heliguy
12-04-2011, 17:59
.... less YHM .45 cal silencer! Looks do-able to me! :whistling:

txgunguy
12-05-2011, 09:05
Pretty sure you can't CC a rifle in Texas lol

Toorop
12-05-2011, 13:42
See if you can open carry it. I believe it is legal to openly carry rifles in Texas. We need more rifleman walking our streets with evil black rifles to help normalize the idea for everyone. The goal is to get everybody walking down the street armed to the teeth. Imagine just walking your dog and seeing your neighbors get out of their car with their AK pattern rifles and some droplet holsters. MAybe their teenage son has a Mossberg? It would be beautiful.

kensteele
12-05-2011, 17:40
you wouldn't be the first to think of it; not advisable.

Glockdude1
12-05-2011, 17:49
Not legal in Texas for Concealed carry.

:cool:

Texas357
12-05-2011, 19:27

Texas has laws against concealing handguns.

Texas357
12-05-2011, 19:27
Not legal in Texas for Concealed carry.

cite?

RenegadeGlocker
12-05-2011, 19:42

Of course you can. Open or concealed, as you prefer. Walk right past a valid 30.06 sign too if you want.

RenegadeGlocker
12-05-2011, 19:44
cite?

You can concealed carry it, but it is not your CHL firearm, since CHL requires a handgun.

Lee-online
12-05-2011, 19:53
I was doing this with my SBR to see how concealable it was. Under a light jacket it disappears.

And it is legal in my state even though i have no intension's of carrying it.

Glockdude1
12-05-2011, 20:40
cite?

See #10

http://www.texasgunlaws.org/chl.htm

(10) "Short-barrel firearm" means a rifle with a barrel length of less than 16 inches or a shotgun with a barrel length of less than 18 inches, or any weapon made from a shotgun or rifle if, as altered, it has an overall length of less than 26 inches.

RenegadeGlocker
12-05-2011, 20:51
See #10

http://www.texasgunlaws.org/chl.htm

(10) "Short-barrel firearm" means a rifle with a barrel length of less than 16 inches or a shotgun with a barrel length of less than 18 inches, or any weapon made from a shotgun or rifle if, as altered, it has an overall length of less than 26 inches.

Yes, that is the definition of an SBR.

Nowhere will you find it is illegal to carry one. Contrary to popular belief, Texas allows you to carry, open or concealed, loaded or unloaded, any firearm except a handgun. For a handgun you must meet some conditions or have a CHL.

Texas357
12-07-2011, 18:49

Nowhere will you find it is illegal to carry one. Contrary to popular belief, Texas allows you to carry, open or concealed, loaded or unloaded, any firearm except a handgun. For a handgun you must meet some conditions or have a CHL.

I see you've got this under control.

It is more fun this way, (and possibly educational):
Don't tell him he won't find it. Ask him where it is. Let him look for it a while.

Lord
12-08-2011, 00:26

I've been researching the crap out of this. For one, there is flawed thinking here if anyone thinks that CHL-16 applies to rifles or long guns. It is a concealed handgun law so it would not apply to long guns/rifles. There may be other laws that cover them, but CHL-16 does not. Now, I'm with these other guys in that I believe there is no state law that prohibits the open carry of long guns/rifles, but one should probably check their own city ordinances to see if there are any restrictions. Just because a state law doesn't specifically prohibit something, doesn't mean the local municipalities will allow it.

RenegadeGlocker
12-08-2011, 05:52
I've been researching the crap out of this. For one, there is flawed thinking here if anyone thinks that CHL-16 applies to rifles or long guns. It is a concealed handgun law so it would not apply to long guns/rifles. There may be other laws that cover them, but CHL-16 does not. Now, I'm with these other guys in that I believe there is no state law that prohibits the open carry of long guns/rifles, but one should probably check their own city ordinances to see if there are any restrictions. Just because a state law doesn't specifically prohibit something, doesn't mean the local municipalities will allow it.

Texas has pre-emption so cities cannot do squat.

talon
12-08-2011, 09:17
Watch out for the ole "disturbing the peace" gambit.

RyanNREMTP
12-08-2011, 10:48
Watch out for the ole "disturbing the peace" gambit.

That would be about it. That and carrying any type of firearm into an establishment that serves alcohol.

Lord
12-08-2011, 23:27
That would be about it. That and carrying any type of firearm into an establishment that serves alcohol.

Doesn't matter if they serve alcohol. What would matter is if they derive 51% or more of their income from the sale of alcohol, and then it would have to be conspicuously posted. Additionally, if it's not posted 51% or 30.06, then the other sign that reads something along the lines of: "the unlicensed possession of..." and there again, if you have a CHL, that sign doesn't mean you.

heliguy
12-09-2011, 09:13
So the GT legal staff is in agreement: With a CHL it's legal to carry a SBR concealed!!!

So I'm packin up with my CHL, KRISS SBR and my coat off for the first official wally walk!!!:cool:

polyman305
12-10-2011, 04:59
That would still be unpractical being given drama you would still have to take time to insert that 30rd mag into it. Unless you're going to carry it with those 13rd mag. But at that point you might as well just carry a G21.

bithabus
12-11-2011, 02:46
What's CHL- 16?

Doesn't matter if they serve alcohol. What would matter is if they derive 51% or more of their income from the sale of alcohol, and then it would have to be conspicuously posted. Additionally, if it's not posted 51% or 30.06, then the other sign that reads something along the lines of: "the unlicensed possession of..." and there again, if you have a CHL, that sign doesn't mean you.
You can carry a rifle (or a registered short barrel rifle) into a 51% location.

So the GT legal staff is in agreement: With a CHL it's legal to carry a SBR concealed!!!

CHL is not necessary to carry a rifle.

todd_g
12-11-2011, 08:05
Any barrel shorter than 18" is not considered a rifle and has to be registered as a handgun in Michigan. We can open carry any rifle. We can open carry any handgun as long as it is holstered but we cannot open carry in a vehicle. It must be stored in a container with the ammunition stored separate.

TreyG-20
12-11-2011, 08:37
Any barrel shorter than 18" is not considered a rifle and has to be registered as a handgun in Michigan. We can open carry any rifle. We can open carry any handgun as long as it is holstered but we cannot open carry in a vehicle. It must be stored in a container with the ammunition stored separate. Im sure you meant 16 inches right?

racer88
12-11-2011, 10:14
I was surprised to learn that Texas (TEXAS... of all states) has very restrictive concealed carry laws. Florida is much better (thankfully).

Travclem
12-11-2011, 10:19
I was surprised to learn that Texas (TEXAS... of all states) has very restrictive concealed carry laws. Florida is much better (thankfully).
Yeah our knife laws suck ass too.

RenegadeGlocker
12-11-2011, 10:20

Open/Concealed Carry of ALL firearms except handguns which can only be carried concealed in vehicles without a CHL is "very restrictive"?

Try this in any state but Texas:

http://biggovernment.com/mroman/2010/11/01/flashback-houston-new-black-panther-party-protests-with-machine-guns/

racer88
12-11-2011, 10:50
Open/Concealed Carry of ALL firearms except handguns which can only be carried concealed in vehicles without a CHL is "very restrictive"?

Try this in any state but Texas:

http://biggovernment.com/mroman/2010/11/01/flashback-houston-new-black-panther-party-protests-with-machine-guns/

To wit: 30.06 sign. When I carried in Texas, I was worried about which places might have that sign. How would I explain to the people with me that I'd have to go back to the car? Some places were valet parking. Now, I've got to get my car BACK? "What for, sir?" I just didn't like having to worry about being surprised by a sign at a restaurant, hotel, store, etc.

I didn't want to have to ask, inquire, or guess if a place received 51% of its revenue from alcohol.

Churches are prohibited.

Amusement parks, too.

MUST inform officer of CCW if pulled over for traffic stop.

None of this exists in Florida. So, yes... I consider it quite restrictive.... and ironic, given that it's TEXAS. Texas??? I've always admired the Texas attitude of accountability, self-reliance, and siding with the "good guys." So, I was surprised to see that Texas has far more restrictions than Florida (with its concentration of liberals).

RenegadeGlocker
12-11-2011, 10:56
To wit: 30.06 sign. When I carried in Texas, I was worried about which places might have that sign. How would I explain to the people with me that I'd have to go back to the car? Some places were valet parking. Now, I've got to get my car BACK? "What for, sir?" I just didn't like having to worry about being surprised by a sign at a restaurant, hotel, store, etc. How many signs did you see? I have lived here 20 years an only know of 3 places, 2 of which are not public. Yeah, folks can ban stuff from their property, what a shocker, again no different than Florida.

I didn't want to have to ask or inquire if a place received 51% of its revenue from alcohol. Which is less restrictive than Florida, which bans all places that serve alcohol -> http://www.nraila.org/statelawpdfs/FLSL.pdf

Churches are prohibited. WRONG

Amusement parks, too. WRONG.

None of this exists in Florida. So, yes... I consider it quite restrictive.... and ironic, given that it's TEXAS. Texas??? I've always admired the Texas attitude of accountability, self-reliance, and siding with the "good guys." So, I was surprised to see that Texas has far more restrictions than Florida (with its concentration of liberals).

Since so many of your views are wrong, I can see why you might think it is not as good as Florida. But you are wrong.

And you are focusing soley on handguns. Tell me about carrying machine guns down the street in FL during a public demonstration like shown on video. Link to video where it has happened will suffice.

racer88
12-11-2011, 11:03
Since so many of your views are wrong, I can see why you might think it is not as good as Florida. But you are wrong.

Haha... you think I posted my VIEWS???? Umm... no. I looked it up, since I must know those laws if I am to use my Florida license while visiting Texas.

See for yourself: http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/texas.pdf

If you're in Texas, you sure should know your own laws. :embarassed:

In Florida private property owners can post a sign, but it does NOT carry the weight of law. In Texas it does. I didn't see any 30.06 signs, while there. But, I didn't know what to expect. I DID see a sign banning guns at one restaurant. But, since the sign was not the legally prescribed 30.06 sign, I ignored it.

Also, Florida does NOT ban CCW from places that serve alcohol. We just can't go into a BAR. We also cannot sit at a bar in a restaurant. But, we absolutely CAN go into any restaurant that serves alcohol.

Again... for your own reference (you should read up before you speak up):

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/florida.pdf

So, you see... I am factually correct on all counts (if you do, indeed, look up the laws). But, you are wrong, not only about Florida, but about your own state's laws. Look'em up! :wavey:

themiller
12-11-2011, 11:12
uhhh. A jacket in TX? That seems odd...

RenegadeGlocker
12-11-2011, 11:13
Haha... you think I posted my VIEWS???? Umm... no. I looked it up, since I must know those laws if I am to use my Florida license while visiting Texas.

Uh, I do know the laws, you are the one that does not.

In Florida private property owners can post a sign, but it does NOT carry the weight of law. In Texas it does. I didn't see any 30.06 signs, while there. But, I didn't know what to expect. I DID see a sign banning guns at one restaurant. But, since the sign was not the legally prescribed 30.06 sign, I ignored it.

So you never actually had to leave your gun behind? Seems like you are whining about something that does not exist.

Also, Florida does NOT ban CCW from places that serve alcohol. We just can't go into a BAR. We also cannot sit at a bar in a restaurant. But, we absolutely CAN go into any restaurant that serves alcohol.

Texas is better by your own admission. We can sit at bars in restaurants. We can you can't.

I did look it up, and referenced the NRA guide. [A license shall not authorize any person to carry a concealed weapon firearm into any place of nuisance, police station, detention facility,courthouse, polling place, meeting of any state, county, municipal, or special district governing body, any school, any professional or school athletic event not related to firearms, portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, inside the sterile and passenger area of an airport, or any place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by federal law.]

So, you see... I am actually factually correct on all counts (if you do, indeed, look up the laws). But, you are wrong, not only about Florida, but about your own state's laws. Look'em up! :wavey:

Actually you are pretty much wrong on every assertion.

You do not know what you do not know.

Ignorance is bliss.

Still waiting on carrying machine guns down the street.

racer88
12-11-2011, 11:21
You do not know what you do not know.

Ignorance is bliss.

Still waiting on carrying machine guns down the street.

OK... you disagree with the gunlaw website's citations and summaries of actual laws. Did you go there? It's really quite simple to understand. Just one example.

Signs carry weight of law?

Texas: YES

Florida: NO.

I wasn't "whining." Just making an observation and drawing contrasts between Florida and Texas. I'm a big fan of Texas, in general. I was surprised to learn their laws are as restrictive as they are. No whining at all. I can't help that you infer my comments as "whining" or an attack on the Great State of Texas. But, you are certainly demonstrating knee-jerk defensiveness.,

Furthermore you demonstrate that you do not comprehend the law you cite. I promise I know Florida law quite well. And, when I travel to states that offer reciprocity, I always exercise my 2A right. And, I study their laws thoroughly, as I prefer to stay on the right side of the law.

But, I will not debate you anymore. I suspect you are fairly young. You are right about ignorance being bliss, though. :wavey: I'll let the other guys take it from here.

RenegadeGlocker
12-11-2011, 11:40
I'm a big fan of Texas, in general. I was surprised to learn their laws are as restrictive as they are.

That is cool. Unfortunately you have learned wrong and instead of learning from someone who knows, you are arguing with him. FWIW, I was one of the first certified instructors (summer 1995), and know them cold. For example, the restrictions on churches, amusement parks were lifted in 1997 as I recall. So you see, I do know them, you do not not.

Now I and friends are going to sit at the bar, order some pitchers of beer and watch football games all while legally carrying handguns. Something by your own admission you cannot do.

I'll let the other guys take it from here.

Like Bithabus or TexasInvestigator? Sure I welcome them backing up 100% of what I wrote.

ETA because of your edit:

OK... you disagree with the gunlaw website's citations and summaries of actual laws. Did you go there? It's really quite simple to understand. Just one example.

[I]Signs carry weight of law?

Texas: YES

No, "Signs" do not carry the weight of law. Only one "Sign" (note singular), carries the weight. A properly written and posted 30.06 sign. "Ghostbusters", "No Guns Allowed" and all those other signs DO NOT CARRY the weight of law.

Third request for Florida carry laws on on carrying machine guns down the street. <crickets>.

kensteele
12-11-2011, 16:00

So, you see... I am factually correct on all counts (if you do, indeed, look up the laws). But, you are wrong, not only about Florida, but about your own state's laws. Look'em up! :wavey:

I have to agree with you. I go to TX often and as a visitor, it's often problematic for me. So I can only compare to KS and I believe KS is less restrictive overall (even though I am used to and comfortable with KS law). I like your example but nobody is going to give it credit but I will because I've actually lived it. If you travel in someone else's car and everybody gets out and we all agree to walk into a business and just before you go in, you see the sign. Now I have to stop and decide. Either make an excuse why I can't go in and I'll just hang around outside (which is stupid if everyone is going out to eat) or I can ask the owner to borrow his car keys so I can go back to the car, I think I left my wallet in there...and when you get back to the car not only do you end up hiding your firearm in someone else's car and then eating unarmed but also you have to figure out how to beat them back to the car so you can retrieve your weapon, etc. Of course, this isn't a huge problem if everybody knows you are carrying a weapon....but for me, TX is somewhat problematic for me as a visitor until I become more use to the area (SATX).

Bren
12-11-2011, 16:05
Move to Kentucky, where your CCDW permit covers handguns, shotguns, rifles, submachineguns, machineguns, grenade launchers, nunchuks, throwing stars, and even billy clubs and blackjacks. In Kentucky, with the CCDW you can carry, concealed or in the open, any weapon that federal law allows you to possess. Without the permit, you can still carry them all, but you can only conceal pocket knives and hunting knives.

bithabus
12-11-2011, 16:13

As Renegade said, churches and amusement parks are no longer restricted (unless valid 30.06 notice is given). And valid 30.06 signs are very rare. In Texas, the sign must be precisely as is described in PC 30.06 or it is invalid and government locations not listed in PC 46.03 or 46.035 cannot put up valid 30.06 signs. Honestly, most of the 30.06 signs I have seen are not enforceable.

And we still have the best use of force laws in the country :tongueout:

Clutch Cargo
12-14-2011, 13:12
Texas has no concealed statute except as applies to licensed handgun carriers. You can openly or concealed carry a long gun (not an SBR) any time you want. I've carried a shotgun and an AR inside my bank.

RenegadeGlocker
12-14-2011, 15:58
Texas has no concealed statute except as applies to licensed handgun carriers. You can openly or concealed carry a long gun (not an SBR) any time you want. I've carried a shotgun and an AR inside my bank.

Not sure why you think you can't carry an SBR, it is perfectly legal as long as it does not meet the Texas definition of a handgun.

Lord
12-14-2011, 21:50
What's CHL- 16?

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/InternetForms/Forms/CHL-16.pdf

You can carry a rifle (or a registered short barrel rifle) into a 51% location.

Is there a law that says you can, or are you just assuming this based on nothing specific written? Do you have something to post that I can read? I would not want to be the test case on this.

CHL is not necessary to carry a rifle.

Correct. CHL = concealed HANDgun license.

Texas357
12-14-2011, 22:12
Is there a law that says you can...

That's not how laws are supposed to work.

Lord
12-15-2011, 00:23
That's not how laws are supposed to work.

I am aware of this. My question was a challenge.

bithabus
12-15-2011, 00:33
http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/InternetForms/Forms/CHL-16.pdf
Best to get your info from reading the actual law and not pamphlets.

Is there a law that says you can, or are you just assuming this based on nothing specific written? Do you have something to post that I can read? I would not want to be the test case on this.Laws tell us what we can't do, not what we can do. In any case, handgun carry in 51% locations is proscribed by PC 46.035. It is 46.035 that contains the "derives more than 51% etc" wording. And 46.035 only prohibits the carry of handguns by license holders.

Sec. 46.035. UNLAWFUL CARRYING OF HANDGUN BY LICENSE HOLDER. (a) A license holder commits an offense if the license holder carries a handgun on or about the license holder's person under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, and intentionally fails to conceal the handgun.
(b) A license holder commits an offense if the license holder intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries a handgun under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, regardless of whether the handgun is concealed, on or about the license holder's person:
(1) on the premises of a business that has a permit or license issued under Chapter 25, 28, 32, 69, or 74, Alcoholic Beverage Code, if the business derives 51 percent or more of its income from the sale or service of alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption, as determined by the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission under Section 104.06, Alcoholic Beverage Code;
(2) on the premises where a high school, collegiate, or professional sporting event or interscholastic event is taking place, unless the license holder is a participant in the event and a handgun is used in the event;
(3) on the premises of a correctional facility;
(4) on the premises of a hospital licensed under Chapter 241, Health and Safety Code, or on the premises of a nursing home licensed under Chapter 242, Health and Safety Code, unless the license holder has written authorization of the hospital or nursing home administration, as appropriate;
(5) in an amusement park; or
(6) on the premises of a church, synagogue, or other established place of religious worship.
(c) A license holder commits an offense if the license holder intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries a handgun under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, regardless of whether the handgun is concealed, at any meeting of a governmental entity.
(d) A license holder commits an offense if, while intoxicated, the license holder carries a handgun under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, regardless of whether the handgun is concealed.
(e) A license holder who is licensed as a security officer under Chapter 1702, Occupations Code, and employed as a security officer commits an offense if, while in the course and scope of the security officer's employment, the security officer violates a provision of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code.
(f) In this section:
(1) "Amusement park" means a permanent indoor or outdoor facility or park where amusement rides are available for use by the public that is located in a county with a population of more than one million, encompasses at least 75 acres in surface area, is enclosed with access only through controlled entries, is open for operation more than 120 days in each calendar year, and has security guards on the premises at all times. The term does not include any public or private driveway, street, sidewalk or walkway, parking lot, parking garage, or other parking area.
(2) "License holder" means a person licensed to carry a handgun under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code.
(3) "Premises" means a building or a portion of a building. The term does not include any public or private driveway, street, sidewalk or walkway, parking lot, parking garage, or other parking area.
(g) An offense under Subsection (a), (b), (c), (d), or (e) is a Class A misdemeanor, unless the offense is committed under Subsection (b)(1) or (b)(3), in which event the offense is a felony of the third degree.
(h) It is a defense to prosecution under Subsection (a) that the actor, at the time of the commission of the offense, displayed the handgun under circumstances in which the actor would have been justified in the use of deadly force under Chapter 9.

Text of subsection as added by Acts 2007, 80th Leg., R.S., Ch. 1214 (http://www.legis.state.tx.us/tlodocs/80R/billtext/html/HB01889F.HTM), Sec. 2

[/QUOTE]

46.02 Unlawful carry proscribes the carry of handguns, illegal knives and clubs but not long guns. And 46.02 doesn't apply to CHL holders while carrying.

46.03 does proscribe the carry of long guns but bars are not listed as off limit locations in 46.03.

bithabus
12-15-2011, 00:34
I am aware of this. My question was a challenge.
Are you saying you already know the answer?

Lord
12-15-2011, 00:40

That "pamphlet", the official document from the TX DPS... contains the actual wording of the law. kind of a know it all aren't you?

bithabus
12-15-2011, 00:42
That "pamphlet", the official document from the TX DPS... contains the actual wording of the law. kind of a know it all aren't you?

You asked a question, I provided an answer above. Much misunderstanding is a result of poorly worded pamphlets and FAQs. For example, you didn't know you could lawfully carry a long gun into a 51% location.

Lord
12-15-2011, 00:45
You asked a question, I provided an answer above. Much misunderstanding is a result of poorly worded pamphlets and FAQs. For example, you didn't know you could lawfully carry a long gun into a 51% location.

I never said I didn't know that. I did say, however, that I would not want to be the test case on what happens if a person did. Once again, that "pamphlet" as you describe it, is the official document issued by TX DPS, so I have pretty good faith in what it says. Additionally, that "pamphlet" is for concealed HANDGUN licensees, not long guns.

bithabus
12-15-2011, 00:49
I never said I didn't know that. I did say, however, that I would not want to be the test case on what happens if a person did. Once again, that "pamphlet" as you describe it, is the official document issued by TX DPS, so I have pretty good faith in what it says.DPS has misinterpreted laws on at least several occasions. Additionally, that "pamphlet" is for concealed HANDGUN licensees, not long guns.
OK. The law that prohibits handgun carry inside 51% locations does not apply to long gun carry. Seems we are in agreement here.

Hour13
12-15-2011, 01:01
Well, the proverbial pissing contest aside, you know in what area Texas truly shines?

When it comes time for you to actually use your gun....

God.
Bless.
Texas.

RenegadeGlocker
12-15-2011, 07:00

Especially since that pamphlet is dated 2009-2010 and is thus out of date.

heliguy
12-16-2011, 08:50
uhhh. A jacket in TX? That seems odd...

Mornings have been in the 30's lately here in north TX..... How I long for ?South Florida!