I hate my RCBS handprime tool. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : I hate my RCBS handprime tool.

kewa0501
12-05-2011, 20:43
I was wondering if anyone else had problems and solutions for their RCBS handprime tool.

Mine has a variety of problems:
1) Primers do not feel well at all. I have to shake or tap it continuously to get them to feed.
2) The primer tray cover likes to fall off or sits loose enough that when I tap it to get primers to flow that primers have a tendency to flip over.
3) The ram doesn't always fall all the way back down not allowing the primer to flow correctly.

So, short of buying something else, what have you done?

Hogpauls
12-05-2011, 22:42
I've had similar problems with the cover, I just put a rubberband on it. I don't recall if the ram on mine stuck, I think it was the connecting rod from the lever to the main body. Some dry teflon lube squared that away and no complaints lately from it.

fredj338
12-05-2011, 22:47
I sold mine & bought a Hornady, that solved the problem.

kewa0501
12-05-2011, 22:55
I've had similar problems with the cover, I just put a rubberband on it. I don't recall if the ram on mine stuck, I think it was the connecting rod from the lever to the main body. Some dry teflon lube squared that away and no complaints lately from it.

Did you ever have problems w/ primers feeding?
I have been using duct tape (small strips) to keep it on but a big rubber band sounds way better!

and believe me, I want the hornady or the blue kool-aid but I'm a college student.... $$$

IndyGunFreak
12-05-2011, 23:32
I have been using duct tape (small strips) to keep it on but a big rubber band sounds way better!

and believe me, I want the hornady or the blue kool-aid but I'm a college student.... $$$

I think he means the hornady hand priming tool

jbrown13
12-06-2011, 06:18
I guess I got lucky with my RCBS hand tool. Mine has worked flawlessly for seating tens of thousands of primers.

fredj338
12-06-2011, 09:20

Then sell it to someone that likes Green & get the Lee. It does work, but I perfer the Hornady.

Agent6-3/8
12-06-2011, 10:11
I've used Lee's Auto prime for years. Even the new XR model works fine for me. In fact all of my Lee products have served me well over the years.

AA#5
12-06-2011, 10:23
I sold mine & bought a Hornady, that solved the problem.

Same here. I used the RCBS for a week then bought the Hornady - WAY better.

Hogpauls
12-06-2011, 15:29

Only before I put the rubberband on it.

Zombie Steve
12-06-2011, 16:20
I guess I got lucky with my RCBS hand tool. Mine has worked flawlessly for seating tens of thousands of primers.

I thought I was the only one...

WiskyT
12-06-2011, 17:05
Mine works fine. It is a bit of a PITA to change shellholders. I only use it for 30-06 so I got an extra shellholder and just leave it installed.

Taterhead
12-06-2011, 17:07
100% with large pistol and rifle primers. Had some problems with small primers flipping sidewayswhen entering the case. Contacted RCBS who promptly sent out new plastic parts and a new case holder. Kudos for the customer service.

100% since. The ram can get sticky if the little plastic doodad that holds the case holder is not set right. Also the tray must be fully seated. If I do my part to get the setups right, then no problems.

oldsoldier
12-06-2011, 17:29
I use Lee Auto Prime tools. I have one for large primers and one for small primers. They are often on sale at Midway.

19112TAP
12-07-2011, 09:50
I have had some of the same problems you all have seen but that being said I just use it and go on with life and some day I might replace it.

PCJim
12-07-2011, 16:04
I haven't had any problems that I can recall with mine, but must admit it is very rare that I use it.

Fatdaddy
12-08-2011, 03:41
Mine works great. I have noticed problems when using the Lee shellholders with it. They will cause the ram to bind sometimes. If the shellholder's lined up correctly it shouldn't bind.

Uncle Don
12-08-2011, 10:01
I've used Lee's Auto prime for years. Even the new XR model works fine for me. In fact all of my Lee products have served me well over the years.

Careful - you'll get in trouble for that kind of talk around here. :whistling:

Steve Koski
12-08-2011, 13:00
I have several Lee products that have NEVER failed, even once.

GioaJack
12-08-2011, 13:42
I have several Lee products that have NEVER failed, even once.

Take 'em out of the box and try usin' 'em. :whistling:

Jack

StaTiK
12-08-2011, 19:00
Take 'em out of the box and try usin' 'em. :whistling:

Zing! OK let me try one... "Box? Don't they come in a brown paper bag?"

Ok all joking aside, I don't have RCBS equipment but I'm told the warranty is great. Try calling RCBS and give them the chance to fix it; maybe it's something simple.

-StaTiK-

kewa0501
12-08-2011, 20:12
Actually, with using a big rubber band to hold the cover on it works great. I think the next thing to replace is the little plastic piece that the primers feed into.

FM12
12-08-2011, 22:04
After using the Lee auto prime for 30 years, I tried the rcbs. Sold it the next day, didnt like the feel.

Still using the Lee.