tumbling loaded ammo? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : tumbling loaded ammo?

halfmoonclip
12-03-2011, 20:30
Just loaded 500 rounds of .45 ACP/.25 AutoRim, and the lead bullets were especially gooey, so I have a good bit of bullet lube all over the outside of the cases.

Would it work tossing the loaded rounds back in the tumbler for half an hour to de-goo them? Be damned if I feel like wiping off each and every round.

Offhand, the only concern I have is any effect on the 4.1 grs of Bullseye behind the bullets; would the tumbling have any effect on the powder? Would it break it into finer granulations?

Thanks in advance for your input; I may post this over at the .45 Forum as well.
Moon

freakshow10mm
12-03-2011, 20:43
Been beat to death on this and other forums. No it won't have an effect on the powder in any way.

Bullet lube won't tumble off very well. Just wipe them by hand with an old towel.

Three-Five-Seven
12-03-2011, 21:01
Double posting is a vexation to the spirit, suspicious use of bandwidth, and invitation to bad Karma.

halfmoonclip
12-03-2011, 21:06
Double posting is a vexation to the spirit, suspicious use of bandwidth, and invitation to bad Karma.

Sorry, didn't mean to call the Internet gods down around my ears, but needed an answer.

I've done the bullet wiping thing, and it is less fun than watching paint dry. I was hoping for a better solution.

Any other opinions on the tumbler idea? Use dry media, or with a fresh batch of lube?
Moon

Fastbear
12-03-2011, 21:11
Sit down with the wife, turn on the tube, take soft paper towels or towel and wipe the cases clean. Job is accomplished and the little woman gets to share time with you. Win win situation.

Fungunner
12-03-2011, 21:16
I once had a friend who had a reloading business. He would put his reloaded .38 Special rounds into an old front-load washing machine he converted into a tumbler. Used shredded newspaper as a medium. The loaded rounds came out nice and shined up after a few hours of tumbling. And before anyone asks, NO, there was no fast spin cycle. He had it on a motor and belt drive, set to a slow tumble.

unclebob
12-03-2011, 21:21
Donít know if it would work or not, but you could try adding mineral spirits to the media where it is on the wet side and tumble for 10 to 15 minutes.
Factory loaded ammo is tumbled.

PCJim
12-03-2011, 21:26
You could try using walnut with 2-3 tbsps (1oz) paint thinner. IF it does a decent job, I'd throw the media away afterwards so as not to spread the gunk

halfmoonclip
12-03-2011, 21:43
I once had a friend who had a reloading business. He would put his reloaded .38 Special rounds into an old front-load washing machine he converted into a tumbler. Used shredded newspaper as a medium. The loaded rounds came out nice and shined up after a few hours of tumbling. And before anyone asks, NO, there was no fast spin cycle. He had it on a motor and belt drive, set to a slow tumble.

Hmmmmm...wonder if the paper out of our shredder would work as media in my tumbler....
May have to give that a try.
Moon

chris in va
12-04-2011, 00:28
Aaaaah...no! Don't tumble lubed rounds, you'll make it even worse! I tried that last year and all the dust stuck right to the lube. Nasty.

Colorado4Wheel
12-04-2011, 05:40
Donít know if it would work or not, but you could try adding mineral spirits to the media where it is on the wet side and tumble for 10 to 15 minutes.
Factory loaded ammo is tumbled.

That works pretty well. Leave the lid off while you tumble. I use paint thinner. I seldom need to tumble loaded rounds.

halfmoonclip
12-04-2011, 22:20
Okay, the shredder paper is less than a good idea, but the wood chips that you buy for pet beds works wonderfully. 100 rounds of .45 ACP for an hour, and they are clean as can be; I'm using a Dillon vibratory cleaner. Only issue is separating the rounds from the media (it's too coarse for the usual Dillon squirrel cage tumbler), and I think I have that figured out with a plastic drawer divider from WalMart; the holes are smaller than the cartridges.

Only remaining question goes back to my initial post; is there any adverse effect on the powder in the loaded rounds? One shooting buddy claimed it would remove the supressant coating on the outside of the powder grains, thus effecting burn rate. I'm skeptical; any input on this?
Thanks,
Moon

unclebob
12-05-2011, 08:43
Factory ammo is tumbled. When you tumble brass does the inside of the case get clean? Why because the media gets in there and does not move if it does very little. I know Dillon has run tests on tumbling loaded ammo and Iím sure there have been a lot of other companies that have done the same thing. If I remember right Dillon tumbled the rounds for 3 days and ran samples every day or hours donít remember, with no changes in the velocity of the rounds. There are a lot of people that tumble loaded ammo. Just donít tumble hollow point ammo. Media gets stuck in the hole.

halfmoonclip
12-05-2011, 08:49
I shot some of the first lot last night from a Colt Commander and a M25 Smith; it shot great and did nothing untoward.
It might bear contacting Dillon about their tests.
Moon

unclebob
12-05-2011, 09:10
I shot some of the first lot last night from a Colt Commander and a M25 Smith; it shot great and did nothing untoward.
It might bear contacting Dillon about their tests.
Moon

If you do ask to speak to Gary Kieft. He is Mogollon that posts on here somethimes. And he is the one that posted about tumbling loaded ammo.

halfmoonclip
12-05-2011, 09:20
Uniform Bravo, thanks for the tip and the comeback. I sent a general question to Dillon's tech site online about half an hour ago; we'll see if they respond.

If not, I'll repost to them direct to Mr. Kieft.

It does seem I'm worrying about something that need not be an issue, and I am really, really tired wiping loaded rounds. Our range officer casts great bullets for most of us, but he uses Lyman brown lube and it can be a megamess.
He and another member had a hissyfit when I told them I was tumbling the loaded rounds, hence I'm asking some more questions.

thanks again,
Moon

dkf
12-05-2011, 09:40
Every factory FMJ or JHP ammo I buy is tumbled. My Hornady bullets are tumbled also. They don't employee midgets to hand shine each round either. I make sure to check every HP cavity to remove any media.

PCJim
12-05-2011, 17:08
Okay, the shredder paper is less than a good idea, but the wood chips that you buy for pet beds works wonderfully. 100 rounds of .45 ACP for an hour, and they are clean as can be; I'm using a Dillon vibratory cleaner. Only issue is separating the rounds from the media (it's too coarse for the usual Dillon squirrel cage tumbler), and I think I have that figured out with a plastic drawer divider from WalMart; the holes are smaller than the cartridges.

Only remaining question goes back to my initial post; is there any adverse effect on the powder in the loaded rounds? One shooting buddy claimed it would remove the supressant coating on the outside of the powder grains, thus effecting burn rate. I'm skeptical; any input on this?
Thanks,
Moon

If you have the plastic case sorters, they might work for sorting the loaded ammo from the pet bedding??

RustyFN
12-05-2011, 17:08
The lead bullets will look like crap after and there might be some crud stuck to the bullets after. Other than that there shouldn't be a problem.

sdelam
12-05-2011, 18:42
I use a rag and mineral spirits for removing lube from lead loads. I tried the tumbler and it didnt help, just made a bigger mess.

Bit lat now but... I like to use a harder lube (carnuba red)when sizing .45 rounds. It takes a little heat to get it running but it stiffens up nice.....

halfmoonclip
12-05-2011, 23:00
I have read that the bullet lubes that are stiff at room temperature produce bullets that are nicer to handle, but perhaps don't lube the bore quite as well.

It's a moot point in any case, because our Range Officer casts bullets for us, and he is old school and likes the Lyman lube.

Actually, the pet bedding wood chips, sold at WalMart for $2 for a big bag, work remarkably well. Couple caveats:
-with .45s, 100 rounds is max; more than that hampers the tumbling action too much
-assuming the 100 round thing, the loaded rounds come out looking great, bullets included
-I did put a dab of case polish in with the wood chips; have to experiment more with that

I did get an answer from Dillon Technical that the tumbling wasn't an issue, tho' the first response was about case lube rather than bullet lube. I clarified that with my response and we'll see what else they have to say.
Moon

halfmoonclip
12-06-2011, 22:11
Okay, Dillon posted back again, green light on tumbling loaded rounds, no problemo say the lads at Big Blue.
Moon