as time passes do more businesses allow ccw? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : as time passes do more businesses allow ccw?

huggytree
12-04-2011, 08:53
here in WI i dont see many businesses posting 'no weapons' signs....but now ive seen a few

i skipped going to PF Changs last week because they had a sign

this is a post to the guys who live in states that have had ccw for a long time

as time passes will more and more of these businesses change their minds and allow ccw???

i will not spend my money at any business that has a no weapons sign unless its something i cant avoid

Shadyscott69
12-04-2011, 09:02
I don't think they change their mind as much as they forget about the entire issue.
When SC passed shall issue in the early 90's, pretty mush EVERYWHERE had the no CWP signs up.
Now, you would have to look really hard to even find one of those signs. Much ado about nothing.

Spartacus100
12-04-2011, 09:04
Thats what happened in here in Texas when it first came out. There were alot of signs saying no weapons..sings of every kind. Cardboard handmade signs with a gun with a circle and line drawn through it etc. over time most businesses took them down. i cant remember the last time i saw one of the state required signs. Texas eventually said if a store wanted to prohibit carrying a weapon in their establishment, they had to use the state issued no guns allowed sign. So between the required sign, and the fact that people realized we werent having running gun battles in the streets everyday, the signs seemed to disappear. Now, i never see them...i'll bet WI will follow...IMO anyways.

vafish
12-04-2011, 09:06
I think some of them change their minds and some just forget to put up new signs.

However don't expect PF Changs to change their mind or remove their sign. They've had signs up since their restaurant opened here in VA.

And I've never eaten there.

SJ 40
12-04-2011, 09:16
See that's what is great about living in Vermont,we have always had the option of concealed carry or open carry since 1777. In Vermont you don't see many anywhere and have to assume that any and every citizen is armed,it has worked since 1777. SJ 40

failsafe
12-04-2011, 11:07
When Missouri first got the CCW, there were a few over anxious Mgr's that would post the no CCW sign..One that stands out is a national chain, CVS..
It seemed to only be at the CVS store closest to me...I contacted corporate and asked for a written policy concerning lawfully licensed CCW's, carrying in their stores...Long story short, the signs came down..
Voice your concerns to corporate..If the signs do not come down, tell them you will shop elsewhere..Vote with your wallet...:cool:

HerrGlock
12-04-2011, 11:20
Ask to speak to the owner of the signed stores and tell them not only that you're shopping elsewhere but why.

Tell them whatever their reasoning you're still going to spend your money elsewhere and don't get into a debate with them.

I did that and then bought literally a thousand dollars of stuff that I was going to buy at a posted store. I went back and showed the manager the receipt of the sales he lost that day alone and I didn't see the sign in the window the next week.

Be polite, be persistent but above all make sure they know they're losing business because of that sign. Why should they take it down if no one tells them it's losing them money?

Glenn E. Meyer
12-04-2011, 11:42
Interesting little games in TX. A car dealership had a legit 30.06 sign by the entrance. It was big - as specified.

The other day, it was replaced by a nonlegit one on computer paper. Hmm!

So I asked a salesman why they had it - scared of legit Texans? He said he had no idea - sounded like a dodge.

I see the legit signs on big medical installations - hospitals, etc.

Lord
12-04-2011, 11:59
Interesting little games in TX. A car dealership had a legit 30.06 sign by the entrance. It was big - as specified.

The other day, it was replaced by a nonlegit one on computer paper. Hmm!

So I asked a salesman why they had it - scared of legit Texans? He said he had no idea - sounded like a dodge.

I see the legit signs on big medical installations - hospitals, etc.

Used to be hospitals, churches and a few others were no carry zones by default, but then the law changed and now hospitals and other places are still mentioned in the law, but it says they must prominently display 30.06.
I've seen the little card signs you're talking about. Specifically, I saw one at Taco cabana. It's smaller than a standard sheet of paper, and it's got the correct verbiage. It has black letters on a white background.... but the entire sign is about 4-6 inches tall... the letters themselves MAY be about a quarter inch high. My friend and I were going there for lunch and had a pretty brief debate on whether or not it applies to us... ultimately we ignored it.

smokin762
12-04-2011, 12:04
When the CCW Law went into effect here in Ohio, I saw a lot of “No Firearms” signs go up where I live. It’s a pretty much a conservative area too, I didn’t see that one coming.:headscratch:

Luckily, competing business did not put up the “No Firearms” signs. Some of the other stores eventually took the signs off the doors but some did not. I just don’t spend my money in those stores.

My daughter lives with her mother. They live 45 miles away from me and it is a very liberal part of the state. To this day, I have not seen one “No Firearms” signs in any of the business’s windows there.:crazy:

Goldenboy007
12-04-2011, 12:12
I dont go to Pf Changs because they serve overpriced faux Chinese food. now there is another reason to avoid the place.

Glenn E. Meyer
12-04-2011, 12:44
Taco Cabanas around here ditched even those out of compliance signs.

The local AAA office has a sign saying no Guns - except for CHLs. :supergrin:

LGS - no loaded guns except that CHLs need to keep your gun concealed!

Nords
12-04-2011, 12:56
Yes, prevalence of signs is going down here in MN as time passes and people realize the sky isn't falling. Or polite gun owners speak to managers ;)

Lee-online
12-04-2011, 17:16
I have never seen a No Firearms sign at any business here in PA.

mike1956
12-04-2011, 17:18
I have never seen a No Firearms sign at any business here in PA.
They do not have the force of law in PA, except in areas already prohibited by statute.

mike1956
12-04-2011, 17:21
Actually, more have appeared here since the bar/restaurant carry ban was lifted. My favorite eatery, the Shovel Lounge in Marion just put up handwritten "no guns allowed" signs on the doors yesterday, after an unhappy incident Friday.

huggytree
12-04-2011, 17:41
should i open the door and yell inside for the manager?? i cant go inside to tell him because im armed...

im too lazy to turn it into a 15 min project....i dont want to go back to my car to disarm and then go inside just to tell them im not shopping there...then go back to the car to rearm and drive away.

i think my wife was annoyed with me about the PF Changs ordeal...we were cold and very hungry....i refuse to give my money to anyone who wants me disarmed...

HerrGlock
12-04-2011, 17:45
im too lazy to turn it into a 15 min project.

Then it will never change.

smokin762
12-04-2011, 17:45
Actually, more have appeared here since the bar/restaurant carry ban was lifted. My favorite eatery, the Shovel Lounge in Marion just put up handwritten "no guns allowed" signs on the doors yesterday, after an unhappy incident Friday.

Their stand never changed in the first place. They just didn’t need to put a sign in the window because of how the CCW law was written. It was very clear.

Before the law changed, those restaurants that served alcohol knew you were not allowed to CCW inside them and they knew you as a licensed CCW carrier knew you were not allowed to be armed in their establishment also.

Now they have to show their hand. I will take my business elsewhere.:cool:

Jeffco
12-04-2011, 17:58
Huggy:

I've had my Missouri CCP for five years or so and I don't see many signs anymore. I still see a few "non-compliant" signs which I promptly ignore if I need to need to go in store.

harrygunner
12-05-2011, 00:03
Some realize that flawed thinking leads to posting. Especially if it is pointed out to them that signs add nothing to safety and may cause some customers to spend their money elsewhere.

One example, in 2007 there was a sign on Cecil's store in South Lake Tahoe, California. That county properly distributes CCW permits without the left-coast mental deficiency some California counties have. I'm sure they received an earful about that sign. I rarely go to that town, but I was there a couple of weeks ago. The sign was gone.

EAJuggalo
12-05-2011, 07:39
Huggy, one of the big differences between your law and other states is that signs in WI carry the weight of law. In 2003 a lot of business owners put up signs in MN as soon as the law went into effect, at that point permit holders could go in and speak with the owner/manager without risking charges, the worst the employees could do is demand the permit holder leave. Call, send letters and go into some of these places unarmed to speak with those in charge. IIRC you're in the SE part of the state so I wouldn't expect all of the signs to come down but some of them should. In the downtowns of Minneapolis and St. Paul about half the buildings are posted in some manner and about 95% are non-compliant.

TKOFaith
12-05-2011, 12:02
My favorite eatery, the Shovel Lounge in Marion just put up handwritten "no guns allowed" signs on the doors yesterday, after an unhappy incident Friday.

Do tell....:wiggle:

Donn57
12-05-2011, 13:20
Florida has one of the oldest shall issue laws on the books and I've had my permit for just as long. I've only ever seen one sign and that was at one of our local Lowes stores. It didn't stay up for very long. Of course, the signs have no legal weight in Florida, so that may be why they aren't seen.

coonracing18
12-05-2011, 14:49
in MI ive only seen jsut a handful of signs...however my CCW instructor and the lawyer that was present for the class said its only the owner of the business' reccomendation....meaning that if an employee of the buisness sees you and asks you to leave, than u have to leave...however if you carry concealed into that buisness who is going to see it? perfectly legal according to state law, what they dont see wont hurt em!

aztnb
12-05-2011, 16:22
here in AZ there are a lot of places with these signs.

Ticman
12-05-2011, 17:54
You could also encourge them to just change the sign to no illegal weapons. Explain that CWP holders are not the problem, it's the illegal ones that are the problem.

Might be a good compromise.

kensteele
12-05-2011, 18:40
in my area, i have noticed signs come down over time.