Springfield XDm 3.8" .45 ACP Compact [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Springfield XDm 3.8" .45 ACP Compact

G33Man
12-04-2011, 16:59
I will start out with a 3 letter word. WOW! This is not only a well thought out gun, but a well thought out package.

The package is brilliant. It comes with the pistol, a match grade barrel, an excellent case, 2 mags (9 round flush mount and 13 round extended), a holster, a double mag carrier, a mag loader, 3 sizes of back straps, and 3 sizes of grip extenders (to match the back strap size you select so there isn't a gap). I think the larger capacity mag is a huge bonus.We all know that the grip is the tough part in CCing....but who cares if the back up mag is larger.....it is just as easy to conceal.

I hit a local indoor range today and put 140 rounds thru it. I ended up shooting 100 rounds of Winchester white box FMJ and 40 rounds of Speer Gold Dot HP.....all in 230 gr.

Impressions:

1) Soft shooter...very controllable for a shorter frame.

2) I shot equally as well with the flush mount 9 round mag as I did with the 13 round extended grip mag.

3) Accurate....I was able to shoot several "one ragged hole" Shoot-N-C targets at 30 feet.

4) Comfortable......I switched out the medium back strap for the small and it felt perfect.

5) Reliable....not very many rounds (140) but no issues at all.

6) Attractive looking gun

I would recommend this weapon to anyone who likes the .45 ACP round. I think it will be a big seller.

Flush mount mag on left and full cap mag with grip extender on right:
http://brainonsigs.smugmug.com/Other/Things-that-go-BANG/i-DZVMs8S/0/O/Compact451x.jpg

twisty
12-04-2011, 19:35
I am a huge fan of the XDm. I have the 4.5 inch 9mm XDm and it is a great shooting gun and I have really been wanting one in the 3.8 length for a more convenient carry size. My 9mm is terrific, I can only imagine a soft shooting .45 version is even better.

bac1023
12-04-2011, 20:23
I love the XDm.

Reb 56
12-04-2011, 20:29
I think this will be my first Pistol in 2012.

cowboy1964
12-04-2011, 20:33
It will be very successful. One wonders if the old XDs will be dropped at some point. The XDms are nicer and there is too much overlap.

I just wish they were 3 oz lighter.

Tim151515
12-04-2011, 22:26
I agree with everything the OP said except the "attractive" part. I believe that type of gun (polymer, striker firerd, generic....beater if you will) is like beer. Its nice if you have the taste for it, but when they try to make it taste good(or in this case, try to make it look good), becomes gaggable. Not to say it should be a deal breaker, I just wish they would have stayed with the XD type pistols for their new innovations...oh...and ditched the "springfield" name. Those croation pistols are fantastic pistols that are every bit as good as a Glock or an MP, but they are not springfields.

beforeobamabans
12-05-2011, 18:01
I was sorely tempted when I called my LGS last week and he says, "Just got two in. I'm asking $599". And the Springfield mag special was still on.

I took my Glock 30 to the range instead. I might have made a mistake.

beforeobamabans
12-06-2011, 05:50
I'm wondering what you long time Glock users think of the grip safety on the XDm?

cowboy1964
12-06-2011, 05:59
I'm wondering what you long time Glock users think of the grip safety on the XDm?

I was initially very against it but have softened my stance a bit. It actually makes IWB reholstering safer as long as you are sure to keep your hand off it. Still prefer a hammer design for the safest reholstering.

JRS
12-07-2011, 00:51
Yup, want one. I love the longslide compact/extended mag concept similar to the sr9c.

G33Man
12-07-2011, 10:44

You bring up a good point. What I find interesting is there is a pant load of threads over the various gun forums discussing it's pros and cons. Many folks go on and on about what an evil it is yet I never see the same attitude (or volume of responses) when discussing a 1911...which has the same basic grip safety feature. :supergrin:

never enough
12-07-2011, 15:56
this will be my next gun purchase!

beforeobamabans
12-07-2011, 16:18
You bring up a good point. What I find interesting is there is a pant load of threads over the various gun forums discussing it's pros and cons. Many folks go on and on about what an evil it is yet I never see the same attitude (or volume of responses) when discussing a 1911...which has the same basic grip safety feature. :supergrin:

What is your opinion?

CBennett
12-07-2011, 16:29
Wow, I was thinking Glock 36 as i want a .45 ACP CC pistol..but this also seems VERY interesting..$503 is a bit steep for me but maybe a used one or something I should look out for in a 1/2 a year or so...

G33Man
12-07-2011, 16:32
What is your opinion?

Not an opinoin.....but...I put 25K+ rounds thru an older XD 9mm including 6-7 shooting courses.....rolling around in dirt, mud, water and dust......never an issue with the grip safety. I beat the heck out of that gun.

beforeobamabans
12-11-2011, 06:54
G33Man, how about an update? How many rounds now? Any issues?

Badger54
03-08-2012, 18:59
I am a Glock guy and never warmed to the XD I always thought they looked top heavy. But last week I was on glocktalk and I saw an add for a bi-tone XDm 3.8 45acp that looked interesting. I researched it for a couple days and then went and took a look at one at a LGS. I finally decided to order one and give it a try the only draw back I am finding is the lack of available holsters specifically for that model.

Chris Brines
03-08-2012, 20:50
One of the reasons I chose Glock over Springfield when I bought my first semi was the reputation Glock has for long term durability, and the fact that they are known to shoot just as good as brand new after being abused and neglected. Not that I plan to ever abuse or neglect my Glock, but durability and reliability is something I look for in a gun. After safety and accuracy.

From reading in these forums I am starting to get the impression that Glock may have made some changes in the manufacturing process of their guns that may be great for them ($$$$), but may hurt the customer in the long run. For example, it is believed by some of my well informed gun enthusiast friends that Glock is no longer treating their guns with tenifer (if that's how you spell it). I saw pictures posted from a "torture test" of a G26 Gen 4 that a guy performed on his own. After being left exposed to the elements for a week, buried under dirt and mud and rained on, there was a considerable amount of rust on the gun, especially the barrel.

Now obviously I am not going to be burying my gun and letting it get rained on, but it is still something that took my opinion of Glock from "perfection" to "almost perfect". Also it makes me wonder just what other changes they have made that aren't so obvious. I need a gun that will shoot no matter how "F'd up" of a situation I may find myself in.

These Springfield XDM's look very enticing. I shot an XD once a few years back an loved it. I have a Glock 26 Gen 4 and a G23 Gen 3. My .45 ACP that I will be getting this year, might just be made by Springfield instead of Glock. Still haven't decided and the Glock 21 is so far the most fun gun I've ever had the pleasure of shooting.

mixflip
03-08-2012, 21:14
Have you shot the 3.3 XDS? Its a 45acp single stack.

shooting the new XDS at Discount Firearms and Ammo in Las Vegas - YouTube

Chris Brines
03-08-2012, 21:54
Can't say that I have. Sure looks like fun though

CBennett
03-09-2012, 08:38
That XDm and XD single stack are on the short list of .45 ACP models I WANT...Ive been wanting a .45 ACP since I had to sell back my buddies Colt Gold Cup back to him years ago..just never got one...I LIKE BOTH!

just debating 9 rounds or 5 rounds Hmmm lol. double or single stack...Probably wont be till next year to be honest as ive already got this years shopping planned(just not paid 4 yet lol) but they (one of the 2) is on the "buy" list unless I find that cheap Glock 36 ive been looking for and not found yet :) .

cole
03-09-2012, 15:47

That's a loaded question on a Glock forum. Answering in ernest, I've owned the XD9Tac and XD9SC. Great guns. Nice trigger, better than a stock Glock IMO. Ran well. IMO, the grip safety is needed on the XD because it SA. But, it's one more element (and needed parts) of the gun the Glock does without and one more thing to keep the gun from going boom. If I want complicated, I'll opt for the 1911 or a Beretta. When I want simple, Glock. So, the XD just did nothing for me.

p.s. I do think the XD has the best ambi manual safety going for a poly gun. It's metal, small and low profile. Use it or don't, and if not it's out of the way. If I got an XD again it would be for the manual safety alone, but it's a limited run.

March817
03-09-2012, 16:21
The XDm 3.8" Compact on my list is in .40s&w.

gocubs6
03-09-2012, 17:42
The XDM is a sweet gun. I have an XDM 9, a Sig 226, a G26, a CZ P-01, and a 1911. So, its not like I haven't tried some other top pistols. The XDM shoots better in my hand than all of them (but I just got the CZ and haven't hit the range yet). It has never malfunctioned and I like the trigger better than all of my 9mm pistols (my 1911 is a .45). I had a G19, but it was the first one I sold when I wanted to get the CZ. I love the G26 w/ the 3.5 connector, but the XDM is the go to pistol. Don't listen to all the nonsense about the grip safety and the dreaded "high bore axis." It is all garbage. It is cool if people like other guns (so do I) and if they prefer certain options. However, the fact is that the grip safety is not an issue and the XDM shoots softer than my Glocks. The only downside in my book is that it is a more complicated pistol than a Glock.

carbuncle
03-09-2012, 18:55
I want one of all the sizes of the XDm in .45!

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk

Jade Falcon
03-09-2012, 19:44
I definitely want one! Way slimmer than a G30, but with the power of .45 ACP! Gotta love Springfield; they've got a winner with this gun.

ubimow
03-09-2012, 19:56
One of the reasons I chose Glock over Springfield when I bought my first semi was the reputation Glock has for long term durability, and the fact that they are known to shoot just as good as brand new after being abused and neglected. Not that I plan to ever abuse or neglect my Glock, but durability and reliability is something I look for in a gun. After safety and accuracy.

From reading in these forums I am starting to get the impression that Glock may have made some changes in the manufacturing process of their guns that may be great for them ($$$$), but may hurt the customer in the long run. For example, it is believed by some of my well informed gun enthusiast friends that Glock is no longer treating their guns with tenifer (if that's how you spell it). I saw pictures posted from a "torture test" of a G26 Gen 4 that a guy performed on his own. After being left exposed to the elements for a week, buried under dirt and mud and rained on, there was a considerable amount of rust on the gun, especially the barrel.

Now obviously I am not going to be burying my gun and letting it get rained on, but it is still something that took my opinion of Glock from "perfection" to "almost perfect". Also it makes me wonder just what other changes they have made that aren't so obvious. I need a gun that will shoot no matter how "F'd up" of a situation I may find myself in.

These Springfield XDM's look very enticing. I shot an XD once a few years back an loved it. I have a Glock 26 Gen 4 and a G23 Gen 3. My .45 ACP that I will be getting this year, might just be made by Springfield instead of Glock. Still haven't decided and the Glock 21 is so far the most fun gun I've ever had the pleasure of shooting.

I completely agree with you! Glock just doesn't seem to be producing their guns with the same quality and reliability that they are famous for. And yes, I know people will say that they have thousands of rds through their Glocks without a single problem but the sheer number of complaints about FTF, FTE, erratic ejection, rusting...etc, is WAY higher in the last year or two then ever before. This CAN'T be ignored.

I am looking to buy another CC gun and it WAS going to be a Gen 4 Glock but now I am seriously thinking about buying an XD or even an M&P instead.

svtpwnz
03-09-2012, 21:15
I really want the XDm 45c with ss slide. Thanks OP! Thanks alot!

vram74
03-09-2012, 21:34

I thought they switched melonite treatment? That would suck if they just opted for no treatment at all.