Chest rig/War Belt. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Chest rig/War Belt.

Fwdftw
12-04-2011, 13:18
So ive recently picked up a SOE Mookie War Rig Light.. From John @ OriginalSOEgear.com Great quality gear but.. to be honest.. i think its to much kit for me.. lol Idk im just a normal guy but wanting to take some classes in the future.. hence the purchase. Here is the set up i have, 8 Mag Carrier with PALS webbing on each sides http://www.beauty-video-tutorial.com/img/2e/2ef/Original_Soe_Gear_OSOE_Mookie_War_Rig_Lite_MWL_.jpg

Possibly thinking about a war belt , or maybe a different rig.. wanting at the most a 6 mag set up.. maybe 4 with some room for other things. Im basically just looking to see what you guys over here are running in your classes? or basic range trips when running drills. Whatcha got for me fellow black riflers!:wavey:

Facejackets
12-04-2011, 13:25
Damn bro, six mags on the belt for classes?

I would go with two or three. Then keep your extra mags in a bag behind the firing line somewhere.

Fwdftw
12-04-2011, 13:32
yea like i said man, new to this and a friend had that pieice of kit alrdy and it seemed like a great idea at the time lol

MrMurphy
12-04-2011, 13:32
Personally, i run a standard 210-round loadout (six+1 in the gun) simply because it's what I'm used to.

four on the belt, one in the gun will generally suffice for most classes and matches. OSOE makes some excellent gear (he has done a small custom piece for me) but the Mookie rig is overkill for anyone except infantrymen in most cases.

a Tactical Tailor Mini-MAV or 2piece MAV with a pair of mag pouches, a general-purpose pouch and maybe a pistol mag pouch would do for most things.

Currently I run a 1 piece MAV, 3 2-mag pouches, a GP pouch, pistol mag and a dump pouch, but again, my experiences and needs differ, this is replicating what I carried active duty except the dump pouch, so there's no thought involved for me in 'where's my stuff'. It's probably a little overkill, and I don't always have six mags on me, but the capability is there if needed.

Facejackets
12-04-2011, 15:59
Personally, i run a standard 210-round loadout (six+1 in the gun) simply because it's what I'm used to.

four on the belt, one in the gun will generally suffice for most classes and matches. OSOE makes some excellent gear (he has done a small custom piece for me) but the Mookie rig is overkill for anyone except infantrymen in most cases.

a Tactical Tailor Mini-MAV or 2piece MAV with a pair of mag pouches, a general-purpose pouch and maybe a pistol mag pouch would do for most things.

Currently I run a 1 piece MAV, 3 2-mag pouches, a GP pouch, pistol mag and a dump pouch, but again, my experiences and needs differ, this is replicating what I carried active duty except the dump pouch, so there's no thought involved for me in 'where's my stuff'. It's probably a little overkill, and I don't always have six mags on me, but the capability is there if needed.

Are you/were you .mil or LE? That would make sense then. Since him and I are civilians, that's a lot of kit (read:****) to be dragging around. My last set up was just a duty belt with mag pouches and a holster. It made it super easy to get on and off. I also used a drop leg MOLLE panel with a triple AR mag pouch on it for a rifle class once and really liked it alot.

I'm not a huge fan of cheat rigs personally, but I am very interested in the BCM rig, and a few others similar.

jwhite75
12-04-2011, 16:50
I have researched and personally like this one for a battle belt.

http://www.vikingtactics.com/belts_brokos.html

MrMurphy
12-04-2011, 18:43
I was USAF Security Forces, so yes, i used to carry a lot of crap.

The Brokos belt is a good basic warbelt. If you just need some mags, a first aid kit, etc, it's awesome.

Chest rigs are good for fighting and carrying your crap all day. The BCM rig is excellent, I know the guy who created it.

Dropleg rigs tend to suck if you move farther than 20 yards, and running more than 2 mags on it will cause a lot of movement/rotation if you run.

I've only used them when absolutely necessary (running mags, grenades, radio, IFAK, etc+ extra) for lightweight nonessential stuff.

Fwdftw
12-04-2011, 19:10
my original plan with the Rig i purchased was kinda a SHTF scenario.. having 8 mags, IFAK, possibly some pistol mags.. but im thinking maybe a simple war belt with 2-3 pmags.. 2 pistol mags.. dump pouch would be sufficient for range use? and classes?

WoodenPlank
12-04-2011, 19:25

That's almost identical to what I have. MAV with X-harness, two triple mag pouches, one double pistol pouch, IFAK and dump pouch. Honestly, though, I almost never use it. I got it on a whim, and it's nice to have just in case.

Most of the time, I think I'd grab my ALICE rig before I grabbed that TT rig. Faster on and off, and it didn't cost me anything.

KalashniKEV
12-04-2011, 19:43
Y'know... there's nothing wrong with a Chinese 3-Cell chest rig... they used to be everywhere DIRT cheap, but you can still find good deals on them here and there.

I ran 8 or 12 mags in OIF and have the same setup today as my "heavy rig."

On my plate carrier or "light rig" I just have 3 + two pistol mags... nice and simple. Flat and lightweight.

Oh, but then I started running 3 gun with it and I have to have a million stupid shotgun shells on me now.
:upeyes:

WoodenPlank
12-04-2011, 19:54
Y'know... there's nothing wrong with a Chinese 3-Cell chest rig... they used to be everywhere DIRT cheap, but you can still find good deals on them here and there.

I ran 8 or 12 mags in OIF and have the same setup today as my "heavy rig."

On my plate carrier or "light rig" I just have 3 + two pistol mags... nice and simple. Flat and lightweight.

Oh, but then I started running 3 gun with it and I have to have a million stupid shotgun shells on me now.
:upeyes:

You mean one of these (http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/AKS701-1.html)?

I think I have one of those laying in my storage unit, actually. :rofl:

Seems like every other trip to NC, I end up with one of my buddies giving me random crap to take home. That chest rig, M7 bayonet, random ammo, mags to play with/test out...

AK_Stick
12-04-2011, 21:28
I wouldn't go with more than 4 mags on the belt unless you really, really have to.

When I was in Iraq I was running a 6 mag leg rig, and it really isn't very much fun. You can do it, but I would prefer not to run it that way if I didn't have to.

Fwdftw
12-04-2011, 21:33
AK you mean 4 Total including pistol and Ar?

MrMurphy
12-04-2011, 21:35
Agreed.

Even on a chest rig, I usually run 4 in the pouch+1 i the gun.

I'd only go up to six+1 if I knew serious stuff was going down, with more in an assault pack with a couple days sustainment load.

Three-four spare mags, 1 spare pistol mag, a GP type pouch for batteries, multitool, etc you might need right away, and an IFAK. That'd be what i would run on a warbelt.

Fwdftw
12-04-2011, 21:36
Yea.. now i guess to sell this bad boy with the padded H harness Sigh.. lol

WoodenPlank
12-04-2011, 21:41
Agreed.

Even on a chest rig, I usually run 4 in the pouch+1 i the gun.

I'd only go up to six+1 if I knew serious stuff was going down, with more in an assault pack with a couple days sustainment load.

Three-four spare mags, 1 spare pistol mag, a GP type pouch for batteries, multitool, etc you might need right away, and an IFAK. That'd be what i would run on a warbelt.

That's the one thing I see so many people skip. IMO, EVERYONE should have an IFAK on any kind of LBE they choose to own, as well as one with their regular range bag. If anyone is handling a weapon, there should always be an IFAK close at hand.

Fwdftw
12-04-2011, 21:46
That's the one thing I see so many people skip. IMO, EVERYONE should have an IFAK on any kind of LBE they choose to own, as well as one with their regular range bag. If anyone is handling a weapon, there should always be an IFAK close at hand.

agreed

MrMurphy
12-04-2011, 21:51
I don't have a formal IFAK yet, money has been tight the last 2 years, but every pack I have has a dedicated first aid pouch with the minor stuff (sanitizer, bandaids, sterilizing stuff, etc) as well as at least 1 compression bandage and some kerlix.

And i've had the basic lifesaver training on how to handle it. I'm no medic, but I have a clue.

Once money is freed up in a month or two a real trauma kit and pouch goes onto my MAV full time.

AK_Stick
12-04-2011, 21:56
I was just talking about rifle mags.

my war belt, will never, ever, under any circumstances, not have my 2 pistol mags on it. They're ALWAYS there.

My belt set up was a little different, because it was entirely likely, I could be stranded alone in the middle of an Iraqi city. So I carried a bit more ammo than I really needed.

I run a ATS warbelt, with SOE cobra belt inside it. on the left side I had an HSGI ramp, with a TAG 2 rifle 2 pistol mag shingle. And my laser flare. On the Right I had my M-9 on a Safariland drop leg.

Optionally, with my go bag, I had a ATS drop leg, with TAG 6 mag leg rig, I could throw on.

It sucked to run with, I could do it, but man you knew that weight was there.

I just ordered a BFG six pack as my throw and go-6 mag set up instead, and I'll tweak the belt a little more.

liberty911
12-04-2011, 21:58
Agreed as well! I have my CLS bag in my truck, and just dug out my vest and my IFAK is still attached. I may throw it in my range bag. I ran 4 double pouches in Afghanistan and Iraq. It's a lot and gets old, but it's what we needed. Now, if I were to bug out, 2 double pouches should suffice.

By the way, I had a grenade pouch that I would keep my gloves in. I just pulled them out after not touching them since 08 in Iraq. HOLY CRAP, they smell bad!!! Just thought I'd share...

WoodenPlank
12-04-2011, 22:00
I don't have a formal IFAK yet, money has been tight the last 2 years, but every pack I have has a dedicated first aid pouch with the minor stuff (sanitizer, bandaids, sterilizing stuff, etc) as well as at least 1 compression bandage and some kerlix.

And i've had the basic lifesaver training on how to handle it. I'm no medic, but I have a clue.

Once money is freed up in a month or two a real trauma kit and pouch goes onto my MAV full time.

I don't even keep a full Army-style IFAK on my rig (ie: decompression needle, NPA, etc). To me, the only things really needed are a tourniquet, pressure bandage, kerlix, gloves, and a basic hemostatic agent. If you have had at least a little basic training, either a purpose-made chest seal (Asherman) or the means to improvise one on short notice. LaRue sells a kit with exactly that for under $50.

There are lots of other things you can add to enhance that (depending on training or preference), but that list (and the LT kit) will cover all of the basics.

MrMurphy
12-04-2011, 22:06
See your PMs.

WoodenPlank
12-04-2011, 22:20
See your PMs.

Pong.

PlasticGuy
12-04-2011, 23:52
I can't get into what I carry on duty.

I have several set ups for my different rifles for my own personal use though. I have a chest rig and a vest from Blackhawk, a vest from Tactical Taylor, and a chest rig from US Palm. I also have a vest being custom made by a company in California for my SCAR 17 mags. My ideal set up is a tactical vest with 3-4 rifle mags across the front, and a pair of pistol mags on each side. I have used all of them except the US Palm in classes, and am happy with all of them.

M1A Shooter
12-05-2011, 02:15
i like 4 rifle and 2 pistol mags in pouches and one each in the respective weapons. that seems like my max i can forsee as a civilian again.

right now my grab and go is just an Eagle patrol bandoleer. i will be using an ATS micro chest rig soon though. it holds 3 rifle mags and has 2 utility pouches in it. i will be adding another rifle mag shingle and 2 pistol mag pouches to it to get the numbers i like.

if i envision the need for more, they will go in or on my 3 day pack and i can get to them as needed.

KalashniKEV
12-05-2011, 14:28
I'm a little first-responder crazy- I have a CLS bag in the trunk and an IFAK under the seat of my little convertible.

On my light rig I have just a CAT on the epaulet secured with a tactical desert camouflage rubber band. On my heavy rig I have a full IFAK.

MrMurphy
12-05-2011, 16:33
I only have 1 rig anymore, and no armor, so a basic IFAK on it with more supplies in an assault pack that tends to go anywhere i go with a rifle is the best i do for now.

Suburban
12-10-2011, 14:11
Admittedly not really an expert on nylon gear, but consider going rollover/urban prone before buying a tactical shoulder bag or any drop-leg stuff. Gabe Suarez was pimping the shoulder bag thing, but the Magpul classes involve lieing on your side a lot, either side, and they just don't work for that. Need to be careful about where you put your pistol too, lieing down with a hunk of steel digging into your hip can hurt.

Regular prone also sucks with too much bulky stuff up front at waist level.

Just some things to think about.

Singlestack Wonder
12-10-2011, 15:16
Check out the Bravo Company rig.........

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-03-MSF-Chest-Harness-s/124.htm

ArmoryDoc
12-10-2011, 15:29
I run a Phalanx Fury Type 4. I like it.

http://www.tacticalassaultgearstore.com/PhalanxChestRigType4Fury.aspx

JBUS
12-10-2011, 18:29
Had a MWR-L 8 mag and ran John's mini tear off IFAK on the left side. Nice gear. Own (ed) several of his rigs, Micro's, MWR, MWR-L, Patrol Vest, various pouches and belts.

Fwdftw
12-10-2011, 22:55
Had a MWR-L 8 mag and ran John's mini tear off IFAK on the left side. Nice gear. Own (ed) several of his rigs, Micro's, MWR, MWR-L, Patrol Vest, various pouches and belts.

he makes good stuff no doubt

NeverMore1701
12-13-2011, 18:53
I went with a full chest rig. It's expensive, but it's the kind of thing I only intend to buy one of, so it might as well be good.

http://www.skdtac.com/Esstac-Chest-Rig-LBB-Load-Bearing-Boar-p/ess.520.htm

Put two single pistol mag pouches and a dump pouch on the left side and a GP pouch with a small FAK, extra ear plugs, and a spare BCG in it.

Fwdftw
12-13-2011, 21:34
Yea to be honest more ive thought about it.. them more ill just keep it. I think.

ronin.45
12-13-2011, 21:40
Delete

TangoFoxtrot
12-14-2011, 16:23
I use a Harris harness which carries 6 mags (4 pouches total) rides low and is comfortable.

Bushflyr
12-14-2011, 16:49
Keep it. Stuff your pistol in the RH pouch and you've still got room for 6 mags. Double mag pouches are handy for things other than just mags.

KalashniKEV
12-14-2011, 17:58
Stuff your pistol in the RH pouch and you've still got room...

Please don't put your pistol in a magazine pouch.

That's a style that needs to go out of fashion NOW...

Bushflyr
12-14-2011, 19:23
OK, let me rephrase. Put it in a holster designed to hold the aforementioned handgun properly within the pouch formerly designated as a mag pouch. :upeyes:

Fwdftw
12-14-2011, 20:25
Thinking ill use one of his med kits that fit in a double mag pouch.. frees up the room i was gonna use for the IFAK

DScottHewitt
12-15-2011, 10:54
Classes is one thing. But do you want to carry a few or a lot of magazines for the real world? No one ever said "I wish I didn't have these rounds left over" after a firefight. But, there are probably a few people who wish they had not run out of ammo during one.....

Scott

Fwdftw
12-15-2011, 22:15
Classes is one thing. But do you want to carry a few or a lot of magazines for the real world? No one ever said "I wish I didn't have these rounds left over" after a firefight. But, there are probably a few people who wish they had not run out of ammo during one.....

Scott

Very Good Advice Scott

AK_Stick
12-15-2011, 23:03
The flip side to that, is you can very easily carry too much.

I can not count the number of dumb young joes I've seen trying to go out on a patrol with 10-12-15 mags in addition to a ton of other gear.

seamaster
12-18-2011, 21:17
For the pistol/carbine courses I took we needed 3 rifle mags and 3 pistol mags.

This translates into a double AR mag pouch and a double pistol mag pouch...holding 4 mags total. All courses are going to be different so you might do some research before getting all tac'd out!