Load Data - On Line Info [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Load Data - On Line Info

Murphy's Law
12-04-2011, 12:24
I posed this question on another forum but think the audience might be bigger here. Anyhow, can anyone tell me if signing up for "load data" (on-line service) is worth the expense? I have many reloading books but wonder if the on-line data really covers all the bases on various calibers, powders, bullet weights, etc that makes the price worthwhile for a yearly cost. What ya think?

TN.Frank
12-04-2011, 12:29
I've always been able to find free sites or get loading info form forum members or the books that I have. Don't see the need to actually spend money on a web site based loading site.

F106 Fan
12-04-2011, 13:12
I don't think a lot of Internet loading data. I want to see it in a manufacturer's book or online database. I want to be able to point at the printed table and say "See? It says so right here...".

I don't shoot any wildcat calibers. It's just the boring .308, .223, 6.5x284 NORMA, .45 ACP and 9mm. Now, the 6.5 is a little bit of a challenge and I admit to 'reading' about loads on 6mmbr.com but, so far, I am using data from the Sierra manual. For the others, there is a TON of information in various printed manuals.

Those who do shoot wildcat calibers are in a tough spot. It pretty much will be a matter of working up loads (slowly) while watching for signs of overpressure. Word of mouth (and maybe the Internet) may be the only way to get data.

I'm pretty sure I won't be paying for data from sources I don't know.

Richard

Three-Five-Seven
12-04-2011, 17:22
I use the Speer, Hornady, Lyman, and Accurate Arms Manuals. But, the best information usual exists on the Hodgdon website. Many of the new, Hodgdon, Extreme powders are only well documented on the Hodgdon site.

VitaVouhri also has a good site if you speak metric.

snowwdog
12-04-2011, 19:25
ya that about covers it. if your shooting normal loads to many free sources of info. If your wildcatting it then it might be worth it. I have many books that i paid for so that i can compare. Dont think you will get that from one pay site, but it could be valuable as a second source just like a second book.

Murphy's Law
12-05-2011, 06:31
Appreciate the feedback guys.. thanks

steve4102
12-05-2011, 07:39
LoadData.com was a great resource up until a few weeks ago. They had load data from every source imaginable including all the Bullet manufactures, Hornady, Speer, Lyman, Sierra, Nosler, etc. A few weeks ago Hornady and Sierra's load data was removed at their request. They wanted more $$ to have their load data on-line. It's my understanding that LoadData is trying to have Sierra and Hornady return.

D. Manley
12-05-2011, 11:11
LoadData.com was a great resource up until a few weeks ago. They had load data from every source imaginable including all the Bullet manufactures, Hornady, Speer, Lyman, Sierra, Nosler, etc. A few weeks ago Hornady and Sierra's load data was removed at their request. They wanted more $$ to have their load data on-line. It's my understanding that LoadData is trying to have Sierra and Hornady return.

I had not checked the site for quite a while but found yesterday that some data was missing. I found Speer & Lyman was still there on the calibers | weights I checked but as you said, Sierra, Nosler, Hornady missing for sure. Too bad.

Colorado4Wheel
12-05-2011, 13:22
I posed this question on another forum but think the audience might be bigger here. Anyhow, can anyone tell me if signing up for "load data" (on-line service) is worth the expense? I have many reloading books but wonder if the on-line data really covers all the bases on various calibers, powders, bullet weights, etc that makes the price worthwhile for a yearly cost. What ya think?

I have never used the site. So take this with a huge grain of salt.

BUT

If you want a bunch or Random, Unreferenced (but you can usually find the data elsewhere), usually reliable (never not been able to confirm it as good), reloading data just buy the Lee Book.

Murphy's Law
12-05-2011, 14:31
4W ... As noted in my first thread, I have lots of reloading books. Was just curious was it advantageous to have it all consolidated in one source and that source being in data that can be sorted, printed, etc. However from the last few feedbacks, I guess "Load Data" has some big time issues right now so think I'll stay under the radar for now.

Colorado4Wheel
12-05-2011, 15:14
4W ... As noted in my first thread, I have lots of reloading books. Was just curious was it advantageous to have it all consolidated in one source and that source being in data that can be sorted, printed, etc. However from the last few feedbacks, I guess "Load Data" has some big time issues right now so think I'll stay under the radar for now.

Your basically describing the Lee book in my opinion. It's got a ton of data in it. It's from lot of different sources is is kinda a hog-podge of info. I like that it has volume (cc) comparison as well.

IndyGunFreak
12-05-2011, 15:19
http://handloads.com/loaddata/default.asp

Most of that, is simply a compilation of data from powder manufacturers. However, some of it is user submitted, so pay attention. Loads that are user submitted are pretty well marked.

It's still good to verify the above info w/ a manual or two.

D. Manley
12-05-2011, 15:22
I have never used the site. So take this with a huge grain of salt.

BUT

If you want a bunch or Random, Unreferenced (but you can usually find the data elsewhere), usually reliable (never not been able to confirm it as good), reloading data just buy the Lee Book.

For C4W, this is not random or unreferenced data. In the past, this has been loading data by source from Sierra, Nosler, Hornady, Barnes, Lyman, Oregon Trail and virtually every other published source in print. They also have data from a few unique sources such as, Handloader Magazine. When you do a load search it's by caliber, bullet weight and if you so choose, powder. The results are not listed "en masse" but rather by the publishing source for that particular data, i.e., Speer, Ramshot Powder, Lyman, etc. In other words, if you want only Lyman's data for a particular bullet & caliber, you can view/print that data only.

What they do not provide is basic reloading tutorials but overall, a terrific resource for a reasonable price. The option to view selected data in normal HTML view or a B/W "printer" view is also nice. I emailed them to see what was up with the missing data and below is the text of the reply I promptly received.

Nosler data is still on the site. It is labeled using Nosler bullets. This data came from them. Sierra is gone. They decided they wanted their data to stay in house with them. Hornady and LoadData.com are currently working on a new agreement. Of course as we grow they want more and more money from us. We are doing our best to keep that down so we can keep costs down to our subscribers.

If we can not come to an agreement with Hornady or Sierra, we will just shoot the data ourselves. If we do this it becomes ours and we can post it online. It will take some time to shoot all this data but we will get it done and back online.

Even without these sources we have over 200,000 loads online and we continue to add content to the site daily.

Please email us if you have any further questions.

DWARREN123
12-05-2011, 21:47
I would have to say it would depend on how many diiferent calibers you reload.
If not many I have to say no, the info can be found for free with a little searching on the internet.
For many different calibers it may make it easier on you and be worth while. :supergrin:

D. Manley
12-05-2011, 22:15
I would have to say it would depend on how many diiferent calibers you reload.
If not many I have to say no, the info can be found for free with a little searching on the internet.
For many different calibers it may make it easier on you and be worth while. :supergrin:

Actually, the freely available data from powder companies, etc. is often with generic bullets (weight only) or, with other limited information. By having access to ALL information, you have just that...all that's available in print regardless, of the source. As example, Sierra has some unique bullet weights with limited data available from other sources but in their manual is an extensive amount of load data for each. I don't know if I'll continue with LoadData unless the lost vendor data is resolved or replaced but in the past, it was great. I have most versions of most manuals but keep them in my shop with my reloading setups. Nice to have a 1-spot resource on my computer from home but, we'll see.

robin303
12-06-2011, 20:13
I tried it out for just one year. I printed out everything I wanted but did not renew.

wdphillips
12-08-2011, 10:16
I have never subscribed to load-data, but I have thought about it.

When I am working up a load I use every source I can find, load books, internet, forums, powder manufactures, bullet manufactures, experts (like Jack!), etc. Then I use my brain to decide what I think I should do. Make a few, shoot a few, and re-iterate the process. This is what I love the most about reloading!

If I had a subscription I would use it.

BTW the information on this forum is tremendously valuable and free. IMHO that is why this particular forum is so popular.