EOW - Det. Bill Gannon, LAPD [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : EOW - Det. Bill Gannon, LAPD

blueiron
12-07-2011, 11:50
No, he wasn't a real cop, but he and Jack Webb inspired at least a few of us to become the real deal.

http://www.azcentral.com/ent/celeb/articles/2011/12/07/20111207m--s-h-star-harry-morgan-dies-age-96.html

Bodyarmorguy
12-07-2011, 12:57
Roger that, great actor in many roles. He played a great punch guy to Jack Webb's straight man. One of my favorite scenes from Dragnet is when he decides to "brown bag it" to work, but instead of a lunch bag or lunch box, he whips out a fishing tackle box and has all of his food compartmentalized.

A nice long life to age 96. RIP my friend.

Patchman
12-07-2011, 13:54
In Dragnet, did "Gannon" ever make Detective? I only remember him being referred to as "Officer Gannon."

Anyway, I always did enjoy his work. I guess the big movie-studio-in-the-sky just signed on another great actor.

Vigilant
12-07-2011, 21:12
Makes me wish there were an 'honorary section' at ODMP. I would vote for folks like Jack Webb, James Arness, etc as well.

ateamer
12-07-2011, 21:32
In Dragnet, did "Gannon" ever make Detective? I only remember him being referred to as "Officer Gannon."

Anyway, I always did enjoy his work. I guess the big movie-studio-in-the-sky just signed on another great actor.
Didn't they always refer to them as Sergeants Friday and Gannon? With Jack Webb's bent for authenticity, I'd be surprised if he would make a mistake like that since Detective is an LAPD rank, not just assignment. I think that they had witnesses and other civilians calling them "officer", though.

Favorite Dragnet scene: From the "Blue Boy" episode. Friday and Gannon bust in on an LSD party. Gannon pulls the plug on the stereo while Friday turns the lights on. Gannon: "Alright, everybody, sober up and try to pay attention. It's our duty to inform you of your constitutional rights. You have the right to remain silent..."

Hack
12-08-2011, 09:19
I liked his acting. He'll be missed.

Agent6-3/8
12-08-2011, 10:19
Hate to hear that...He was a great actor!

CAcop
12-08-2011, 17:13
He had a long life. Long enough for me to think he had died 10 years ago.

Patchman
12-08-2011, 17:41
He had a long life. Long enough for me to think he had died 10 years ago.

Ouch..., that's the last thing any actor or performer wants to hear. :supergrin:

lawman800
12-08-2011, 21:00
I love those guys... but I still think the original Adam-12 was the shizznit because patrol is where it be at!

RIP, sir, you will be missed!

CAcop
12-08-2011, 23:37
Ouch..., that's the last thing any actor or performer wants to hear. :supergrin:

Everybody needs to know when it is time to hang it up and go fishing.

Bullman
12-08-2011, 23:46
I love those guys... but I still think the original Adam-12 was the shizznit because patrol is where it be at!

RIP, sir, you will be missed!

You got that right brother...... but Gannon and Friday still were pretty cool.

Always wished I could be as good as Pete Malloy though.