Mounting positions for a red dot [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Mounting positions for a red dot

catalyst686
12-05-2011, 03:31
I want my red dot as far forward as possible on my flat top ar in order to have a bit of space between my magnifier and red dot, I know that bridging the gap it a no no. My main question is, if the red dot hangs over the rail, but it only secured to the flat top receiver, is that ok? As long as the red dot is fastened to the receiver part I don't think It'll cause an issue, I could be wrong though.... I'll post a pic once I get my new phone tmrw.

faawrenchbndr
12-05-2011, 03:41
Would be best to have all the mount supported by the receiver.
You will just have to try it and see if it holds zero. Dependimg upon the mount,
it may "wobble" a bit, thus opening shot groupings a bit.

Wish I had a better answer,.....I've just never tried that

boomhower
12-05-2011, 04:03
Don't bridge the gap. There are cantilever mounts that will get out there a bit farther.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

MStarmer
12-05-2011, 12:54
I guess it would depend on your sight and mount. It may take a bit of trial and error or just going to Larue and getting the set up that works from the get go. My wife wanted to try a magnifier for her Eotech but didn't want a rail system so after a few tries and Marshall's help we ended up with this. Not as fancy as some but it can be done on the receiver without cantilevers and such.

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg68/mstarmer/Magnifier.jpg

TangoFoxtrot
12-08-2011, 13:35
I want my red dot as far forward as possible on my flat top ar in order to have a bit of space between my magnifier and red dot, I know that bridging the gap it a no no. My main question is, if the red dot hangs over the rail, but it only secured to the flat top receiver, is that ok? As long as the red dot is fastened to the receiver part I don't think It'll cause an issue, I could be wrong though.... I'll post a pic once I get my new phone tmrw.

This is just a suggestion, but the less junk you have mounted the better. Consider if you really need the optic or whether its just AR bling. Remember the more you add the more it weighs and the less proficient you may become with your rifle...Just fuel for thought, not meant to break your stones.

M&P15T
12-08-2011, 14:04
This is just a suggestion, but the less junk you have mounted the better. Consider if you really need the optic or whether its just AR bling. Remember the more you add the more it weighs and the less proficient you may become with your rifle...Just fuel for thought, not meant to break your stones.

Not to bust your stones, but "the less junk you have mounted the better" is simply your opinion on the matter. I would imagine that the OP definitely does not consider his optics "mounted junk", or he wouldn't be coming here asking how to mount them properly.

And I'd simply love for you to explain how mounting an RDO makes one less proficient with their rifle.

mjkeat
12-08-2011, 16:37
Not to bust your stones, but "the less junk you have mounted the better" is simply your opinion on the matter. I would imagine that the OP definitely does not consider his optics "mounted junk", or he wouldn't be coming here asking how to mount them properly.

And I'd simply love for you to explain how mounting an RDO makes one less proficient with their rifle.

He does have a point. Weight causes fatigue and fatigue will effect performance.

-----

The cantilever someone mentioned earlier would probably work for you.

catalyst686
12-08-2011, 17:23
I got a different optic and my set up looks similar to the pic that is posted above. Thanks for the help!

M&P15T
12-09-2011, 08:56
He does have a point. Weight causes fatigue and fatigue will effect performance.

Haven't we covered this topic enough already? Haven't we gotten to the understanding that things like optics on ARs are pretty much standard, and that their benefits faaaaaar out-weigh any negatives for their users?

I also do not recall the OP saying that weight (ounces?) is an issue for him, so why would you and TangoFoxtrot assume that it is? How about you guys ask the OP how he uses his rifle, and if weight is a consideration first?

JBUS
12-09-2011, 17:30
I like Mstarmer's solution.

It all depends on how you will be using your rifle. Just make an honest assessment of yourself and the weapon's usage and if you don't care about weight. Some care, some don't. Either way, you'll be good.

I run my LE6920 in patrol and have searched large areas for hours in the heat ( I know, whaa whaa whaa!) but I learned a few things and that was to be thankful for a M4 with a T-1 and no frivolous BS hanging off it. Unlike a few of my partners who went home after that day and stripped off Redi-Mags and buttstock pouches and the like....one even sold his magnifier.

mjkeat
12-09-2011, 18:23
Haven't we covered this topic enough already? Haven't we gotten to the understanding that things like optics on ARs are pretty much standard, and that their benefits faaaaaar out-weigh any negatives for their users?

I also do not recall the OP saying that weight (ounces?) is an issue for him, so why would you and TangoFoxtrot assume that it is? How about you guys ask the OP how he uses his rifle, and if weight is a consideration first?

I simply stated that TF had a valid point. I made no assumptions as to the OP's needs or use.

Weight no matter what the measurment always has the ability to become an issue whether you're 100 pounds or a 245 pound athlete.

AK_Stick
12-09-2011, 19:39
I like Mstarmer's solution.

It all depends on how you will be using your rifle. Just make an honest assessment of yourself and the weapon's usage and if you don't care about weight. Some care, some don't. Either way, you'll be good.

I run my LE6920 in patrol and have searched large areas for hours in the heat ( I know, whaa whaa whaa!) but I learned a few things and that was to be thankful for a M4 with a T-1 and no frivolous BS hanging off it. Unlike a few of my partners who went home after that day and stripped off Redi-Mags and buttstock pouches and the like....one even sold his magnifier.

If a redi-mag or magnifier is enough that you're having trouble carrying a rifle for a few hours, might need to adjust some life choices.

M&P15T
12-10-2011, 08:52
I simply stated that TF had a valid point. I made no assumptions as to the OP's needs or use.

Weight no matter what the measurment always has the ability to become an issue whether you're 100 pounds or a 245 pound athlete.

Stick to them guns son!!!:rofl::rofl:

mjkeat
12-10-2011, 15:02
Stick to them guns son!!!:rofl::rofl:

Ok you win, weight has no bearing on possible fatigue and fatigue has no effect on a shooter.

JBUS
12-10-2011, 18:34
If a redi-mag or magnifier is enough that you're having trouble carrying a rifle for a few hours, might need to adjust some life choices.

We won't get into that....I said my peace when I saw it happening. They made fun of me for wearing my OSOE Micro Rig in the beginning but weren't laughing at the end.

Let's not start on the guys showing up with Eo's and magnifiers and stripping the magnifiers off 2 hours into a tactical rifle class.....then again, these guys work inside, all day in the jails.

cowboy1964
12-10-2011, 20:19

If you lugging the AR 50 miles a day, yeah weight is critical.

An EoTech weighs less than a loaded Glock 21 mag. Big whoop.

mjkeat
12-10-2011, 20:27
If you lugging the AR 50 miles a day, yeah weight is critical.

An EoTech weighs less than a loaded Glock 21 mag. Big whoop.

I'm confused then. Whats the big deal over lightening ARs for 3gun and the marketing and time spent by all these AR and parts manufacturers over lightweight parts?

owl6roll
12-11-2011, 20:17
Hang out at ready gun for about 6 minutes, several times in a trainiing session, you'll see stuff flying off them rifles.

Mayhem like Me
12-12-2011, 11:13
I'm confused then. Whats the big deal over lightening ARs for 3gun and the marketing and time spent by all these AR and parts manufacturers over lightweight parts?

Yes you are and it's OK.. Marketing exists to confuse and muddy the issues..

A superlightweight gun that breaks on the range is OK, it sucks when you have to engage someone shooting at you and your super LW 3 gun blaster comes up NONFUNC.

Mayhem like Me
12-12-2011, 11:14
Hang out at ready gun for about 6 minutes, several times in a trainiing session, you'll see stuff flying off them rifles.

OR you will see those who train to win succeed because they put in the prep time to get physically fit...

mjkeat
12-12-2011, 22:47
Yes you are and it's OK.. Marketing exists to confuse and muddy the issues..

A superlightweight gun that breaks on the range is OK, it sucks when you have to engage someone shooting at you and your super LW 3 gun blaster comes up NONFUNC.

Yeah I know. I've heard bad, bad things about BCM, DD and Geissele when it comes to reliability and longevity. The A5 buffer extension is horrible for reliability as well. Sometimes I wish I could sell the things but nobody will purchase it. It's quite embarrassing to be seen w/. So sad

AK_Stick
12-13-2011, 00:43
Yeah I know. I've heard bad, bad things about BCM, DD and Geissele when it comes to reliability and longevity. The A5 buffer extension is horrible for reliability as well. Sometimes I wish I could sell the things but nobody will purchase it. It's quite embarrassing to be seen w/. So sad

I think you missed his point.

While all of the big makers make light weight, 3 gun/match/whatever parts, every one of them, will steer you a different way for a duty gun.

Not saying one can't do the other, but they're built with a purpose. And you should remember what that purpose is when you're discussing the pros/cons of different set ups.

mjkeat
12-14-2011, 21:01
I think you missed his point.

While all of the big makers make light weight, 3 gun/match/whatever parts, every one of them, will steer you a different way for a duty gun.

Not saying one can't do the other, but they're built with a purpose. And you should remember what that purpose is when you're discussing the pros/cons of different set ups.

Good point.

I'm very aware of that and don't use a typical space gun like AR when shooting 3 gun. I use ARs I would have taken in place of my M4, minus PEQ and especially the 550 cord tie downs. ARs I would actually "use".

My statement about being confused was me being facetious.

All I know is fatigue is a huge issue and that was the point of my original post in this thread.

M&P15T
12-15-2011, 10:01

You used the correct word...marketing.

There always has to be a new direction to go product-wise. It's sales.

Now, weight can certainly be an issue if you have to carry your weapon all-day, no doubt about it. But for range/HD/SD use, weight is pretty much a non-factor.

3 gun? Dunno, never dont one. It sounds like a video-game played in real life, running and gunning. Do I have that correct, or is there a better way to describe it?

M&P15T
12-15-2011, 10:03

Odd, every time a new video of one of our Military folks engaged in a fire-fight pops up, they seem to have ACOGs, VFGs, Quad-rails, lasers/lights, and all sorts of stuff on them.

What's this "ready gun" you speak of, some Military jargon?

mjkeat
12-15-2011, 10:19
You used the correct word...marketing.

There always has to be a new direction to go product-wise. It's sales.

Now, weight can certainly be an issue if you have to carry your weapon all-day, no doubt about it. But for range/HD/SD use, weight is pretty much a non-factor.

3 gun? Dunno, never dont one. It sounds like a video-game played in real life, running and gunning. Do I have that correct, or is there a better way to describe it?

It's about getting the products the people want to the people. LW is in high demand from all levels of users.

You don't have to be in the middle of a class or carrying your AR all day to see the benefits of a lighter firearm. Even at the range weight can be an issue depending on what you're doing.

For me 3gun is as close to the real thing I can get anymore. As a father and husband my 11B days are over but I still like to dabble from time to time. It does however depend on the range cadre and how they set up the stages but it can be decent "training" for us who don't have the time to fly out to a good carbine course. It's much better than shooting off a bench or doing nothing.

How are your range trips spent?

M&P15T
12-15-2011, 12:02
It's about getting the products the people want to the people. LW is in high demand from all levels of users.

You don't have to be in the middle of a class or carrying your AR all day to see the benefits of a lighter firearm. Even at the range weight can be an issue depending on what you're doing.

For me 3gun is as close to the real thing I can get anymore. As a father and husband my 11B days are over but I still like to dabble from time to time. It does however depend on the range cadre and how they set up the stages but it can be decent "training" for us who don't have the time to fly out to a good carbine course. It's much better than shooting off a bench or doing nothing.

How are your range trips spent?

Just punching paper, shooting small stuff like clay pigeons and empty cans. Shooting standard targets gets boring fast, so I like shooting stuff that reacts so I know I'm hitting my target. Trying to see tiny .22 holes in paper at 50-100+ yards is impossible since I don't have a spotting scope, and Eotechs aren't meant to be target shooting type optics.

I can totally understand your 11B days influencing what you like. I was never in the Military, so I've never had weight be an issue. If I was at the range and my AR felt heavy (it never has, but ya never know), I'd just set it down....no biggie.

Funny, my AR has an Eotech and TD VFG, and I only put the sling on when I'm at the range. One of the people that run the range I go to picked up my AR this past Sunday, grinned, and said he liked how light it was.:supergrin:

mjkeat
12-15-2011, 18:19
Just punching paper, shooting small stuff like clay pigeons and empty cans. Shooting standard targets gets boring fast, so I like shooting stuff that reacts so I know I'm hitting my target. Trying to see tiny .22 holes in paper at 50-100+ yards is impossible since I don't have a spotting scope, and Eotechs aren't meant to be target shooting type optics.

I can totally understand your 11B days influencing what you like. I was never in the Military, so I've never had weight be an issue. If I was at the range and my AR felt heavy (it never has, but ya never know), I'd just set it down....no biggie.

Funny, my AR has an Eotech and TD VFG, and I only put the sling on when I'm at the range. One of the people that run the range I go to picked up my AR this past Sunday, grinned, and said he liked how light it was.:supergrin:

Cool, I use the same TD.

I guess my point was that we all expect different things from our rifles. You saying weight doesn't matter or me saying weight is an issue are equally wrong or right depending on what the intended purpose or the users background and experience/experiences.

Matthew Courtney
12-16-2011, 16:51

It's never one or 2 things, but by the time a recoil pad, flashlight, front handle, spare parts kit, BUIS, dual exhaust, and kickstands are added, the life choices begin to look like an Iron Man prep. Heck a rail to mount all that stuff to weighs more than a half pound more than an M-4 handguard.

NeverMore1701
12-16-2011, 17:09
My rifle is too heaaaaaaaaaaaavy, the guy's next to me is too loooooooooud :crying::crying::crying:

God gun people can be a bunch of pansies.

pmcjury
12-16-2011, 17:13
I would make sure the rdo is securly mounted with no wiggle. This probably means supporting the entire optic on the receiver, but the only way to be sure is to try it both ways

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine