.44 magnum [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : .44 magnum

interlake869
12-07-2011, 14:33
hello all

ive just taken delivery of an ruger redhawk 7 1/2 in. chambered in 44 mag... i purchased the gun to hunt with mainly and wondered what thoes who are in the know are using for ammo. ive not gotten into reloading yet so store bought is the only way for me. the game will be mainly whitetail with the occasional hog....
thanks

Steve in PA
12-07-2011, 14:48
Handloaded 240 or 300gr Hornady XTP's and H110.

fredj338
12-07-2011, 14:53
Handloaded 240 or 300gr Hornady XTP's and H110.

^^THIS^^ If you are not handloading now, then the 44nmag is a good reason. You are never going to get really good with one shooting it 20rds a year. If you want some factory ammo for brass, then any 240grJSP load is fine for deer or hogs. Seruiously though, a $200 Lee ss press setup will churn out plenty of 44mag ammo at 60% less cost than factory.:wow:

Trigger Finger
12-07-2011, 14:53
If you don't reload try using Buffalo Bore ammunition! Very hot, good for hunting.

smokeross
12-07-2011, 15:18
RELOAD. Or get with a friend who does. My favorite .44 mag load is the old Hornady 265 gr bullet made for the .444 Marlin. It has a heavier jacket and less exposed lead. A great penetrating round. The bullets also cost a lot less than the so called 'premium' bullets. I've taken bears, moose, deer, and elk with this bullet. I load up 23 grains of Winchester 296 with CCI Magnum pistol primers. I also load the 300 Hornady XTP, but the 265 is my all time favorite. I have shot thousands of them through my various 44's.

K.Kiser
12-07-2011, 17:19
Good avice so far, go at least 240 grains... I don't have any experience with Buffalo Bore, but I've only heard good things about it... You may want to look at Federal ammo too, they have a factory loaded 280 grain in the form of a Swift A-Frame which is sure to be a super nice round... My last handloaded batch was 265 Hornady's, and is sure to be plenty... Smokeross seems to have had some solid results, and the field is the real judge...

As mentioned practice is the best thing... A properly placed bullet is a deadly bullet, and a really good properly placed bullet is a home run... You'll get more good advice here, but just go at least 240 grain jacketed bullet with alead front at least... I'd like to try the factory Federal 280 A-Frame though, I've used the a-frame in rifles and they are very effective... I may handload some of the a-frames or Barnes bullets just for kicks - pun intended...

Zombie Steve
12-08-2011, 09:32
I'd start off with anything that's a jacketed 240 grain soft point. You really don't need the newest whiz-bang bullet design. The .44 mag has plenty of horsepower, and your 7-1/2" barrel will squeeze every bit of it out of the round. Find something that shoots well in your gun and you could stop there... but that's no fun. :whistling:

.44 mag is probably my favorite handgun cartridge to load for. With a small initial investment, you'll make better ammo for (easily) half the cost of factory fodder.

fredj338
12-08-2011, 10:23
I'd start off with anything that's a jacketed 240 grain soft point. You really don't need the newest whiz-bang bullet design. The .44 mag has plenty of horsepower, and your 7-1/2" barrel will squeeze every bit of it out of the round. Find something that shoots well in your gun and you could stop there... but that's no fun. :whistling:

.44 mag is probably my favorite handgun cartridge to load for. With a small initial investment, you'll make better ammo for (easily) half the cost of factory fodder.
SO true. I don't even shoot jacketed bullets in my 44mags anymore. A good 240-250grLSWC or LFP has about all the killing potential need to hunt larger game with. If you live in a state that mandates expanding bullets, find some one or cast your own cup points/HP.

Zombie Steve
12-08-2011, 11:00
Yep... with Fred's help (and others in the reloading forum), I've been casting 240gr lead semi wadcutters and have found them to be about the most accurate bullet out there for pistol. I just got a deer with them over Thanksgiving, albeit from a Marlin lever action rifle.

pochis
12-08-2011, 11:12
i use 240gr xtp for deer and hogs does fine

barth
12-08-2011, 16:25
http://www.garrettcartridges.com/garrettnew/images/310hammerhead.jpg

interlake869
12-08-2011, 16:52
well- we just returned from our first range workout.... shot almost 200 rounds out of the gun and i can say im in love.... all were accurate and recoil wasnt an issue at all.... i will say that the lead bullet stuff- which i shot last really gums up the bore and is kinda a pain to scrub out....

Zombie Steve
12-08-2011, 17:00
well- we just returned from our first range workout.... shot almost 200 rounds out of the gun and i can say im in love.... all were accurate and recoil wasnt an issue at all.... i will say that the lead bullet stuff- which i shot last really gums up the bore and is kinda a pain to scrub out....

Was it leading in the throat? If so, they may have been improperly sized.

interlake869
12-08-2011, 17:12
lead seemed to be in the first 3 inches of the barrel

Zombie Steve
12-08-2011, 17:21
Yep... either the boolit was undersized, or it was too soft an alloy for the speed it was being driven. Wrap a little copper Chore Boy around your brush... it will come right out.

Trigger Finger
12-08-2011, 18:17
Maybe some of you reloaders can help with this, but I heard from a couple of reloader friends that if you shoot allot of lead bullets that the last round you should fire should be a metal jacketed type bullet. Either a FMJ or Jacketed hollow or soft point. It helps blow the lead out of the barrel and loosens the rest.

When I was shooting with them it seems to work and at times it appeared to blow a little lead out of the barrel. It looked like a quick splash of water from the barrel. I don't know if this works but it won't hurt ether!

fredj338
12-08-2011, 18:23
Maybe some of you reloaders can help with this, but I heard from a couple of reloader friends that if you shoot allot of lead bullets that the last round you should fire should be a metal jacketed type bullet. Either a FMJ or Jacketed hollow or soft point. It helps blow the lead out of the barrel and loosens the rest.

When I was shooting with them it seems to work and at times it appeared to blow a little lead out of the barrel. It looked like a quick splash of water from the barrel. I don't know if this works but it won't hurt ether!
While it does push larger pieces of lead out, it raises presures doing it & irons in the micro particles to the grooves. For best results. shoot lead only or jacketed only, but don;t go back & forth. You will only plate the copper to the lead & vise versa, making a mess to clean it all out.:whistling:

Zombie Steve
12-08-2011, 18:41
Been my experience that jacketed bullets really smear it in and make it very difficult to remove.

1canvas
12-08-2011, 19:09
i tried many lead rounds over the years and always had a heck of a time cleaning lead out of the barrel no matter what brand i used. i only shoot jacketed hollow points for deer. they always stop them much quicker with better bloodtrails than when i used to use lead. for off the shelf hunting loads the 210grn or 240grn Gold Dot does a great job on deer but my best results have been with the CorBon 225 DPX. that DPX does more damage than any bullet i have ever used. i hunt on public land so i need to drop them pretty fast. i have been hunting deer for well over 25yrs with 44s.

interlake869
12-08-2011, 20:02
Been my experience that jacketed bullets really smear it in and make it very difficult to remove.

this is why i waited to shoot the lead last....copper seems easy to get out ( for me at least)

fredj338
12-09-2011, 00:40
this is why i waited to shoot the lead last....copper seems easy to get out ( for me at least)

The problem w/ shooting lead over copper is it sort of plates itself to the copper. Again for best results, don't mix them.
i tried many lead rounds over the years and always had a heck of a time cleaning lead out of the barrel no matter what brand i used.
Then the bore is rough or the bullets the wrong size for your bbl/cyl throats. I have many revolvers in all the magnum calibers & happily run properly sized lead bulelts thru them all w/ very little leading. If I want bigger holes, I use a cup point on larger game & LHP on smaller.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v703/fredj338/44-272.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v703/fredj338/452-251.jpg

1canvas
12-09-2011, 06:28
as far as lead vs jacketed hollowpoint for hunting is that both will give you a hole but the jacketed hollowpoint will not only expand more but the sharp petals will produce added lacerations, especially the DPX. if penetration is an issue [bear] than the cast may be the way to go but with a 44mag and whitetails i have never seen penetration to be an issue. i do know many people like cast and thats fine, but for me i'll stick with jacketed hollowpoints, i have seen the difference in wounds on game.

CanyonMan
12-09-2011, 20:47
I use 99% lead bullets ( i don't mean 99% lead content) for all my shooting/hunting needs, and reload my own.

If its a Smith or my Rugers in their various forms and configurations cals, or the Glocks.

For the 44mags I use these 250gr Keith from Lead Heads. He (Tommy) was given the duplicate of Elmer Keiths original molds, and is the "original Keith." Not a clone.

It goes end to end through large grizz from a 4" hog leg. I know of the guy who did it, and "I" can attest to numerous large game it goes end to end through as well.

http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab256/yrag5951/stuff%20to%20share/0906011458a-1.jpg

I also use these 300/310gr Cast Performance on large and dangerous game. Complete penetration with nothing stopping it:

http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab256/yrag5951/stuff%20to%20share/0413011654.jpg

I am not a cast lead hollow point fan, but I have ben sent 2,500 of these by my shooting parter and good friend JR owner of Hunter Supply cast bullets. He decided to add HP's to his long line of quality Hard Cast. He sent me 500 each in 5 different calibers to test for him. I am in the process now.. Takes a while. Ha.

So for the guy who is having to use a HP where he lives and still wants to use cast, here ya go. JR has had his bullets take down all 5 of Africas big five, and one guy on a video he has on his site used an air rifle at (i think 700/800fps) with one of these HS Hard Cast to cleanly kill a 2,000 # Bison, With a slow poke air rifle ! Uh, how about that ! ha.

http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab256/yrag5951/stuff%20to%20share/0505012025b.jpg

I'll use a heavy for caliber XTP on deer 'every now and then', but usually nothing but HC for me, and that has been for 50 years, and over 40 years loading my own, and a great deal of years as a guide.

Hard cast break through bone and keep going (if they are of the proper mixture and less than 6% antimony so as not to be brittle).

Rather than give a 20 page talk here (i'm temted to ha) i'll just let it go at that. I have seen tremendous devistation on even huge game animals with the "proper" HC bullet, and am inclined to use nothing else at all, except for as I said the occasional heavy XTP on a deer sized game.

Here is a pic from a Hunter Supply HP Hard Cast Bullet: this is serious damage !

http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab256/yrag5951/stuff%20to%20share/ls07.jpg

http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab256/yrag5951/stuff%20to%20share/ls16.jpg

This guy was DRT with the HS HC.

http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab256/yrag5951/stuff%20to%20share/DSC01536-1.jpg

Now, These are where I get my HC bullets and NO where else. I have NEVER found the quality from any other "manufactuer" out there period in all these years !

I know there are two amigos of mine here on CC/GT Fred and Zombie Steve, that put out dang good HC, on an individual basis, and I highly respect them. Fred has sent me out of being gracious, some of his HP hard cast, and they were top notch grade and made with much wisdom and care all the way down to the cosmetics and lube. Steve does a good job as well, and is taking meat with them.

But for those who do not cast their own, I highly reccomend (IF YOU RELOAD), these 3 I have mentioned above. The Keith by Lead Heads, and the 300/310gr for your 44'5 45's from Cast Performance, and the anything ya want up to and including HP Cast from my amigo at Hunter Supply.

Well I better jump off or this will be a mile long. HA. I use these. I hunt with these, and I have seen tremendous and horrible devistation with these 3 bullets. They all 3 are blended just right, and have less than 6% antimony in them, and are used by my friend John Taffin, Jim Wilson, and several others as well. They are top notch bullets.

Closing note. For the Non reloader.. I only reccomend "only" Buffalo Bore for factory rounds. They are true in every sense of the word to what they say.

Good huntin/shooting
God bless y'all.

CM

Tiro Fijo
12-09-2011, 21:52
CM speaks the truth of Leadhead Bullets. I use the same .44 Keith SWC he does but only in my .44 Special handloads. I don't need all that extra "horsepower" as .44 Mag. tears up my tennis elbow something fierce in a Model 29 and I don't need the Celebrex experience again. :whistling:
They are THE best "true" Keith style SWC's available commercially that I know of.

Not to highjack, but I recently shot some of the new Buffalo Bore .44 Special in their new 200 gr. FULL WC "manstopper" style as well as their new 190 gr. soft lead HP. No sissy stuff here. I'd like to see CM test a few "down on the farm" as they appear fantastic.

http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=282

http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=271

The HP is BHN 6. That's pretty soft.

Zombie Steve
12-09-2011, 22:25
I don't have a hardness tester other than my thumbnail, but for a .44 special, I'd think that 6 would work great. For low pressure rounds like .45 auto, I'll go as close to straight lead as I can and still get a good bullet / good fill-out in the mold. I'm guessing my .45's would be in the 6-8 range...

CanyonMan
12-10-2011, 00:15
CM speaks the truth of Leadhead Bullets. I use the same .44 Keith SWC he does but only in my .44 Special handloads. I don't need all that extra "horsepower" as .44 Mag. tears up my tennis elbow something fierce in a Model 29 and I don't need the Celebrex experience again. :whistling:
They are THE best "true" Keith style SWC's available commercially that I know of.

Not to highjack, but I recently shot some of the new Buffalo Bore .44 Special in their new 200 gr. FULL WC "manstopper" style as well as their new 190 gr. soft lead HP. No sissy stuff here. I'd like to see CM test a few "down on the farm" as they appear fantastic.
http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=282

http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=271

The HP is BHN 6. That's pretty soft.

LOL... hey amigo I am 60. And although i been doing this since i was 10 years old. "I still Hurt." :rofl:

I will do the test as I can. I am in very bad shape "in the back at present", all the bronc/ saddle bronc, and bare back, and just breaking green horses on the ranch as well, has caught up with me, and i am looking at 400,000 $$ of reconstructive surgery, and NO insurance !

So, everything I do is slow for now. haha. Good thing I am old and can give orders to the other hombres on the ranch, which BTW, is falling apart because of only 1" of rain in the last year, and all the live stock being sold off, and just a few things around here left to do. Some high dollar cutting horse training I still deal with, and have a mother in town to look after in her 90 year old age as well. So, I said all that to say, as I can, I will test more and post more pics, but I'll be VERY honest, i do not not know when right now, hope ya understand amigo !

I had a "surge tonight" so I posted as I did. haha. Yes, the Lead heads are excellent. They will blow from end to end through shirus (sp) moose, and also elk and large (very large) bear. I have total confidence in them.

I usually carry 'Cast performance' 300/310 gr in my Vaquero EDC ranch guns, or 45LC Vaquero's. Not needed that heavy, but just tradition with me, and takes out cougars DRT we find in the canyons, that may want live stock, (horses about all that is left here).

The heavy duty big game, moose and elk and bear protection/ HUNTING) is used in a Ruger 45LC 5 1/2" barrel, or a Ruger 4 5/8" for a packin gun. The "hunting" guns are SBH, and BH, in 5 1/"2".

Folks just do not realize how nasty these 250gr Keith LH's bullets are even at 1200fps, much less longer barreled ruger at 1500fps. I have never been mauled by a grizz, but have a ton of guide outfitter friends from Montana to to you name it and some of them have been in some scrapes. One bud used the the Lead Heads 250gr Keith and drilled a full grown grizz from chest to butt with NO recovered bullet in the 44mag.

I will try and find and dig out my own bear pics and other pics and explain what these HC will do and show what they will do.

Many hunts, some as a guide, some my own, but these hog legs with HC bullets are simply nasty to say the least.

I use them in my Smith M629 4" and go to 250gr LH Keith at 24.0grs H110 which is a pounder, but will take anything in America that walks or crawls. haha.

I am hurting after 50 rounds of these out here for play time, so I use a great deal of 18.5grs 2400, and 20.5grs 2400, and 10.0 grs Unique. with the same LH's 250gr.

Tommy at LH's explained to me for hours how John Taffin, and some other amigo's gave him through a looooong story, the secondary (sp) molds they got from Elmer Keith himself to run his 250 gr Keith bullets in. etc etc... But they are the 'real deal'. The genuine article, and there is no clone out there going to match these, as they are NOT cones, but the genuine article.

Well again, I feel like writing a novel, haha, so I best jump off, and go eat and get my beauty sleep.... (right!) haha .

Thanks for sharing, and for your love for the 'real deal...' It is about the only one still out there, and Tommy is sick and getting old, and as much as I care for him as a friend, I do not know what will become of those molds amigo, if something happens to him. :dunno:

Obviously care more about him tha the molds... duh. But I do hope he finds a way to pass them on to a compitent source to take them over.. etc..

Well sleepy, and rambling. And boring my own self. haha, best go.

God bless ya !

Thanks for the kind words, and your reply. As always, I enjoy hearing from ya amigo..

Buenos Noche'

CM

interlake869
12-10-2011, 08:39
thanks for the info guys... very good.... from my understanding- copper jacketed bullets are a little rougher on you bore than lead? and what exactly is the difference between a lead bullet and a hard cast lead bullet? casting process? anatomy? materials?

Zombie Steve
12-10-2011, 08:48
http://www.lasc.us/CastBulletNotes.htm

gatorboy
12-10-2011, 09:27
I like Speer GD 210, 240 and 270 SP & Winchester Supreme X 250. The GD 210's work very well in longer barrels. I've got a 3", 5" and 16" and use 250 gr. + in the 3". The Winchester 250's are loaded pretty hot. I've only used the GD 210 to hunt with, shot three hogs with my Marlin Lever and they hit hard and expanded so well i was able to recover two of three bullets.

fredj338
12-10-2011, 23:21
I don't have a hardness tester other than my thumbnail, but for a .44 special, I'd think that 6 would work great. For low pressure rounds like .45 auto, I'll go as close to straight lead as I can and still get a good bullet / good fill-out in the mold. I'm guessing my .45's would be in the 6-8 range...

Yeah, 6BHN is pretty much straight lead, too soft for anything much over 900fps, but can be used. Adding tin 25-1 casts nicely, gets the bullet up around 10BHN & is usefull to 1250fps+. Faster/higher pressures than that & straight clip ww run fine to any sane vel. form a 44mag handgun.

Darkangel1846
12-11-2011, 21:48
Back in the early 90s(1994) I picked up some Georga Arms .44 magnum 300 Gr. SPs. Holy Moly......Blew a hole the size of my fist throught a double layer of red brick at about 30 yards. Stopped using them in my S&W model 29 because the casings would expand so much that it was hard getting the spent casings out of the gun. Only use them in my ruger RedHawk now. I carry them when I'm in the deep woods.

vanilla_gorilla
12-14-2011, 23:27
I load a cast Keith bullet at 265 grains out of my Model 29.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b53/vanilla_gorilla911/casting051.jpg

About 1050 fps for most of my shooting. Load it up to 1300+ I ever thought I'd need that kind of velocity (haven't yet). Reloading cuts shooting the .44 down to a fraction of what it costs to by factory ammo.

fredj338
12-14-2011, 23:50
Stopped using them in my S&W model 29 because the casings would expand so much that it was hard getting the spent casings out of the gun. Only use them in my ruger RedHawk now. I carry them when I'm in the deep woods.
A certain sign of pressure issues or a severly rough cyl, but I'll bet high pressures. If the cases don't slide out w/ moderate thumb pressure on the cyl pin, that load needs to be backed down.

nickE10mm
12-15-2011, 07:07
I load a cast Keith bullet at 265 grains out of my Model 29.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b53/vanilla_gorilla911/casting051.jpg

About 1050 fps for most of my shooting. Load it up to 1300+ I ever thought I'd need that kind of velocity (haven't yet). Reloading cuts shooting the .44 down to a fraction of what it costs to by factory ammo.

GREAT looking boolits, sir. When I have the funds for another .44 I'll definitely also be getting some dies for the caliber.

BigMoneyGrip
12-15-2011, 10:35
Vanilla, where did you get those bullets? I'm looking for something to load for my Super Redhawk. Just something that is nice to shoot. I don't need a 300gr XTP going the speed of light, those days are over!

ithaca_deerslayer
12-15-2011, 11:20
My .44 shoots fine with Winchester white box 240gr semi-jacked soft points. Also likes Remington, same stuff or the hollow points. Works good on deer.

Also likes Blazer aluminum cased .44 special 200 gr stuff. Sometimes you can find this stuff inexpensive. Fun to shoot, low recoil.

Both loads shoot to the same point of imact, for me.

interlake869
12-16-2011, 15:54
well after much calculation i bought some new reloading gear.... lee classic turret kit- seems like a nice well put together kit- came with everything but the dies and components.... here goes another adventure

fredj338
12-16-2011, 18:06
well after much calculation i bought some new reloading gear.... lee classic turret kit- seems like a nice well put together kit- came with everything but the dies and components.... here goes another adventure

Do yourself a favor & get rid of the crappy scale when you can. Dillon makes a quality beam scale for $55. You are likely going to love rolling your own. A natural extension for the serious shooter.:supergrin: