Sheriff Joe's office makes the news again [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Sheriff Joe's office makes the news again

WarCry
12-04-2011, 22:46
I'm posting this here because I didn't want it to turn immediately into a "bad cop, big surprise" kind of thread, but this really IS bad juju.

'Tough' sheriff botched sex-crime cases (http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/12/04/9206672-critics-tough-sheriff-botched-sex-crime-cases)

In El Mirage alone, where Arpaio's office was providing contract police services, officials discovered at least 32 reported child molestations with victims as young as 2 years old where the sheriff's office failed to follow through, even though suspects were known in all but six cases.

That meant there were no follow-up reports, no collection of additional forensic evidence and zero effort made after the initial report of the crime was taken.

I'd like to know what the full story is, but the sheriff's department isn't talking, even going so far as to (apparently) deny FOIA requests. Even just based on the allegations, I think a full-blown investigation is warranted.

mj9mm
12-04-2011, 22:57
wow, i hope there is another side to this story, he has been one of my hero's because of his old school ways :cool:

blueiron
12-04-2011, 23:40
wow, i hope there is another side to this story, he has been one of my hero's because of his old school ways :cool:

Better pick another hero. He is an incompetent clown and has been since he was employed at DEA.

http://www.abc15.com/dpp/news/region_west_valley/el_mirage/critics%3A-%27tough%27-sheriff-botched-sex-crime-cases

Patchman
12-05-2011, 04:48
Failed to investigate, or badly investigated at least 32 sex crimes against children? That does get one's attention... :whistling:

Sam Spade
12-05-2011, 07:19
Slow down. The vast majority of suspected molestations with known suspects come up in divorce and child custody battles. They don't warrant forensic exams, repeated interviews of the kids and the CSI: Maricopa full court press because the complaining parent is bat-**** crazy. Or evil.

Tell me the surrounding details on these allegations, and then I'll get the pitchfork. No fan of Sheriff Joe, not even a little, but let's hear the real background.

OXCOPS
12-05-2011, 07:30
On a side note, it is ironic that no one in Arizona likes Joe, while everyone outside the state love him. He is a ****** bag.

WarCry
12-05-2011, 07:37
Slow down. The vast majority of suspected molestations with known suspects come up in divorce and child custody battles. They don't warrant forensic exams, repeated interviews of the kids and the CSI: Maricopa full court press because the complaining parent is bat-**** crazy. Or evil.

Tell me the surrounding details on these allegations, and then I'll get the pitchfork. No fan of Sheriff Joe, not even a little, but let's hear the real background.

Yeah, I really do hope there's more to the story like this, but as I said, simply based on the allegations, I don't think pitchforks are needed, but I do think an investigation by a (preferably) outside agency is warranted.

blueiron
12-05-2011, 11:59
The numbers range from over 400 to 500.

Well, even if only two percent of the allegations are legitimate, isn't that too many? Illegal alien or not, slimebag or not, whatever their parents immigration or criminal status may be - these children should have never be victimized and the criminal complaints should have fully be investigated.

Anyone actively involved in this nonfeasance of justice deserves to be terminated.

I know Mike Frazier [he is currently the CLEO of Surprise PD. I know several El Mirage officers and supervisors. I believe their statements. The things I have heard about this are frankly deserving of a criminal conspiracy indictment in the Grand Jury.

Even if there is only one victim, they deserve a determined and legitimate investigation.

aztnb
12-05-2011, 15:29
a lot of people in AZ like and support him. don't know where you get your info that most people here do not like him, that is not true.

blueiron
12-05-2011, 16:03
a lot of people in AZ like and support him. don't know where you get your info that most people here do not like him, that is not true.

It is most likely that you are part of the SCA, are not a cop, or have never bothered to objectively look at Arpaio's actual record.

I live in Arizona, have worked in Maricopa County as a cop before Arpaio was elected and well into his first three terms as sheriff, and I can clearly state that as screwed up as Jerry Hill, Godbehere, and other sheriffs were; Arpaio is a laughingstock in professional law enforcement.

Con43
12-05-2011, 16:03
On a side note, it is ironic that no one in Arizona likes Joe, while everyone outside the state love him. He is a ****** bag.

The voters seem to like him :whistling:

blueiron
12-05-2011, 16:11
The voters seem to like him :whistling:

Sun City, Sun City West, Sun CIty Grand, Fountain Hills, Leisure World, and the angry reactionaries are hardly a viable endorsement for responsible governance of the MCSO or law enforcement.

Based on your logic, you should support Obama, Pelosi, Boxer, Reid, Feinstein, Murray, et al. based on solely on their appeal to certain voters. Raul Grijalva is from Arizona too. Do you support his brand of politics?

gasboffer
12-05-2011, 16:13
MSNBC? I'd be skeptical of any reporting they did.

blueiron
12-05-2011, 16:15
Law enforcement isn't about popularity contests or winning elections. It is all about conducting impartial investigations into allegations of criminal acts and objectively presenting the facts as they are known to a prosecutorial agency for them to present in a court of law for a possible conviction.

If an agency or an individual cannot do this, then they are a failure.

blueiron
12-05-2011, 16:21

Did you read the sources quoted?

Here are the criticisms of an Arizona libertarian / right wing think tank:

http://goldwaterinstitute.org/article/justice-denied-improper-clearance-unsolved-crimes-maricopa-county-sheriffs-office

http://goldwaterinstitute.org/article/mission-unaccomplished-misplaced-priorities-maricopa-county-sheriffs-office

http://goldwaterinstitute.org/article/mcsos-flaws-result-misguided-mission

OXCOPS
12-05-2011, 17:25
Joe reminds me of a retarded J. Edgar Hoover. Starting investigations on political figures, but too dumb to keep it secret.

WarCry
12-05-2011, 17:31

It's an AP Wire report.

CW Mock
12-05-2011, 17:58
Joe reminds me of a retarded J. Edgar Hoover. Starting investigations on political figures, but too dumb to keep it secret.

Most awesome post I have read all day! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

OXCOPS
12-05-2011, 18:10
If he comes out of the closet, that would cap it all off.

ateamer
12-05-2011, 18:32
I am so glad that I don't work for that buffoon. He's an embarrassment to professional law enforcement officers.

Dukeboy01
12-05-2011, 18:42
Let's see, is it possible that if your chief law enforcement executive of your agency becomes a media whore devoted to self- promotion that your basic day- to- day law enforcement responsibilities might become less important?

blueiron
12-05-2011, 21:03
Maybe this is enough proof for some of his fan base...

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2011/12/05/20111205arpaio-apologizes-botched-cases.html

People are all to willing to be critical of politicians with whom they disagree with and all the willing to excuse anything from politicians who claim their views. As Americans, we all better be critical of every politician and question their motives, actions, and inactions.

mj9mm
12-05-2011, 21:25
lessons to be learned by all :crying:

Streetking
12-05-2011, 22:38
Blueiron
Your opinions sound much like those of a political rival.

blueiron
12-05-2011, 23:32
Blueiron

As if!

I have never run for political office and I will never run for political office.

I hate incompetence, especially when it causes victims to never see the justice they deserve.

Rather than critiquing me, why don't you show some outrage for the injustice that these children have to undergo? There are a lot of people who are willing to throw these children under the proverbial bus for the illusion of safety that Arpaio cultivates, yet not one of you fanboys can muster the empathy for the juvenile victims of sexual assault or sexual abuse and the incompetence that they have been shown by the very person that willingly undertook the oath to defend them and arrest those responsible for violating them.

Are you still going to defend him if your child is raped or molested and he does nothing about it then?

blueiron
12-05-2011, 23:34
Blueiron

Don't bother to respond. I don't care to hear your defense of the indefensible and you are already on the ignore list.

cowboywannabe
12-06-2011, 03:29

i have to repost this based on my experiences....

Mayhem like Me
12-06-2011, 08:54
Hmmm A Sheriff tough on immigration...

Hundreds of cases involving Illegals as victims underinvestigated...

Intersted to see who will be sacrificed on this one...

The Teflon Sheriff can stand only so much heat before the thin veneer startes to flake off and he is exposed..

This will be very intersting to follow and see what shakes out, and who ends up going against him.

steveksux
12-06-2011, 09:11
Sam's right, for the most part. Once they sort out the revenge/divorce cases that are obviously bogus, then tally them up and see where you are.

I still think, however, that it sounds like there was a failure to do any investigation at all in a lot of these cases, so they had no idea if they were dealing with bogus cases or likely criminal behavior. And that is a failure no matter how many of the uninvestigated cases turn out to be bogus now that you finally look into them years later...

Randy

WarCry
12-06-2011, 17:07
Sam's right, for the most part. Once they sort out the revenge/divorce cases that are obviously bogus, then tally them up and see where you are.

I still think, however, that it sounds like there was a failure to do any investigation at all in a lot of these cases, so they had no idea if they were dealing with bogus cases or likely criminal behavior. And that is a failure no matter how many of the uninvestigated cases turn out to be bogus now that you finally look into them years later...

Randy

100% agree.

See, I'd be willing to state the obviously absurd and say it COULD be that EVERY SINGLE ONE of these cases was just "sour grapes" of couples divorcing or whatever.

But the only way to KNOW that is to find out, through investigation. That's where the ball was dropped, from my POV.

Con43
12-06-2011, 18:40
Sun City, Sun City West, Sun CIty Grand, Fountain Hills, Leisure World, and the angry reactionaries are hardly a viable endorsement for responsible governance of the MCSO or law enforcement.

Based on your logic, you should support Obama, Pelosi, Boxer, Reid, Feinstein, Murray, et al. based on solely on their appeal to certain voters. Raul Grijalva is from Arizona too. Do you support his brand of politics?

I simpley stated that the voters of his county must like him as he keeps getting re-elected. That is not logic that is a fact,as is also the fact that voters in the districts of those you mention also must like them enough to keep re-electing them. That is not my logic that is the voters choice. But hey,......don't let me spoil a perfectly good rant :crying:..

Streetking
12-06-2011, 23:54
Blueiron
Obviously you are emotionally charged which is interfering with sound logic. He's been re-elected how many times? I really don't care what list I'm on. Grow up.

johnson8861
12-07-2011, 01:55
Blueiron
Obviously you are emotionally charged which is interfering with sound logic. He's been re-elected how many times? I really don't care what list I'm on. Grow up.
I gotta agree with the above, grow up.

ateamer
12-07-2011, 12:07
Bowney Fwank and Ted "I'll crahss thaht bridge when I come to it" Kennedy were re-elected every time they ran, too. So was Saddam.

OXCOPS
12-07-2011, 16:31
Blueiron

I gotta agree with the above, grow up.

Lots of reasons why someone is re-elected.

1. People vote by party only.
2. People vote for the incumbant because he is already there.
3. People vote cause they remember his name.
4. People vote for someone as their way of voting AGAINST the other guy. (2010 congressional elections)

Point still remains that Joe is a *********. Most of the things he does are for political and personal gain. He is a true showman. He loves to be in front of the camera. What may have started out at a tough stance on crime soon brought on the media, to which he is using to his advantage.

However, what doesn't get reported outside of the state is that he is constantly involved in financial mis-management allegations, initiating investigations against county board members, county attorneys and other political figures when he doesn't get his way. This has ended up costing the county and state taxpayers MILLIONS of dollars.

Joe may have good ideas on tough law enforcement, but those ideas are often clouded by his personal vendettas and self-promotion.

Sam Spade
12-07-2011, 20:19
Blueiron, Ox and I are/were LE in Arizona.

How about you guys, Streetking and Johnson? Already know that you don't live or work here, so do you have enough LE time to make any worthwhile judgement whatsoever on professional issues?

Yeah, yeah, he got elected. So did O. You think the democrats have a corner on idiot voters?

fatfred
12-09-2011, 11:22
A sheriff has two main jobs. Investigate crimes and maintain a jail. I will go with Blueiron's word on the investigation part as I have read his posts before and I think he has got his head on straight.

Sheriff Joe has failed on the jail as too many people die in his lockup, some under questionable circumstances. Google his jail deaths, the county has paid out somewhere in 8 figures since he has been sheriff.