So, Just "what" do "you" guys do? And do you "do" it? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : So, Just "what" do "you" guys do? And do you "do" it?

cadillacguns
12-05-2011, 05:39
Say you reside in a state that only allows you to only carry ten (10) rounds of ammo on your magazine. You have a CCW permit to carry concealed in another state through reciprocity that allows you to carry more than ten (10) rounds in a magazine, and you decide to visit and carry. Your probably not going to buy a standard capacity mag for a short stay trip like a family vacation to Disney World, do you borrow one or more from a family member if you can, rent them from a Gun shop (Don't think they do that), or just go with what you know?:dunno:

Thank God I live in the free state of Indiana, but was wondering. Might even work in reverse, visiting a state that has a magazine capacity limitation, and your from a standard capacity state, I guess of course you follow the CCW rules of the state your visiting, like I do when I go to Michigan.

thanks for the replies.:wavey:

Bren
12-05-2011, 05:51
If I lived in a state that restricted magazine capacity, the obvious answer would be to go up in caliber - If I can't carry more rounds, then I'll carry more powerful rounds. So I'd probably be carrying a gun that maxes out around my 10 rounds anyhow (maybe even a 6-shot revolver). a 10mm comes to mind.

As for going to the other state, I wouldn't change anything. It's nice to be able to carry any magazine you want, but not very important to self-defense. I wouldn't mind carrying a 10-round mag. At worst, carry a spare. Reloading is a fundamental skill and if you practice it should take about a second or 2.

xmanhockey7
12-05-2011, 05:55
Say you reside in a state that only allows you to only carry ten (10) rounds of ammo on your magazine. You have a CCW permit to carry concealed in another state through reciprocity that allows you to carry more than ten (10) rounds in a magazine, and you decide to visit and carry. Your probably not going to buy a standard capacity mag for a short stay trip like a family vacation to Disney World, do you borrow one or more from a family member if you can, rent them from a Gun shop (Don't think they do that), or just go with what you know?:dunno:

Thank God I live in the free state of Indiana, but was wondering. Might even work in reverse, visiting a state that has a magazine capacity limitation, and your from a standard capacity state, I guess of course you follow the CCW rules of the state your visiting, like I do when I go to Michigan.

What state are you talking about?

happyguy
12-05-2011, 06:04
I'd just go with what I have and not sweat the small stuff.

Regards,
Happyguy :)

MrVvrroomm
12-05-2011, 06:40
I'd go with the 10 rounders and work on my mag swaps. (snickering)

cadillacguns
12-05-2011, 07:09
No particular state this is a "what if"/"what would you do" post.
Bren I'm with you, I guess if I lived in California,or parts of New York, I would carry the Glock-23 or a Glock-27.

unit1069
12-05-2011, 07:39
I bought a used G-23 ten-round magazine for my G-32 at a gun show in the off chance I might face a scenario the OP describes. I've never visited a restricted state since but I am happy to report the stock G-23 magazine is flawless.

I also have a sub-compact 9mm pistol that's carried 80% of the time and it just coincidentally happens to have a capacity of ten rounds.

cowboy1964
12-05-2011, 07:43
I wouldn't worry about only having 10 round mags. Carry a spare though (which you should be doing anyway).

xmanhockey7
12-05-2011, 08:34
I'd just stick with what I have.

RetailNinjitsu
12-05-2011, 08:47
I think magazine restrictions are BS.

However, I can carry anthing I want and I choose to carry a Glock 27 with a stock 9 round mag. I currently carry a Glock 22 mag as a backup, but would not mind carrying a second 9 rounder...

From a political and "land of the free" standpoint the mag restrictions are crap. From a "tactical" standpoint I do not consider it a big deal. The bigger deal would be finding yourself in steel-bracelets because you disregarded state law.

If I was limited to 10 rounds and a second mag was not an option, I would carry a Glock 29 or 30.:wavey:

JMarch
12-05-2011, 13:16
G29 is your answer. 10 +1 rounds of 10mm. :)

ADK_40GLKr
12-05-2011, 15:39
When in Rome....
Somewhere we were discussing this in regard to the possibility of National Right to Carry Reciprocity Act passing, and decided we'd have to obey the laws of the state we were in, not the one where we are licensed (I.e. Although I have a restricted permit in NY, I could carry unrestricted when I visited FL once I had completed the required FL safety course. On the other hand having an unrestricted non-resident FL license would not do me any good in NY where I already have restrictions.)

xmanhockey7
12-05-2011, 16:19
G29 is your answer. 10 +1 rounds of 10mm. :)

^ That's what I'd do.

SCmasterblaster
12-05-2011, 16:22

No 10-round limit in VT or NH, thank God. I carry 17 rounds of WW 115gr JHP +p+ in my 1989 G17.

Angry Fist
12-05-2011, 16:25
Not a whole lotta 10mm guys out there, but I'd have to have a G30 if I were limited to 10 rounds. As posted, if you can't carry more, carry bigger. For hunting, I needed a 10 round mag anyways.

4TS&W
12-05-2011, 16:46
If anyone needs a 10 rounder, I'll trade it for a 13 or 15 rounder (Glock - .40) I somehow still have one from the old days.

collim1
12-05-2011, 16:58
Not really an issue for me, my two carry guns are a P239 and a jframe.

I usually take my jframe when I travel. Its the only gun I carry 100% of the time, including dress clothes. I dont like leaving a larger gun in the car or hotel room, so I just take the jframe when I travel.

kensteele
12-05-2011, 17:06
walther pps doesn't hold more than 10 rds in most any config.

Deaf Smith
12-05-2011, 17:08
cadillac,

When I to interstate I pack either my Glock 33 or 27. Both, even with the Pierce floorplate, hold 10 rounds. So that way I don't worry about what their limit is. That and a wheelgun for a second piece.

But then here in Texas I usually pack a Glock 26 with just 12 round (11 in mag, one in chamber) so the 27/33 is no biggie to me.

Deaf

MtnBiker
12-05-2011, 17:15
I guess it depends on the weather. If it's hot, it's easier for me to carry my 642 (5 rounds).

On a cooler day, I can carry my G30 (10 rounds) or my G19 with a 10 round mag. I can carry them on a hot day too (Aloha shirt carry), but they tend to print if it's windy.

NH Trucker
12-05-2011, 17:27
No 10-round limit in VT or NH, thank God. I carry 17 rounds of WW 115gr JHP +p+ in my 1989 G17.

Amen brother! 13+1 Federal HydraShock 185gr +p. :wavey:

My licence to carry doesn't have reciprocity in any restricted capacity states, so it isn't something I worry about.

kensteele
12-05-2011, 17:30

Amen brother! 13+1 Federal HydraShock 185gr +p. :wavey:

My licence to carry doesn't have reciprocity in any restricted capacity states, so it isn't something I worry about.

Wow, these are new to me. What ammo are these? LOL

Are you talking about Rangers?

Ok, I read it again, I thought 185gr 9mms but I think you are talking about .40. HydraShock ammo is older ammo.

NH Trucker
12-05-2011, 17:35
Your google broken Ken? :dunno:

kensteele
12-05-2011, 17:38
Your google broken Ken? :dunno:

don't need google. yeah, when you quoted the other guys 9s, i thought you were describing your 9s as well, my bad. i edited my previous post.

BuckyP
12-05-2011, 17:40
Well, 95+% of my carry is a G30 (10 rounds) or P2000SK (10 rounds), so I'd be covered. I'd have to make sure my spare mag was the same as I sometimes carry (ironically) a 13 round for either. To be honest, I've been rethinking that, not because of the capacity but the smaller mag carries easier. :dunno: Just swapped the G21 spare for a G30 spare and find it more comfortable and concealable.

NH Trucker
12-05-2011, 17:40
don't need google. yeah, when you quoted the other guys 9s, i thought you were describing your 9s as well, my bad. i edited my previous post.

Sorry, I should have mentioned caliber. .45acp for me. Just going that we don't have any capacity restrictions here.

gunowner1
12-05-2011, 19:17
I would carry my G30 with a 10 round spare mag instead of my normal 13 round spare.

Patchman
12-05-2011, 19:36
I see no problems with 10 + 1 of 9mm with a reload mag. Worst case scenario, back that up with a .38 J-frame or SP101.