First Shotgun [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : First Shotgun

G19Tony
12-07-2011, 00:06
Well... not really. I had a Benelli Nova for a while, but never shot it, so I sold it. After a couple years, I wanted to get another shotgun, so I decided on an 870 Tactical after doing some research. I'll explain why I picked what I picked. I knew I wanted ghost ring sights. I shoot AR's also and the commonality with sighting appealed to me. I wanted an adjustable stock with pistol grip for the same AR reasons. I wanted to be able to adjust the LOP and I'm comfortable with it. The Knoxx stock fit the bill. If I get a little recoil reduction out of the deal, great.

I looked into buying a pawn shop gun and getting a new barrel and building it. But in the end, I found a good deal on GB and I have a new gun to start with. $419 plus shipping.

The temptation to put an optic on it is strong. I have EOTech's on my AR's, and as anyone who has one knows, it's like cheating when you have it dialed in. :whistling: But, I really don't think it needs it.

I'm not enamored with the stabby thing on the muzzle, but I had to get that, to get the sights I wanted. If I need to poke someone, it should come in handy. I took it apart tonight and cleaned it up. Tomorrow I'm going to do the Aippi break in method and put 100 birdshot into the berm and make sure it works ok, then see how it does with the buck I had when I bought the Nova.

So, I throw the thread open to the experts of this forum. How'd I do? :dunno:

Flame suit on! :tongueout:

P.S. I WILL have an 870 like ArmoryDoc at some point. Maybe an SBS with wood furniture. :cool:

Here is my 870:

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b226/G19Tony/Fluffy%20Bunnies/DSC01442.jpg

WoodenPlank
12-07-2011, 01:12
Looks good to me. Get a quality side saddle (a Mesa would look great on there) and call it good.

bac1023
12-07-2011, 14:19
Congrats! :cool:

G19Tony
12-07-2011, 15:51
I put 120 through it today. 100 birdshot, 10 Winchester Ranger Low Recoil buck and 10 Hornaday TAP buck. No functional problems. Both buckshot loads patterned fine. A couple times the TAP hung up in the ejection port a little. I think I was short stroking a bit. A couple times I could only get 5 in the tube. It holds 6.

As far as the Knox stock goes. I really couldn't tell if it reduced recoil or not. I'm going to put the regular stock back on it and go out again. The stock did a bit of cheek slapping during shooting. Nothing bad, but I can feel it now. :dunno: Probably technique on my part. I envision doing some 3 gun matches with this, if I get the time off.

Overall, happy with the purchase. Just need to shoot more. I'm going to take a class next month. :supergrin:

glockenturm
12-09-2011, 02:59
Go on Aippi's site. He has the proper technique for using the Knoxx stock to prevent the slap.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

G19Tony
12-09-2011, 11:23
Go on Aippi's site. He has the proper technique for using the Knoxx stock to prevent the slap.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

I did read his site. I probably read something wrong. I'll be trying it out again. :supergrin:

mixflip
12-09-2011, 12:24
FYI most regular folks dont need a black tactical shotgun for home defense. If you want all the tactical doo dads thats fine but dont think for a second you "need" them.

A $150 plane jane pump shotgun can serve you well if you juts take the time to learn how to use it when you need to shoot move & communicate with it.

Most folks buy a gun and never invest in any real world training with it and think they are prepared. I bought a Ukulele once. Am I a Ukulele player now? Nope. Its still sitting in the garage collecting dust.

ArmoryDoc
12-09-2011, 15:45
You bought an 870 so you are definitely on the right track. The Breacher barrel (pokey thingy) won't hurt anything but is at best impractical for HD. The Knoxx is a good choice but I prefer std. stocks myself. Great choice on your shotgun there sir.

Everyone needs a good 870. :)
https://cache.nebula.phx3.secureserver.net/obj/QjQ0N0Q3MzA5MUM5NkVCRTNCMDc6NTJmZjY1OWVhMGQ5MDAxN2IzYzViMjU5YTBmMzNhODg=?uid=9b63b374-64f0-40bb-9d19-9b09b6e52c8c

G19Tony
12-10-2011, 00:52
You bought an 870 so you are definitely on the right track. The Breacher barrel (pokey thingy) won't hurt anything but is at best impractical for HD. The Knoxx is a good choice but I prefer std. stocks myself. Great choice on your shotgun there sir.

https://cache.nebula.phx3.secureserver.net/obj/QjQ0N0Q3MzA5MUM5NkVCRTNCMDc6NTJmZjY1OWVhMGQ5MDAxN2IzYzViMjU5YTBmMzNhODg=?uid=9b63b374-64f0-40bb-9d19-9b09b6e52c8c

You could post that picture everyday and I'd never get tired of it. :cool:

ArmoryDoc
12-10-2011, 09:07
LOL ! Thanks Tony. Which reminds me - I need to add another coat of Boiled Linseed Oil today. :)

ArmoryDoc
12-10-2011, 09:20
Forgot to ask you Tony. Have you shot it yet ? Just curious how you like it. :)

G19Tony
12-10-2011, 12:02
Forgot to ask you Tony. Have you shot it yet ? Just curious how you like it. :)

I did shoot it There is a post about it up the page some. I didn't care for getting slapped with the Knox stock, so I removed it for now. I may try and find a youth stock at the gun show tomorrow. I'd like to reduce the LOP some. Overall, I like the gun. I'm glad I got an 870.

ArmoryDoc
12-10-2011, 12:26
Oh, sorry Tony. I went back and read that. Duh. lol.

Never mind. Maybe I better try this after some sleep. LOL.

G19Tony
12-12-2011, 00:00
I went to Bass Pro today and picked up a standard IC choke and got rid of the breacher choke. I also put a youth stock on, and it shoulders much nicer for me now. :supergrin:

micdude
12-12-2011, 01:43
I went to Bass Pro today and picked up a standard IC choke and got rid of the breacher choke. I also put a youth stock on, and it shoulders much nicer for me now. :supergrin:

So what happen to your sights after that?

ArmoryDoc
12-12-2011, 06:21
Did ya shoot it ? :)

WoodenPlank
12-12-2011, 07:44
I put 120 through it today. 100 birdshot, 10 Winchester Ranger Low Recoil buck and 10 Hornaday TAP buck. No functional problems. Both buckshot loads patterned fine. A couple times the TAP hung up in the ejection port a little. I think I was short stroking a bit. A couple times I could only get 5 in the tube. It holds 6.

As far as the Knox stock goes. I really couldn't tell if it reduced recoil or not. I'm going to put the regular stock back on it and go out again. The stock did a bit of cheek slapping during shooting. Nothing bad, but I can feel it now. :dunno: Probably technique on my part. I envision doing some 3 gun matches with this, if I get the time off.

Overall, happy with the purchase. Just need to shoot more. I'm going to take a class next month. :supergrin:

Yep, gotta rack it like you got a pair. It'll work itself out with a little practice.

Were you using any S&B ammo by chance? Their crimp method on some loads results in a slightly longer loaded hull than normal crimps, so it'll cost you a round of magazine capacity. I've had that exact issue with S&B buck shot.

As for the Knoxx stock, as others have said, you have to change technique a bit to get rid of the cheek slap issue.

You could post that picture everyday and I'd never get tired of it. :cool:

There really is something beautiful about that shotgun. LOVE the look of that stock.

His sights should still be functional, I would think.

G19Tony
12-12-2011, 10:12

It didn't affect the sights at all, as they are mounted to the receiver and the barrel. The stock only moved me up an inch, but it made a difference. I don't have big long monkey arms. :rofl:

G19Tony
12-12-2011, 10:15
Did ya shoot it ? :)

It'll be in the line up for the next range trip. I bought one of those bouncy balls you can shoot at. That should be fun. :supergrin:

Sgt. Rambo
12-12-2011, 10:38

WHY IS THAT SHOTGUN ON THE DECK!!!!!! Fifty push ups and ten laps around the house!!!!

G19Tony
12-12-2011, 12:36
WHY IS THAT SHOTGUN ON THE DECK!!!!!! Fifty push ups and ten laps around the house!!!!

:rofl:

gunslinger3
12-12-2011, 13:01
That is sooo beautiful. (can a gun be beautiful?:dunno:)

Anyway, as I approach the day I will purchase an 870 for HD. Would there be any reason to get black plastic over wood?

Sgt. Rambo
12-12-2011, 14:32

Anyway, as I approach the day I will purchase an 870 for HD. Would there be any reason to get black plastic over wood?

Mall Ninjas will more easily accept you with black plastic!! I have both and prefer wood.

G19Tony
12-13-2011, 01:10

Get what ever works for you. Don't worry about what folks think. :wavey:

ArmoryDoc
12-13-2011, 06:37
Thanks for the compliment. Black plastic is lighter in weight but there is no advantage in my opinion, other than that. I much prefer the wood.

I just finished the finish on the walnut butt and forearm. If the weather cooperates today I'll post a new picture after my last coat of BLO and Minwax Poly finish. It is absolute sweetness. Beautiful deep, rich oiled wood grain and a poly sheen. :)