xl650 help [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : xl650 help

rpgman
12-05-2011, 17:57
On the last round I was going to do on 9mm n then change to .40 I have a primer stuck almost sideways jammed into one of the holes in the primer ring.

I have the primer system out but how do I go about getting the jammed primer out?

IndyGunFreak
12-05-2011, 18:41
Oh wait, nevermind.. :)

rpgman
12-05-2011, 18:44
I did call Dillon, and I said I would get the primer system out.
Well, I did that, now I guess I need to call them to get a new one.

Greg

GioaJack
12-05-2011, 18:46
Hit it with a big hammer... or buy a LNL. :whistling:

Jack

rpgman
12-05-2011, 18:52
Hit it with a big hammer... or buy a LNL. :whistling:

Jack

no way, im not banging anything with a big hammer.

Boxerglocker
12-05-2011, 19:50
You should be able to remove the primer system completely off the press, remove the primer magazine tube and take off the screw that holds the primer wheel shim. That should break everything loose.

EL_NinO619
12-05-2011, 20:06
What!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Better Call Dillion

http://image.shutterstock.com/display_pic_with_logo/673633/673633,1288979899,22/stock-vector-sexy-vintage-or-retro-looking-cartoon-girl-holding-a-telephone-with-a-surprised-look-on-her-face-64456249.jpg

unclebob
12-05-2011, 20:07
You should be able to push it out. Unless I miss understand what you are saying. Lot of times I use the stick part of a Q-tip the ones that have a wooden handle or stick.how ever you want to call them.

rpgman
12-05-2011, 20:18
You should be able to push it out. Unless I miss understand what you are saying. Lot of times I use the stick part of a Q-tip the ones that have a wooden handle or stick.how ever you want to call them.

thanks Bob that worked.

I used the wood end of one of those Q-tips.
Greg

Colorado4Wheel
12-05-2011, 20:32
Make sure the brass tip on the primer tube and the disc are free of burrs and nicks. You should have spares in your spare parts kit. I wonder why it went in sideways?

unclebob
12-06-2011, 08:03
Make sure the magazine shield cap is down tight. The two primer system mounting bolts are tight. If you have any bounce in your reloading bench that could cause that also.

rpgman
12-06-2011, 08:13
Make sure the magazine shield cap is down tight. The two primer system mounting bolts are tight. If you have any bounce in your reloading bench that could cause that also.

gotcha, thanks.
I'm changing calibers tonight and I'll make sure those bolts are tight.

unclebob
12-06-2011, 08:20
Also make sure the screw that holds the primer support shim is on tight. Since it is a new press. The person putting the primer magazine assembly together might not have tightened it down all the way. And you do have the small primer disk installed.

rpgman
12-06-2011, 08:24
Also make sure the screw that holds the primer support shim is on tight. Since it is a new press. The person putting the primer magazine assembly together might not have tightened it down all the way. And you do have the small primer disk installed.

I do, but I'm going to check anyway when I change calibers.

snowwdog
12-06-2011, 19:20
i had that same problem and it turned out to be to much bounce. My reloading table doesnt give any now and the whole press runs smoother.

rpgman
12-07-2011, 03:38
i had that same problem and it turned out to be to much bounce. My reloading table doesnt give any now and the whole press runs smoother.

It's not the bench or Press moving. Mine is stable.

Now I have an issue with the priming system. It will rotate all day long if there are no primers in the primer disc. As soon as the first primer gets to the primer pusher, it won't rotate on the down stroke. It will stop the down stroke half way through. If I lower the press n then nudge the Primer Indexing Arm and then pull the handle, it will rotate the priming disc. I think the jam I had screwed the priming system up.

Im going to have to call Dillon today to get a new priming system.

I've also noticed, when I switched from 9mm to .40, while testing the priming, that when it primes, the primer punch isn't seating the primer fully. Is it also necessary to adjust the primer punch when switching calibers, even if your using the same primer Disc. (Small pistol)?
Greg

unclebob
12-07-2011, 07:08
I've also noticed, when I switched from 9mm to .40, while testing the priming, that when it primes, the primer punch isn't seating the primer fully. Is it also necessary to adjust the primer punch when switching calibers, even if your using the same primer Disc. (Small pistol)?
Greg

Small punch, small disk for both 9 and 40. Make sure the punch is screwed in all the way. I would say your shell plate is too loose. There is no adjustment on seating depth for you to make. If you take off the primer magazine off? When you put it back on. Start the two bolts in then push the handle forward. The primer punch will protrude through the primer disk. With the handle still forward tighten the two bolts.
Your other problem call Dillon.

rpgman
12-07-2011, 07:26
Small punch, small disk for both 9 and 40. Make sure the punch is screwed in all the way. I would say your shell plate is too loose. There is no adjustment on seating depth for you to make. If you take off the primer magazine off? When you put it back on. Start the two bolts in then push the handle forward. The primer punch will protrude through the primer disk. With the handle still forward tighten the two bolts.
Your other problem call Dillon.

Thanks, I did call Dillon just now and they think it might be several things to check first.

1st, make sure the shell plate isn't loose. If the shell plate is loose it might cause the primer indexing not to index and not seat the primer fully.

2nd, make sure the adjustment to the primer station locator tab is adjusted for the .40 caliber (it came with 9mm on it and I was loading 9mm when the jam happened)....it should be a business card width away.

3rd, make sure the camming pin was adjusted for .40 caliber.

If that doesn't work, call Dillon back.

Colorado4Wheel
12-07-2011, 08:16
3rd, make sure the camming pin was adjusted for .40 caliber.

What is that?

rpgman
12-07-2011, 08:43
What is that?

it's the adjustment for pushing the case into station 1 when it comes out of the case feeder.

page 38 and 39 of the xl650 Manual.

Murphy's Law
12-07-2011, 09:05
It would be a whole lot easier just to "trade" me for my 550B, I'm willing to take a loss. :supergrin:

rpgman
12-07-2011, 09:10
It would be a whole lot easier just to "trade" me for my 550B, I'm willing to take a loss. :supergrin:

no way.

I'll get it working. It worked FINE for 9mm until I was on my last round and it jammed the primer on the index wheel.

I think it's one of the 3 adjustments Dillon mentioned.

The shell plate is definitely too loose, because it didn't seat the primer correct when I tested it with .40 case. That's one issue and I bet the other 2 also have to be adjusted.

Colorado4Wheel
12-07-2011, 09:21
it's the adjustment for pushing the case into station 1 when it comes out of the case feeder.

page 38 and 39 of the xl650 Manual.

I didn't know they called that the camming pin. Weird name.

rpgman
12-07-2011, 09:57
I didn't know they called that the camming pin. Weird name.

yea, I thought the same thing.

But, hopefully it's the 'loose' shell plate, because those other adjustment would be for when a case is present. I can't get the primer to index once it's on the priming punch.

So, if I make sure it's not loose, I should be able to index and let the primers just fall into the primer catch.

unclebob
12-07-2011, 10:01
yea, I thought the same thing.

But, hopefully it's the 'loose' shell plate, because those other adjustment would be for when a case is present. I can't get the primer to index once it's on the priming punch.

So, if I make sure it's not loose, I should be able to index and let the primers just fall into the primer catch.

Are you pull the handle a little ways before trying to rotate the primer disk? If not it will not rotate.

rpgman
12-07-2011, 10:06
Are you pull the handle a little ways before trying to rotate the primer disk? If not it will not rotate.

no, once a primer hits the primer punch, it will go up, and index the primer disc, then drop the primer in the primer catch, then on the next pull down, it gets stuck half way up.

If I then pull the handle up and manually move the indexing arm then pull the handle down, it will work.

unclebob
12-07-2011, 10:20
no, once a primer hits the primer punch, it will go up, and index the primer disc, then drop the primer in the primer catch, then on the next pull down, it gets stuck half way up.

If I then pull the handle up and manually move the indexing arm then pull the handle down, it will work.

Is what you are saying that you can manually advance the primers but the press will not on it own?

rpgman
12-07-2011, 10:26
Is what you are saying that you can manually advance the primers but the press will not on it own?

well, after the first one the press won't.

so, I lower the shell plate, then just nudge the indexing arm, it doesn't index the index disc when I do that, sorta loosen's it, then pull the handle down, and it will index the primer disc just like the first one and send the next primer to the primer catch and index it to the next primer.

which reminds me....

say the primers are all out. Say I just empty them because I didn't want to leave them within the primer mag.

when I fill it up with primers again, do I manually index the primer, or just let it index by pulling the handle down?

Colorado4Wheel
12-07-2011, 10:29
Is the indexing arm (silver thing) not fully returning so that it can catch the primer disc. So you move the indexing arm a little manually, to catch the next hole and then the press works right?

If so, Lube that pin it rides on inside the primer setup. Just a very small amount.

rpgman
12-07-2011, 10:31
Is the indexing arm (silver thing) not fully returning so that it can catch the primer disc. So you move the indexing arm a little manually, to catch the next hole and then the press works right?

If so, Lube that pin it rides on inside the primer setup. Just a very small amount.

you mean that pin that holds the primer index on, where the Primer Support Shim keeps the primer disc on?

rpgman
12-07-2011, 10:33
actually, I just nudge the indexing arm, not sure if it does anything, but when I pull the handle down again it indexes and moves, then it will get stuck again.

unclebob
12-07-2011, 11:04
when I fill it up with primers again, do I manually index the primer, or just let it index by pulling the handle down?

Pull the handle back towards you then reach in a pull the primer indexer arm 6 times. Then start loading. When the case gets to station 2 there is a primer there waiting to be seated.

actually, I just nudge the indexing arm, not sure if it does anything, but when I pull the handle down again it indexes and moves, then it will get stuck again.
Did you get the spare parts kit? If you did change out and lube the primer indexing arm. I think you might have bent it. If you have not gotten the spare parts kit order one. 95% of the stuff in there you probably will never use. But if you do its nice to have on hand without having to wait on the mailman.

rpgman
12-07-2011, 11:14
Pull the handle back towards you then reach in a pull the primer indexer arm 6 times. Then start loading. When the case gets to station 2 there is a primer there waiting to be seated.

Did you get the spare parts kit? If you did change out and lube the primer indexing arm. I think you might have bent it. If you have not gotten the spare parts kit order one. 95% of the stuff in there you probably will never use. But if you do its nice to have on hand without having to wait on the mailman.

yes, I have the spare parts kit.
what lube should I use for that and where would I lube it?

unclebob
12-07-2011, 12:36

What I PM you before.

rpgman
12-07-2011, 12:38
What I PM you before.

ok, where do you usually get it at? Lowes?

The Militec I'm asking about.
I'm not even sure where to get the GM Special Lubricant 1#12345879 grease or the GM E.O.S. Assembly Lubricant 1#88862586?

unclebob
12-07-2011, 15:03
ok, where do you usually get it at? Lowes?

The Militec I'm asking about.
I'm not even sure where to get the GM Special Lubricant 1#12345879 grease or the GM E.O.S. Assembly Lubricant 1#88862586?

Miltitec is mail order. Like I said I use it just because I got a free sample from them.

The GM stuff is from General Motors parts department. The Valvoline any of your auto parts stores should have it.

GioaJack
12-07-2011, 15:37
I thought 650's never had a problem... I remember reading that somewhere on the interwebs. :whistling:

Jack

Colorado4Wheel
12-07-2011, 15:58

Like I said. Get a drop of oil. Put it on the pin that the thing pivots on. Problem solved. It's won't take much. It's not complicated. I would guess it's the one and only time you will ever have to lube that thing.

WiskyT
12-07-2011, 19:17
I thought 650's never had a problem... I remember reading that somewhere on the interwebs. :whistling:

Jack

Certainly not with the primer system...

unclebob
12-07-2011, 19:36
Like I said. Get a drop of oil. Put it on the pin that the thing pivots on. Problem solved. It's won't take much. It's not complicated. I would guess it's the one and only time you will ever have to lube that thing.

I prefer grease, oil migrates. But each their own.

unclebob
12-07-2011, 19:40
Certainly not with the primer system...

But I would say that 99% of the time itís the loose nut pulling the handle and not the press.

Colorado4Wheel
12-07-2011, 20:16
Grease is probably better. A small drop of oil will be ok as well.

rpgman
12-08-2011, 04:07
But I would say that 99% of the time itís the loose nut pulling the handle and not the press.

I would hope that I wasn't being included in that 99%.

rpgman
12-08-2011, 04:10
btw changed the indexing arm, greased the pin it's held on, called Dillon 2 times and the answer they gave me was, if a case isn't at station 2, just pull the primer from now on, and don't let it get jammed.

well, that's not good enough.

so, this morning, their either going to send me a new primer system, and hopefully that fixes it, or their getting the press back and they can figure out the issue on their dime.

Colorado4Wheel
12-08-2011, 07:06
I still don't understand what the press is doing. The way you are describing things doesn't make sence to me. Maybe pull out the manual and use the names and numbers in the schematic to describe item by item what happens.

It shounds to me like if you don't have a case in station #2 that the primer flips when it comes back down and then jams. But it also sounds like the indexer for the primer disc is not fully indexing the disc. Just to be sure, You have to pull the handle fully each time. Make sure you have the right primer discs. Primers sit tightly in the cup not loose. Make sure the discs don't have any burrs in them. How thick is your bench? Is it attached to the wall? I do not have a manual with me as I am out of town till Sunday. But others do and I am sure they would help you if you posted that info.

rpgman
12-08-2011, 07:58
I still don't understand what the press is doing. The way you are describing things doesn't make sence to me. Maybe pull out the manual and use the names and numbers in the schematic to describe item by item what happens.

It shounds to me like if you don't have a case in station #2 that the primer flips when it comes back down and then jams. But it also sounds like the indexer for the primer disc is not fully indexing the disc. Just to be sure, You have to pull the handle fully each time. Make sure you have the right primer discs. Primers sit tightly in the cup not loose. Make sure the discs don't have any burrs in them. How thick is your bench? Is it attached to the wall? I do not have a manual with me as I am out of town till Sunday. But others do and I am sure they would help you if you posted that info.

Talked to Dillon today and their sending a new primer system out to me and I'm returning the one I have.

Hopefully that fixes the issue.

Your exactly correct, it will index all day long, if their are no primers in the priming disc. as soon as the first primer shows up, in station 2, and if there is no case in station 2, it will index, and either jam up the disk, or not index at all and yes I'm fully cycling the handle, except for when it gets jammed and the handle will only go half way down.

Like I stated above, I've loaded 269 rounds Sunday with no issues after I put the press together. I could have loaded more, but I was on my last case, and I have plenty of 9mm and I wanted to switched to .40. As, soon as that last case showed up, the primer disk jammed and it's been all down hill from then.

Eric from Dillon was very helpful. He stated that CCI Primers, the ones I have about 4000 left, are somewhat of an issue, because they are more oblong shaped. So, what I'm going to do is go and get some Winchester or Federal primers, and use the CCI for my wife's 38 specials that I will be doing for her on a separate press, the Lyman Turret II press.
Greg

F106 Fan
12-08-2011, 08:08
I have been using Federal primers exclusively since I began reloading in the early '80s. Not only do they install easily, they ignite on even light firing pin strikes where others might fail.

I have been happy with the decision to use Federal.

Of course, I could also make the argument that, having never used anything else, what could I possibly know about primers? Good argument!

Richard

unclebob
12-08-2011, 08:35
If Iím reading what you are say is right. If you did not seat a primer in station two and if you rotated the disk about 6 more times it jams? If that is the case? yes if the primer did not drop down the ski ramp, yes the press will jam because the primer goes around and jam up against the primer support shim. Most of the time the little tit on the primer indexing arm will kick it out but a lot of times it does not. So if you get a primer that did not seat. Or you get a primer in station two without a case. You need to either have cases that have been sized and not primed, and just slide it in at station 2. I also have cases that are sized and primed by the press. But if you donít just push the handle forward and reach in a grab the primer or just make sure the primer drops down the ski ramp or the primer chute within the next 3 pulls of the handle.

rpgman
12-08-2011, 08:40
If Iím reading what you are say is right. If you did not seat a primer in station two and if you rotated the disk about 6 more times it jams? If that is the case? yes if the primer did not drop down the ski ramp, yes the press will jam because the primer goes around and jam up against the primer support shim. Most of the time the little tit on the primer indexing arm will kick it out but a lot of times it does not. So if you get a primer that did not seat. Or you get a primer in station two without a case. You need to either have cases that have been sized and not primed, and just slide it in at station 2. I also have cases that are sized and primed by the press. But if you donít just push the handle forward and reach in a grab the primer or just make sure the primer drops down the ski ramp or the primer chute within the next 3 pulls of the handle.

that's exactly what is happening.

But, when I first got the system together, I tested the priming system with full primers, and everyone fell on the ski ramp. I tested that 2 or 3 times with loads of CCI primers.

I'm thinking it's a combination of the CCI primers and the jam either messed up the small pistol disc or the priming system.

Hopefully, the new priming system on it's way, and Federal primers, will fix the issue. Hopefully, fingers crossed.
Greg

unclebob
12-08-2011, 08:57
that's exactly what is happening.

But, when I first got the system together, I tested the priming system with full primers, and everyone fell on the ski ramp. I tested that 2 or 3 times with loads of CCI primers.

I'm thinking it's a combination of the CCI primers and the jam either messed up the small pistol disc or the priming system.

Hopefully, the new priming system on it's way, and Federal primers, will fix the issue. Hopefully, fingers crossed.
Greg

Nope, I use Federal primers. If a primer does not seat or goes past the primer punch it may or may not drop down the ski ramp on its own or with the help of the primer indexing arm.

rpgman
12-08-2011, 08:58
I have been using Federal primers exclusively since I began reloading in the early '80s. Not only do they install easily, they ignite on even light firing pin strikes where others might fail.

I have been happy with the decision to use Federal.

Of course, I could also make the argument that, having never used anything else, what could I possibly know about primers? Good argument!

Richard

so, which one of the Federal are you using? Match or the regular ones?

rpgman
12-08-2011, 09:00
Nope, I use Federal primers. If a primer does not seat or goes past the primer punch it may or may not drop down the ski ramp on its own or with the help of the primer indexing arm.

so, does it jam up your index pistol disc if you don't catch it?

and, like I stated I tested it like 2 or 3 times with over 50 primers each time and they all dropped in the unused primer bin.

That was the first thing I tested.

unclebob
12-08-2011, 09:17
I use regular Federal primers. It is not going to make any difference in what primer you use. If for some reason primer does not seat or whatever and it does not drop down the ski ramp. In about 6 more pulls of the handle the primer is going to jam up against the primer support shim. The primer has no place to go after that. There are a lot of different reasons why the primer may not drop. Itís just something you need to be aware of. There have been a couple of times that I did not catch it and hand to pull the press apart to clear the jam.

F106 Fan
12-08-2011, 09:21
so, which one of the Federal are you using? Match or the regular ones?

I use match primers for precision rifle and regular for bulk rifle and all pistol. I don't know that it makes any difference. I haven't spent the time to compare the same precision rifle load with regular versus match primers.

Richard

rpgman
12-08-2011, 09:28
I use regular Federal primers. It is not going to make any difference in what primer you use. If for some reason primer does not seat or whatever and it does not drop down the ski ramp. In about 6 more pulls of the handle the primer is going to jam up against the primer support shim. The primer has no place to go after that. There are a lot of different reasons why the primer may not drop. Itís just something you need to be aware of. There have been a couple of times that I did not catch it and hand to pull the press apart to clear the jam.

I see...

that's a pretty stupid design if you ask me.

unclebob
12-08-2011, 09:50
I see...

It is a lot better than a lot of designs out there. Once you get a couple of hundred rounds loaded under your belt. You will fill the primer being seated. If it doesnít you will know to pull the round out of station three and check for the primer. And if there is no primer to check the primer disk the second pull of the handle to make sure it dropped. If it didnít get the Q-tip with the wood handle and get the primer out. Really the design is a very good one. The reloader needs to pay attention of what is going on. Reloading on the 650 is more of a felling and hearing of what is going on, more than looking in what is going on. That is why you donít want a TV, radio, or talking to someone while reloading.

Colorado4Wheel
12-08-2011, 09:54
I use only new CCI. None of them have every failed to go down the ski ramp. None of them have ever fallen off the primer punch when I push to prime on a empty station. I never even knew this could happen. Interesting. I am confident that the design of every presses primer setup is it's weak spot. You have to know the machine. Know how it works and what happens when it doesn't work. Ask Zombie, he launched LnL primer parts into Jack's ceiling once. My 650 has been flawless with priming and priming managment (managment is your issue).

rpgman
12-08-2011, 09:59
GottaIt is a lot better than a lot of designs out there. Once you get a couple of hundred rounds loaded under your belt. You will fill the primer being seated. If it doesnít you will know to pull the round out of station three and check for the primer. And if there is no primer to check the primer disk the second pull of the handle to make sure it dropped. If it didnít get the Q-tip with the wood handle and get the primer out. Really the design is a very good one. The reloader needs to pay attention of what is going on. Reloading on the 650 is more of a felling and hearing of what is going on, more than looking in what is going on. That is why you donít want a TV, radio, or talking to someone while reloading.

Gotcha
Thanks

Colorado4Wheel
12-08-2011, 10:00
How thick is your bench? Is it attached to a wall?

rpgman
12-08-2011, 10:12
I use only new CCI. None of them have every failed to go down the ski ramp. None of them have ever fallen off the primer punch when I push to prime on a empty station. I never even knew this could happen. Interesting. I am confident that the design of every presses primer setup is it's weak spot. You have to know the machine. Know how it works and what happens when it doesn't work. Ask Zombie, he launched LnL primer parts into Jack's ceiling once. My 650 has been flawless with priming and priming managment (managment is your issue).

well, I didn't know that if a primer didn't fail to fall, it would jam up the priming index. Had I known that, I would be checking.

I just thought it would cycle itself around, not drop another primer from the magazine and go on to be primed in a case.

now, that I know, it won't be a management issue any more.

rpgman
12-08-2011, 10:16
How thick is your bench? Is it attached to a wall?

its this one with a 1.75" thick hardwood top.

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/product.jsp?productId=101756

and it doesn't move when using the press.

JuneyBooney
12-08-2011, 10:16
Oh wait, nevermind.. :)

Sorry, I thought he was talking about a motorcycle. Can't help with the press. :whistling:

unclebob
12-08-2011, 11:15
What I suggest when a person no matter what press they are getting. Is before they get the press go to the companyís web site and down load the instruction manual. Read it. When the press arrives follow the directions on setting up the press. After you get a couple of thousand rounds through the press and need to clean it and understand a little more of what the press does. When it is apart, look to see what all the parts do and how they interact with other parts. Just like how many people know what the primer punch does on the 650, besides seating primers? And what would happen, if anything if it is not installed. Like if you just want to deprime a large number of brass and took out the primer punch.

The answer is. It also acts as a stop. If it is not installed you will eventually snap the ring indexer.

rpgman
12-08-2011, 11:20
What I suggest when a person no matter what press they are getting. Is before they get the press go to the companyís web site and down load the instruction manual. Read it. When the press arrives follow the directions on setting up the press. After you get a couple of thousand rounds through the press and need to clean it and understand a little more of what the press does. When it is apart, look to see what all the parts do and how they interact with other parts. Just like how many people know what the primer punch does on the 650, besides seating primers? And what would happen, if anything if it is not installed. Like if you just want to deprime a large number of brass and took out the primer punch.

The answer is. It also acts as a stop. If it is not installed you will eventually snap the ring indexer.

didn't know that either, but I did download the manual and read it a few times before I purchased the press.

F106 Fan
12-08-2011, 11:21
I am confident that the design of every presses primer setup is it's weak spot.

Absolutely! There isn't a machine out there that doesn't have primer problems from time to time.

I used to use an RCBS Green Machine and on this machine, the primer is inserted directly below the powder drop. How odd that I got a threatening letter from BATF telling me that they would investigate any explosions with that machine.

I used it for many years despite the threat until one day I ran into a piece of Blazer brass and exploded a primer directly under the powder drop. That was the very last time I used that machine and was the primary reason I bought a 1050.

I had a Dillon case feeder on the machine so it would run pretty fast and the ammo was quite good. But that one little 'bang' was enough to convince me that the BATF had a point.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJsr2ufRZK8

Richard

F106 Fan
12-08-2011, 11:27
didn't know that either, but I did download the manual and read it a few times before I purchased the press.

The problem with reading the manual before the press arrives is that there is no context. You can't look at the real mechanism and relate steel parts to paragraphs.

Not that pre-reading isn't important but, in my view, post-reading is even more important. Once you have the hardware and have loaded some rounds, that is the time to get serious about reading the manual. There will be several "ah ha!" moments.

Richard

meleors
12-08-2011, 11:34
I see...

You have obviously not drank enough blue kool-aid to understand! :whistling:

rpgman
12-08-2011, 11:53
You have obviously not drank enough blue kool-aid to understand! :whistling:

nope, I guess I need more.
we'll see if i'm still BLUE after a few weeks.

ya never know.

unclebob
12-08-2011, 11:59
Not that pre-reading isn't important but, in my view, post-reading is even more important. Once you have the hardware and have loaded some rounds, that is the time to get serious about reading the manual. There will be several "ah ha!" moments.

Richard

That is my point at first you really donít understand what is going on. But when you read it and put the press together you understand a little more. And then latter on reading it again, you understand it a lot more.
But at least for some people reading the manual at least once is better than not at all. Yes there are a lot of things that are not in the instruction manual. What rpgman asked about is not. But most of the time what people ask is in there instruction manual that they never read.
A long time ago on here a person had problems with the seating of primers at station two. So one of the things you do in changing calibers is you have to adjust the primer station locator tab. Well if you never read the manual you would not know that there is a hidden screw that is used to adjust the tab. But since both persons never read there instruction manual. One person told the other person to take a pair of pliers and bend the tab.

unclebob
12-08-2011, 12:02
nope, I guess I need more.
we'll see if i'm still BLUE after a few weeks.

ya never know.

It is 100% better than any of the red press's or green progressive press out there. IMHO.

rpgman
12-08-2011, 12:11
That is my point at first you really donít understand what is going on. But when you read it and put the press together you understand a little more. And then latter on reading it again, you understand it a lot more.
But at least for some people reading the manual at least once is better than not at all. Yes there are a lot of things that are not in the instruction manual. What rpgman asked about is not. But most of the time what people ask is in there instruction manual that they never read.
A long time ago on here a person had problems with the seating of primers at station two. So one of the things you do in changing calibers is you have to adjust the primer station locator tab. Well if you never read the manual you would not know that there is a hidden screw that is used to adjust the tab. But since both persons never read there instruction manual. One person told the other person to take a pair of pliers and bend the tab.

'bend the tab'....now even I know NOT to do that. Because, I read the manual before and while putting the press together.

GioaJack
12-08-2011, 12:11
It is 100% better than any of the red press's or green progressive press out there. IMHO.

Senility is not an admirable trait... especially around the holidays. :whistling:

Jack

unclebob
12-08-2011, 13:25
Senility is not an admirable trait... especially around the holidays. :whistling:

Jack

You only thank Iím senile. Sorry but Iím also not Pc. Itís

christmas

NOT Holiday :tongueout:

Colorado4Wheel
12-08-2011, 18:00
its this one with a 1.75" thick hardwood top.

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/product.jsp?productId=101756

and it doesn't move when using the press.

I know that table. It needs to be attached to the wall. Is it attached to the wall? The top is very sturdy, gut it is on screw adjustable legs (to adjust for uneven floor). The entire unit can vibrate while loading and you may not notice it. Attach it to the wall just to be safe. I suspect something is going on with shaking simply because it works fine when your not loading (just cycling by hand) and acts up when you load.

well, I didn't know that if a primer didn't fail to fall, it would jam up the priming index. Had I known that, I would be checking.

I just thought it would cycle itself around, not drop another primer from the magazine and go on to be primed in a case.

now, that I know, it won't be a management issue any more.

Either way the primer should fall. Unless you have out of round primers and then thats not the machines fault. All of my primers fall down the chute when I have a case not in station two. NEVER had one follow it around. Somthing is up with your machine or your primers. But I would lock that bench down tight to make sure some vibrations are not cause a issue. It's frustrating to chase problems and a rock solid bench is critical.

rpgman
12-08-2011, 18:41
Its attached to the wall and Dillon is sending a new primer assembly.

Btw is there an adjustment for the casefeed arm?
It was fine while I was loading 9mm but its not lining up with the casefeed body bushing n it hangs the .40 cases.

I looked all over the manual but don't see any adjustment for it.

It is a lot better than a lot of designs out there. Once you get a couple of hundred rounds loaded under your belt. You will fill the primer being seated. If it doesn’t you will know to pull the round out of station three and check for the primer. And if there is no primer to check the primer disk the second pull of the handle to make sure it dropped. If it didn’t get the Q-tip with the wood handle and get the primer out. Really the design is a very good one. The reloader needs to pay attention of what is going on. Reloading on the 650 is more of a felling and hearing of what is going on, more than looking in what is going on. That is why you don’t want a TV, radio, or talking to someone while reloading.

I know that table. It needs to be attached to the wall. Is it attached to the wall? The top is very sturdy, gut it is on screw adjustable legs (to adjust for uneven floor). The entire unit can vibrate while loading and you may not notice it. Attach it to the wall just to be safe. I suspect something is going on with shaking simply because it works fine when your not loading (just cycling by hand) and acts up when you load.

Either way the primer should fall. Unless you have out of round primers and then thats not the machines fault. All of my primers fall down the chute when I have a case not in station two. NEVER had one follow it around. Somthing is up with your machine or your primers. But I would lock that bench down tight to make sure some vibrations are not cause a issue. It's frustrating to chase problems and a rock solid bench is critical.

unclebob
12-08-2011, 19:15
Its attached to the wall and Dillon is sending a new primer assembly.

Btw is there an adjustment for the casefeed arm?
It was fine while I was loading 9mm but its not lining up with the casefeed body bushing n it hangs the .40 cases.

I looked all over the manual but don't see any adjustment for it.

If you saying that the arm does not go in all the way to drop the case. Loosen the cam screw and slide the case insert slide in a little until the arms goes far enough. Does not take much.

rpgman
12-08-2011, 20:03
If you saying that the arm does not go in all the way to drop the case. Loosen the cam screw and slide the case insert slide in a little until the arms goes far enough. Does not take much.

I did that before I asked the question n moved it over as far as it would go.
Still doesn't line up.

rpgman
12-09-2011, 04:10
Ok got it going.
Thanks for the help!.
Greg

I did that before I asked the question n moved it over as far as it would go.
Still doesn't line up.

Rinconjoe
12-09-2011, 17:41
if nothing else was good reading for me who is in the fact finding and deciding stage for what press to get looking for diffrences between the Dillion 550B and 650

rpgman
12-10-2011, 05:24
if nothing else was good reading for me who is in the fact finding and deciding stage for what press to get looking for diffrences between the Dillion 550B and 650

Cool. Im a rockin n rollin again thanks to the help of unclebob n c4w n Dillon.
I did 400 rounds of. 40 in an hour last night without any issues. I only did 400 rounds because I was going slow making sure the press n I were doing everything correct.

Today I'll speed it up a bit.
Greg

Colorado4Wheel
12-10-2011, 07:55
Smooth is fast. What changed/helped?

rpgman
12-10-2011, 08:07
Smooth is fast. What changed/helped?

Well. I'm still using the old primer system (haven't received the new one from Dillon yet ) but I'm using Winchester primers instead of CCI and I'm doing proper press management as you mentioned.
Im sure its the proper management plus more knowledge of how the press works with the help of yourself and unclebob.
Thanks for help.

unclebob
12-10-2011, 09:34
Well. I'm still using the old primer system (haven't received the new one from Dillon yet ) but I'm using Winchester primers instead of CCI and I'm doing proper press management as you mentioned.
Im sure its the proper management plus more knowledge of how the press works with the help of yourself and unclebob.
Thanks for help.

The biggest thing at least for me is to feel the primer going into the case. And looking inside the case for powder and the same amount of powder. Everything else besides placing a bullet is done for you.
I still donít think there is anything wrong with the primer assembly that you have. There are a lot of different things that prevent the primer from going down the ski ramp. Like crushed primers, out of round primer, sealant on the primer, primer got a little tipped in the disk. Etc.
One of the things that I did was I took a Dermal tool with the bullet shaped felt tip with some; I use Flitz metal polish and polished all the holes both sides. I also did the hole top and bottom of the disk. Did it help? I still have primers that hang up. But most of the time it is from crushed primers. I also polished the platform.

rpgman
12-11-2011, 06:59
Make sure the brass tip on the primer tube and the disc are free of burrs and nicks. You should have spares in your spare parts kit. I wonder why it went in sideways?

You mention u polished the primer disc.
Could u explain what dremel tip u used for the holes n u used flitz correct?

unclebob
12-11-2011, 07:45

I used Flitz metal polish. With the bullet shaped tip for the holes. And the regular round one for the platform.

rpgman
12-11-2011, 09:20
I used Flitz metal polish. With the bullet shaped tip for the holes. And the regular round one for the platform.

Thanks

Colorado4Wheel
12-11-2011, 18:00

I said you should look for burrs on yours. I never had to polish mine. My 650 has had a great priming setup once I lubed that center pin.