Safariland experts [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Safariland experts

verdugo60
12-05-2011, 23:50
You guys seem to like them, I'm looking for a good three gun, IPSC, possible carryonduty in future with light on holster for my M&P 9mm full size. Is safariland "the one" and if so, what model and why? I know practically nothing about them. Thanks!

DaBigBR
12-06-2011, 05:06
6280 or 6360 would be your two options for a light-bearing holster from Safariland. Both are good on-duty choices, although neither are going to be an ultra super fast competition holster. They have a very similar straight-up draw stroke. I prefer Safariland duty holsters because they are consistently the best constructed, most secure, nicest looking options on the market.

expatman
12-06-2011, 05:10
Try the ALS variety if they have one that fits your needs. I love mine. It is nearly as fast as a nonretention kydex holster.

BamaTrooper
12-06-2011, 06:18
I wouldn't use a duty holster for USPSA type stuff. Too much faster gear out there.

verdugo60
12-06-2011, 08:20
Thanks guys. I think I might just do a Blade-tech DOH and worry 'bout the duty holster when the time comes.

merlynusn
12-06-2011, 10:43
A duty holster, while fast is not a competition holster or a even necessarily a CCW holster. Duty is made to be worn OC and needs good retention due to the chances of being in a scuffle. A regular CCW holster, while needing retention, does not need the retention of a full duty holster.

I do like the Safariland ALS holsters myself.

lawman800
12-07-2011, 00:43
6280 or 6360 would be your two options for a light-bearing holster from Safariland. Both are good on-duty choices, although neither are going to be an ultra super fast competition holster. They have a very similar straight-up draw stroke. I prefer Safariland duty holsters because they are consistently the best constructed, most secure, nicest looking options on the market.

To the OP: I would recommend the low ride versions of the above, 6285 or 6365, because the 1.5" drop allows me to draw without having to bend and tuck my elbow in so much as with the mid-ride versions my esteemed colleague suggests.

It's a matter of personal preference, but as BR stated, these are both DUTY holsters with retention and safety first and foremost, and not speed. If you are looking for a competition rig, duty rigs are about as far as you can get from what you want. Even concealment rigs are faster and better suited than duty rigs.

However, with the regular 6280/6285 "SLS" rigs, you have one rotating hood which doesn't slow you down as much as the rotating hood AND extra release button on the 6360/6365 "ALS" rig.

The open top "ALS" 6320 or variants give you the release button without the rotating hood. So you have to decide between the hood, the button, or both.

Go to a stocking dealer for Safariland and try them all out to see if any actually fit what you are looking for.

DaBigBR
12-07-2011, 19:23
However, with the regular 6280/6285 "SLS" rigs, you have one rotating hood which doesn't slow you down as much as the rotating hood AND extra release button on the 6360/6365 "ALS" rig.

When used properly, there is absolutely no difference in speed or draw stroke between the two holsters. The ALS lever is positioned in such a way that rolling the hood down while obtaining a proper grip will drive the thumb in to the lever, disabling it. Most intuitive retention device I have ever used.

FiremanMike
12-07-2011, 19:56
I feel the exception to the above posts is the 6320, which is a 6360 without a hood. It is superfast and I am more than comfortable with it's retention as a duty holster.

With that said, it's discontinued and damn hard to find.

Keeperofthedew
12-07-2011, 22:29
I don't think the 6320 is discontinued, but if it is, copquest still has a bunch.
http://www.copquest.com/23-0780.htm

rookie1
12-08-2011, 01:47
To the OP: I would recommend the low ride versions of the above, 6285 or 6365, because the 1.5" drop allows me to draw without having to bend and tuck my elbow in so much as with the mid-ride versions my esteemed colleague suggests.

It's a matter of personal preference, but as BR stated, these are both DUTY holsters with retention and safety first and foremost, and not speed. If you are looking for a competition rig, duty rigs are about as far as you can get from what you want. Even concealment rigs are faster and better suited than duty rigs.

The open top "ALS" 6320 or variants give you the release button without the rotating hood. So you have to decide between the hood, the button, or both.

Go to a stocking dealer for Safariland and try them all out to see if any actually fit what you are looking for.

My department was issued the Blackhawk Serpa and everyone was given the "low ride" version and later they were given the option to get the mid, or high ride replacement. I kept the low ride. After looking at everyone with their mid and high ride attachments it looks like the gun is up in their armpit. The low ride digs into the seat but overall I like how little bending the elbow has to go to get to the gun. Just my preference.

FiremanMike
12-09-2011, 14:28
I don't think the 6320 is discontinued, but if it is, copquest still has a bunch.
http://www.copquest.com/23-0780.htm

Interesting, I finally tracked mine down about 6 months ago. At the time, all sites were listing them as "backorder", shortly after, opticsplanet took them completely off. I called up safariland who confirmed they were discontinued. Perhaps they brought them back?

It's a great holster, I love mine.

lawman800
12-09-2011, 17:39
My department was issued the Blackhawk Serpa and everyone was given the "low ride" version and later they were given the option to get the mid, or high ride replacement. I kept the low ride. After looking at everyone with their mid and high ride attachments it looks like the gun is up in their armpit. The low ride digs into the seat but overall I like how little bending the elbow has to go to get to the gun. Just my preference.

My brother!