60 and 100 Rd AR Magazines [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 60 and 100 Rd AR Magazines

Conan1
12-05-2011, 17:30
Anyone noticed these being on the market lately?

http://www.surefire.com/MAG5-60

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-bCLNum-pug?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

What do you think the outcry is going to be on these from the anti's?

:wow::wow::wow::whistling:

Reswob
12-05-2011, 18:15
From the reviews I've read on these mags, reliability is unacceptable.

mvician
12-05-2011, 18:17
you've been under a rock, they've been out for a while :supergrin:

Disregarded9-side
12-05-2011, 18:29
Wow, SF spends so much on marketing.

I first heard about their 60-rounder this summer I believe, think it had just entered the market. I know the SureFire 3-Gun/shooting sports team was using them without failure for around a year as part of R&D...they seem much more GTG in comparison to other high-cap options, which never seemed to be 100%.

As a civilian I have no interest in high-cap mags, but I can certainly see the benefit to our boys in the sandbox--especially if they were to carry the M4s with a standard mag and have these strapped to them for reloading purposes (seems heavy/awkward to lug around all day). I'm not an Anti, but I fail to see the need to do $50 mag dumps of XM193 for fun...it's just hard for me to see these and not think North Hollywood Shootout. At the same time, I don't judge people for enjoying firearms in whatever safe manner they choose to do so--we all have our personal preferences.

BuckyP
12-05-2011, 18:42

I've yet to read any reviews, though to be honest I haven't been looking. When I first heard of them, I thought they might be a nice option for three gun.

michael e
12-05-2011, 18:46
Reviews I have read seemed good, I am way to cheap to pay what they want. I can get several 30s for the price of one 60. I don't own FA and don't even shoot my AR a full 30 mag at once.

Conan1
12-05-2011, 18:52
you've been under a rock, they've been out for a while :supergrin:

Durn, Shows I just don't get out much.......Hmmmmm:faint::embarassed::whistling:

Jayock
12-06-2011, 11:24
I've seen them, but always thought they were way too pricey. $130 for a single 60-round... I can get 8, 30-round P-Mags for that price...

bmoore
12-06-2011, 11:26
These will be the new must have items for any AR owner. An optic, a light, some sort of AVFG or VFG and a 100 round mag. If not your an untrained idiot.

MrMurphy
12-06-2011, 11:34
I disagree.

They have shown to be considerably more reliable than a Beta mag (which have gotten people killed), but they are another tool in the toolbox.

I wouldn't want an entire load of these simply because one mag goes down, you lose twice your ammo. But in certain roles (automatic rifleman, trunk monkey, immediate-action response, etc) they could be highly useful. Aerial helo door gunner with a rifle perhaps.

Nine Shooter
12-06-2011, 11:51
Hangs down wayyy too far below the weapon. No thanks, I'll stick to 30's.

lloydchristmas
12-06-2011, 12:26
Not reliable enough, according to the reviews.

Disregarded9-side
12-06-2011, 12:35
The design is interesting; from what I remember it's like a triple or quadruple-stack, correct?

american lockpicker
12-06-2011, 12:43
i'm hoping to get one of those(60) and a Beta C drum next year.

Hedo1
12-06-2011, 13:25
I'm waiting until Magpul comes out with an improved cheaper polymer version.

Facejackets
12-06-2011, 13:39
My store has a stack of them. They aren't flying off the shelves, but they do sell. So far I haven't had any come back either

B.Reid
12-06-2011, 21:06
I bought one of the 60 rounders a few months back. It has run 100% so far, I have only used it twice so take that for what it's worth. I got it for 3 gun, it will be a must have for anyone shooting 3 gun.

WoodenPlank
12-06-2011, 21:18
I'm waiting until Magpul comes out with an improved cheaper polymer version.

They are working on it, last I heard. They did file some patents a while back.

I bought one of the 60 rounders a few months back. It has run 100% so far, I have only used it twice so take that for what it's worth. I got it for 3 gun, it will be a must have for anyone shooting 3 gun.

I hear internet rumors that the mags suck, but everyone "in the know" I have talked to that has used them has had good things to say.

I'm pretty sure Surefire designed these mainly for the IAR contract, as the USMC is looking for high-capacity, non-drum magazines to feed it. Same goes for Magpul, but they will have to use a design closer to the EMAG to make it work in the IAR.

B.Reid
12-06-2011, 21:22
They are working on it, last I heard. They did file some patents a while back.

I hear internet rumors that the mags suck, but everyone "in the know" I have talked to that has used them has had good things to say.

I'm pretty sure Surefire designed these mainly for the IAR contract, as the USMC is looking for high-capacity, non-drum magazines to feed it. Same goes for Magpul, but they will have to use a design closer to the EMAG to make it work in the IAR.

I need to test it more. One thing I found is it will not work with Wolf ammo. It just kinda jammed up the follower. But with brass cases it has worked great.

WoodenPlank
12-06-2011, 21:33
I need to test it more. One thing I found is it will not work with Wolf ammo. It just kinda jammed up the follower. But with brass cases it has worked great.

I wonder if it has to do with the coatings on the wolf ammo causing more friction between the cases as they transition to the quad stack section, or if they cause more friction against the follower.

B.Reid
12-06-2011, 22:10
I wonder if it has to do with the coatings on the wolf ammo causing more friction between the cases as they transition to the quad stack section, or if they cause more friction against the follower.

Not sure but it has something to do with the polymer.

surf
12-06-2011, 22:40
I finally acquired my first 60 rounder for Test and Evaluation late today. I will try to get to using it very soon. I very much believe that they could fit a specific role and could be very viable under certain specific situations, if they are indeed proven to be reliable. I have actually heard both great and not so great reviews on the Mag from sources that I would consider to be reliable, but I have no personal opinion as of yet. When I do test and evaluations, they are generally lengthy over a long periods of time or involving large round counts so time will tell. I am sure that I can put several hundred rounds via the mag in probably a day so I will try to post my results as soon as I get this done. I will include F/A rates of fire also.

My shameless plug is to subscribe to my channel or friend us on Facebook to stay updated on new video's. On the plus side I do not have any "partnerships" or make any profits from my video's. :)

AK_Stick
12-06-2011, 23:40
My (1) 60 round mag works flawlessly with good ammo.

Currently my 60 rounder has about 250-300 rounds through it. Not a failure yet. But its also a test subject of only 1 mag.

That said, 1 60 round mag weighs less than 2 30's and a BFG redi-mod so my go to rifle actually dropped a little weight by going to a 60. Wouldn't carry more than 1 or maybe 2, but they do have a purpose, if not for everyone.

vafish
12-07-2011, 05:54
Durn, Shows I just don't get out much.......Hmmmmm:faint::embarassed::whistling:

Or maybe you do get out enough, you just don't waste enough time in the internet.

Unistat
12-07-2011, 08:37

I probably read the same reviews.

Magpul had a teaser of their super-capacity mag a while ago, but I haven't heard or seen a thing since SF released theirs. I think it's probable the Magpul ran into similar problems as SF and since their hallmark is reliability, they won't release till they are absolutely ready.

Personally, I agree with releasing a mature design vs. being the first to the shelves. Magpul has too much to lose by releasing a crappy product that's in their wheelhouse, whereas SF has the excuse of never making this type of accessory before.

ColdBlooded
12-07-2011, 08:44
Sturmgewehre posted this a while ago, but I will post it for those that missed it:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2Y0w3M_F158" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

WoodenPlank
12-07-2011, 12:07
I probably read the same reviews.

Magpul had a teaser of their super-capacity mag a while ago, but I haven't heard or seen a thing since SF released theirs. I think it's probable the Magpul ran into similar problems as SF and since their hallmark is reliability, they won't release till they are absolutely ready.

Personally, I agree with releasing a mature design vs. being the first to the shelves. Magpul has too much to lose by releasing a crappy product that's in their wheelhouse, whereas SF has the excuse of never making this type of accessory before.

Magpul hasn't even released the 40 round, double stack only PMAG that was in their catalog some time ago. I think they initially announced it about 2 years ago.

Nine Shooter
12-07-2011, 12:17
If Magpul would make a reliable 100 round Beta C type mag I'd buy it.

AK_Stick
12-07-2011, 20:23
I think reliable and beta C mag can never be used in the same sentence.