field interview card software [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : field interview card software

pal2511
12-04-2011, 15:28
Is there software out there that you can input field interview cards. So lets say dispatch can enter in all of the officer's field interview cards at the end of the night to keep a log so 6 months from now we can follow up on something if needed.?

I know it can be done with certain RMS programs but we don't have an RMS program and we dont have the cash or need for one really.

I started making a form with MS access but I don't really know the basics and I am just messing it up. MS access is something I have never used but it has the format that I want to use. I want dispatch or any other officer to be able to look it up and add data but I ONLY want admins to be able to delete fields or data.

so....any access pros out there or do I need to put this in the nerd forum?

lol

DaBigBR
12-04-2011, 18:20
The basic concept wouldn't be difficult to create in Access. When you start dealing with queries and permissions, it gets more complicated.

Reality check:

How many FIs are being conducted per week? Per month? How much programming time are you willing to put in relative to your amount of data? Would it be more efficient just to handwrite them and put them in alphabetical order in a card file?

I ask because I work for a small agency that is fairly advanced (for a small department, anyway) in the computer department. It's great as it stands, but the obvious fear is what happens if the person or persons that know the system leave the department.

Newcop761
12-04-2011, 21:08
pal2511: Is your time worth more than $15?

http://www.cdpinfo.com/fic.html
Screenshot here: http://www.cdpinfo.com/images/fic.jpg

I haven't used this software. Just what a 10 second google search came up with.

pal2511
12-04-2011, 22:05
Newcop I saw that also. Would like to make sure it fits my needs before I buy it but that's only an hour of pay for me.

I like the handwritten idea also but I know what my handwriting is like. Maybe the officer can retype it on. Word format form and print it to let records/dispatch file it

Newcop761
12-04-2011, 23:58
Why not e-mail the author? Maybe they could send you a demo version to play with.

pal2511
12-05-2011, 08:14
Actually emailed him this morning when I got to work. Ill keep you guys updated. If not ill spring for it prolly

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Cochese
12-05-2011, 09:45
Say the word and I will donate you a copy. Serious.

merlynusn
12-05-2011, 10:05
We have an automated system for reports and there is a subset for our FI cards. It's a good system (if people used it correctly).

actionshooter10
12-05-2011, 18:16
You CAN afford an RMS system.

My previous department had a report system from the late 80's.

I installed a secure intranet and implemented this (http://www.aleir.com/) RMS system for less than $100.00.

I did talk my chief into paying the $300.00 for one year of support. That covered him customizing the system to our standards, putting our letterhead on the reports, and getting all the bugs worked out in the first year.

This is NOT state of the art software but it is adequate for a small department. It also has a CAD component that's decent. It's open source software that you can code if you have the time/inclination.

The guy that runs it is a confirmed full-time LEO that does this as an extra job.

Trigger Finger
12-05-2011, 18:56
My old department has had an Automated Field Interview data base for about 30 years.

As a detective this system proved very valuable in solving crimes. A number of times I worked off of leads I obtained from the AFI system.

On a large department it truly proves itself. Any detective or officer can access the system department wide. We made it part of one of the duties of a Secretary or Clerk Typist. It's not as hard as some might think. It's part of the departmental LAN system.

Even on a small department it can prove beneficial!