Shotshell reloading-lead shot [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Shotshell reloading-lead shot

norton
12-04-2011, 18:06
How much are you paying for lead shot? I purchased a #25 pound bag of Magnum 8's-Lawrence brand-cost me just under $40.
Good sources for shot?

norton
12-05-2011, 13:27
nobody reloads shotshells? I know Jack does.

GioaJack
12-05-2011, 13:39
Hey, quit botherin' me, I'm in Ft. Worth entertainin' the ladies.

Call some of the larger skeet and trap clubs in your area and see if the have any reclaimed shot, should sell for half, or just slightly half of new shot. They mine their fields every few years, (depends on the size of the club), then the shot is cleaned, sized and re-graphited. Shoots fine, just as good as new shot... I set a black powder trap national record using reclaimed shot. Has something to do with being a cheap bastard I think.

Jack

F106 Fan
12-05-2011, 14:04
nobody reloads shotshells? I know Jack does.

Actually, reloading 12 gauge is a dying proposition. It is possible to buy Federal Champion for < $60/case ($6/box) and with the price of lead, it is difficult to do better. I haved asked around and nobody is loading 12 gauge target.

I shoot a bit of 28 gauge skeet and, while I am currently buying Win AA shells, I am saving the hulls. I have some shot left over from the days when I shot a LOT of skeet so I am pretty much set. I also bought some from Midway - the offer with the free shipping (my letter carrier HATES some of my packages). The free shipping may not be a bargain - the price for the lead is higher.

I have been having a terrible time getting my Ponsness-Warren press to accomodate the new AA HS hulls. I haven't decided to give up and buy another press but it is coming close.

Richard

unclebob
12-05-2011, 14:51
The best way is a club buy. If I remember right I bought 10 bags at 32.00 a bag. I reload .410,28,20, and 12 gauge. When you can get it a dealers coast and it comes in by the pallet load it is a lot cheaper. Reclamed shot is also another good idea. But be carefully in what you buy.

dkf
12-05-2011, 15:31
The Cabelas retail store wanted $55 for a 25lb bag, which is a lot. These prices have gotten out of hand. Last bag of shot I can remember buying cost around $13. I gave up the trap league a while ago so havn't reloaded for it in a while.

norton
12-05-2011, 18:39
Actually, reloading 12 gauge is a dying proposition. It is possible to buy Federal Champion for < $60/case ($6/box) and with the price of lead, it is difficult to do better. I haved asked around and nobody is loading 12 gauge target.

I shoot a bit of 28 gauge skeet and, while I am currently buying Win AA shells, I am saving the hulls. I have some shot left over from the days when I shot a LOT of skeet so I am pretty much set. I also bought some from Midway - the offer with the free shipping (my letter carrier HATES some of my packages). The free shipping may not be a bargain - the price for the lead is higher.

I have been having a terrible time getting my Ponsness-Warren press to accomodate the new AA HS hulls. I haven't decided to give up and buy another press but it is coming close.

Richard

I hear ya, but to be honest I reload mostly because I like doing it. I load metallic to save $ and cause I like it. I just got back into reloading shotshells because I find it relaxing. So sue me.

GioaJack
12-05-2011, 18:53
Norton, if you're dead set on loading shot shells look for a used shot machine. They're fairly small and easy to use. IIRC you can do about 25# an hour. (Have to double check with my shooting' buddy, he has one.)

You can use wheel weight which will give you the equivilant of chilled shot or soften 'em up a bit with a little plumber's sheet lead.

Not really that hard to find them used, that's how he got his. A lot cheaper than buying shot at today's prices.

Jack

Hoser
12-07-2011, 13:18
The best way is a club buy. If I remember right I bought 10 bags at 32.00 a bag. I reload .410,28,20, and 12 gauge. When you can get it a dealers coast and it comes in by the pallet load it is a lot cheaper. Reclamed shot is also another good idea. But be carefully in what you buy.
Without a doubt. Back in 2006 I bought 2,000 lbs of shot and paid about $11-12 a bag out the door.

I bet now days you might be able to get it for under $25.

norton
12-07-2011, 19:43
Without a doubt. Back in 2006 I bought 2,000 lbs of shot and paid about $11-12 a bag out the door.

I bet now days you might be able to get it for under $25.

Good Lord man, where would I store 2K of lead shot?

WiskyT
12-07-2011, 20:12

Put it in your mother-in-laws attic, above her bead.

michael e
12-07-2011, 20:43
I havent loaded shotgun shells in years. Last time I bought lead it was 10 a bag, but close to 7 years ago. I still have about 50lbs left, after that not sure with how little I shoot my shotguns it will be worth my time and money to buy in bulk.

freakshow10mm
12-08-2011, 09:06
I pay $33/25lbs plus shipping from Graf's with an FFL discount. Costs me just over $4/box to load 20ga 7/8oz loads using WSF and Claybuster wads.

Hoser
12-08-2011, 17:44

2,000 lbs of lead really does not take up a lot of room.