filing down the magazine catch , bad lower? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : filing down the magazine catch , bad lower?

raven11
12-06-2011, 19:40
I'm building my second lower and on one of my lowers both magazine catch fit but the on the other lower the magazine catch is a bit too wide.

the lower is a Delaware Machinery and the lower is off a Rguns lower parts kit. needless to say this build is sort of on the cheap.

I'm wondering did I get a out of spec lower or sometimes you need to file the magazine catch down to get it to fit?

thanks everyone !

WoodenPlank
12-06-2011, 19:45
I assume you are referring to the bar of the mag catch/release, not the button. If you have to file something to get it to fit in the lower, one of those two parts is definitely out of spec.

AK_Stick
12-06-2011, 19:45
I think its more likely the lower is suspect not the parts kit.....

Maybe just me, but I'd mic both the lower and the button and file the one that's out of spec.

raven11
12-06-2011, 20:06
it is the the "bar" that won't fit. I agree Stick , I want to say it is the lower because both bars have no problem fitting the other lower so I guess i'll just file one of the bars down.

thanks guys

WoodenPlank
12-06-2011, 20:14
it is the the "bar" that won't fit. I agree Stick , I want to say it is the lower because both bars have no problem fitting the other lower so I guess i'll just file one of the bars down.

thanks guys

I would actually (CAREFULLY) try to work on the lower to get it back in spec. The problem you will run into either way is making sure the bar is positioned correctly after you are done filing to get proper magazine lockup and height. If it's too far off (high OR low, either from the bar being the wrong size or the latch cut in the lower being in the wrong place), youll either have to beat the magazine into the mag well with a hammer (and getting some bolt drag) or the mag sitting too low and getting feed issues.

Edit to add: You might want to take it to a local gunsmith that specializes in ARs, and see if they can get it back in spec.

faawrenchbndr
12-07-2011, 02:18
File or stone the mag release to fit the "out of spec" lower.
Always TRY to modify the cheaper & more easily replacable part.

vafish
12-07-2011, 04:45

I agree with this method as a first step. The lower is the firearm and is much more difficult to replace if you bugger it up.

zhix
12-07-2011, 11:24
I remember a while back some places selling that brand of lower at a super low price, then I read several reviews of holes being misaligned/missing/out of spec.

Mayhem like Me
12-08-2011, 12:05

THIS by a wide margin..
Also check to mahe sure some of the forging is not remaining as a ridge preventing the part from fitting , if you see a small ridge or hump knock that off with a file the lower should be forged, the mag catch will be MIM or cast and could have flashing on it as well.

GSSF17
12-08-2011, 17:14
...gotta kinda wonder what else may be out of spec. Scary.:whistling:

raven11
12-09-2011, 18:48
THIS by a wide margin..
Also check to mahe sure some of the forging is not remaining as a ridge preventing the part from fitting , if you see a small ridge or hump knock that off with a file the lower should be forged, the mag catch will be MIM or cast and could have flashing on it as well.

you have to be a mindreader before I started filing the magazine release bar I took a flashlight to the lower and there was a slight ridge on the lower inside the magwell, I took a file to it and lo and behold the magazine bar dropped in like normal

thanks guys , you saved me having to buy a new lower

Mayhem like Me
12-10-2011, 00:28
you have to be a mindreader before I started filing the magazine release bar I took a flashlight to the lower and there was a slight ridge on the lower inside the magwell, I took a file to it and lo and behold the magazine bar dropped in like normal

thanks guys , you saved me having to buy a new lower
Yep that happens even with quality lowers I build about 5 a year and every once in awhile I'll find a ridge somewhere. Glad you didn't have to modify the parts.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine