Gun coating [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Gun coating

IhRedrider
12-03-2011, 20:40
I have a P-10 that I carry in a paddle holster. Well the soft finish on the slide is wearing off. I need a recommendation on a good looking long lasting finish for the slide. And if you know a good source of getting it done that would be great.

cciman
12-03-2011, 22:11
The mark of a well loved gun is the holster wear. A safe queen has no marks.

All coatings will suffer this with use.

Bowtie
12-04-2011, 22:15
KG Gunkote works great and holds up very well.

.338SAKO
12-04-2011, 22:44
I apply dura coat, have been for years. I have a 1911 para ord that I finished 5 years ago and it still looks great. I even had a flip on the four wheeler and filled the holster with grit and pebbles and when I pulled the gun from the holster you could hear it grinding. The duracoat finish held up you can see the scratches in the finish but it never made it to the base metal.

I normally finish mine in combat black, the most non-glare black duracoat makes. I have finished around thirty firearms. Pm me if you have any questions. I also finish firearms for people, for a cost though. Hope this helps. BTW duracoat has around 80 different colors to chose from. I have done ak's, 1911, revolvers, desert eagles, glocks, 30-30's and shot guns most recently.

Bushflyr
12-05-2011, 16:31
Duracoat is good. Norrells Molyresin is better. It's tougher and it sprays a lot nicer than Duracoat. The only down side is having to bake it, but it's really not that big a deal.

IhRedrider
12-05-2011, 18:17
thanks,

.338SAKO, how far from E Tn are you?

.338SAKO
12-05-2011, 18:52
thanks,

.338SAKO, how far from E Tn are you?

Your going to laugh, I live in Western NC. In between Boone and Asheville.

DanaT
12-05-2011, 21:20
I have coated (plated) different parts of firearms with nickel-teflon. It works great but you have to like the color (a satin dark gray).

It holds up really well (I have plated barrels and bolts and it holds up to bullets being fired) and is self lubricating. It also makes cleanup much easier as burnt powder doesn't like to stick to it much.

-Dana