Got Pulled Over Today ... While CCW [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Got Pulled Over Today ... While CCW

BrewerGeorge
12-03-2011, 21:54
So I was late for boxing class this morning and my speed got away from me. (I honestly try to never go more than 5 mph over.) I noticed I was going faster than I intended and started slowing, then about 5 seconds later saw the officer and knew immediately he was going to pull me over.

So I pull over safely and do everything you are supposed to do as he walked up - window down, radio off, both hands on the wheel, etc. The first thing I said to him after he asked for license and registration was that I was a CCW holder and that I was armed. He was cool, asked where it was and whether it would be accessible while I got my stuff (no), and that was it. He took my stuff including my permit and walked back to his car to run my info. He came back with his hand on his weapon (Glock of course), and stood a bit behind my window and leaned down, but they may be trained to do that every time anyway. He ended up giving me a warning for 16 mph over because I truly do almost never speed and don't have any points on my record. Thanks. Have a nice day and drive safe and we were done. It was a completely friendly, respectful, normal traffic stop.

I know some of you are going to say that I had no obligation to tell him - "Concealed means concealed" - but I think that my forthrightness may have had something to do with me just getting the warning by setting a general positive attitude. That, and I was once made to get out of my car and lie down on the pavement in Norfolk, VA - when I wasn't even carrying - because the officer saw that I held a CCW permit while running my record. He used the loudspeaker from his car to direct me to get out. He was pissed that I hadn't told him and gave me a couple of BS citations like "improper lane change" in addition to the speeding ticket. Again, I wasn't armed that day because I was returning home from the Navy base. Ever since then I've told myself that I would always inform an officer that I was carrying. Today was my first opportunity to put that plan in action, and it seems to have worked out well enough.

Lampshade
12-03-2011, 22:22
Ever since then I've told myself that I would always inform an officer that I was carrying.

Well, all I can say is I think you learned the wrong lesson from that encounter!

pnutcar
12-03-2011, 22:31
I got a HUGE ticket for speeding a few weeks ago. I have my ccw and had my P3at sitting in the door pocket. The officer came up and greeted me; the first thing I did was tell him that "I have my legally possessed ccw in my door, how would you like to proceed?" He was very cool about it, didn't care or freak out, just asked me to step out of the car. I always tell them because I try to get out of tickets. It didn't work :(

This is glock talk though, so I'll probably get flamed because I informed the LEO that I was carrying, drive a non-American BMW and don't have a Glock anymore lol.

NMG26
12-03-2011, 22:37
That, and I was once made to get out of my car and lie down on the pavement in Norfolk, VA - when I wasn't even carrying - because the officer saw that I held a CCW permit while running my record. He used the loudspeaker from his car to direct me to get out. He was pissed that I hadn't told him ..................

Wow I guess he schooled you well. Did that make you respect law enforcement more or respect law enforcement less?

I would say that officer was out of line, if VA is a "inform NO" state..........and you were not even carrying. A CCW permit on his computer screen should not justify such treatment.

BrewerGeorge
12-03-2011, 22:38
Well, all I can say is I think you learned the wrong lesson from that encounter!
How do you mean? Obviously I meant during a traffic stop; it's not like I'm walking up to cops on the street and telling them I'm armed.:tongueout: But I'm not sure how I could have taken anything else away from that Virginia stop. He put me on the pavement just for having a CCW permit even when I didn't have a gun. I can't imagine what he would have done had I been carrying (although I probably would have told him, even before this incident, if I had been). Once they have your license, their computer is GOING to tell them that you hold a permit. The only thing you can control is how they find out - from you in a matter that makes them as comfortable as possible, or from the computer where they can think you're trying hide something from them.

BrewerGeorge
12-03-2011, 22:42
Wow I guess he schooled you well. Did that make you respect law enforcement more or respect law enforcement less?

I would say that officer was out of line, if VA is a "inform NO" state.
Less, of course, but I was more upset at the time about the bogus stuff he tacked onto the ticket because I was just a poor enlisted guy.

It never even occurred to me at the time whether I had to inform him or not because I WASN'T ARMED!

Lampshade
12-04-2011, 08:22
How do you mean? Obviously I meant during a traffic stop; it's not like I'm walking up to cops on the street and telling them I'm armed.:tongueout: But I'm not sure how I could have taken anything else away from that Virginia stop. He put me on the pavement just for having a CCW permit even when I didn't have a gun.

Exactly, he proned you out just because he knew you had a CCW. Hence, the less they know, the better.

Once they have your license, their computer is GOING to tell them that you hold a permit.

That depends entirely on where you are.

NMGlocker
12-04-2011, 10:37
Ever since then I've told myself that I would always inform an officer that I was carrying. Today was my first opportunity to put that plan in action, and it seems to have worked out well enough.
9 times out of 10 it'll work out just like it did for you on this stop.
A professional response and "officers discretion" in your favor.
But that 1 time out of 10...
I hope you like getting proned out on the street at gunpoint while a crazy person with a badge is screaming at you. Then being handcuffed in the back of a squad car for an hour while said crazy person with a badge tries to stick you with any felony he can possibly come up with. Don't forget the lecture crazy man will give you about "shooting you and sleeping like a baby afterwards".

The Machinist
12-04-2011, 10:40
I've only been pulled over once since I started carrying concealed, and made no mention of it. If I get pulled over in the future, I won't bring up then, either.

wuvmyglock
12-04-2011, 10:48
I've only been pulled over once since I started carrying concealed, and made no mention of it. If I get pulled over in the future, I won't bring up then, either.

In my state you legally must inform the officer if you are in possession of your firearm.. I have been stopped a couple times and all the officers have been very cool. Hands on the wheel.. Tell them you are carrying and where it is located.. Slow movements when going for the wallet.. I usually carry it in the left front pocket with my Glock on my right hip.. Not informing an officer you are packing heat just don't make much sense.. Just might end up with a Glock in your ear..

Lampshade
12-04-2011, 10:52
Not informing an officer you are packing heat just don't make much sense..

As long as you aren't in a duty to inform state, and your weapon is out of sight, it makes complete sense.

Just might end up with a Glock in your ear..

For people who aren't in a duty to inform state, I believe informing increases the odds of this happening dramatically.

snubfan
12-04-2011, 11:34
I don't understand the mindset of informing if you don't have to. Why would you even create the possibility of a bad situation?

BrewerGeorge
12-04-2011, 11:39
I think the part you guys are missing is that (in my state at least) the CCW is going to be revealed to the officers when they run your information. So there is NO hiding it once they have your license in hand.

The Machinist
12-04-2011, 17:41
I think the part you guys are missing is that (in my state at least) the CCW is going to be revealed to the officers when they run your information. So there is NO hiding it once they have your license in hand.
Then let them figure it out. You can be courteous and respectful, but you don't need to jump through hoops, or explain your actions like you just got caught doing something wrong. :supergrin:

guanoman
12-04-2011, 17:47
I was pulled over once for speeding. Back in that day, it was required by law to hand your CHL license to the cop as well as your DL. When he saw I had a CHL, he asked where it was, in the glove box. He had me get out of the car, stand in front of my car and place both hands on the hood of my car (hot!). This SOB was an absolute jerk! I moved my hands off the hood and he started with a huge attitude. Made me wonder why I ever obey the laws to begin with.... I thought I was one of the good guys?!

wuvmyglock
12-04-2011, 18:00
I don't understand the mindset of informing if you don't have to. Why would you even create the possibility of a bad situation?

When you inform the officer at least he knows you have a firearm on your person... If the officer happens to "see" it on his own... I think the situation would be worse..

Paul53
12-04-2011, 18:01
25 years as an ER nurse, lots of exposure to LEO's. If I were a LEO, I swear I'd shoot a lot of people rather than put up with the crap they do. Almost daily they'd bring someone in intending to cut them loose, and the patient would mouth off talking his way IN to jail.
They're just doing a job. Be up front and honest with them, make their job easier, and you're much better off. Be a jerk and guess how they'll treat you. In TX your CCL and drivers license numbers are the same, so we're told to just hand over both.

gunowner1
12-04-2011, 18:28
I thought I would ask what the laws about "informing" are in Florida while I'm here.I've never been stopped while carrying down here.

b52ace
12-04-2011, 19:13
I thought I would ask what the laws about "informing" are in Florida while I'm here.I've never been stopped while carrying down here.

No requirement to inform in FL.

Jade Falcon
12-04-2011, 19:56
I got pulled over about a year ago for going 39 in a 25, as well as "cutting people off", according to the officer. He wasn't very pleased with me as he walked up to the side of my car, but I knew that I had been completely in the wrong, so when asked what/why I was speeding, I offered no excuses. When he asked for my info, however, I told him that I was licensed to carry a concealed weapon in the state of Washington, and he said that was fine, but didn't take my ccw card.

He walked back to his car, ran my name, walked back, gave me my stuff, and said "don't make me regret giving you a warning.". I thanked him, and carefully drove home, not believing my good luck.

I'm convinced that because I didn't make excuses, and that I informed him of my permit, that those two things kept me from getting a ticket. I think I'll keep that formula up.

MadMonkey
12-04-2011, 20:01
Texas took away the penalties for not informing, but I still do it anyway. Haven't had a gun-related issue yet and I've (sadly) been pulled over a lot... rarely for moving violations, but because it's so dang hard to keep up with four different sticker expiration dates (2 cars) :rofl:

nelsone
12-04-2011, 20:45
Way back in the day when I was a racecar driver and all-around hotshoe, I used to get pulled over alla time. The last FIVE TIMES IN A ROW I was let go with no ticket. One of those times I was crossing the CA Central Valley in three digits. So help me God.

Of course I wasn't carrying, but the strategy to tell the truth in as few words as possible and then SHUT UP has worked better for me than anything else.

I always thought that if I got pulled over here in OR I'd tell them I had a CHL - why not, after all? But after reading these tales I might just be inclined to let the officer find out on his own. Schooling works both ways, and this crap about "making his job easier" doesn't trump my most basic right to freedom from unreasonable search.

It's been over fifteen years since I got pulled over, so maybe it's a moot point.

janice6
12-04-2011, 21:04
I find it is always better for me to admit I did something wrong and take my medicine. I have never received a ticker but I have had some Trooper/cops shake their heads at my admission.

I think when you have been stopped it's too late to get cute.

Once after an accident, I had a cop notice that I flashed a G27 IWB during the "license and insurance" mode. She asked if I had a CCP and I assured her I did and she said she didn't need to see it.

I believe the interaction with an officer is, to a great degree, determined by the offender's attitude and honesty.

For the 1:10, there is nothing you can do to change any of the situation. It is determined by the officer, 100%. Just go with it and hope you get a warning, or pay up/lock up.

RRrider
12-04-2011, 21:17
Michigan requires you to inform.

steve581581
12-04-2011, 21:20
Honesty is the best policy. Yes in most states you do not have to inform an officer whether or not you're armed but the officer also does not have to give you a warning for the law you were breaking in the first place. Hiding it when being forthcoming can make the entire situation easier for all involved makes no sense in my opinion.

Lampshade
12-04-2011, 23:05
Honesty is the best policy.

Not informing someone you are carrying when you are under no obligation to do so isn't dishonesty.

Yes in most states you do not have to inform an officer whether or not you're armed but the officer also does not have to give you a warning for the law you were breaking in the first place.I fail to see the connection between the two.
Hiding it when being forthcoming can make the entire situation easier for all involved makes no sense in my opinion.

Informing when you are under no obligation can make the situation much more difficult for the carrier as well.

writwing
12-10-2011, 18:14
25 years as an ER nurse, lots of exposure to LEO's. If I were a LEO, I swear I'd shoot a lot of people rather than put up with the crap they do. Almost daily they'd bring someone in intending to cut them loose, and the patient would mouth off talking his way IN to jail.
They're just doing a job. Be up front and honest with them, make their job easier, and you're much better off. Be a jerk and guess how they'll treat you. In TX your CCL and drivers license numbers are the same, so we're told to just hand over both.

I hope you dont CC with that attitude. Come to think of it, I wonder what you would do to a patient that you gets on your nerves. What hospital do you work in??

Black&TAN
12-10-2011, 18:34
That depends entirely on where you are.
Ohio, yes. CCW has popped up on screen before license is in LE hand.

sent via Tapatalk

douggmc
12-10-2011, 18:38
Honesty is the best policy. Yes in most states you do not have to inform an officer whether or not you're armed but the officer also does not have to give you a warning for the law you were breaking in the first place. Hiding it when being forthcoming can make the entire situation easier for all involved makes no sense in my opinion.

:faint:

.... that's just it ... it has nothing to do with honesty.

If you think it does, than you need to get your mind right IMHO. You are not a criminal for lawfully carrying a weapon any more than you are for carrying a pack of gum in your pocket.

I have no obligation to inform ANYBODY, including a LEO, in my state (unless they are an LEO and ask) that I'm lawfully carrying a concealed weapon. I would be no more (or less) honest if I failed to inform an officer I was wearing socks!

douggmc
12-10-2011, 18:40

With all due respect, but .... you live in FL and carry a concealed weapon (and therefore have a CCW permit ... I hope) ....but you don't know the law?

10-32
12-10-2011, 18:41
... In TX your CCL and drivers license numbers are the same, so we're told to just hand over both.

Actually, my TX CHL and DL numbers are completely different. Not even close. My CHL does have my DL# on it, right below my CHL#.

I was also told to just hand over both my DL and CHL when I took my CHL class on Ft. Hood. I got pulled over once in TX and I gave the officer both right away. He looked at the CHL like I gave him a bubble gum wrapper and handed it right back. Not a word was said about it by either of us, and I was back on my way.

BTW, I was carrying a GLOCK 30 in a Don Hume JIT at about 1530 :-)

douggmc
12-10-2011, 18:49
I got a HUGE ticket for speeding a few weeks ago. I have my ccw and had my P3at sitting in the door pocket. ..l.

I'm curious what the law is in your state regarding having your weapon "sitting in the door pocket". Was it in plain view? Obviously it wasn't physically on your person ... was it encased in a holster?

Just to provide insight, in Florida .... a weapon in your vehicle as you described ... is not legal. It is not under the purview/scope of your CCW permit at all (as it is not concealed on your person). If it was in plain view and/or not "securely encased" (e.g. in a latched glove compartment, in latched center console, in a snapping/zipping/velcroed/ holster, bag, container, etc) ... and in your vehicle, it would be illegal. Further, if you DO have it "securely encased" in your vehicle AND NOT concealed on your person, it is entirely legal without a CCW (i.e., any person who may legally possess a firearm may do so in their vehicle in this manner).

If nothing, else just a reminder to folks to know your state laws in this regard (and as a CCW holder in your respective state ... IMHO you really have a higher obligation to know).

kensteele
12-10-2011, 19:52
With all due respect, but .... you live in FL and carry a concealed weapon (and therefore have a CCW permit ... I hope) ....but you don't know the law?

I'm curious what the law is in your state regarding having your weapon "sitting in the door pocket". Was it in plain view? Obviously it wasn't physically on your person ... was it encased in a holster?

Just to provide insight, in Florida .... a weapon in your vehicle as you described ... is not legal. It is not under the purview/scope of your CCW permit at all (as it is not concealed on your person). If it was in plain view and/or not "securely encased" (e.g. in a latched glove compartment, in latched center console, in a snapping/zipping/velcroed/ holster, bag, container, etc) ... and in your vehicle, it would be illegal. Further, if you DO have it "securely encased" in your vehicle AND NOT concealed on your person, it is entirely legal without a CCW (i.e., any person who may legally possess a firearm may do so in their vehicle in this manner).

If nothing, else just a reminder to folks to know your state laws in this regard (and as a CCW holder in your respective state ... IMHO you really have a higher obligation to know).

If you live in a state which is NOT must inform it's not so bad to be unaware that you don't have to inform. Making that mistake is penalty-free. However, living in a state which IS must inform and not knowing it can make you into a criminal and it's more important to know that law.

In my state, which is not a must inform state, you are taught to answer correctly when asked. I would imagine that's the way it is in most of these types of states and there is little mention about it being optional to inform at the stop or at least people don't remember it when they are told it is optional.

Personally, I think it is most important to remember some of the other parts of the law when you live in such a state. Either way, I look at all the conditions you mentioned in FL and I guess there are a dozen different "gotchas" when it comes to carrying a firearm in your car. You like that? You enjoy 20 different ways to becomes a criminal? You have a permit in my state, your weapon in your car is just that: your weapon in your car. It's not necessary to arm the police with a dozen different ways to stick it to you if you "deserve" it.

Lampshade
12-10-2011, 20:22
If you live in a state which is NOT must inform it's not so bad to be unaware that you don't have to inform. Making that mistake is penalty-free.

That's a strong assumption. In many places, the odds of being jacked up in one way or another are pretty high, even if you are legally carrying.

PA is not a must inform state, but if you volunteer to a Philly cop that you're carrying, the odds of having a negative experience are pretty high.

oldhat
12-10-2011, 20:34
I've been pulled over 3 times in 15 years of CHL'n in Texas. Out of respect for the cop, I have and will inform and thus far have received courteous and professional behavior in every case. If I were to encounter a real jerk, I'd keep my mouth shut and then contact his patrol supervisor at a later date.

RGbiker
12-10-2011, 20:46
In Arizona, conversation with traffic officer goes like this:

Officer:"Sir, do you have a weapon on you"?

Me:"Yes Sir, a Glock 26, in a belt holster mounted crossdraw".

Officer:"How do you like the small Glock"?

Me:"I like it, feeds anything in 9mm. decent trigger pull, etc".

Officer:"I see you live in Tucson, have you found any good deals on ammo at LGS"?

Me:"Some, but better prices are at gun shows".............(and conversation on guns and ammo goes on for a half hour with me ending up with a verbal warning for speeding).