chosing a new AR15 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : chosing a new AR15

Green Dragoon
12-05-2011, 18:21
Several of you were very helpful in my thread yesterday, concerning if I needed a left-handed action.

So, I've decided I don't.

Next step- my local dealer has a Colt H-Bar 16" barrel. Target shooting is going to be my main thing. Should I go down for it or should I go with the S&W and save some serious coin.....and upgrade things later.

Is the inate quality of the Colt that much better?

Thanks once again for all your guidance.

WoodenPlank
12-05-2011, 18:26
Several of you were very helpful in my thread yesterday, concerning if I needed a left-handed action.

So, I've decided I don't.

Next step- my local dealer has a Colt H-Bar 16" barrel. Target shooting is going to be my main thing. Should I go down for it or should I go with the S&W and save some serious coin.....and upgrade things later.

Is the inate quality of the Colt that much better?

Thanks once again for all your guidance.

Plenty of companies make ARs of equal quality to a Colt, and sometimes even better. Some of those companies make 'em cheaper than Colt does - sometimes significantly so.

As for target shooting, are you looking for just plinking/range fun? Long distance target shooting? NRA high power type shooting? The more we know about what you want out of the rifle (ie: 1MOA groups at 300 yards vs minute of can at 50), the more people here will be able to give you suggestions on what to look for.

TedG
12-05-2011, 18:28
Here's a great buy.... 16" matched Noveske

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=263715511

Green Dragoon
12-05-2011, 18:35
Plenty of companies make ARs of equal quality to a Colt, and sometimes even better. Some of those companies make 'em cheaper than Colt does - sometimes significantly so.

As for target shooting, are you looking for just plinking/range fun? Long distance target shooting? NRA high power type shooting? The more we know about what you want out of the rifle (ie: 1MOA groups at 300 yards vs minute of can at 50), the more people here will be able to give you suggestions on what to look for.

Hello WP..thanks for the response. At this point, it would be for casual, long-range shooting.....200 meters and out. I do like the notion though of having a rifle in my collection for defensive purposes. This would be my only rifle BTW....I'm mostly a pistol shooter.

Green Dragoon
12-05-2011, 18:37
Here's a great buy.... 16" matched Noveske

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=263715511

Thanks Ted. I'm afraid I'm not familiar with Noveske. That is the same price as the Colt.....FWIW.

WoodenPlank
12-05-2011, 19:06
Thanks Ted. I'm afraid I'm not familiar with Noveske. That is the same price as the Colt.....FWIW.

That link appears to be a complete Noveske rifle for about $500 off MSRP. It's still a chrome-lined bore, though.

Hello WP..thanks for the response. At this point, it would be for casual, long-range shooting.....200 meters and out. I do like the notion though of having a rifle in my collection for defensive purposes. This would be my only rifle BTW....I'm mostly a pistol shooter.

A typical M16 profile AR with a decent quality barrel should be shooting 1-2 MOA at 200 meters, assuming you are able to do so, and you use decent ammo. The farther you want to reach, the more you'll need to spend on a quality barrel and quality ammo. I would start by looking at both Palmetto State Armory and Bravo Company, and buy a 18-20" upper that comes with a free-float rail of your choice already installed. Add an optic of your choice, get a complete lower or kit (and build your own), invest in some decent ammo (or dies and components if you are already set up for reloading), and get shooting.

Patrick R
12-05-2011, 19:10
For use at 200 meters + :

Rock River National Match 20" barrel with flat top upper for a scope.

TunaFisherman
12-05-2011, 19:56
If its coin ya wana save and its just for plinking... the S&W Sport in my opinion is great for the price. It has some dif things like no fwd assist and no dust cover, fixed trigger guard,,, minor things in my world

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2011/06/benjamin-t-shotzberger/%EF%BB%BF-gun-review-smith-and-wesson-mp15-sport/

Some guys are buying the Palmetto State Ars in the $600 range.

I recently bought a BCM for less then $900, to good of deal to pass on.

Green Dragoon
12-05-2011, 22:06
That link appears to be a complete Noveske rifle for about $500 off MSRP. It's still a chrome-lined bore, though.

A typical M16 profile AR with a decent quality barrel should be shooting 1-2 MOA at 200 meters, assuming you are able to do so, and you use decent ammo. The farther you want to reach, the more you'll need to spend on a quality barrel and quality ammo. I would start by looking at both Palmetto State Armory and Bravo Company, and buy a 18-20" upper that comes with a free-float rail of your choice already installed. Add an optic of your choice, get a complete lower or kit (and build your own), invest in some decent ammo (or dies and components if you are already set up for reloading), and get shooting.

great insight....thanks for the advise

Green Dragoon
12-05-2011, 22:07
If its coin ya wana save and its just for plinking... the S&W Sport in my opinion is great for the price. It has some dif things like no fwd assist and no dust cover, fixed trigger guard,,, minor things in my world

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2011/06/benjamin-t-shotzberger/%EF%BB%BF-gun-review-smith-and-wesson-mp15-sport/

Some guys are buying the Palmetto State Ars in the $600 range.

I recently bought a BCM for less then $900, to good of deal to pass on.

thanks TF. Yes...I've been following some of the PSA threads. They seem like a great bang for the buck.

Green Dragoon
12-05-2011, 22:09
thanks all. You are all gentlemen taking the time to give your input and share your knowledge. In a few days, I should be able to post with my end-result.

Thanks again.
GD

NMGlock79
12-06-2011, 03:26
For target stuff, I love my BCM A4, super accurate. For work, I stick with a M4 middy.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-M16-A4-AR15-Bravo-Company-carbine-rifle-s/146.htm

boomhower
12-06-2011, 03:57
For target shooting I'd look into a varmit style gun. Going to be better for your needs than a 16" tactical style gun. PSA has some nice prices on 20" SS uppers. Lowers are cheap and can be had numerous places including PSA.

DieselNut
12-06-2011, 09:38
Don't forget spike's either. Aim Surplus usually carries some sweet deals so you might wanna check them out.