What's better... TG or Spikes [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What's better... TG or Spikes

kylet
12-07-2011, 02:04
Getting my first AR and with the build that im getting from a friend i have the option between a Territorial gunsmith or spikes tactical lower.

He will charge me a little extra for the TG... so I'm curious if its worth it..?

Also.... it will be mated to a del-ton upper with a chromed bolt.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

WoodenPlank
12-07-2011, 02:24
Getting my first AR and with the build that im getting from a friend i have the option between a Territorial gunsmith or spikes tactical lower.

He will charge me a little extra for the TG... so I'm curious if its worth it..?

Also.... it will be mated to a del-ton upper with a chromed bolt.

IBTSS

Never heard of "territorial gunsmith". Spike's makes quality lowers, but if you put a junk upper on a good lower, you end up with a junk gun. Del-Ton seems to be creeping close to that "junk upper" status, IMO.

ColdBlooded
12-07-2011, 07:48
I just bought Territorial Gunsmith Lower from G&R Tactical for $30. I heard they(Territorial Gunsmith) went out of business or something. When it gets here I will take some pictures and compare it to my Spikes and PSA. I like my Spikes more than my PSA, but my PSA was $50, and my Spikes was $80.

K. Foster
12-07-2011, 08:00
Never heard of "territorial gunsmith". Spike's makes quality lowers, but if you put a junk upper on a good lower, you end up with a junk gun. Del-Ton seems to be creeping close to that "junk upper" status, IMO.

Basically this ^^^ Providing the lower is machined to spec, the only real difference is the roll mark. Iíve never heard of Territorial either and would question why you are being charged more for it. Also, Del-Ton has a spotty reputation. Some people like them, some donít. I would try to get an upper from PSA, Spikes or BCM.

boomhower
12-07-2011, 08:01
I wouldn't pay more for a TG lower. For the most part lowers are the same with as they are generally made in the same plant with different rollmarks applied. Depending on the company they may do some finish work that gives a higher quality end product or better quality control. In general the difference between a spikes lower and a psa lower is negligible at best, I bet tg falls into the same category.

IGotIt
12-07-2011, 08:37
Spikes..............

TedG
12-07-2011, 11:28
I've never heard of TG, but I definately like my Spikes lower and will buy another.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i90/TedG954/DSC_0002.jpg

BBJones
12-07-2011, 12:41
Bad news with the Spikes lower is you have to see that rollmark of two male sexual organs smashing a bug.

kylet
12-07-2011, 12:59
Gotcha. Thanks for the advice. He had a lot of good stuff to say about territorial, but doesn't spikes have a lifetime warranty?

Also. I have the option between a stag upper and the delton... I'm guessing stag is a better option. Can anyone explain to me why?

Thanks guys! I'm super new to ARs. :)

Disregarded9-side
12-07-2011, 14:40
Don't buy the "TG". Spike's is trusted and makes a quality product.

Bad news with the Spikes lower is you have to see that rollmark of two male sexual organs smashing a bug.
^This is true. And hilarious.

Semi OT: I have a rifle with a Del-Ton upper. Though it runs very well and has never given me any REAL reason to complain, I would not recommend them to another at this point as there are better quality options at excellent price points availible now. Things were not loc-tite'd, the BCG did not come properly staked--that said, they did make it up to me.
It hurts for me too, as they're based in North Carolina; a factor that had me leaning towards them for my purchase.

If I were you, OP, I would look hard at offerings from Palmetto State Armory.

kylet
12-07-2011, 14:44
Don't buy the "TG". Spike's is trusted and makes a quality product.

^This is true. And hilarious.

Semi OT: I have a rifle with a Del-Ton upper. Though it runs very well and has never given me any REAL reason to complain, I would not recommend them to another at this point as there are better quality options at excellent price points availible now. Things were not loc-tite'd, the BCG did not come properly staked--that said, they did make it up to me.
It hurts for me too, as they're based in North Carolina; a factor that had me leaning towards them for my purchase.

If I were you, OP, I would look hard at offerings from Palmetto State Armory.

The delton is way more in my price range than the stag is. I think he will charge me quite a bit more for the stag.

I will for sure do the spikes. Makes sense to me.

Disregarded9-side
12-07-2011, 14:57
Kylet, look here: http://palmettostatearmory.com/9007.php

At $599, I'd probably give this the nod over the Spike's. Seriously good price...

Also, read "The Chart" before buying: http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=6642

kylet
12-07-2011, 15:25
Well. This has mbus, ergo grip, moe stock, stag flat top upper w/ profiled barrel, chrome bolt, magpul sling and sling mount, magpul rail covers, and a nice spikes lower. All of it only has 50 rounds through it. For 750$.

Is that a good deal?

ColdBlooded
12-07-2011, 15:42
I would avoid purchasing someone's "custom" build, unless I had a list of exactly what was in it, and who built it. There is no way I would pay $750 for an AR with a list like the one posted.

kylet
12-07-2011, 15:48
I would avoid purchasing someone's "custom" build, unless I had a list of exactly what was in it, and who built it. There is no way I would pay $750 for an AR with a list like the one posted.

I'm confused. With the parts listed I thought it sounded like a good deal...
Does it change anything knowing that its only been shot a couple times at a range, he's a good buddy of mine, and I don't have to ship it or deal with an ffl.....?

ColdBlooded
12-07-2011, 15:51
I'm confused. With the parts listed I thought it sounded like a good deal...
Does it change anything knowing that its only been shot a couple times at a range, he's a good buddy of mine, and I don't have to ship it or deal with an ffl.....?

Sorry. Is the barrel stock Stag, if so I missed it. My response was from the hip, not knowing who made the barrel. If I assume he purchased a complete Stag upper, and complete Spike's lower w/Spikes LPK, put the two together and just changed the furniture, then I would say it is not bad. What rail houses the rail covers?

kylet
12-07-2011, 16:47
Stag 2ht full upper. it retails at 700 dollars...

im still not understanding how this isnt a good deal....?

txgunguy
12-07-2011, 20:21

Sounds like a good deal to me.

faawrenchbndr
12-08-2011, 02:53
I wouldn"t buy either the TG or the Spikes!

commando57
12-08-2011, 05:12

So what happened to the Del-Ton upper?? Seems you are changing things around.