Glock or Beretta [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Glock or Beretta

puckhead
12-06-2011, 09:25
I am planning to switch what I cary to either a Glock or a Beretta. Either one will be in .40. I shot the Beretta in the academy a while back and did good with it. Glock holds more rounds. Also my backup is the 27.

Any input? Thanks guys!

buddah
12-06-2011, 09:33
My vote for glock especially since your BUG is glock.

Ajon412
12-06-2011, 10:02

I'll second that...Unless you're looking for an excuse to but a compact Beretta...:whistling:

BTW, is it a Glock 23 or 22? Which weapon system are you more proficient with?

bruzer
12-06-2011, 10:33
I am no expert but you already carry a Glock 27 as a BUG so if it were me I would carry a Glock as a primary too. It would not matter if I was a better with the Beretta because with the PROPER training you will get good with any weapon system. And with the PROPER training you will know why you carry what you do. Good luck,
Mike

MeefZah
12-06-2011, 13:13
I love the Beretta platform, it just feels right in my hand.

I will concede though, that the Glock is probably a better and more durable weapon (think locking block failures) and since your second gun is a 27, as others have said, it just makes sense to get a 22 (or 23).

Ducowti
12-06-2011, 16:06
As noted keep your weapons systems consistent - go w.the Glock. I have a G23 but my BUG and OD is a M&P 40c, as my duty is the M&P 40.

collim1
12-06-2011, 16:16
If it has to be .40 I vote glock. They make a great .40 duty gun and BUG in the 27.

In 9mm though, my heart is with the Beretta. The 92fs is one of my top three favorite guns.

grecco
12-06-2011, 16:23
Go with what you are most comfortable with.
Either will serve you very well.

4949shooter
12-06-2011, 16:24
Glock!

My G22 is a sweet shooter.

Patchman
12-06-2011, 16:34
Given your situation (G27 as backup), I'd also say Glock. KISS and all that!

DaBigBR
12-06-2011, 17:41
G22 or G23.

RocPO
12-06-2011, 19:30
Glock. 22 or 23 depending on your hand size.

txleapd
12-06-2011, 19:50

This would be my advice too. Pick the one you prefer. There are a whole slew of guns I would choose over either of these, but that's my preference. No one can tell you what you like.

Jackalo626
12-06-2011, 19:55
both is what I did

lawman800
12-07-2011, 01:47
I have always officially carried a Glock on duty, but have tried the Beretta platforms off duty just to get familiar with it... and I have tried the 92FS, 96F, 92 Centurion, and even the 84F just to see how it goes... and while they are beautiful guns and the action is smooth as silk, it was just too much weight and size for not enough capacity.

Even the supposedly compact Centurion is not that compact. The G23 that I ended up using most of the time was a way smaller and lighter package that held 3 more rounds in the magazine, which also complemented my G22 duty gun, so it was a brief dalliance with Beretta.

I still have a beautiful Inox in my safe but it's for looking, not for carry.

puckhead
12-07-2011, 03:48
Thanks for the input guys! I will most likely go with the Glock. Lighter, more ammo, and compatibility.

MarcDW
12-07-2011, 04:21
Thanks for the input guys! I will most likely go with the Glock. Lighter, more ammo, and compatibility.

On top you should be saving some money with the G22.
Upgrades are cheaper and more available too.

freeride88
12-08-2011, 03:19
Man, do I hate Beretta. Glock all the way.

puckhead
12-08-2011, 03:36
Not too worried about the cost. Although accessories, holster etc. Are cheaper. Off duty dress I would probably carry the berreta. Gonna check out the glock next time I get to the cop shop.

BuckyP
12-08-2011, 05:35

This.

both is what I did

Your carry a GLOCK and Beretta on duty? :headscratch:

I like both platforms, but it's hard to argue with this.

puckhead
12-08-2011, 13:42
I like both as well. The only thing that I am hesitant about is going from a DA/SA to a striker fired duty gun. Carry a Sig now, like the Beretta better. Being able to cock the weapon while putting down an animal is a plus too, at least in my book.

lawman800
12-08-2011, 14:45
Being able to cock the weapon while putting down an animal is a plus too, at least in my book.

What's the difference between that and just shooting the animal DA or striker style?

Cochese
12-08-2011, 16:15
Being able to cock the weapon while putting down an animal is a plus too, at least in my book.

:headscratch:

Go with a Glock. Why are you dumping the Sig? Which Sig? Why .40? Weapon light?

????

puckhead
12-08-2011, 17:42
lol, knew I would get some head scratches on that. Is kinda weird if I read it back to myself. I just don't care for the Sig. (p226(I think) .40)I think Beretta did it better personally. Why .40? I dunno, thats all I have ever shot with handguns/duty weapons. I think it is a good round and the dept. supplies it. Any suggestions otherwise? No weapon light

BuckyP
12-08-2011, 17:44
I think it is a good round and the dept. supplies it.

Sounds like good enough reasoning right there.

collim1
12-08-2011, 17:53
I like both as well. The only thing that I am hesitant about is going from a DA/SA to a striker fired duty gun. Carry a Sig now, like the Beretta better. Being able to cock the weapon while putting down an animal is a plus too, at least in my book.

If you carry a Sig now then why not stick with it? I love the Sigs and would be happy to carry a P220R with a light as a duty gun.

I am issued a P226 now, and while .40 is not my preference, it is a great duty gun.

Bullman
12-09-2011, 01:02
It so happens that I work for a SO that issues Beretta 96Ds but gives you the option of carrying a Glock 22 because that is what tac officers are issued. The 96D is a giant pile of crap, no reason to sugar coat it, at least ours are. The one they issued me had a bur on the firing pin and WOULD NOT FIRE. Of course I already had a glock 22 when I started and submitted my letter for carry before I even went to qualifications, someone else found out about my Beretta not functioning when theirs quit and needed a replacement.

We are in the process of transitioning to all Glock, the last guys to get one will be guys like me that already carry a personal one.

Agent6-3/8
12-09-2011, 08:31

This. Glock without a doubt.

Berettas are nice guns but I hate DA/SA triggers.

Bullman
12-09-2011, 09:03
This. Glock without a doubt.

Berettas are nice guns but I hate DA/SA triggers.

I have a lot of Smiths with TDA triggers, and I have to admit I like them a lot less since becoming accustomed to the "same every time" trigger on the glock. Been thinking of getting at least one of them converted to precocked DAO by Smith.

PinkoCommie
12-09-2011, 09:37
My choices would be "anything but Beretta" and "anything but .40". Given the two you mentioned, I would go with Glock (I carry one), but almost any other brand would come before Beretta, too (S&W M&P, any number of 1911s, Springfield XD, SIG, you name it). Beretta makes good guns. I just don't like shooting them. Caliber-wise, .40 is fine, especially if the boss-man hands it out, but I prefer 9mm or .45ACP, or .357SIG.

stopatrain
12-09-2011, 09:41
Glock!

JohnnyReb
12-10-2011, 13:15
It so happens that I work for a SO that issues Beretta 96Ds but gives you the option of carrying a Glock 22 because that is what tac officers are issued. The 96D is a giant pile of crap, no reason to sugar coat it, at least ours are. The one they issued me had a bur on the firing pin and WOULD NOT FIRE. Of course I already had a glock 22 when I started and submitted my letter for carry before I even went to qualifications, someone else found out about my Beretta not functioning when theirs quit and needed a replacement.

We are in the process of transitioning to all Glock, the last guys to get one will be guys like me that already carry a personal one.

We issued the 96D for nearly 15 years, with very limited issues, according to an armorer I know. Firing pins do need to be replaced from time to time, as it is an impact part, it can be subject to breakage.

What are your other issues?

Bullman
12-10-2011, 15:31
Well, the deputy who discovered my firing pin issue was stripping his on the line per instructions from a range officer and it sort of just fell apart on him shooting springs everywhere. No body likes the trigger pull on the Ds, Locking block failures and cracks, that is just what I remember. Seems like the barrels were painted too, and they shed the paint pretty easy.

4949shooter
12-11-2011, 05:34
I am just thinking out loud, but firing pins shouldn't be breaking.

MarcDW
12-11-2011, 05:44

Agreed, but even the HK USPc was know to have that happened.

CJStudent
12-11-2011, 10:00
Well, the deputy who discovered my firing pin issue was stripping his on the line per instructions from a range officer and it sort of just fell apart on him shooting springs everywhere. No body likes the trigger pull on the Ds, Locking block failures and cracks, that is just what I remember. Seems like the barrels were painted too, and they shed the paint pretty easy.

We use 92D Vertecs at my institution. I didn't have any trouble with mine at quals, other than the rail wanting to catch on the 6320 holster (I think they bought the ones for the regular, non-rail 92's) on the draw. I did, however, see a pin walk out while a coworker was field-stripping hers for cleaning. That one went to the armorers, but otherwise, little to no issues with us with them.

Bullman
12-11-2011, 14:44

The one on my issue Beretta wasn't really broke, I was told there was a burr on it that did not allow it to travel freely in the firing pin channel, it was new issue, never been fired, evidently not even test fired at the factory, because it wouldn't fire.

I have had a broken firing pin or two on previous guns, one was an interarms Star Firestar pistol, I believe there was a recall on those so I got it fixed for free.

4949shooter
12-11-2011, 16:27
The one on my issue Beretta wasn't really broke, I was told there was a burr on it that did not allow it to travel freely in the firing pin channel, it was new issue, never been fired, evidently not even test fired at the factory, because it wouldn't fire.

I have had a broken firing pin or two on previous guns, one was an interarms Star Firestar pistol, I believe there was a recall on those so I got it fixed for free.

That's good to hear. It's surprising your issue gun wasn't factory test fired. I guess Beretta was busy pumping out 92's, 96's and their military contract guns.

Bullman
12-11-2011, 16:53
I guess, I had always heard of Beretta being big on quality, I had never had any experience with them till I started here, needless to say I am less than impressed.

meeko
12-11-2011, 20:02
We use 92D Vertecs at my institution. I didn't have any trouble with mine at quals, other than the rail wanting to catch on the 6320 holster (I think they bought the ones for the regular, non-rail 92's) on the draw. I did, however, see a pin walk out while a coworker was field-stripping hers for cleaning. That one went to the armorers, but otherwise, little to no issues with us with them.

I'm not a die hard Glock fan but they are good guns and work with minimal repairs. Get the Glock! This listed above is why BOP has dropped the Beretta. We can't get parts for the Vertec model. Unless you get a Beretta 92 fs you will probably find parts avalability an issue. pins are always coming out on the extractor.

Not to mention the price on glocks is a heck of a lot better than Beretta
good luck

BuckyP
12-11-2011, 20:51
We can't get parts for the Vertec model. Unless you get a Beretta 92 fs you will probably find parts avalability an issue. pins are always coming out on the extractor.

I own a couple Vertecs. The only parts on the Vertec that are not the same as other 92s is the frame and the grips. :dunno:

JohnnyReb
12-11-2011, 21:23

Firing pins break, just as any contact part will, such as an extractor. Yes, it would suck if it happened on the street.

I have never heard of Beretta NOT test firing a gun. I really hope that was just a fluke.

But that being said, many agencies local to me issued the 96D with very few issues. Maryland State Police, Charles County Sheriff's Office, St. Mary's county Sheriff's office, Calvert County Sheriff's office, La Plata town police, all were issued the 96D at one point.

All of the above have moved on since Beretta no longer makes the 96D series guns, but it wasn't for lack of performance. Qualification scores actually went down when we transitioned to the M&P from the 96D.

My night stand gun is a 96D vertec right now actually :tongueout:

meeko
12-11-2011, 22:21
I own a couple Vertecs. The only parts on the Vertec that are not the same as other 92s is the frame and the grips. :dunno:

We use the DAO Vertec. There are a couple internal differences as well to the DA/SA Vertrec's. Ours came with cheap plastic guide spring rods. Beretta seems to have dropped everything but the military. Apparently FED LE agencies don't rate at least not on the DAO side!

JohnnyReb
12-11-2011, 22:28
All new berettas have polymer guide rods.

meeko
12-11-2011, 22:58

They are nowhere near as durable as the Glocks captive guide rods. We have had those break as well on our beretta Vertec DAO's. Don't know if we just got a bad batch or what. Dosen't matter now since Beretta lost our contract and once they get used up/ ie time for replacement they are not repairing them.

BuckyP
12-12-2011, 05:41
We use the DAO Vertec. There are a couple internal differences as well to the DA/SA Vertrec's. Ours came with cheap plastic guide spring rods. Beretta seems to have dropped everything but the military. Apparently FED LE agencies don't rate at least not on the DAO side!

Ok, yes the DAOs have a few different parts (Vertec or not). Yes, it is a real shame they dropped the ball on this, and lost a lot of LE contracts because of it (PA State Police comes to mind as well).

BuckyP
12-12-2011, 05:43
My night stand gun is a 96D vertec right now actually :tongueout:

Vertecs make great house guns. :supergrin:

Mines a G, not a D.
http://www.pollardfamily.net/al/homevertec.jpg

Bullman
12-12-2011, 13:14
Off topic, Meeko, I like the revolver in your avatar, 627 eight shot?

mixflip
12-12-2011, 13:26
As a guy who carried an M9 for years... I do not prefer any gun with a slide mounted safety. I do like DA/SA triggers for duty carry but I like my decocker/safety lever to be on the frame like they are on a Sig or non existent like on a Glock.

meeko
12-12-2011, 13:41
Off topic, Meeko, I like the revolver in your avatar, 627 eight shot?

Yes it's a 627. I have a 625 but the 627 is on my short list of "wants"

Bullman
12-12-2011, 14:48
Yes it's a 627. I have a 625 but the 627 is on my short list of "wants"

Mine too, and I want an A E Nelson frontbreak duty holster for it too I hope Santa lurks on Glocktalk. :whistling:

CJStudent
12-12-2011, 17:25

I still like them better than the Ruger P95DAO I used at Glynco, though.

meeko
12-12-2011, 19:04
[QUOTE=CJStudent;18277691]I still like them better than the Ruger P95DAO I used at Glynco, though.[/QUOTE

Don't get use to the Beretta's! They are going by the wayside sometime. Ruger has the contract unless someone in Central office listens to us line instructors and pick something the average staff member can use! 18 pound trigger pulls are not fun to try to teach the 5'3" females

lawman800
12-12-2011, 19:49
Actually, I liked the p series pistols from ruger.

KCHORNS
12-12-2011, 19:55
Although I really like my buddies Beretta 92 I wouldn't trade it for my G19.

JohnnyReb
12-12-2011, 20:06
I still like them better than the Ruger P95DAO I used at Glynco, though.

Don't get use to the Beretta's! They are going by the wayside sometime. Ruger has the contract unless someone in Central office listens to us line instructors and pick something the average staff member can use! 18 pound trigger pulls are not fun to try to teach the 5'3" females

18 pound trigger pulls? Are you refering to the Ruger DAO or the Beretta?

Scattergun1187
12-12-2011, 20:07

On my Beretta 96 A1. The first thing I did was replace the guide rod and spring with a stainless from Brownells. The had Trijicon NS installed. It shots great. Iso have a G27 that is excellent.
So should I sell my new Beretta 96 A1 for a G23?

JohnnyReb
12-12-2011, 20:16
On my Beretta 96 A1. The first thing I did was replace the guide rod and spring with a stainless from Brownells. The had Trijicon NS installed. It shots great. Iso have a G27 that is excellent.
So should I sell my new Beretta 96 A1 for a G23?

I have a 96G Special Duty. One of the first things I did, was replace the recoil spring with a wolff 18 pound spring. Stock is 13lb, the same as the 9mm 92s. The 18 pound is still very reliable, and reduces muzzle flip substantionally.

I have never seen a guide rod break, usually when you have a guide rod break in a gun, its because it was assembled incorrectly. In theory, the slick surface of the polymer guide rod, and its ability to flex with the functioning of the gun aids in reliability. I've never had an issue with a steel or polymer rod, so I can't speak to this claim.

As far as the G23 is concerned, it depends on what you want. A compact of full sized gun? Increased capacity? I like the feel and looks of the beretta more, but the G23 is a good reliable gun. It depends on your wants and needs.

That being said, I own a G22, G27, and G35. I do not own the G23, but I would like to one day.

meeko
12-13-2011, 05:10
18 pound trigger pulls? Are you refering to the Ruger DAO or the Beretta?

The Ruger. according to the info are security Officer recieved with the new Ruger P95's they have an 18 pound pull. It feels like an 18 pound. Our Berettas are long but smoth about 12 pounds. Like a slicked up revolver

JohnnyReb
12-13-2011, 06:32
The Ruger. according to the info are security Officer recieved with the new Ruger P95's they have an 18 pound pull. It feels like an 18 pound. Our Berettas are long but smoth about 12 pounds. Like a slicked up revolver

I highly doubt it has an 18lb pull. If it does, that is just a sin that would make baby Jesus cry.

CJStudent
12-13-2011, 11:01
[QUOTE=CJStudent;18277691]I still like them better than the Ruger P95DAO I used at Glynco, though.[/QUOTE

Yeah, I know we're not buying any new ones, but I'm pretty sure the ones at my institution are going to be here a while. We're an FMC, so yeah.

meeko
12-13-2011, 15:19
I highly doubt it has an 18lb pull. If it does, that is just a sin that would make baby Jesus cry.

Believe it or not the Rugers BOP has have an 18 pound pull per the manuals we recieved (and the feel every bit of it).

Try working for BOP the non sence will make you cry!

Bullman
12-13-2011, 16:09
You must have a massive trigger finger from the work out it is getting, lol

meeko
12-13-2011, 17:13
You must have a massive trigger finger from the work out it is getting, lol

Almost!!!!!! The P89's we have are not bad. The Beretta's are the best but those new P95's are the WORSE I have ever seen. it takes about all the skills I have as an instructor with them.

Bullman
12-13-2011, 19:18
Is it anything an armorer could fix, like a spring issue, or are they just rough?

CJStudent
12-13-2011, 19:24
Is it anything an armorer could fix, like a spring issue, or are they just rough?

The ones we had at Glynco were pretty smooth, and I didn't think they had that heavy of a trigger, but I'm coming from using revolvers at the state. They just seemed to be, I don't know, flimsier, maybe? Not the frame or slide, which could be used a la Wyatt Earp's Buntline, but the guts. I'm not an armorer or anything, but that was my impression shooting the things. And the mags were POS.

meeko
12-13-2011, 20:08

We are hoping they will "break in" these are brand new. We used them and Beretta's for annual firearms training. As far as replacing springs ie making lighter pulls. In a normal agency sure however, Not going to or be allowed to happen in BOP!