TUL Ammo [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : TUL Ammo

Ender587
12-05-2011, 07:52
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/AMM5690-1.html

Anyone know anything about this stuff? Its super cheap, but its Steel cased.

Boot Stomper
12-05-2011, 07:58
They sell it at my local Walmart. Just a bit more than at Dirt Cheap. It is from Russia and the bullets and casings are steel. Brass over the top of the bullet. DO NOT RELOAD. I have shot it with no issues.

If I remember right Glock does not recommend steel bullets out of their guns.

Someone tell me if this is right??????

Boot Stomper
12-05-2011, 08:03
It maybe no-brass lead bullets you cannot run through the glock.

E-2-E
12-05-2011, 08:09
Good cheap ammo for plinking, run it through all of my guns.
I don't think its copper over steel, just lead bi metal jacketed.

ken grant
12-05-2011, 08:12
It maybe no-brass lead bullets you cannot run through the glock. :rofl:

Been running lead bullets(home cast) for many years through my Glocks

IronRonin
12-05-2011, 08:13
Good quality Russian ammo. AKA Herter's if you buy it at Cabelas. Glocks and AKs love it; sissy guns can break their extractor nails on it. hehe

SauerChoi
12-05-2011, 08:21
I have shot 1000s of rounds in 45 and 9mm in TUL. the bullets are jacketed. Only the casing is steel.

hddave
12-05-2011, 09:03
Good cheap ammo, But have found it to be a little dirty for my taste.

t4terrific
12-05-2011, 09:52
It's dirty as Hell, and seems to have more "duds" than other brands. I use it in my Glocks and my old Sig. While it worked flawlessy in my Kimber, I decided to use a cleaner ammo (due to the tighter clearances and number of parts) to help make a thorough cleaning easier.

Cosmo M3
12-05-2011, 10:40
I've seen Glocks jam with russian ammo (Tulammo, Wolf, etc)

robhic
12-05-2011, 10:44
At the range, I have shot 1000's of rounds of TULA and RUAG 9mm which are both Russian-made and worked (for me, at least) flawlessly. No duds, no problems at all, really. It is pretty good and you really can't beat the price. I got mine from Cheaper Than Dirt and it's a good deal.

RexKramer
12-05-2011, 21:30
All my Glocks like TULA. G26, G19, G21, G30. If TULA made 10mm, I would also try it in my G29.

Some people speculate that the steel cases are harder on the extractor, although I have not seen any evidence of this. The concept makes sense to me, I'm just thinking you would have to shoot a LOT of steel cased ammo before you noticed extra wear on parts.

The advisory from Glock concerning bullet type refers to unjacketed lead bullets. TULA projectiles are jacketed.

The cost seems to be the main attraction for TULA. If you decide you don't like the idea, you will be in good company.

I've seen Glocks jam with russian ammo (Tulammo, Wolf, etc)

Me too. I've also seen Glocks jam with expensive ammo, including Speer Gold Dot. I don't think anyone would classify TULA as 'premium self-defense ammo.' It makes good range ammo.

Boot Stomper
12-06-2011, 09:19
Good cheap ammo for plinking, run it through all of my guns.
I don't think its copper over steel, just lead bi metal jacketed.

Put a magnet on the bullet and see if it sticks, you will have your answer.

Dogguy
12-06-2011, 09:44
It's a steel jacketed bullet with a "copper wash" (whatever that means). Magnet sticks to bullet and casing. To me, that's a big "so what?"

I've used Tula .45 in SIG and Ruger autos. Not extensively but I've shot most of one case thus far. I'll buy more. I like it for cheap range ammo. I've never had a failure of any kind with it. I also don't find it to be particularly dirty. "Dirty" is subjective anyway. It's all dirty. If you don't clean your guns after lots of shooting, they'll be really dirty.

The only downside to it is that you can't reload the cases.

Brucev
12-06-2011, 10:05
I've fired it in 9mm, .40 S&W and .45 ACP. I've used the steel cased WOLF 5.56mm in my COLT Hbar. In every usage, function and on target accuracy has been exactly the same as with any other factory ammunition used. I prefer the Russian ammo when shooting at out-door ranges since I don't have to waste time looking for the casings as they are steel and not reloadable. As to firing residue, I clean all my guns after a trip to the range. I do not let a handgun or rifle sit around uncleaned. It is not only a poor maintenance practice, it is not good for the long-term value of the gun. I've not ever had a single malfunction with the Russian ammunition, regardless of the gun in which it was fired. In the course of firing many hundreds of rounds of the stuff, I've not had a single issue with extractors failing, etc. Ejection with the steel cased ammunition has always been very good... usually the casing hit in just about the same area as standard brass cases, depending on the gun which is being fired. Currently I use Russian steel-cased ammunition in a Beretta 92FS, a Rock Island Armory 1911 .45 ACP, a S&W 625-2 .45 ACP and my COLT Hbar. It is good ammunition, and its is more affordable than other factory ammunition.

beforeobamabans
12-11-2011, 15:34
Cheap Russian crapola. Avoid. Besides, why would you want to support those fools?

tcruse
12-11-2011, 15:50
For reloaders, brass cases make ammo cheaper. For those that do not reload then steel case are ok and perform the same in modern guns. I would like to see the Herters/blazer TNJ bullets become the standard. AL cases are cheaper I terms of natural resources and are stronger. Lighter to carry and do not require the coating that steel cases require. The Nylon jacket of the bullet works well, very easy on the barrel, and does not require use of copper. These should allow US ammo to be sold at a price better than imported ammo when the volume gets high enough. If you have not tried them you owe it to yourself to try at least one box before you judge them.

t4terrific
11-27-2013, 10:32
I use a lot of Tul 9mm. It is accurate, cheap, and reliable at the range. With the prices of Federal going through the roof, the choice is easy for me.

intecooler
11-27-2013, 11:50
Get what you can find and shoot it. Doesn't matter if it's from Mars!

collim1
11-27-2013, 13:23
I have shot a fair amount of it. Its dirty, smoky, and smells when you fire it but it puts holes in paper. My guns have all run it fairly reliably, but I do get some occasional stovepipes with it.

I still have some stocked away, but with brass ammo starting to become more available I am shooting brass more often.

FLIPPER 348
11-27-2013, 20:56
[QUOTE=beforeobamabans;18272883]Cheap Russian crapola. Avoid. Besides, why would you want to support those fools?[/QUOTE

It's the most reliable factory ammo I have ever shot by far. How have you found it to be 'crapola'??

ChiefWPD
11-27-2013, 23:09
[QUOTE=beforeobamabans;18272883]Cheap Russian crapola. Avoid. Besides, why would you want to support those fools?[/QUOTE

It's the most reliable factory ammo I have ever shot by far. How have you found it to be 'crapola'??

+1 Can't say it's the "most" reliable, but it certainly works well in my handguns.

panzer1
11-28-2013, 03:20
They sell it at my local Walmart. Just a bit more than at Dirt Cheap. It is from Russia and the bullets and casings are steel. Brass over the top of the bullet. DO NOT RELOAD. I have shot it with no issues.

If I remember right Glock does not recommend steel bullets out of their guns.

Someone tell me if this is right??????Are you sure they are steel bullet's? I think its just steel casings & lead FMJ bullet's.

Mraforever
11-28-2013, 03:46
I never tried to stick a magnet to the bullet but I'm pretty sure they're steel. I was shooting them at an indoor range and they were sparking when they hit the concrete floor and backstop. That range later banned Tula and Wolf ammo . They say its hard on the backstop.

DEADEYEGUY
11-28-2013, 12:04
Tula works. A bit on the soft side in .40. Have a few bad primers here or there. Not my first choice but have shot lots of it through my guns when I couldn't find anything better. It's decent range ammo. And it has not harmed any of my guns.

RMTactical
11-28-2013, 21:10
Cheap ammo, comparable to Wolf.

Jeremy_K
11-28-2013, 21:38
My Stag AR runs the .223 with no problems and it's no more dirty than anything else. My S&W BG380 had problems with it. I had to second strike 1 or 2 out of every mag. The primers are probably hard. That gun has never been fussy with any other ammo.

steven07
03-23-2014, 10:13
I am seeing it at walmart for $6 a box. I just bought a S&W sporter a few weeks ago and am tempted to try it out. the only other ammo I can find @ a relatively cheap price is pmc 55g @ $9 a box. Is tula an adequate range round or am I just looking at a good way to ruin my barrel? If it is dirty that would not bother me to much because I tend to clean this rifle after every two trips or so, just concerned about shooting steel casings.

McDougall
03-24-2014, 20:13
I am seeing it at walmart for $6 a box. I just bought a S&W sporter a few weeks ago and am tempted to try it out. the only other ammo I can find @ a relatively cheap price is pmc 55g @ $9 a box. Is tula an adequate range round or am I just looking at a good way to ruin my barrel? If it is dirty that would not bother me to much because I tend to clean this rifle after every two trips or so, just concerned about shooting steel casings.

After reading literally dozens of threads, articles, experiences on this here is my opinion.

80% of users shoot it and have no issues. They find it is what it is. Cheap range ammo that does the job.

10% of shooters will not buy it simply because it is steel cased. They have no logical reason for this or experience. They just don't want to shoot anything but brass. These are the people I find most annoying. They also tend to talk down those of us who shoot it and haven't had issues.

10% of users will not buy it anymore because it is "dirty", or they can't reload it, or they have experienced failures. Well, at least they SAY they've experienced failures.

I fit into the 80%. I buy this ammo and shoot it in great quantities. Whenever I see a walmart shelf full of 9mm I normally buy it all. All they have, and shoot it. I have found it functions well and makes my steel targets ring. Therefore I like it.

cowboy1964
03-24-2014, 20:50
It generally works other than sometimes requiring two primer strikes.

mj9mm
03-24-2014, 20:58
I have had better luck with Tulammo than WWB:cool:

cadillacguns
03-25-2014, 10:15
I use it when I can get it, never had any problem(s) with it.

steven07
03-26-2014, 16:17
I use it when I can get it, never had any problem(s) with it.

Grabbed the last box @ walmart today & fed 20rds of it along with another 100 or so federal. Not a single hickup. From here on out ill def be picking it up now that I'm sure it feeds. @$5.49/20rds it's pretty hard to pass up.