Anyone in LE in Arkansas here? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone in LE in Arkansas here?

Rabbi
12-06-2011, 13:35
A googling I have gone, but the information seems to be...lacking.

A few questions.

How many hours is your basic academy/requirments to take your State Peace Officer exam?

What are the requirments to challenge this test?

It *seems* like in Arkansas, you have to get hired first, then you go to the Academy. Is this true? It also seems like there is only one Police Academy in the State for everyone?

Someone explain to me how the Part time level I and II works and Auxiliary? Are the I and II guys "24/7 peace officers" and the Aux guys "only on duty?"

Somene explain what your Constables are and if they have deputies.

The simple truth (and reason) is there is a very small chance I might be moving(back) to the Little Rock area next year. I would like to become a "reserve" (yall dont seem to use that term) somewhere in the Little Rock area....but Arkansas doesnt appear to be the same as Texas. As a reserve in Texas I went through the full academy, have the same CE requirments, went through a full FTO and have full 24/7 police powers. When I go on patrol, I get in a car alone and function as any other full time Officer on that shift.

It seems like Auxiliary wont give me that but the "Part Time" will.

Help?

OXCOPS
12-07-2011, 17:58
A googling I have gone, but the information seems to be...lacking.

A few questions.

How many hours is your basic academy/requirments to take your State Peace Officer exam?

Basic academy is 480 hours (12 weeks).

Regulation 1008 allows for a waiver of equivilent training. Check it out at http://www.clest.org/regulation_1008.html If you can get the waiver, you must attend their 40 hour refresher course to cover Arkansas stuff.

It *seems* like in Arkansas, you have to get hired first, then you go to the Academy. Is this true? It also seems like there is only one Police Academy in the State for everyone?

I know they have the main academy in Camden and another one in Springdale that does basic training. Camden does all other courses.

Someone explain to me how the Part time level I and II works and Auxiliary? Are the I and II guys "24/7 peace officers" and the Aux guys "only on duty?"

Aux. Officers are explained here. http://www.clest.org/regulation_1011.html

Part time I and II regulations are found here. http://www.clest.org/regulation_1012.html

I don't know, but here is the AR Constable Assn site. http://www.arconstableassociation.com/what-is-a-constable/

The simple truth (and reason) is there is a very small chance I might be moving(back) to the Little Rock area next year. I would like to become a "reserve" (yall dont seem to use that term) somewhere in the Little Rock area....but Arkansas doesnt appear to be the same as Texas. As a reserve in Texas I went through the full academy, have the same CE requirments, went through a full FTO and have full 24/7 police powers. When I go on patrol, I get in a car alone and function as any other full time Officer on that shift.

It seems like Auxiliary wont give me that but the "Part Time" will.

Help?

It will all come down to your documented training, not really the job you did after you finished that training. If you had the same certificate and training that a full time officer did, that *SHOULD* carry over in the same manner to Arkansas. Might not, but should. On the site I referenced above, get their contact info. Those are the boys and girls that would make that decision. Give them a call.

ryanm
12-07-2011, 18:31
13 weeks in actuality... not sure how that works out with the number of hours.

OXCops has this one handled

One has to be hired by a department (an elected Constable does qualify) to go in reality. I *think* the regs say anyone can go... but there is never any room available for that.
There are 2 academies, one in Camden, the other in Pocahontas (Black River Technical College). Camden has a reputation as more 'military-style'. Pocahontas seems like it focuses on the books more.
The State Police has their own.

There's a 100 hour (or maybe 110 now) PT2 course to get a PT2 or Aux certification.
Every department treats their Auxiliary guys differently. They have to work 'under the direction of' a non-aux officer. Some departments take that to mean in the car with them, some by radio on duty, some only by phone. Our local departments and SO will turn them loose in a car after they've passed some long ride-requirements. My ID said nothing about that and that agency also authorized off-duty carry for aux officers.
I was the entire department for 2 days once (as an auxiliary). Sgt was on vacation, officer 1 was out bad sick, Chief and officer 2 were involved in a car wreck and on pain meds. That left it with me.
Part time are pretty much universally considered as 24/7 officers (I've been Chief of a small department as a PT2... occasionally raises a few eyebrows).
PT2 can work up to 19 hours per week with the basic PT/Aux class.
PT1 needs a full certification and can work up to 39 hours per week.

Elected law enforcement in a single township (my county has 13 townships, used to have 27). I THINK Pulaski county only has 2 now. No deputies. No pay (unless the quorum court sees fit to do so, most don't). They don't have to be certified (similar to elected Sheriff) unless they want access to ACIC/NCIC and some other extras.

see replies above

Rabbi
12-07-2011, 18:56
There's a 100 hour (or maybe 110 now) PT2 course to get a PT2 or Aux certification.
Every department treats their Auxiliary guys differently. They have to work 'under the direction of' a non-aux officer. Some departments take that to mean in the car with them, some by radio on duty, some only by phone. Our local departments and SO will turn them loose in a car after they've passed some long ride-requirements. My ID said nothing about that and that agency also authorized off-duty carry for aux officers.
I was the entire department for 2 days once (as an auxiliary). Sgt was on vacation, officer 1 was out bad sick, Chief and officer 2 were involved in a car wreck and on pain meds. That left it with me.
Part time are pretty much universally considered as 24/7 officers (I've been Chief of a small department as a PT2... occasionally raises a few eyebrows).
PT2 can work up to 19 hours per week with the basic PT/Aux class.
PT1 needs a full certification and can work up to 39 hours per week.

So an agency can authorize off duty carry?

Also, as to what I bolded...does that carry over for LEOSA?

All of these fancy questions pretty much boil down to: Can a volunteer police officer (whatever you want to call it) in Arkansas have 24/7 powers and carry?

Arvinator
12-07-2011, 19:04
I live and work in Arkansas. In my town we have a police academy here. IF you are certified in Texas, Arkansas may accept your training, requiring you to take the one week refresher course. IF not, then get ready for I think it is now 13 weeks. (Piece of cake)
Little Rock is about to hire 60 cops I heard, and pay darn good. You go to the LRPD academy. IF I were younger, and a rookie I would go to Little Rock in a heartbeat.

CLEST in Arkansas is the people to call. Look them up and they can help you. Good luck!

lawandorder
12-07-2011, 19:35
Here is the web site with contacts for the LE standards mentioned above.

http://www.clest.org/

Deployment Solu
12-07-2011, 20:46
oxcops nailed it. PM inbound.

ryanm
12-07-2011, 21:53
So an agency can authorize off duty carry?
As it's been explained to us, yes. As long as the agency authorizes it (as a provision of LEOSA) you're good for LEOSA. We added the phrasing to our ID cards.

Also, as to what I bolded...does that carry over for LEOSA?
Yes. Part time officers have independent arrest authority needing no immediate supervision and meet all the qualifications under LEOSA.

All of these fancy questions pretty much boil down to: Can a volunteer police officer (whatever you want to call it) in Arkansas have 24/7 powers and carry?

Auxiliary (volunteer)... re-reading the definitions... I would say no.

reply above

Rabbi
12-07-2011, 22:13
reply above

...So, if I get hired as a "Part time" (which I assume requres them to pay me) and I work an hour a month paid...Am I good to go in terms of LEOSA (full 24/7 powers and carry)

ryanm
12-08-2011, 08:07
...So, if I get hired as a "Part time" (which I assume requres them to pay me) and I work an hour a month paid...Am I good to go in terms of LEOSA (full 24/7 powers and carry)

Yes, they would have to pay you and Yes, you would be good to go.
I've heard some officials insist that there are minimum per-month hour requirements for part time... but haven't seen it in the CLEST regs. Might be another good question for them.

Rabbi
12-08-2011, 12:09
Yes, they would have to pay you and Yes, you would be good to go.
I've heard some officials insist that there are minimum per-month hour requirements for part time... but haven't seen it in the CLEST regs. Might be another good question for them.

Cool. THAT pretty much brings the answer to a head then.

I would need to find an agency that would "pay" me for at least an hour (or some other minimum arbitrary amount of time) in order to be a 24/7 powers and carry (LEOSA) Officer in Arkansas.

I would guess that the agencies know this as well and some are probably receptive to it. IF...and it is a big IF, I ended up in Little Rock, I would have to find one of the Agencies.

In theory, I could keep my commission in Texas (where I am) or even someplace around Texarkana. Not that big a drive if they only want me a shift or two a month. That would give me LEOSA carry but I would not be an Arkansas LE (where I am living) and would not have jurisdictional powers in Arkansas.