Need a little help [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Need a little help

win
12-05-2011, 20:00
I am reloading some .40 s&w. My reloader is a dillon 550B. I am using dillon dies. I bought them used here on GT. I am loading once fired brass.
First problem I am having is my shell plate wants to tight its self down after a dozen turns or so. Should I lube the end of the bolt that holds the shell plate in place.
Next problem is I am smashing brass. At the base about an 1/8 inch up. their is a a little bulge. Sometime its all the around the case. It looks like it did not resize it all or the case was to large.
will try posting a pic but camera sucks.
any help would be great
thanks

ron59
12-05-2011, 20:04
I am reloading some .40 s&w. My reloader is a dillon 550B. I am using dillon dies. I bought them used here on GT. I am loading once fired brass.
First problem I am having is my shell plate wants to tight its self down after a dozen turns or so. Should I lube the end of the bolt that holds the shell plate in place.
Next problem is I am smashing brass. At the base about an 1/8 inch up. their is a a little bulge. Sometime its all the around the case. It looks like it did not resize it all or the case was to large.
will try posting a pic but camera sucks.
any help would be great
thanks

There's a small setscrew that holds the shellplate in place. You raise the shellplate some, you can see the hole on the left. Read the instructions.

win
12-05-2011, 20:30
not to sound stupid but what is left of my instructions does not really say. I see the screw on the left of the ram.

D. Manley
12-05-2011, 20:34
not to sound stupid but what is left of my instructions does not really say. I see the screw on the left of the ram.

Dillon has downloadable user instructions for all presses on their site in .pdf format. They also have a nice little trouble-shooter guides that solve most common issues.

win
12-05-2011, 20:35
O 10 4
will check it out
thanks

njl
12-05-2011, 21:16
As for the crushed brass, you might try cleaning your sizing die...but if that doesn't help, I bet lubing your brass will. Also, make sure you read the instructions on die setup. The lock rings on the dies need to be tightened with the ram up, with a case in the shell plate position / die having its lock ring tightened. This helps make sure the dies are centered.

Colorado4Wheel
12-05-2011, 21:37

Download them and read all of them. Then read it again. You don't have to tell any of your buddies you read the instructions. No one around here will tell anyone either.:cool:

fredj338
12-05-2011, 23:50
The shell plate needs to be snug but still turn, then lock it down w/ the locking hex nut in the ram. The sizing issue sounds like you do not have the paper clip looking piece in palce or adjusted right. It should be a snug fit to keep the shell case in line w/ the die. Sounds like you haven't read your setup instructions.

F106 Fan
12-06-2011, 00:08
That little bulge at the bottom of the case could be caused by the fact that the resizing die doesn't touch the shellplate when the ram is raised. It should; just barely.

If the bulge doesn't disappear after you properly adjust the sizing die, you MAY need to buy a Lee sizing die. It will size down a little closer to the base than the Dillon die.

Richard

fredj338
12-06-2011, 10:25
That little bulge at the bottom of the case could be caused by the fact that the resizing die doesn't touch the shellplate when the ram is raised. It should; just barely.

If the bulge doesn't disappear after you properly adjust the sizing die, you MAY need to buy a Lee sizing die. It will size down a little closer to the base than the Dillon die.

Richard
Because he said; Next problem is I am smashing brass. At the base about an 1/8 inch up. their is a a little bulge. Sometime its all the around the case. It looks like it did not resize it all or the case was to large.
SOunds like a bit more than just not sizing. I have had this happen when the case retaining clip isn't adjusted to push the case into the shell plate so it centers up. If it's a bulge all around, then the die may not be just touching as you indicate.

F106 Fan
12-06-2011, 10:54
Because he said;
SOunds like a bit more than just not sizing. I have had this happen when the case retaining clip isn't adjusted to push the case into the shell plate so it centers up. If it's a bulge all around, then the die may not be just touching as you indicate.

When I have a case that doesn't quite get into the shell plate it gets CRUSHED - no little namby-pamby bulge. It's CRUSHED. That retaining clip is my least favorite part on the 550B.

It's kind of hard to tell without a photo exactly what is happening to the shell. Could go either way...

Richard

fredj338
12-06-2011, 15:09
When I have a case that doesn't quite get into the shell plate it gets CRUSHED - no little namby-pamby bulge. It's CRUSHED. That retaining clips is my least favorite part on the 550B.

It's kind of hard to tell without a photo exactly what is happening to the shell. Could go either way...

Richard

Exactly, w/o pics, one person's crushed is anothers bulge. Hence my suggestion his cases are not aligned during sizing. It really does help to read instructions.

win
12-06-2011, 17:08
will try several thing tonight. I have not had this problem when loading 45 acp or 9mm. It does not do it on every case. just now and then. Its more of a bulge than crush.
I cleaned the resizing die. It is supposed to be carbide. but will try lubing them.
will try retaining clip. die is almost touching the shell plate. backed off a 1/4 turn.
would post pic but camera will not take good pic

F106 Fan
12-06-2011, 17:19
will try several thing tonight. I have not had this problem when loading 45 acp or 9mm. It does not do it on every case. just now and then. Its more of a bulge than crush.
I cleaned the resizing die. It is supposed to be carbide. but will try lubing them.
will try retaining clip. die is almost touching the shell plate. backed off a 1/4 turn.
would post pic but camera will not take good pic

Is the case bulged before you resize it?

If this isn't .45 or 9mm, what are you loading? I just went back through the thread and I don't see where the cartridge type is described.

If you are loading a bottleneck cartridge, you may be pushing the shoulder down and crushing the bottom of the case.

For anything other than straightwall cases, you need a case gauge to know that the shoulder, on which the cartridge headspaces, is in the right position relative to the base.

For pistol cases, the resizing die should touch the shell plate. For rifle cases, the die should be backed off 1/2 turn - this according to the Dillon manual:

http://www.dillonhelp.com/manuals/english/Dillon-Die-Instructions-May-2007.pdf

Richard

win
12-06-2011, 19:07
O sorry I am loading .40 s&w
I am new to .40. My other pistol caliber I have loaded for years.
I have notices a big difference in the cases. some just slid right in the shell holder and the shell holder turns very smooth. Other case do not go into the shell holder as easily and when trunning the shell holder is harder. some case can be wiggled back and forth in the shell holder and other a very firm.
I reset the sizing die with a case in it. I can't remember if I done that before. I still randomly get a case with a bulge at the bottom. I was watch very close to the retaining clip. It holds the case in very good I think.
I have not tried lubing the cased yet.
My instruction have been lost over the years. I will go to dillon and download a set.
thanks again for all your help

unclebob
12-06-2011, 19:34
O sorry I am loading .40 s&w
I am new to .40. My other pistol caliber I have loaded for years.
I have notices a big difference in the cases. some just slid right in the shell holder and the shell holder turns very smooth. Other case do not go into the shell holder as easily and when trunning the shell holder is harder. some case can be wiggled back and forth in the shell holder and other a very firm.
I reset the sizing die with a case in it. I can't remember if I done that before. I still randomly get a case with a bulge at the bottom. I was watch very close to the retaining clip. It holds the case in very good I think.
I have not tried lubing the cased yet.
My instruction have been lost over the years. I will go to dillon and download a set.
thanks again for all your help

If we are talking about a 550 right? Why is there a difference when you turn the shell plate? The case does not go below the shell plate it does in the grove in the shell plate. The only thing I can think of why the case does not turn easy in the shell plate is there are burrs on the case. But then why are you trying to turn the case anyway? And the only thing that would prevent the shell plate from turning easy is you donít have it adjusted right. Or the primer is not ejecting out of the case and rubbing on the platform and if that was the case you could not seating a live primer. Or you are not seating the primer all the way into the case.

njl
12-06-2011, 21:09
Carbide pistol dies (at least for straight/slightly tapered cases) don't need lube, but they benefit greatly from it.

It sounds like you may be loading mixed brass. You might try sorting your brass and seeing if you find you have more or less problems with certain headstamps.

F106 Fan
12-07-2011, 00:18
I have read on the Internet (not necessarily a reliable source) that brass from a Glock will be somewhat larger in diameter than brass from other guns. This is presumed to be caused by a larger chamber on Glocks.

If this is your brass, you should know where it has been. If it is recovered brass, who knows? Look at the primer. If the indent is rectangular, rather than round, it is probably from a Glock. Actually, the indent is round but there is a rectangular protrusion imprinted from the striker opening in the slide.

Particularly on the 40's, the Glock chamber doesn't support the case very well. This results in a bulge near the base of the brass and that's why the Dillon die doesn't usually resize it very well. The Lee die is supposed to work a little better.

Other people just toss 40 brass that came from a Glock.

You can see pictures of Glock brass here:
http://www.glockpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11426

Note the little rectanglular extrusion. Note also the firing pin 'drag'.

The Lee die works better because the radius at the leading edge is smaller. That allows it to get a little further down the brass. However, it doesn't make it easier to use in a Dillon press because the brass has to be sitting almost perfect to make it into the die. Still, the die works ok in my 550B for 9mm.

Richard

F106 Fan
12-07-2011, 11:56
I don't reload .40 S&W (yet!) so I'm not quite up to speed on the issues with Glocks and 40s. I have seen pictures of the cases with a little bulge near the base and I realize that it is caused by the unsupported chamber common to Glock.

What I didn't realize is that Lee makes a Bulge Buster. Here's a video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCDN2PRdn4A

As I said, I don't reload this caliber so I have no idea if the Bulge Buster is a good thing or not. But, apparently, it works.

I'm not one for putting steps back into the reloading process and the thought that I would have to first pass brass through the Bulge Buster is disconcerting but buying new brass is expensive.

I think the trick to the .40 S&W is to shoot a Sig.

Richard

Colorado4Wheel
12-07-2011, 17:03
So he gets a 550, doesn't read any instructions (I know he doesn't have them, but they are on the web). Now he is going to have the Glock Bulge issue. Just becaue it was mentioned. Not because he actually has it. He will need to get the Lee bulge buster kit and seperate Single Stage. So then he can have a multiple stage process to load his .40.

OR

He could set the press up right and start loading ammo. If he actually has a problem (highly unlikely) get a Lee sizing die and be done with it.

PCJim
12-07-2011, 17:22
It is possible that the bulge was there prior to your running it thru the resizing die. Did you check the brass beforehand? Any bulge existing before resizing would appear more pronounced after resizing the case.

Difficult shellplate advancing could be caused by improper seating of the new primer, a malformed extractor groove or scratches/nicks from a rough extractor. The latter two can cause the case to sit lower and rub the shellplate platform, while a high seated primer itself will rub the platform.

I have experienced malformed extractor groove and nicks with RPU (range pickup) brass, especially when reloading .223. It will definitely create a drag when advancing the shellplate.

unclebob
12-07-2011, 17:47
I don't reload .40 S&W (yet!) so I'm not quite up to speed on the issues with Glocks and 40s. I have seen pictures of the cases with a little bulge near the base and I realize that it is caused by the unsupported chamber common to Glock.

What I didn't realize is that Lee makes a Bulge Buster. Here's a video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCDN2PRdn4A

As I said, I don't reload this caliber so I have no idea if the Bulge Buster is a good thing or not. But, apparently, it works.

I'm not one for putting steps back into the reloading process and the thought that I would have to first pass brass through the Bulge Buster is disconcerting but buying new brass is expensive.

I think the trick to the .40 S&W is to shoot a Sig.

Richard

When I first started shooting Glocks I had a Glock 22 from there I got a G27, G23, another G22, and a G24. All brass that I shot was range pickup. I have two friends that I shot with also had the same guns, all shot range pickup brass. I shot over 20,000+ rounds through mine and they probably shot double or even more of what I shot. Until we all went with 9mm. No bulge busters were ever used. No such animal at that time. Never had any trouble with bulged brass. Case head separation from using range pickup. And I was using Dillon dies. I wonder how I made it through all of those years shooting 40 S&W using mixed range pickup brass no bulge buster with no problem. I wonder what I was doing wrong?
Also shooting now G26, 2 G17, G34, G30 & sf 21 and sf, G37, G38. Mixed range brass pickup with no problems.

Colorado4Wheel
12-07-2011, 17:55
NOTHING matters till he sets the press up right.

But, I'm with Bob. Somehow some way, I have manged to load 10K's of 1Ks of rounds with out a push through die or special anything. Even using a KKM and LW barrel. It boggles my mind sometimes how hard people make this stuff. And that is coming from me, a guy who tends to want things perfect and overanalysis stuff.

win
12-07-2011, 18:29
I called dillon tonight. He told me to lube the cases.
I told him how my press is setup.
I think it is an alinement issue. I do not think I getting the shell plate 100% alined.

win
12-07-2011, 18:35
another picture

F106 Fan
12-07-2011, 19:21
Sorry guys, I don't recognize many of the Glock model numbers. I am limited to 17, 19, 34. 35 & 36. I actually own a 21SF - my first Glock.

The case doesn't look like it has been sized down close enough to the base. The image resolution doesn't allow it to be blown up far enough to understand what is actually happening.

Richard

unclebob
12-07-2011, 20:33
I called dillon tonight. He told me to lube the cases.
I told him how my press is setup.
I think it is an alinement issue. I do not think I getting the shell plate 100% alined.

Did you tell them that you wanted an alignment tool? Yes there is an alignment tool.

win
12-07-2011, 22:06
yes and its on the way

win
12-27-2011, 20:14
well after trying everthing twice I decided to try something different. I send the decaping die and some messed up brass to dillon. Today I got a new decaping die in the mail. I loaded about 250 rounds tonight. Not one problem. Everything ran smooth and perfect.
thanks again