Uniforms and Dress Clothes [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Uniforms and Dress Clothes

Line Rider
12-04-2011, 23:01
My department is going from the "class B" or "work" uniform to polo shirts and tactical pants. As an investigator I will now be wearing the same polo shirt and pants on duty as the patrol does. On days that I have to go to either Grand Jury or Court I have to wear dress shirt and tie.

Who else has gone to polos and tactical pants? If so, what do your
investigators wear?

DustyJacket
12-05-2011, 02:20
Doesn't body armor kinda stand out under a polo shirt?

Or has it improved greatly in the last 20 years, and is harder to see?

NMPOPS
12-05-2011, 02:34
My dept wears a plain blue (LAPD style) uniform. Investigators dress in "business casual" , jacket and tie are required court attire.

Sent from my Ally

CanIhaveGasCash
12-05-2011, 04:21
We have the option of wearing BDU's and Polo's and most do in the summer time. Our investigators wear pretty much whatever they want.

Line Rider
12-05-2011, 06:09
Doesn't body armor kinda stand out under a polo shirt?

Or has it improved greatly in the last 20 years, and is harder to see?

My department is using the Tru- Spec polo shirt, and them seem to very
generous in size.

collim1
12-05-2011, 06:12
Our guys can wear the Class B polo, or dress clothes it is up to them. Since budget cuts did away with thier clothing expense most choose to just wear the provided polos and Khaki's.

Only a couple wear body armor in plain clothes. I dont do much plain clothes work but I prefer dress clothes and weapon concealed if possible. On a call out the polo and BDU option is nice.

trdvet
12-05-2011, 06:46
Lucky

rookie1
12-05-2011, 09:20
Only Bicycle and street crimes officers can wear a polo. I wish we would get a summer polo but we are stuck with the crappy flying cross shirts.

DaBigBR
12-05-2011, 10:33
I've noticed the "polo shirt and tactical pants" "uniform" becoming more common and overall I'm not a big fan. That is, I'm seeing it become a replacement for an not an alternative to, a more traditional uniform. Along with this shift, most of the tactical pants are cotton blend, so in the blues and blacks that most departments wear, they fade out and look like crap. We have a couple guys that wear this "uniform" year round and their pants are a dark gray now, instead of the black they started with.

Having done the polo thing, I like it for certain things, but not others. My preference is a more traditional style uniform with sewn-on badges and name strips. You still have your shirt pockets, still look like a cop, and have stuff that is built to last.

k9medic
12-05-2011, 11:40
My department wears a polo with 5.11 or BDU style pants for normal duty, although we can also wear a standard uniform. Our policy is pretty liberal and as long as we look professional we can wear it (small dept.) I have actually worn Columbia fishing style zippered pants with my polo.

IV. Uniform and Equipment

A. Department authorized uniforms are described as follows:

1. Dress Uniform – This uniform is reserved for occasions requiring a high degree of attention to detail such as attendance at court proceedings, award ceremonies and funerals. It consists of the following:

a. Long Sleeve Shirts
b. Campaign hat
c. Necktie with tie bar
d. Gun-belt with authorized equipment:
e. Uniform insignia
f. High Gloss Patent leather footwear
g. Whistle Chain
h. Rank Insignia
i. Trousers

2. Class A Uniform – This uniform is similar in appearance to the dress uniform with the exception that it is authorized for normal duty utilization:

a. Long or Short Sleeve Shirts
b. Campaign hat (optional)
c. Necktie with tie bar (optional)
d. Gun-belt with authorized equipment:
e. Uniform insignia
f. Footwear as authorized
g. Whistle Chain
h. Rank Insignia
i. Trousers

3. Class B Uniform – This uniform is the preferred uniform for all daily operations. It is not to be worn for court appearances, or in situations that would dictate a more professional appearance:

a. Polo or golf styles collared shirt with department embroidered badge and Officer name.

b. Black, Navy blue or Khaki colored BDU, “cargo” style, or straight leg pants or shorts, provided that the pants are not worn “bloused” over footwear.

c. Gun-belt with authorized equipment OR if a gun belt is not worn, Officers will wear their firearm in approved holster, and must at a minimum, carry handcuffs and one magazine suitable for reloading the carried firearm.

d. The department badge shall be worn in a conspicuous manner on the belt nearest the exposed firearm as applicable.

e. Footwear as authorized

f. “Baseball style” hat is authorized

4. Class C Uniform – This uniform is authorized to be worn during training events or during other times as designated by the Chief:

a. T-shirt or other style shirt OR jacket that has prominent writing identifying the Officer as a “Police Officer”, “Officer” or other indicia of authority plainly visible.

b. Authorized firearm in approved holster, and must at a minimum, carry handcuffs and one magazine suitable for reloading the carried firearm.

c. The department badge shall be worn in a conspicuous manner on the belt nearest the exposed firearm as applicable

5. Plain clothes Uniform – This uniform is to be worn at the discretion of the Chief and is described as “business casual” consisting of at minimum:

a. Dress pants

b. Long sleeve shirt and neck tie OR Polo or golf styled collared shot sleeve shirt.

c. Authorized firearm in approved holster, and must at a minimum, carry handcuffs and one magazine suitable for reloading the carried firearm.

d. The department badge shall be worn in a conspicuous manner on the belt nearest the exposed firearm as applicable

e. Dress style footwear

f. Female officers may wear conservative clothing that will still allow the Officer to take police action if needed. Female Officers must maintain compliance with sections “C and D” of this policy. Shoes with a heel are not authorized for wear.

6. “Other” uniforms - At the discretion of the Chief, an Officer may wear clothing that is appropriate for their duty assignment. Examples include marine patrol operations or under cover assignments. Conservative dress for female officers or a “coat and tie” for male officers will always be considered appropriate for court proceedings.

collim1
12-05-2011, 11:43
I've noticed the "polo shirt and tactical pants" "uniform" becoming more common and overall I'm not a big fan. That is, I'm seeing it become a replacement for an not an alternative to, a more traditional uniform. Along with this shift, most of the tactical pants are cotton blend, so in the blues and blacks that most departments wear, they fade out and look like crap. We have a couple guys that wear this "uniform" year round and their pants are a dark gray now, instead of the black they started with.

Having done the polo thing, I like it for certain things, but not others. My preference is a more traditional style uniform with sewn-on badges and name strips. You still have your shirt pockets, still look like a cop, and have stuff that is built to last.

I wear a Class A every shift by choice. I only wear the Class B for training and call outs.

As of recent, per new chief, the Class A is mandatory on Day shift for patrol.

I never cared for the class B uniform look.

CanIhaveGasCash
12-05-2011, 15:11

There is always that one guy that has worn the same 100% cotton pants every day for the last 5 years. It looks like crap. I prefer the 5.11 rip stop pants, they seem to fade very little over time.

Also the biggest annoyance of the polo is not having pockets for pens, phones, and everything else I put in there. They sure are comfortable though.

collim1
12-05-2011, 17:18

Although expensive, the Woolite Dark detergent prevents fading for years.

BamaTrooper
12-05-2011, 18:22
We have Class A and Class B uniforms. Class B are for CVE/MotorCarrier guys and dog handlers.
Polos can be worn by bomb guys and training staff.
We have mandatory long sleeve dates Dec1 started it this year. Otherwise long sleeves are mandatory for ceremonies, funerals, etc...

ateamer
12-05-2011, 18:46
We have:
Class A - long sleeve shirt, wool pants, tie, Ike jacket, Smokey hat (only used for funerals and academy inspections)
Class B - short or long sleeve, wool pants, optional tie, optional Smokey
Class C - short or long sleeve, Blauer cargo pocket pants, ball cap
Class D - Not entirely sure, as it's a Corrections Bureau standard, but I think it's short or long sleeve with sewn-on badge and nametag and Blauer pants
Class E - Polo and shorts or bike patrol pants

We wear Class B or C for patrol. Court appearances on duty are, on paper, to be made in Class B with tie, but in the real world, it's in whatever uniform you are wearing. If it's for a jury trial, a lot of guys will change from C into B with a tie. Otherwise, it's a suit and tie for court.

lawman800
12-06-2011, 01:06
We are in the process of adding a patrol polo shirt and 5.11 pants as an alternative to the traditional uniform. I still like the traditional uniform but I really love the extra cargo pockets and the way bigger front and back pockets of the 5.11 type pants. The only con is that with way bigger pockets, you have to buy a pocket organizer to prevent all the stuff from flying around in there.

Also, you can bang up your cell phone quite well on the side of your leg. Then there are those guys who load up their cargo pockets so much they end up looking like WW2 Nazi officers doing a tour in North Africa.

I intend to keep the same tightly tailored appearance in polos as I do with the traditional uniform. Hey, I work out hard for this body and I am not going to hide it under big and baggy shirts. Gang bangers can do that because they are fat girly men.

Morris
12-06-2011, 13:38
Hey LR,

What was the reason given for transitioning from B's to polos?

For us, the transition from Bs to Bratwear came down to one simple thing: cost.

lawman800
12-06-2011, 15:51
Ours was because the younger guys wanted to look cool.

Morris
12-06-2011, 19:13
Ours was because the younger guys wanted to look cool.

Naturally. Guess history is not important to them, eh?

lawman800
12-06-2011, 19:42
To be fair, comfort has a lot to do with it.

Hack
12-06-2011, 23:08
We have these options: http://www.bopmeyers.com, and more.

lawman800
12-07-2011, 01:32

Sorry, does the BOP in bopmeyers stand for your employer?:wow:

Also, the "tactical" jacket on the top right does not look very tactical at all.:rofl:

Line Rider
12-07-2011, 06:19
Hey LR,

What was the reason given for transitioning from B's to polos?

For us, the transition from Bs to Bratwear came down to one simple thing: cost.

My department has changed for two reason. The first was that we've bought the class B uniforms from three of four different manufactures. The problem has been after about three months the shirt and pants don't match. The second reason is comfort. We usually have 60 and 70 degree temps until December. It has been in the 70's during Christmas.

Pepper45
12-07-2011, 15:08
We wear either 5.11 Tactical line, or the "EMT" style BDU trousers and traditional shirts from Flying Cross. During the summer months, we're authorized to wear a polo. I tried it, and I like it. I stay cooler, and working the more active shifts, I like that it's breathable, and allows me more flexibility.

Court is still either at least shirt and tie, or full uniform. Polo shirts aren't acceptable for court attire.

Bodyarmorguy
12-07-2011, 15:54
Our Class A is standard uniform pants, long sleeve shirt and ties, all navy blue.
The modified Class A is the same as above minus the tie
Our Class B is standard uniform pants, short sleeve shirt, all navy blue, no tie.
Our Class C is 5.11 pants (black) and 5.11 tactical shirt (black)
Our Boat uniform is 5.11 pants (black) or Blauer shorts (navy) with a Class B uniform shirt (white).

The Chief and the Lieutenants, at the Chief's direction, wear the Class A year round.
Sergeants, Corporals and Officers assigned to Patrol or terminal security may wear the A, modified A or B, depending on the weather and preference.

Investigators wear slacks, dress shirts and ties.

Bodyarmorguy
12-07-2011, 15:57

Sorry, does the BOP in bopmeyers stand for your employer?:wow:

Yeah, I think the BOP is for Bureau of Prisons

AZLawDawg
12-07-2011, 16:00
We have:
Class A - long sleeve shirt, wool pants, tie, Ike jacket, Smokey hat (only used for funerals and academy inspections)
Class B - short or long sleeve, wool pants, optional tie, optional Smokey
Class C - short or long sleeve, Blauer cargo pocket pants, ball cap

This is pretty much our deal as well. Investigators here dress either in business casual or street clothes depending on assignment. Court requires a jacket and tie.