergrin:

Airborne Infantryman
12-03-2011, 14:13
Where are you going? What are you going to be doing?

I'm freakin' old and jelous.:supergrin:

In Afghanistan? We're probably gonna be in the mountains waiting to A.) get shot at, or B.) get attacked by a Snow Yeti. The possibility of both is a high likelyhood.

I'm jealous of your Mustang 5.0......I have a crappy 2006 Mustang V6.....:crying:

M&P15T
12-03-2011, 14:16
In Afghanistan? We're probably gonna be in the mountains waiting to A.) get shot at, or B.) get attacked by a Snow Yeti. The possibility of both is a high likelyhood.

I'm jealous of your Mustang 5.0......I have a crappy 2006 Mustang V6.....:crying:

Here's the deal.

I get your knees and over-all physical age, keep my adult brain. I also get your SCAR 16s with ACOG, and I'll go on your deployment. (I also need to keep my tennis skillz, dey iz mad.)

You get my 2012 5.0 Blk/Blk 3.73 gears/6SPDMT Mustang, I get yours, you get to sit here and design kitchens. But you gotta take these knees. 30 years of hard-court tennis takes a toll.

faawrenchbndr
12-03-2011, 14:18

I'd rather be shot than attacked by a Snow Yeti! :wow:

As far as the Mustang,.........SuperCharge it!

Airborne Infantryman
12-03-2011, 14:21
Here's the deal.

I get your knees and over-all physical age, keep my adult brain. I also get your SCAR 16s with ACOG, and I'll go on your deployment. (I also need to keep my tennis skillz, dey iz mad.)

You get my 2012 5.0 Blk/Blk 3.73 gears/6SPDMT Mustang, I get yours, you get to sit here and design kitchens. But you gotta take these knees. 30 years of hard-court tennis takes a toll.

Your not gonna be too happy with my knees....remember, I'm Airborne, and Infantry. Not a good combo.

Both my ankles are shot, my right knee is wonky, and I'm crazy, but just sane enough to still be able to have firearms. Are you sure you still wanna switch? :supergrin::whistling::wavey:

M&P15T
12-03-2011, 14:21
I'd rather be shot than attacked by a Snow Yeti! :wow:

As far as the Mustang,.........SuperCharge it!

Yeah, that 4.0 V6 in those year Mustangs were boat anchors.

AI, save some deployment money and look at a new 5.0.

I swear, if you don't get the manual trans/3.73 gears and track-pack/Brembo packages, I will hunt you down.......slowly.:fred::fred::rofl:

M&P15T
12-03-2011, 14:26
Your not gonna be too happy with my knees....remember, I'm Airborne, and Infantry. Not a good combo.

Both my ankles are shot, my right knee is wonky, and I'm crazy, but just sane enough to still be able to have firearms. Are you sure you still wanna switch? :supergrin::whistling::wavey:

I'll take your knees and ankles any day.

Airborne Infantryman
12-03-2011, 14:31
You really wanna have a "crappy knees and ankles" battle with me son?:rofl:

2 knee surgries, a 3rd I should have had, massive crepitation in both knees. At least 50 or so rolled/sprained/ligament torn ankles (most of them being very minor), but now I can roll an ankle and I hardly notice it.

I had one of my ankles x-rayed about 2 years ago while figuring out some foot issues, and the doctor asked me how I walked. I honestly told him I have 0 pain, but evidently it was pretty much solid oste-arthritis.

Competetive hard-court tennis, 30+ years, at a pretty high level. Now I weigh 230 lbs, which is the real problem.

Not sure about the stuff with "crepitation" but it sounds bad. Roger that, I'll keep my knees. :supergrin::rofl:

M&P15T
12-03-2011, 14:34
Not sure about the stuff with "crepitation" but it sounds bad. Roger that, I'll keep my knees. :supergrin::rofl:

Crepitation is a grinding noise my knees make as they move through their natural arc.

It isn't as bad as I make it out, I spend time in the gym working on them, and osteo-arthritis heals. I really just need to loose about 50 lbs.

I'm thinking either meth or cocain.

Are you with the 101? How big of a unit are you going with?

Airborne Infantryman
12-03-2011, 14:45
Crepitation is a grinding noise my knees make as they move through their natural arc.

It isn't as bad as I make it out, I spend time in the gym working on them, and osteo-arthritis heals. I really just need to loose about 50 lbs.

I'm thinking either meth or cocain.

Are you with the 101? How big of a unit are you going with?

I'm with the 101st. I'm in a small RSTA (Recon, Surveillance, Target Acquisition) unit. That's as much as I can say without going into OPSEC territory. :whistling:

plouffedaddy
12-03-2011, 15:04

I'm one of those damn/jerk/*sshole occifers and I've seen a huge change in this in my years. I don't think anyone besides crusty ass SGMs and COLs care about Soldiers using off the shelf gear as long as it's quality stuff (UTG's a freaking no-go!). Like our Airborne Infantryman friend said, this especially applies to stocks, foregrips, magazines, ect... Shoot, I'd say 60-70% of combat arms guys use Magpul P-Mags downrange.

ScrappyDoo
12-03-2011, 15:13
MAGPUL is my favorite company for stuff and their stocks also are my favorite. Wish I could design a customized AR for me with each of their stocks , I hav a good idea for each one lol.

Nice biut really I'm happy with my CTR on my 5.56 AR , will use a regular ACS on a build someday and the Moe on my 15-22 is nice enougn

surf
12-03-2011, 15:21
I have 2 Imods on backorder which is good as I might cancel those for the STR. I personally have despised the look of the ACS stock and the new one is no better. I have always liked the minimalistic look of the CTR but wanted more of a cheek rest surface, so the new STR looks just about right.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. :)

Airborne Infantryman
12-03-2011, 15:45
I have 2 Imods on backorder which is good as I might cancel those for the STR. I personally have despised the look of the ACS stock and the new one is no better. I have always liked the minimalistic look of the CTR but wanted more of a cheek rest surface, so the new STR looks just about right.

Yea, the STR is ugly, but I definitely like the utilitarian look. It seems MagPul is going after the VLTOR IMod, offering a stock that has storage, QD attachments, and a $100 range price.

We'll see. I'm definitely buying an STR as soon as they are available, as I planned on getting rid of the CTR due to having to store my Form 1 with my SBR.

MrMurphy
12-03-2011, 16:04
Avoid that Elcan.

They will not hold zero, the mount is a piece of crap and integral to the unit.

Airborne Infantryman
12-03-2011, 16:07
Avoid that Elcan.

They will not hold zero, the mount is a piece of crap and integral to the unit.

Already on it, sir. I canceled the order for the Elcan and bought another ACOG TA31ECOS.

ACOG is what I know and love, so that's the route I went. My ACOG TA31ECOS was $1548 shipped with free 2-day FedEx Air. I got the red illumination this time, since I already have a TA31ECOS with Green illum. :supergrin:

With the money I saved by not buying the Elcan, I am gonna buy a nice SureFire light for the SCAR.

faawrenchbndr
12-03-2011, 16:30

I'd take your ankles as well,.......my left one was busted into seven pieces in '89.
A plate, some screws, and a re-attached achiles,........I'm doin ok.

Two_Clicks
12-03-2011, 16:54

The MIAD is on both of my Lowers about the only grip that fits my big mits...Magpul makes some nice products...both of those stocks are a great price too

WoodenPlank
12-03-2011, 20:43
I'm with the 101st. I'm in a small RSTA (Recon, Surveillance, Target Acquisition) unit. That's as much as I can say without going into OPSEC territory. :whistling:

Sounds like my buddy attached to the 82nd that's a 13F.

HAIL CAESAR
12-03-2011, 21:06
As long as were trading body parts...anybody want to trade for a wore out busted back.

And my wife made me go on high BP pills.....so I have other parts to trade too.:whistling:

pag23
12-04-2011, 08:16
AI... first thing is, be safe over there. Second thing is PM me your APO (if you want) and I'll try to send a few care packages: gun magazines, regular magazines, books as I have a bunch lying around. Coming from a military family I try and hold all members with the highest respect and appreciate what they do for our country.

Let us know how you make us and some of the gear that holds up or not. I would be curious to see how some of the Magpul stuff holds up and the optics due to weather and abuse..

My creaky knees and back are do to soccer and ice hockey over the years, but losing weight and nutrition supplements do help.

ColdBlooded
12-04-2011, 08:56
This comes right after I dropped $110 on a OD ACS :steamed:. Oh well, I will invariably get one of them. I would have liked to have the ACS-L for my middy dissy.

bug
12-04-2011, 12:30
Already on it, sir. I canceled the order for the Elcan and bought another ACOG TA31ECOS.

ACOG is what I know and love, so that's the route I went. My ACOG TA31ECOS was $1548 shipped with free 2-day FedEx Air. I got the red illumination this time, since I already have a TA31ECOS with Green illum. :supergrin:

With the money I saved by not buying the Elcan, I am gonna buy a nice SureFire light for the SCAR.

I have the same problem as you right handed left eye dom with stig in right eye.

Do you like the green or red better as far as how fast your eye can pick it up and focus on it?
My eyes do not like the green of street signs anymore but when I have tried optics with green aiming points it seems to work better. but i have not tried a acog in green yet.

Edit: Oh and thanks for doing what you do for all of us over here.

Airborne Infantryman
12-04-2011, 12:41
I have the same problem as you right handed left eye dom with stig in right eye.

Do you like the green or red better as far as how fast your eye can pick it up and focus on it?
My eyes do not like the green of street signs anymore but when I have tried optics with green aiming points it seems to work better. but i have not tried a acog in green yet.

Edit: Oh and thanks for doing what you do for all of us over here.

Bug, thanks for the kind words. I actually prefer green, as my eye picks it up faster, but red is almost as fast. I find green doesn't have the "bloom" issues that red does in bright conditions. The green TA31ECOS is on my RECCE/DMR rifle, as the reticle is crisp even in full sunlight, and the fiber optic tube doesn't need to be covered.

Red blooms a LOT in full sunlight, and the fiber optic tube may need to be covered slightly so you can use the crosshairs for more precise work, even though the ACOG is a minute-of-man optic.

It actually works out, because the red blooms the reticle so much, that the aiming point is easier to pick up on when using BAC with the ACOG. At the same time, I've used nothing but ACOGs through the last 5 years in the Army, so its like second nature for me. Other mileage may vary with BAC.

Another helpful trick is to use a killFlash with the flip-caps, and you can use the ACOG as an OEG (Occluded Eye Gunsight).

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6156/6134047391_d94ee499bb_b.jpg

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6076/6134047983_f7f04c5dc3_b.jpg

bug
12-04-2011, 14:44
Bug, thanks for the kind words. I actually prefer green, as my eye picks it up faster, but red is almost as fast. I find green doesn't have the "bloom" issues that red does in bright conditions. The green TA31ECOS is on my RECCE/DMR rifle, as the reticle is crisp even in full sunlight, and the fiber optic tube doesn't need to be covered.

Red blooms a LOT in full sunlight, and the fiber optic tube may need to be covered slightly so you can use the crosshairs for more precise work, even though the ACOG is a minute-of-man optic.

It actually works out, because the red blooms the reticle so much, that the aiming point is easier to pick up on when using BAC with the ACOG. At the same time, I've used nothing but ACOGs through the last 5 years in the Army, so its like second nature for me. Other mileage may vary with BAC.

Another helpful trick is to use a killFlash with the flip-caps, and you can use the ACOG as an OEG (Occluded Eye Gunsight).

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6156/6134047391_d94ee499bb_b.jpg

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6076/6134047983_f7f04c5dc3_b.jpg

Thanks for the info.
I have a XPS3-4 on my BCM and it is good with a magnifier but with out it is what I would describe as Minute of blob.
Its better in daylight but in a dark room even on a very low setting it is very "FUZZY" to my right eye.

I was looking at a cheap green dot vortex knockoff of a aimpoint and the dot was very clear to my eye in light and dark.

I am considering putting this on my POF .308 http://www.trijicon.com/na_en/products/product3.php?pid=TA648-308G

And this: https://www.trijicon.com/na_en/community/whats_new_item.php?whats_newID=news_99 if they make it with a green dot on my BCM and putting the XPS on the other AR

Airborne Infantryman
12-04-2011, 15:18
Thanks for the info.
I have a XPS3-4 on my BCM and it is good with a magnifier but with out it is what I would describe as Minute of blob.
Its better in daylight but in a dark room even on a very low setting it is very "FUZZY" to my right eye.

I was looking at a cheap green dot vortex knockoff of a aimpoint and the dot was very clear to my eye in light and dark.

I am considering putting this on my POF .308 http://www.trijicon.com/na_en/products/product3.php?pid=TA648-308G

And this: https://www.trijicon.com/na_en/community/whats_new_item.php?whats_newID=news_99 if they make it with a green dot on my BCM and putting the XPS on the other AR

The 6x ACOGs are very unwieldy. Unless you absolutely want that much magnification, I'd recommend this TA11E-G. Its a green chevron reticle calibrated for 175g 7.62.

http://www.trijicon.com/na_en/products/product3.php?pid=TA11E-G

If you really want 6x magnification, I'd recommend the 5.5x ACOG- this one is calibrated for 175g 7.62, and is not as unwieldy. The missing .5 of magnification is unnoticeable.

http://www.trijicon.com/na_en/products/product3.php?pid=TA55A

I've personally used the TA55A in Iraq on our M14s. They are pretty much awesome, and they replaced our Leupold Mark 4 LR/Ts that were on our M14s at one point.

The SRS is gonna be nice, and I fully intend on putting one on my SBR once my tax stamp gets back. :supergrin:

bug
12-04-2011, 15:30
The 6x ACOGs are very unwieldy. Unless you absolutely want that much magnification, I'd recommend this TA11E-G. Its a green chevron reticle calibrated for 175g 7.62.

http://www.trijicon.com/na_en/products/product3.php?pid=TA11E-G

If you really want 6x magnification, I'd recommend the 5.5x ACOG- this one is calibrated for 175g 7.62, and is not as unwieldy. The missing .5 of magnification is unnoticeable.

http://www.trijicon.com/na_en/products/product3.php?pid=TA55A

I've personally used the TA55A in Iraq on our M14s. They are pretty much awesome, and they replaced our Leupold Mark 4 LR/Ts that were on our M14s at one point.

The SRS is gonna be nice, and I fully intend on putting one on my SBR once my tax stamp gets back. :supergrin:

It is large but I am a large fellow so I am unwieldy as well. :embarassed:

But I played with at the shot show last year and really liked how it and my eyes got along I don't need 6x mag I live in Ohio not much to shoot over 300 yards where I live.
Not really sure how to explain it other than my eyes and that scope were meant for each other, maybe its the amount of light it could gather. :dunno:
At 1700 bucks lets hope I am right!

The SRS is going to be a good choice I think for the same reasons large holes on both ends that are easy to see though.

DieselNut
12-04-2011, 23:02
Yeah, that 4.0 V6 in those year Mustangs were boat anchors.

AI, save some deployment money and look at a new 5.0.

I swear, if you don't get the manual trans/3.73 gears and track-pack/Brembo packages, I will hunt you down.......slowly.:fred::fred::rofl:

I agree. I easily out ran one with my dodge truck with 4 ppl on "economy" I thought for sure he woulda spanked my arse.

carloglock19
12-05-2011, 18:21
I got my eye on the ACS-L.

carloglock19
12-05-2011, 18:25

I've only been there once and that was good enough for me. Be safe out there AI!

dc2integra
12-08-2011, 18:29
hmm I might just have to pick one of theses stocks up.

Goat 36
12-08-2011, 19:34

Yeah, I don't think the STR is 'that' far off from the CTR shape and design and the added cheek weld and storage tubes are good-to-go for me. I actually 'like' the looks of it.

Not crazy about the ACS-L. ACS never did it for me, either.

Might very well swap out my CTR for the new STR.