20g as people stopper. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 20g as people stopper.

Sgt. Rambo
12-06-2011, 06:48
Hey all, just looking for some feedback on 20G specifically slugs as people stoppers. I inherited a nice Mossberg 20 gauge and was thinking of making it a nice slug gun, w scope and what not. I have plenty of time w 12gauge but no real exposure to 20 gauge. Any thoughts or suggestions how to trick this thing out and the ballistics on 20g slugs.

Big Bird
12-06-2011, 07:18
1/8 ounce difference in projectile weight not much else. They will get the job done wonderfully. My best friend in high school killed his first three deer with 20 gauge slugs and from what I've seen of the wound channels (clean pass through on all three) I wouldn't want someone shooting one at me...

Leigh
12-06-2011, 07:38
"Twenty is plenty."

A slug is a slug and from the number of 2-legged critters I've seen downed with a 20, it should prove just as effective on 2-legged varmints.

Downside? Possibly the lack of general availability at the larger 'Mart stores.

pugman
12-06-2011, 22:56
"Twenty is plenty."

A slug is a slug and from the number of 2-legged critters I've seen downed with a 20, it should prove just as effective on 2-legged varmints.

Downside? Possibly the lack of general availability at the larger 'Mart stores.

This.

Knowing its possible my 5'3 wife might be handling our HD shotgun I went with a twenty gauge.

In HD situations where distances are 12-15 ft I doubt any bad guy on the other end of it is going to be any less dead.

The problem is finding 20 gauge ammo in bulk. I never buy ammo unless I can buy it in bulk just because its cheaper and I figure practice with (at least to some degree) what you carry; also lets face it ammo (whether you reload or not) isn't getting less expensive.

********.com and Luckygunner do sell Remington Express #3 Buckshot in 250 quanities. Ammunitiontogo sells #2, #3 and #4 Buckshot in 25 count boxes.

But its hit or miss at best.

Considering a 20 gauge slug is the equal to a .615 caliber bullet...I'm sure in HD situations a 20G slug would just fine.

WoodenPlank
12-07-2011, 00:34
20ga is fine, but for HD I'd suggest a quality buckshot load over slugs. Greater wound channel, lower chances of over-penetration.

Sgt. Rambo
12-07-2011, 07:06
Good stuff guys.... @pugman, thanks for that ammo link. Going there next.
Any thoughts on where to buy a smaller barrel? What is the shortest barrel they make for a 20G. Same as the 12g models? Will check manufaturers site next but they usually aren't the cheapest.

WoodenPlank
12-07-2011, 07:42
Good stuff guys.... @pugman, thanks for that ammo link. Going there next.
Any thoughts on where to buy a smaller barrel? What is the shortest barrel they make for a 20G. Same as the 12g models? Will check manufaturers site next but they usually aren't the cheapest.

Shortest you can legally go without ATF paperwork is 18".

K.Kiser
12-07-2011, 16:28
A 20 ga. will be more than effective enough to stop a Man... I also agree to use a shotshell instead of a slug... No advantage to a slug withing self-defense distances, only disadvantages...

To mimic Big Bird's post, a good friend killed his first whitetail with a 20 gauge single shot H&R when we were 12 years old... That little spike buck caught a single #3 buck pellet to the heart @ about 30 yards, ran about 25 yards and gave up... I was growing into the age and stage where I was convinced that none of my guns were big enough despite my elder's wisdom, but that was a little humbling...

Goldstar225
12-09-2011, 21:42
That 20 gauge will do just fine. I killed my first deer with one. Two rounds of #3 buck from 20 yards. When we peeled the hide off it looked like a sieve with over 40 pellet holes in it (some hits went completely through).

K.Kiser
12-10-2011, 09:05
That 20 gauge will do just fine. I killed my first deer with one. Two rounds of #3 buck from 20 yards. When we peeled the hide off it looked like a sieve with over 40 pellet holes in it (some hits went completely through).

Don't let some people read that, as they are under the assumption that only 00 buck can penetrate reliably even at 20 feet... :dunno:

WoodenPlank
12-10-2011, 09:06
Don't let some people read that, as they are under the assumption that only 00 buck can penetrate reliably even at 20 feet... :dunno:

Any buck shot will penetrate reliably at HD distances. Bird shot is a totally different story.

Nutt51
12-10-2011, 12:39
20ga. with the right ammo will neutralize the situation as fast as a 12ga.
Some Women and smaller statue Men can handle a 12ga. just fine,
but my Wife and Daughter-In-Law, do well and are more comfortable
with a 20ga. youth model 870.

Sgt. Rambo
12-10-2011, 14:31
.....NOW.... how do I jazz this thing up so its not only reliable BUT fashionble in the HD GT world....lol I would welcome suggestions on what you would do to make it "tactical" Lights stock modifications etc. Do they make same accesories for Mossberg 20g as they do the 12? Hope that is not a stupid question but 20 gauges traditionally aren't modified.

fasteddie565
12-11-2011, 08:23
.....NOW.... how do I jazz this thing up so its not only reliable BUT fashionble in the HD GT world....lol I would welcome suggestions on what you would do to make it "tactical" Lights stock modifications etc. Do they make same accesories for Mossberg 20g as they do the 12? Hope that is not a stupid question but 20 gauges traditionally aren't modified.

It should have a light and your ladies should practice how to use it. Surefire makes some nice solutions for the 870, not sure if they fit the 20 ga or not.

Just keep in mind that gear will not compensate for training.

Nutt51
12-11-2011, 18:47
Here is a good video provided by Aippi, about HD shotguns.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdW2TAfN3mQ

Here is Aippi's link and advice on HD shotguns.
Lot's of good info there.

http://aiptactical.com/Build_Your_Weapon.html

He advises the KISS method for a good HD shotgun.

Bob Hafler
12-17-2011, 13:17
Quite a while back I decided when I moved from a brick and block house into a wooden frame home. I wanted a shotgun for HD instead of the 357 I was using at the old place. So I go over to the local GS and talk to the owner about it. Now I'm thinking this guy is going to hand me some shotgun that cost a small furtune and my first born. He asked me if I was married to which I said yes, he turns around with out a second thought picks this short shotgun off the rack behind him.It turned out to be a 20Ga Mossberg crusier with a pistol grip. I said 20ga for HD ? He said that a 20 ga will do everything you need it to do in a HD situation, and your wife won't break her shoulder and knocked on her Butt god forbid she should ever have to fire it. He also then brought down the almost exact model in a 12 ga. that he offered to sell me if that's what I reallly wanted. But he said he really doesn't like selling something that people do not need and that he personally uses a 20 Ga in his own home with #3 buck in it. Like I mentioned I really didn't know what I wanted or what the prices would be but, I was so impressed with what this guy had to say and felt good because he didn't try to sell me the latest and greatest product at that time that I reallly didn't need. I bought it and like he suggested took the pistol grip off and replaced with a rifle type stock. Now I've had that 20 ga for over 15 years and have never regretted buying it. I've talked to allot of other gun shop owners and they have repeated the same thing for HD a 20 ga with #3 buck is a very good choice. I have become a life long customer of his because of his honesty.

voiceofreason
12-17-2011, 16:07
+1 on using buckshot over slugs; but have slugs handy as well