Fake/Counterfeit Ammo? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Fake/Counterfeit Ammo?

pistolcompetitor
12-07-2011, 00:49
Tried to search by keywords but I didn't come across it. I'm researching defensive ammo, which brought me here, to podcasts, to parts of the internet, to some of my LE contacts, etc.

Sometimes you see the post -- "Ammo xxx stinks. The quality control stinks. Look at these pics." Then people say "you're right that's why I use Ammo y". Or, "have you tried calling the manufacturer?" Or, "how long was that stuff in storage?"

One question in my mind-- how can you tell if the ammo you buy at the local show or online is the real thing? Can you tell if it's counterfeit? There's a lot of fake products out there and I really want to make sure the supply line from the real manufacturer to my pistol is intact. I'm starting to wish I can order directly from manufacturers like Winchester, Speer, or Federal.

unit1069
12-07-2011, 06:44
I've read of handloads substituted for the real thing at gun shows but don't know of any actual incidents. The last couple of shows I've been to there's been one dealer who has so much factory ammo for sale that if it was all counterfeit he'd have to have quite an operation. As it is, his prices are somewhat higher than what I can get online but still a good price when standing right in front of exactly the ammo you want.

fredj338
12-07-2011, 10:21
Well, tough to "know", but things to look for;
factory boxes & liners
identical, new, proper headstamped brass
proper bullets
most factory rounds have some type of primer sealer, but not all.
SO buy from a reputable dealer/seller. As I have found in life. there are few deals too good to be true.

hotpig
12-07-2011, 14:16
unless you are talking about collectors ammo it just would not be worth the time.

tcruse
12-07-2011, 20:24
You bring up an interesting point. I have made a point of shooting a little bit of every ammo that is available. I see that the reviews from other people vary all over the map. Some of edifferences maybe gun related, however it seems too much of a variance. I see people recommend federal campion fmj and for me it is too dirty to use and very weak. Where some of the Russian stuff (Ruag precision zinc plated steel case) is very clean for me. I see people not like S&B or MFS 2000 brass and it is my favorite.

It is too bad that there is not a better non-subjective way to compare ammo.

pistolcompetitor
12-08-2011, 12:36
Well, tough to "know", but things to look for;
factory boxes & liners
identical, new, proper headstamped brass
proper bullets
most factory rounds have some type of primer sealer, but not all.
SO buy from a reputable dealer/seller. As I have found in life. there are few deals too good to be true.

interesting thanks for the post. what does primer sealer look like? I don't think my ammo has this

Joe@SBA
12-08-2011, 13:06
interesting thanks for the post. what does primer sealer look like? I don't think my ammo has this
I've only seen it on one kind so far, S&B...see pic. All other ammo I used, WWB, Speer, Magtech, Blazer Brass, sh1ty usa ammo all don't have it...most commercial factory ammo usually won't have it iirc.

http://img251.imageshack.us/img251/5076/mar2013.jpg

Spiffums
12-08-2011, 14:59
I've only seen it on one kind so far, S&B...see pic. All other ammo I used, WWB, Speer, Magtech, Blazer Brass, sh1ty usa ammo all don't have it...most commercial factory ammo usually won't have it iirc.

http://img251.imageshack.us/img251/5076/mar2013.jpg

Winchester and Federal use red. I have only seen it on 45 acp NATO ammo.

Gunnut 45/454
12-08-2011, 15:52
Could it happen sure never say never! Does it happen probably very rare! Could there be some yahoo out there selling reloads as factory ammo probably but I can't see where the profit margin would be there to make wurth while.:upeyes:

Leigh
12-08-2011, 16:04
unless you are talking about collectors ammo it just would not be worth the time.

Exactly.

While nothing is "impossible" it would be akin to counterfeiting "ones" instead of fives, tens, or larger denominations of cash.

hotpig
12-09-2011, 07:57
Winchester and Federal use red. I have only seen it on 45 acp NATO ammo.They also use clear.