9mm [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 9mm

markofva
12-04-2011, 16:39
On the 9mm shell is the amount of powder the same regardless of the weight of the bullet.

Shadyscott69
12-04-2011, 16:40
On the 9mm shell is the amount of powder the same regardless of the weight of the bullet.

Heck no!

Vanilla-gorilla
12-04-2011, 16:55
Heck no!

I concur.

redbrd
12-04-2011, 17:01
I concur.

You need to break out a manual. What bullet weights are you using?

ColoCG
12-04-2011, 17:05
If you are planning to reload, you might want to pick up a few good books like The ABC's of Reloading and read it cover to cover. If you still plan on reloading you will need at least 2 good manuals like the Lyman, or Speer before you even consider reloading.

These will give you an idea of what type of equipment is available and what you need. Then if you have questions, they will be gladly answered.

JaPes
12-04-2011, 17:10

:shocked:

I don't reload but even I would logically deduce that the answer is "no". Even with my lower-than-newbie reloading knowledge, there's a whole bunch of factors that are involved.

In particular is the fact that different brands of powder burn at different rates, developing different pressures. Additionally from looking at the shelf at the store, there are different types of powder within a brand line.

atakawow
12-04-2011, 17:31
Lack of reading is the fuel for the saying "reloading is dangerous" fire.

ColoCG
12-04-2011, 17:31
:shocked:

I don't reload but even I would logically deduce that the answer is "no". Even with my lower-than-newbie reloading knowledge, there's a whole bunch of factors that are involved.

In particular is the fact that different brands of powder burn at different rates, developing different pressures. Additionally from looking at the shelf at the store, there are different types of powder within a brand line.

Very Good, You already know a lot more than the op.:wavey:

PhantomF4E
12-04-2011, 18:57
:popcorn:Getting some popcorn ready for this one ......

JaPes
12-04-2011, 19:01
Very Good, You already know a lot more than the op.:wavey:

Thanks. I'm soaking up whatever knowledge I can from lurking the reloading forum. I'm seriously considering reloading.

I'm reading The ABC's of Reloading now. Then I'll get a reloading manual. Then I'll research the different equipment options. Before financially committing to reloading equipment & ammo components, I have to get some credible base knowledge.

:popcorn:Getting some popcorn ready for this one ......

I'm with ya! :popcorn:

DWARREN123
12-04-2011, 20:52
NO!!!
Depending on bullet weight, powder type and what you want it to do the charge weight of powder will be different.
Please either check out a reloading manual and/or the powder companies (powder you will use) web site for load data.
Don't want hear about you loosing some fingers. :supergrin:

chineseboxer
12-04-2011, 21:33
:wow:

TN.Frank
12-04-2011, 21:51
First off, Shotguns use "Shells", rifles and pistols use "Cartridges". The amount of powder can vary widely depending on the powder, bullet weight and sometimes even the primer used.
Get a good Handloading Manual and give it a read, it'll really open your eyes to what you're suppose to do.

Steve Koski
12-04-2011, 21:52
It is if you use a Lee dipper!

RWBlue
12-04-2011, 22:02
may i suggest http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp