Anyone with experience with Wilson Combat ARs [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone with experience with Wilson Combat ARs

HAIL CAESAR
12-04-2011, 19:45
I just had a discussion about WC ARs with the Representative of WC.

I had experience with them about 5 years ago. I am wondering if anyone has anything on the newer ones?

Al

MrMurphy
12-04-2011, 20:43
They know a lot about 1911s.

That does not necessarily translate.

And they cost way more than they should.

Bodyarmorguy
12-04-2011, 21:02
I have a Wilson UT-15 that I bought new in 2000'ish. Runs reliably and is the gun I use for 3 gun comp.

K. Foster
12-05-2011, 07:21
I have a friend that has one. 16" 1:9 barrel, 2 stage trigger, commercial buffer tube. As far as I can tell, it’s reliable and accurate enough but he doesn’t run it hard. I would compare it to a very expensive Stag with a 2 stage trigger but without a chrome lined barrel.

Caesar, can you be more specific on what info you’re looking for?

crazymoose
12-05-2011, 15:54
They know a lot about 1911s.

That does not necessarily translate.

And they cost way more than they should.

Agree 100%. Looking at the parts they use, the cost just isn't justified. On a 1911, parts fitting and assembly is vitally important. A master gunsmith's skill will translate into a truly superior product. On the AR-15, some guy with a torque wrench, some moly lube, and basic mechanical aptitude can assemble the rifle just as well as a guy who's been doing it for ten years. If they were building parts in house, it would be a different story, but I don't believe that they are.

The 1911 is like trying to build a table with dowel joints from a pile of wood using only hand tools. The AR-15 is like screwing together an IKEA book shelf.

HAIL CAESAR
12-05-2011, 16:42
The reason I ask is that I say a few of them 5 or so years ago. They were nothing special at all.....and ridiculously tight and expensive.

I was in a discussion with a Wilson Combat Rep and he said the guns are better now. Better rails, better barrels, better trigger, forged in house receivers,.....yada,yada.

But no disrespect to WC or any of their patrons.....BUT I DON'T GET IT!
Even if I start adding prices of the best (and most expensive) components in the industry.. I still can't reach WC's price tags.

K. Foster
12-05-2011, 19:28
Even if I start adding prices of the best (and most expensive) components in the industry.. I still can't reach WC's price tags.

Exactly. Their ARís arenít bad, but they do not justify the prices they ask for them. And in my opinion, they are not hard use guns.

HAIL CAESAR
12-05-2011, 19:37
I had a hard time holding to a civil discussion with him (although he is a nice guy). When he started talking about how they are the best ever and well worth every penny.

I kept asking exactly how are they better than a RRA that is way less than half the cost.

Singlestack Wonder
12-05-2011, 20:12
Wilson, Baer, etc. Expensive AR prices based on their expensive 1911's. Neither have long term experience with the AR/M16 platform or the environments they are intended for.

When Baer first started shipping their AR's, the castle nut was put on backwards, When pointed out, Les tried to explain that it was "Better that way". :whistling:

Go with proven manufacturers for a lot less money (Colt, BCM, Daniel Defense).