New York lawyer gets $1.50 in prison lawsuit [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : New York lawyer gets $1.50 in prison lawsuit

Snowman92D
12-03-2011, 20:29
A New York Attorney was awarded a whopping $1.50 after winning a federal civil rights lawsuit for a convict who complained his religious rights were violated because his dreadlocks had been touched. :okie:

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/lawyer_gets_paid_for_civil_rights_tbeyAcol3UTBubvtZwekXI#ixzz1fWqCmc7q

razdog76
12-03-2011, 20:49
When I worked in the jail, sometimes I felt like my rights were violated having to search some stinking dirty butt mopes, let alone having to fight them to use soap.:shower:

Newcop761
12-03-2011, 20:57
$1.49 too much!

S.O.Interceptor
12-04-2011, 06:42
"The rationale is that a lot of these cases are dubious and that prisoners need to be discouraged from bringing these cases and lawyers need to be discouraged too,"

Yup. Lets hope it works.

What amazes me is that this case was because someone "touched" his hair. In Texas he would've been suing, and losing, because we CUT HIS HAIR OFF and he was now bald.

cowboywannabe
12-04-2011, 06:53
state pens around here cut the hair of prisoners. everybody gets a short hair-do.

Morris
12-04-2011, 06:54
That fact that he won establishes that his case was successful and will not bode well for corrections in the future.

The animals are running the farm folks.

MarcDW
12-04-2011, 07:25
That fact that he won establishes that his case was successful and will not bode well for corrections in the future.

My thought even if he would have gotten one penny.

pac201
12-04-2011, 07:29

This^^^ Sets a precedent...

michael e
12-04-2011, 07:34
The guy is servering life, he has no rights, he gave those up when he was a useless POS .

Chico Bill
12-04-2011, 11:42
That, and often any reward also requires the defendant to pay attorney's fees. It seems to be a common tactic...If you think my client deserves anything...Even a dollar, then give him what he deserves! (Because I want my money...)

blueiron
12-04-2011, 12:11
A win is a win and in this case, that is unfortunate.

Vigilant
12-04-2011, 12:31

Most folks here know that many states already are enforcing grooming standards, as some have mentioned. In this particular case, I suspect that this turd's shallow victory may, in fact, hasten more states to get on board and enforce uniform grooming standards. My state has been talking about this for several years. I would love to see it become reality.

The whole thing about their stinking 'freedom of religion' is another huge cluster****.

Corrections continues to become more and more nauseating as time goes on. I hope I can hold my nose until retirement.

Hack
12-04-2011, 13:24
Well, ours has been allowing any length, and any style; as long as it is clean. Yeah, that's right. I don't see it changing anytime soon. Retirement in five to seven.

blueiron
12-04-2011, 14:43
Hack, FCI Phoenix is still looking for someone of your abilities. Let me know if you want to transfer.

w01
12-04-2011, 17:11
A New York Attorney was awarded a whopping $1.50 after winning a federal civil rights lawsuit for a convict who complained his religious rights were violated because his dreadlocks had been touched. :okie:

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/lawyer_gets_paid_for_civil_rights_tbeyAcol3UTBubvtZwekXI#ixzz1fWqCmc7q

Precedent of the verdict - bad

Judgment - LIKE! :rofl: