Gold Dot 124GR. +P GDHP "Short Barrel" OK in G19? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Gold Dot 124GR. +P GDHP "Short Barrel" OK in G19?

RTJ41
12-04-2011, 22:48
I just purchased these rounds today and realized they were "short barrel" and are supposedly optimal for 2 inch barrels. My G19barrel is 4 inches. Are these rounds OK to shoot in my 19 and still a reliable self defense round in my 19?

Thanks

Glockwork Orange
12-04-2011, 23:08
They should be fine...Gold Dot Short Barrel was designed for 3.5" barrels or less...the extra 1/2" in the 19 shouldn't change anything...

RTJ41
12-05-2011, 10:37
Is there ANY risk of damaging the barrel using these under normal conditions? Thanks

TX58
12-05-2011, 10:58
Is there ANY risk of damaging the barrel using these under normal conditions? Thanks

No, not from those rounds - by themselves. That said, there is always a risk if you use lead reloads then fire ANY ammunition through the barrel because the lead can cause a build up inside the barrel leading to unsafe pressures when firing additional rounds. Or it's possible someone made a mistake at the factory (it does happen) and you get a round with a double charge, etc.. But there is no risk under normal conditions of using those rounds through your Glock.

dkf
12-05-2011, 11:22

No. The short barrel loads are usually designed to expand a little faster than the standard versions. Once you use up the short barrel I'd just double check to make sure you have the standard GDs next time.

collim1
12-05-2011, 11:37
It is a bonded bullet they will be fine, even if they expand a little sooner. I have heard the SB load in .38 performs really well out of a 4" barrel revolver.

RTJ41
12-05-2011, 11:41
Much appreciated! Thanks for the help and for being thorough . I'm glad that they're good to go. .........and also - note taken on the lead ammo. Interesting. Is that just for lead "Reloads" and not standard lead ammo? Thanks.

TX58
12-05-2011, 15:13
Much appreciated! Thanks for the help and for being thorough . I'm glad that they're good to go. .........and also - note taken on the lead ammo. Interesting. Is that just for lead "Reloads" and not standard lead ammo? Thanks.

Both reloads and standard lead (factory ammunition) leave "smears" of lead on the barrel that can cause unsafe pressure in a Glock barrel. I have a friend who compeates A LOT, so all he did was buy an aftermarket barrel that has regular lands and grooves so he can shoot lead. Glocks have a different rifling then "regular" barrels - so there is no place for the lead to go if it smears in the barrel. Glock also says don't use reloads (even non-lead ones) in any of their firearms. I personally beleive that most of the Kabooms we hear about involving Glocks are people using re-loaded ammunition. Not all, but most.