Hornady One Shot [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Hornady One Shot

F106 Fan
12-04-2011, 13:04
Last night I was reloading with unlubricated cases. Some of them must have come from a Glock and resizing sometimes took both hands.

So, today, I decided to try some of the Hornady One Shot I had purchased for some reason or another. I dumped about 300 cases in a plastic box and sprayed the lube over everything. I shook the box a little bit and then waited for the cases to dry. No, I didn't mount the cases in a reloading block and spray at a 45 degree angle.

Magnificent! The brass didn't resize itself but it was a WHOLE LOT easier to operate the press. It is easy to keep up the pace when there isn't much effort.

Now what? Removing the lube with a towel probably isn't happening. Has anyone just tumbled the loaded rounds? I know I have done that for rifle shells with Dillon lube and it seemed to work out.

Richard

XDRoX
12-04-2011, 13:36
You're preaching to the choir around these parts. Most these old men need a can or two of lube just to load over 100 rounds in one sitting. :rofl:

But to answer your question, One Shot does not need to be cleaned off. I just shoot the rounds. But if you do want the lube off, tumbling for a few minutes will work also.

bmoore
12-04-2011, 13:41
My dad likes one shot for pistol rounds but that stuff strait sucks out loud for rifle rounds. I tried it reloading a bunch of 223 for my AR. You have to use way more than what should be used to prevent stuck cases. RCBS case slick is night and day better, just a mist is all it takes.

F106 Fan
12-04-2011, 14:03
You're preaching to the choir around these parts. Most these old men need a can or two of lube just to load over 100 rounds in one sitting. :rofl:

But to answer your question, One Shot does not need to be cleaned off. I just shoot the rounds. But if you do want the lube off, tumbling for a few minutes will work also.

Hey, I'm one of those old men!

I'm all for taking steps out of the process. If the rounds will shoot without gumming up the works, that's what I will do. Worst case, I have to tumble the remainder.

Thanks!

Richard

XDRoX
12-04-2011, 14:38
Hey, I'm one of those old men!

I'm all for taking steps out of the process. If the rounds will shoot without gumming up the works, that's what I will do. Worst case, I have to tumble the remainder.

Thanks!

Richard

Ya, I'm pretty sure Hornady advertises that the cases are safe to shoot without cleaning. I do know that I shoot them without cleaning and have never had a problem.

Black&TAN
12-04-2011, 14:46
Great stuff, no mess, no fuss. No need to wipe when dry.

I like to use a plastic bag, a dose of One Shot, and shake the brass in it for a nice quick coat.

sent via Tapatalk

MinervaDoe
12-04-2011, 15:19
Ya, I'm pretty sure Hornady advertises that the cases are safe to shoot without cleaning. I do know that I shoot them without cleaning and have never had a problem.
+1
I never clean the cases. I have carbide dies. Sometimes, I'll use a q-tip to clean the dies with Liquid Wrench Silicon Spray. I squirt the spray into the cap for the can, stick the q-tip in the liquid, and use the q-tip to clean the dies. ... seems to work.

WiskyT
12-04-2011, 15:46
Pledge works well too. Take about 1/3 of the cases and give them a very brief shot of Pledge. Mix them in with the unlubed cases and you're good to go. Don't worry about any of the Pledge that gets inside the case as it doesn't matter. I don't bother to clean it off and my ammo is lemony fresh. Make sure you use plain old Pledge. They had one that claimed "no wax" and it was useless.

F106 Fan
12-04-2011, 16:05
Shaking the brass in a plastic bag seems like a better way of doing things than my plastic box. For one thing, the brass is already in plastic bags. I put them in bags when I take them out of the tumbler. There is no good reason for doing that but it keeps them clean.

As to using Pledge: I had never heard of that. I wonder if I can just squirt the Pledge on top of the brass in the case feeder? It wouldn't get much easier than that!

Richard

WiskyT
12-04-2011, 16:16
Shaking the brass in a plastic bag seems like a better way of doing things than my plastic box. For one thing, the brass is already in plastic bags. I put them in bags when I take them out of the tumbler. There is no good reason for doing that but it keeps them clean.

As to using Pledge: I had never heard of that. I wonder if I can just squirt the Pledge on top of the brass in the case feeder? It wouldn't get much easier than that!

Richard

I don't know if I'd want to get it into the casefeeder. I guess it couldn't hamr anything, it's just wax and a volatile solvent. Just remember, a little dab will do ya.

unclebob
12-04-2011, 18:26
Last night I was reloading with unlubricated cases. Some of them must have come from a Glock and resizing sometimes took both hands.

So, today, I decided to try some of the Hornady One Shot I had purchased for some reason or another. I dumped about 300 cases in a plastic box and sprayed the lube over everything. I shook the box a little bit and then waited for the cases to dry. No, I didn't mount the cases in a reloading block and spray at a 45 degree angle.

Magnificent! The brass didn't resize itself but it was a WHOLE LOT easier to operate the press. It is easy to keep up the pace when there isn't much effort.

Now what? Removing the lube with a towel probably isn't happening. Has anyone just tumbled the loaded rounds? I know I have done that for rifle shells with Dillon lube and it seemed to work out.

Richard

Are you sure you were not trying to reload steel cases?

F106 Fan
12-04-2011, 18:42
Are you sure you were not trying to reload steel cases?

Pretty sure! All the cases were a pretty brass color; they certainly weren't grey.

But on reflection, no, I'm not sure. It all looked the same to me when it came out of the tumbler but I suppose it is possible I ran across some brass plated steel. I sure didn't test it with a magnet.

I was getting tired. All of the brass felt the same and I KNOW that at least 1000 rounds are once-fired Starline because they are the ones I bought new.

I'm leaning toward the loose Glock chamber excuse. Some of the brass was from my Colt Combat Government and some was from my Sig but the Glock stuff was well represented. A thousand once-fired cases came from centerfirebrass.com and it might have been a good idea to check them with a magnet.

I was loading more of the brass today and, having lubed it, the handle was a LOT easier to pull.

Richard

F106 Fan
12-04-2011, 18:44
I don't know if I'd want to get it into the casefeeder. I guess it couldn't hamr anything, it's just wax and a volatile solvent. Just remember, a little dab will do ya.

It's going to get in the casefeeder anyway.

Richard

unclebob
12-04-2011, 18:57
There is brass colored still cases out there. That is why I have a magnet in my casefeeder to catch any that might slip by. All of my bass is fired out of a Glock and I can size without lube using two fingers. Even loading 45acp on the LCT without lube is no problem, and those brass are out of a Glock also. And the age thing Iím 65.

Murphy's Law
12-05-2011, 06:44
I've been using the HOS and baggie trick for a very long time even though all my dies are carbide. I still however after assembling my ammo, I always wipe the cartridge off with a rag soaked in alcohol. Doesn't take a minute or so to clean through a couple hundred or so.

ALBin517
12-05-2011, 06:47
Brian Enos is a proponent of One Shot.

I usually One Shot right after cleaning. So they are plenty dry (but lubed) when I reload.

GhettoSmack
12-05-2011, 09:13
I have only used Hornady One Shot in the 6yrs I've been reloading. Never wiped the cases after loading them. Never had a problem going bang or with performance. I put all the cleaned cases in a box, spray One Shot on top, shake and mix. Leave to dry. A LOT easier to load in the press.

Occasionally, I will spray some One Shot in the case loader (Dillon XL650) if the cases are sticking. Toss the cases a little, then keep loading. Little to no sticking afterwards.

rpgman
12-05-2011, 09:35
I have only used Hornady One Shot in the 6yrs I've been reloading. Never wiped the cases after loading them. Never had a problem going bang or with performance. I put all the cleaned cases in a box, spray One Shot on top, shake and mix. Leave to dry. A LOT easier to load in the press.

Occasionally, I will spray some One Shot in the case loader (Dillon XL650) if the cases are sticking. Toss the cases a little, then keep loading. Little to no sticking afterwards.

you mean in the auto feeder or just the plastic see through tube on the xl650?

DoctaGlockta
12-05-2011, 09:46
I use it once in a while for pistol.

223 sometimes but for rifle I just usually use my Unique lube and my fingers.

HOS does make pistol fly through the sizing dies though.

I almost always tumble my loaded rounds so residual lube is never an issue.

freakshow10mm
12-05-2011, 10:39
HOS is OK for pistol. I just tumble off.

HOS is horrible for rifle.

GioaJack
12-05-2011, 11:29
Bunch'a flatlander wussies. Just pull the damn handle and commence to loadin'.

Save the lube for more intimate projects.

Jack

freakshow10mm
12-05-2011, 11:50
Stroking a press seems pretty intimate, Jack.

Zombie Steve
12-05-2011, 11:52
Bunch'a flatlander wussies. Just pull the damn handle and commence to loadin'.

Save the lube for more intimate projects.

Jack

:goodpost:

SJ 40
12-05-2011, 11:59
I used to use HOS but find Dillions case lube works just as well and is more economical. SJ 40

Colorado4Wheel
12-05-2011, 13:36
I use Lee Lube (the small tube), mixed with a 12-16oz bottle of 99% alcohol (72% works, just takes a lot longer to dry). I spray the inside of a plastic bag twice and then roll a bunch of brass inside. It then goes in a bin to be used later. It does not gum up the inside of the casefeeder. It does not need to be removed. You would be very hard pressed to even know it was once on the case after you load the ammo. It's totally dry to the touch. It's a pita to mix, it's cheap, it works perfectly. That's a combo I can live with.

ron59
12-05-2011, 14:57
I use Lee Lube (the small tube), mixed with a 12-16oz bottle of 99% alcohol (72% works, just takes a lot longer to dry). I spray the inside of a plastic bag twice and then roll a bunch of brass inside. It then goes in a bin to be used later. It does not gum up the inside of the casefeeder. It does not need to be removed. You would be very hard pressed to even know it was once on the case after you load the ammo. It's totally dry to the touch. It's a pita to mix, it's cheap, it works perfectly. That's a combo I can live with.

This.

I tried this, love it. I don't bother with 9mm, IMHO it sizes pretty easily. For me, .45ACP is the pain. I followed Steve's recipe, just spray into a bag and shake brass around, then I pour out onto a towel. In 5 minutes or so, it's totally dry. No greasy feel, no detectable residue, maybe just the lightest chalky appearance. By the time it goes through all 4 dies... nothing. Makes the sizing process smooth as butter.

Love it.

fredj338
12-05-2011, 17:18

Richard

I know some tumble ammo, but not me, just feels odd. So if you want to remove the OneShot, just dump the rounds into an old terry towel & rub them around a bit. The lube is dry & comes right off.

Magelk
12-05-2011, 19:02

I do the same thing but instead of lee lube, I use lanolin.

EL_NinO619
12-05-2011, 19:31
I go through Hornady one shot like jack goes through women. It works as advertised on anything .223 and below. Above .223 you will get stuck casses, I use the good ol RCBS lube and pad. Oh ya save your money and never order a RCBS lube die, what a complete waste of money... Putting it on FleaBay soon.

dougader
12-07-2011, 23:07
I never used lube for loading pistol calibers until a few months ago. I never saw the need, even with arthritis, bursitis, and all kinds of back and neck problems. I load 25 auto, 32 mag, 327 mag, (sold all the 380 auto brass and dies) 9mm, 9x23, 38 special, 357 mag, 44 mag (with my brother-in-law's dies), 45 auto, 45 Colt, 454 Casull and now the 44 special. A few months before that I had picked up a set of 44 special dies from a guy off the Ruger forum and set them aside, knowing I was going to pick up one of the new Ruger 44 special "flat top" revolvers.

Well, I started resizing some cases a friend sent to me while I was waiting for my order of new Starline brass to come in. Dang, it was sure hard to size that brass. I must have sized 5 or 6 cases before I decided it was just taking too much effort. I then remembered reading here, and on other forums, about guys who always used lube even with their carbide dies. So I grabbed the old can of One Shot and hit the 44 specials with a couple sprays.

I started resizing cases again and it was great. Hardly any effort at all to size those cases. It was then that I looked at the box for the dies and realized something: I had, for the first time in some 25+ years of handloading, bought regular steel (NOT carbide) pistol dies. :upeyes:

I was lucky to have not stuck one of those cases in my size die. :wow:

I have used the One shot on 223 cases with good results. I can't remember if I used it with 30-06 or other bottle neck rifles cases or not... could have been the old Lee lube mentioned above.

I'm tempted to try Colorado's recipe with the 99% alcohol and Lee lube. Is that rubbing alcohol?? The Pledge sounds interesting as well.

wdphillips
12-08-2011, 07:24
About a month ago I was getting ready to load up about 1000 .223 so I knew I needed some lube.

I was on the Ultimate Reloader and noticed he had a poll on lube that people use. Hornady One Shot was by far the most popular.

I bought one can. Still using it and loading my .223s has been a breeze. I did take the time to load them in a tray and spray them. Putting the brass in a tray gives me a chance to check my brass for problems.

I usually wipe my finished rounds down with a rag. Again it gives me a chance to check for cracks, high primers, etc. But I have shot them with out wiping them down. No problems either way.

The stuff worked for me!

I have seen Colorado4Wheel's formula with Lee Lube several times. I really need to try that one. Can I use methanol instead of alcohol? I buy methanol by the 55gal drum!

Colorado4Wheel
12-08-2011, 08:11
I have seen Colorado4Wheel's formula with Lee Lube several times. I really need to try that one. Can I use methanol instead of alcohol? I buy methanol by the 55gal drum!

The formula I use on on the tube as well. The guys at Lee like me so much they put my hard work in their books and on their products. :whistling:

dougader
12-08-2011, 15:25
But what kind of alcohol do you use?

Boxerglocker
12-08-2011, 16:12
I always use One Shot, just a very light spray for pistol. A little more liberal for rifle.

PCJim
12-08-2011, 17:11

The old formula called for 99% Isopropyl / rubbing alcohol. 91% will work, but doesn't dissolve the lanolin (lube) or keep it suspended as well as the 99%. The ratio is 4oz liquid lanolin to 16oz 99% isopropyl alcohol

I am about out of my Dillon spray lube, which is the same stuff. I ordered both from Amazon as I couldn't find either locally.

There are a bunch of home formulas available for lubes, bore cleaners, casting lube, etc. Google "Ed's Red" or "homemade case lube" and the websites will usually have a whole listing of tried and true home brews that work.

Colorado4Wheel
12-08-2011, 19:14

For the Lee formula you can use any rubbing alcohol. But the 99% stuff is much nicer. Suspends the stuff much better. Dries much faster. Check your local drug stores.

ColoCG
12-10-2011, 10:06
I go through Hornady one shot like jack goes through women. It works as advertised on anything .223 and below. Above .223 you will get stuck casses, I use the good ol RCBS lube and pad. Oh ya save your money and never order a RCBS lube die, what a complete waste of money... Putting it on FleaBay soon.

I've used it on many larger caliber rifle cases up to .338mag. with no problem. You do have to make sure that the can is shaken well before using and allowed to dry before sizing. Works great no problem.

dougader
12-10-2011, 23:16
All the stuff I see here is 70% isopropyl alcohol... the search begins.

unclebob
12-11-2011, 08:07
All the stuff I see here is 70% isopropyl alcohol... the search begins.

Join the club I have gone to every grocery store, Ace Hardware, pharmacies, Wal-Mart, Kmart. In this town and all I can find is 91%. Even asked my granddaughter who lives in Colorado Springs to look, but of course she waited until she was just about to leave and only went to one Safeway and of course they did not have the 97%. You can buy it on line but itís like 1.00 for the alcohol and 10.00 for the shipping.

WiskyT
12-11-2011, 10:34
Join the club I have gone to every grocery store, Ace Hardware, pharmacies, Wal-Mart, Kmart. In this town and all I can find is 91%. Even asked my granddaughter who lives in Colorado Springs to look, but of course she waited until she was just about to leave and only went to one Safeway and of course they did not have the 97%. You can buy it on line but itís like 1.00 for the alcohol and 10.00 for the shipping.

I wonder if the pharmacist has it behind the counter.

njl
12-11-2011, 19:06
Wal-Mart carries the stronger (90something %) isopropyl.

tjpet
12-11-2011, 19:48
I'm surprised some folks here don't find HOS suitable for resizing rifle cases. I just resized 40 .416 Rigby cases yesterday afternoon and they slid through the RCBS FL die effortlessly. A minimal amount of lube was used.

For the uninitiated the Rigby uses one of the largest commercial cases available.

Sheep
12-15-2011, 09:50
Are there any 'build up' issues using HOS?? Will it gum up in the dies or casefeeder??

Boxerglocker
12-15-2011, 09:58
Are there any 'build up' issues using HOS?? Will it gum up in the dies or casefeeder??

I haven't experienced any unusual build up. Though I'm pretty thorough in cleaning my press dies every couple thousand rounds and wipe out my care feeder bowl, plate with a simple green 1 to 10 solution and clean shop towel.

oldsoldier
02-27-2012, 18:33
I've used 1 part pure liquid lanolin to 4 or 5 parts alcohol for years. I mix it in an old Windex spray bottle. The 99% alcohol is best and I use to get both at a local natural health food/natural beauty product store that has closed down. You might try one of those stores if they are in your area. Now I have to drive about 25 miles to find the lanolin and all I can get is 91% alcohol. It still works though.

fredj338
02-27-2012, 18:54

I have no issues w/ 308 but it feels marginal to me. So for my bigger cases, I go RCBS lube pad.

spookmagnet
02-28-2012, 21:30
Spray lubes (even HOS) are ok for pistol. For everything bigger than a 218 Bee:http://i609.photobucket.com/albums/tt174/armarsh/imperial.jpg
:rock:

scattershot
02-28-2012, 22:37
I use both Hornady and Dillon lube. Neither leaves a residue, and the rounds don't need any further cleaning.