Do I need a left-handed AR action? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Do I need a left-handed AR action?

Green Dragoon
12-04-2011, 08:45
Hello All;
I hope you can advise. I'm left handed and have never fired any AR variant. If I'm looking to buy one, should I look for a left-handed action?

For obvious reasons, they are tough to come by in a store, so I would have to order one.

Thanks in advance for your help.

MedicOni
12-04-2011, 08:54
I can shoot a right handed AR just fine. Especially since you can get controls on the proper side (yes, us lefties are in our right mind and therefor do things correctly :P) without a problem. The only rifles I have to get a dedicated left handed version to use comfortably are bullpups (mainly cause the way brass usually ejects on bullpups with the exception of the FN bullpups) and bolts

jem375
12-04-2011, 09:09
If you want a lefty, buy it.. I have a lefty DPMS SS 20" bull barrel AR and it is my coyote rifle and very accurate. I have righties also but there is no reason that a left handed shooter not to have a lefty if he or she wants them..

Gunnut 45/454
12-04-2011, 09:11
I trained in the military to shoot both right and left handed! So yes you can shoot it left handed thats why there's a brass deflector on them. The only thing you should wear glasses as you'll get a puff of gas from the bolt!:supergrin:

JBnTX
12-04-2011, 09:12
I'm left handed and I've been shooting AR-15 type rifles since basic training
in 1971. Right now I have five AR's that I shoot on a regular basis.

I've never had any trouble firing an AR-15/M-16 left handed whatsoever!

I think left handed AR type rifles are a gimmick, designed to squeeze a few
more dollars from the left handed shooter. I wouldn't own one.

alwaysshootin
12-04-2011, 09:23

Just as are most left handed firearms. Shot right handed bolt guns for so long, that when I spent extra to get one LHed, it was actually more cumbersome to work the bolt, Go figure.:dunno:

Myself, best friend, and a brother in law, all left handed, have no problem, whatsoever, shooting an AR in it's right handed configuration!

raven11
12-04-2011, 09:36
like one of the poster above I shot right handed M-16 in boot and my career and I didn't have any problem with brass in the face

I suggest you try a right handed AR out and if it bothers you then get a left handed one

Breadman03
12-04-2011, 10:05
I can shoot a righty AR equally well left or right handed. Just make sure that the upper has the brass deflector behind the ejection port and you'll have no problem.

michael e
12-04-2011, 10:28
Nope, I didn't have it as an option when I started shooting, so I just learned to work it . Only gun I own that is setup lefty is my bolt action 270, wanted a rem 870 lh for a while but could never locate one, and want to add a bolt action 22. If you want one then get it but it is not an issue using a right handed one.

BBJones
12-04-2011, 11:45
I'm left handed and I've been shooting AR-15 type rifles since basic training
in 1971. Right now I have five AR's that I shoot on a regular basis.

I've never had any trouble firing an AR-15/M-16 left handed whatsoever!

good post.

I am right handed but shoot all long guns predominantly LH (very left eye dominant). Buying a LH AR is a total waste of money IMO. I have 0 problems shooting AR's LH.

If you desire some ambi-controls on your AR, there are plenty of options now. Usefulness in order; Ambi-safety, BAD type device, ambi-charging handle. I would use a ambi-safety and BAD even if I shot RH so its not like they are exclusively for LH's (in fact LH shooters use BAD levers in a completely different manner than RH shooters).

whitebread
12-04-2011, 11:54
Most carbine courses teach you to shoot both left and right handed (with a right handed gun)...I don't see why you couldn't use a standard gun to shoot lefty all the time rather than just 1/4 the time.

MrMurphy
12-04-2011, 12:28
Never had an issue shooting them lefty, even in some pretty weird positions like bent over aiming under a vehicle.

Green Dragoon
12-04-2011, 14:25
thanks all for your replies....very insightful. As a junior shooter in the 1970's, I shot a left handed Anschutz bolt .22. As well, I have a left handed Rem 700.

I'm enthused that many of you feel the AR action doesn't have to be left handed. I do know a range that will rent a right handed one to me for range time. I'll give it a run.

Thanks again.

Cole125
12-04-2011, 15:42
Negative. I am a left hander and I have no problem shooting regular ARs, never have issues with brass hitting me, gas in my eyes, ect.

One very bad thing about left handed ARs is limited parts availability of the bolt and BCG. Plus they just look wrong.

Green Dragoon
12-04-2011, 15:56
One very bad thing about left handed ARs is limited parts availability of the bolt and BCG. Plus they just look wrong.

EXCELLENT point. I appreciate it.